***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Ughhhh - Game is gone & no idea what to do..... Oh yea & yips on chipping.

Under2hours ·  
Under2hoursUnder2hours Members  1561WRX Points: 140Handicap: 13.2Posts: 1,561 Platinum Tees
Joined:  edited Jul 27, 2020 1:31pm in Instruction & Academy #1

I will never be a good golfer & no not one to practice or go to the range. I like hitting the ball, playing 18 & lucky to be a member & get out quite a bit during the May-October golfing season.

No I will not drive it 250+ or be a wizard with the flat stick, but started to feel pretty competent by the end of 2019, shooting low/mid 80's, making few mistakes and generally working my way around the course.

This year once we started posting scores in June, my HC is going up and up and no idea what to do.

I have too developed serious yips on my chipping by the green (40 yards in), often hitting it sideways.

Fortunately I am usually in play off the tee, but it is an adventure from there on in.

Before I didn't need to concentrate and simply was pretty easy to walk up, choose my club and swing, make decent contact and the ball was in the air somewhere in the direction of the hole.

Yesterday I was 0-18 in GIR's. Have had that happen a few times this year. Generally should be 5-7.

I was excited seeing my HC almost in single digits and now lucky to be 14.....

Luckily am out 3-5X/wk so it isn't a lack of play.

Sure I'll arrive early and work on some chipping, but no idea what is going on.

Any ideas or help is much appreciated????😖

Posted:

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • J13J13 Dad golf MarylandMembers  16625WRX Points: 1,625Handicap: +1.6Posts: 16,625 Titanium Tees

agree. First thing i would do though is keep my stats for the next 3-5 rounds so you know exactly where the problems are. Then find a good instructor and show him/her my findings

Posted:
    Driver     -     Cobra SZ Xtreme 9* w/ Aldila RIPX 75TX
    3W         -     Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
    Hybrid   -      Callaway Mavrik Pro 20* w/ Project X evnflow black 85X
    Utility     -     Callaway Xforged 24* / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
    Irons      -      Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
    Wedges -      Callaway MD5 50S, 54S, MD4 60C
    Putter    -      Odyssey Versa 6
    Ball        -      Srixon Zstar XV

WITB & Content - 
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1108083/j13s-witb-2020-irons-podcast-pics-added-pg-101/p1

Instagram
    On -, @Jminis13

• Under2hoursUnder2hours Members  1561WRX Points: 140Handicap: 13.2Posts: 1,561 Platinum Tees

I'll probably remain a slasher. Too old to start over.... Yips on chipping is a real issue (between the ears I imagine😉).

Yes practice, practice, practice......

What I have not done, which I often do is head out late in the day with 2-3 balls on my own.

Posted:
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers  8221WRX Points: 1,412Handicap: +1.5 (1194646)Posts: 8,221 Titanium Tees

what you need is a lesson...hitting 2-3 balls whilst having a crap swing ain't gonna help you at all.

the yips thing can be handled relatively easy in a lesson; but you'll have to practice with whatever drills and whatnot the pro gives you.

Posted:

SIM / 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / RIPx 65TX tipped 2" playing 44.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    SIM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• SocratesSocrates Warning Points 2+ WinnipegClubWRX  10350WRX Points: 1,277Handicap: 4ishPosts: 10,350 ClubWRX

Rebulit my swing at 56. It doesn't get much harder than that. And yes, I still have to work on the same damnn things over and over again, but it works.

Posted:
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
    MCC Align Midsize

• shantanu1203shantanu1203 Members  80WRX Points: 24Posts: 80 Fairways

Practice and Some lessons should help!

If only there was an easy answer to the Yips!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • LobbyLobby Members  127WRX Points: 110Posts: 127 Fairways

I fear many of us are destined to repeat, for the rest of our lives, our swing tendencies.

The insignificant advice I would give is to do some stretching / physical training. Make sure your body is capable of doing what you mind is telling it to do.

