GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Best course in NY?

Eddie1114 ·  
Eddie1114Eddie1114 Members  12WRX Points: 12Posts: 12 Bunkers

Wondering which golf course is the best in New York?

Which one do you usually go to and why?

Posted:

Comments

• az2auaz2au Scottsdale, AZ/New York, NYUnregistered  2302WRX Points: 463Handicap: 4.8Posts: 2,302 Platinum Tees

When we play in NY we usually play at Bethpage (Black or Red) or Trump. For as much love as Black gets though I think it is fine. Not great, above average for sure but nowhere near the rep it has other than being hard. Red and Ferry Point are both actually better IMO. None of them are world beaters for me. They're just solid, functional golf courses. If we're talking public play Montauk Downs is by far my favorite course I've played in NY and Turning Stoe-Shenendoah is probably second. None of those are remotely close to NGL, Frair's Head, Maidstone, Southampton, etc on Long Island or even Sleepy Hollow. NGL might be ny favorite course I've ever played.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BNGLBNGL Jupiter, FloridaMembers  1985WRX Points: 720Posts: 1,985 Platinum Tees

I haven’t played a ton in New York, but I’d imagine National Golf Links and Shinnecock are pretty tough to beat. NGLA is sandwiched between Shinnecock and Peconic Bay, personally I never understood nor cared for course architecture (even though I worked in golf my whole life) I just played the course as it was and really enjoyed playing there although it was only twice?It’s a serene setting, with the water the course and the mill on property. Then you go right next door and play another fantastic golf course. If money was no object I’d live in the Hamptons and play those golf courses everyday, in the summertime I don’t wanna be there in winter!

Posted:
  • RoodyRoody A little gust, Romes Rochester, NYMembers  1315WRX Points: 359Handicap: 5.1Posts: 1,315 Platinum Tees

I live in upstate NY, and I'll second the recommendation on the Turning Stone golf courses. They have three 18-hole courses, one of them that used to be a regular PGA Tour stop. I've done a few guys' trips there. I love the challenge of Kaluyhat, it's satisfying to come away from that course with a decent score. Atunyote, which is their PGA course is very well maintained, but pricey. And Shenandoah is fun too, but easiest of the three.

Posted:
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)
  • indianagolf2indianagolf2 Members  202WRX Points: 39Posts: 202 Fairways

Montauk downs

Posted:
  • ButterCutter2ButterCutter2 NYCMembers  356WRX Points: 104Handicap: 4Posts: 356 Greens

public or private? what part of the state? within 100 miles or 3 hours of NYC, you'll find the best private golf in the US. then again, you need to be able to get on them & that also includes places in jersey & some in connecticut.

Posted:
  • ZskiZski Members  23WRX Points: 26Handicap: 4Posts: 23 Bunkers

NY is a much bigger state than people from other parts of the country realize and there is a ton of good golf courses

while not the best in the state I live and am a member at The Lake Placid Club that offers 45 holes with 27 f them designed by Allister McKensize and members don’t consider those the best course. There are another 36 holes in town making it a great golf If you looking for fun golf vacation with incredible Mountain View’s check it out

I live here and I still take photos on the course al, the time

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • oldpalchampoldpalchamp Members  1259WRX Points: 187Posts: 1,259 Platinum Tees

I've been fortunate enough to play both Shinnecock Hills and Winged Foot West. Would be very hard pressed to find any courses superior to these. Long Island is filled with great golf courses. Fresh Meadow is very underrated. I live in the Chicago area, and if you dropped Fresh Meadow in there, it would easily be a top 5 course. It's probable only a top 30 course on Long Island.

Posted:
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers  7435WRX Points: 1,510Handicap: 3.9-9.3-7.7 (Health issue)Posts: 7,435 Titanium Tees

All good questions. At least some of which you'd have thought the OP would've answered himself.

And @Eddie1114 , like so many other newbies who have no idea about how the board works, they post a way too open-ended question, and appear to never to come back to their own thread. LOL

So I'll wait til he narrows down the choices a bit.

Posted:

• ChancemanChanceman Members  967WRX Points: 315Handicap: 14Posts: 967 Golden Tee

As an aside to main topic, are there any decent public access courses on Long Island apart from Bethpage Black/Red etc and Montauk?

Posted:
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers  7435WRX Points: 1,510Handicap: 3.9-9.3-7.7 (Health issue)Posts: 7,435 Titanium Tees

Nothing in Queens or Brooklyn to speak of.

Nassau County - Eisenhower Red (Senior Tour used to play there). Harbor Link is pretty good. Colonial Springs is supposed to be very good but I've never played there. Further out Spring Lake is a good track, Rock Hill isn't bad either. Only played it once but I seem to have good memories of Great Rock. Further out, just past Riverhead is L.I. National. Very nice course.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.