The lessons you took in the past are still applicable today. Work on what those lessons suggested

Posted:
  • PaintmanPaintman Members  91WRX Points: 57Handicap: 15Posts: 91 Fairways

This worked for me when I had the yips that looked like an anxiety attack. Bought a Cleveland smart sole wedge and chipper. They really are easier to hit , and the look is so unique that I felt like it had a shock to my system.

I had to swing them in a completely different manner, w/simplified swing thoughts. In time the yips subsided. Got lucky with that strategy. Went back to more traditional wedges. Kept the chipper in the bag.

Posted:
  • cadoipicadoipi Members  153WRX Points: 153Posts: 153 Fairways

Maybe stop playing golfcart polo and give yourself at least 2.5 hours for a round. 😁

Posted:
  • disco111disco111 Members  1340WRX Points: 421Handicap: 7Posts: 1,340 Platinum Tees

They say that bowling is fun.....................

Posted:
  • haroleaseharolease Members  658WRX Points: 86Posts: 658 Golden Tee

I started to chip with left handed clubs. Something completely different and make me stop thinking . And also cured the yips

Posted:

Advertisement
  • caniac6caniac6 Members  3657WRX Points: 1,314Handicap: 4Posts: 3,657 Titanium Tees

Lessons. A new set of eyes might see a simple fix. At least, get some help with your short game. That can make up for a lot of missed greens.

Posted:
  • FakeClubProFakeClubPro Members  197WRX Points: 82Posts: 197 Fairways

Plus 1 million. He needs instruction and maybe on the chipping get a Square Strike wedge. 😉

Also lots of chipping videos on youtube.

Posted:
  • Jim WaldronJim Waldron Balance Point Golf Schools Sponsors  3254WRX Points: 189Posts: 3,254 Titanium Tees

Send me a PM and I can advise you on the next steps. I work with golfers from all over the world who suffer from the yips, and have a webcam based remote lesson program with a proven track record for curing yips of all types: full swing, short game and putting.

Posted:
  • Under2hoursUnder2hours Members  1561WRX Points: 140Handicap: 13.2Posts: 1,561 Platinum Tees

Gone for at least one day...... Some improvement & will see what tomorrow brings. Left some shots out there and would be nice to get a break or two every once in a while......🤣

Posted:
  • naj959naj959 Members  1147WRX Points: 173Posts: 1,147 Platinum Tees

Agree with lessons from a "qualified" instructor. I took a few lessons from local pros but never made any improvement till I got online lessons from instructors on WRX. A good instructor will get you more consistent with what you've got if you don't want to do a complete rebuild.

As for the yips, I've battled them for probably close to a decade. Chipping never came natural to me even as a junior. Have chunked and skulled so many shots that I would pull putter almost every time I was off the green. Finally turned the corner this year by opening the wedge a hair to engage the bounce, and using the chest to rotate the club to the finish. I try and take the feel out of my hands and arms as much as possible and accelerate through the shot. I've hit more good shots around the green in the last five rounds then I had the entire previous year. I'm cautiously optimistic as my confidence is very fragile around the green but I don't fear a basic pitch anymore. The anxiety near the green is almost non-existant and I expect to hit a good shot now. I thought I was a head case before but good technique can quickly cure the yips. Highly reccommend watching the TXG youtube video with Gareth Raflewski. "Get into the turf"! (with the bounce)

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21795WRX Points: 5,791Posts: 21,795 ClubWRX

Try being the 2nd or 3rd group out. ;-)

Posted:
  • ebkebk Old and Broken Down Members  1221WRX Points: 97Posts: 1,221 Platinum Tees

Short game is best way to keep the index down. Get Monte’s short game video. It is simple, straightforward and it works. His explanations are extremely cogent.

Posted:
  • Joe DufferJoe Duffer Members  787WRX Points: 120Handicap: 2-3Posts: 787 Golden Tee

Did you reach out to Jim Waldron?

If not, DO IT! 👍👍

Posted:
    "Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.