***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***

Update 8/14 - ***Migration work continues. Estimate Go Live to new board 8/17***

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

What number iron to learn for beginners?

Darkside7 ·  
Darkside7Darkside7 Members  8WRX Points: 42Posts: 8 Bunkers

New beginner learning to play golf. What number iron is best to learn your swing? I got lots of different feedbacks. Some say 8 or 9 iron. Others say 6 or 5. So confused??? What do you guys think?

Eddie

Posted:

Comments

• cadoipicadoipi Members  153WRX Points: 153Posts: 153 Fairways

There is no single correct answer to this question. I would say anything in 6, 7, 8, 9 would serve you well.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX  2313WRX Points: 317Handicap: 15Posts: 2,313 ClubWRX

If it helps, most all the time when I work with an instructor they have me start with a 7i. Sometimes with a 6i

Posted:

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6 S, TM M5, 13*, MC Diamana Thump 75 S
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 119,  19* & 22*, KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 85S+
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 2, 55* & 60*, Accra 80i
    Putter: SC Special Select Newport, 355g, KBS CT Tour, 33”, SS Mid-slim 2.0
    Ball: Maxfli Tour
    Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid/BagBoy Quad XL
    Accessories: SkyCaddie SX400/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • Darkside7Darkside7 Members  8WRX Points: 42Posts: 8 Bunkers

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I should get a hold of an instructor.

Posted:
  • 7ironDave7ironDave Members  51WRX Points: 43Posts: 51 Bunkers

I may be partial but I say 7 iron.

Posted:
  • RoejyeRoejye Members  140WRX Points: 64Handicap: 19.4Posts: 140 Fairways

definitely get ahold of an instructor. I just went to a lesson with my friend who's a total beginner as well and the instructor said to focus on driver, 7 iron, pw, and lw for chipping.

Posted:
  • RoejyeRoejye Members  140WRX Points: 64Handicap: 19.4Posts: 140 Fairways

but in response to your actual question I would say 7 iron and pitching wedge.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • DallasDanDallasDan Members  35WRX Points: 16Handicap: 8Posts: 35 Bunkers

Posted:
  • oikos1oikos1 Members  2986WRX Points: 729Posts: 2,986 Titanium Tees

Eddie, you joined WRX nearly 7 years ago. Why do you see yourself as a "new beginner".

Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21795WRX Points: 5,791Posts: 21,795 ClubWRX

So much info about clubs flying around here from even day to day he's probably still trying to decide what set to buy!

It's part of the incre--mental game. ;-)

My vote, with ever changing lofts is 8, but seems like everyone says grab 7i. There may be good reasons for that, I have no idea.

At age 14, freshman golf practice the "coach" told everyone to grab 5 iron which for everyone back then were cheap blades and darn hard to hit. Hated it, lol, and always practiced with my 8 or 9 back then when I could, not that it really mattered, lol.

Posted:
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9564WRX Points: 3,179Posts: 9,564 Titanium Tees

7 or 8..but make sure its a blade so you know when you miss the sweet spot ;)

Posted:
  • indianagolf2indianagolf2 Members  204WRX Points: 39Posts: 204 Fairways

8 without a doubt

Posted:

Advertisement
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25613WRX Points: 2,831Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,613 ClubWRX

If you get a set of single length irons, which would be a good idea for a beginner, you can use 1 swing throughout the bag.

Posted:
  • Darkside7Darkside7 Members  8WRX Points: 42Posts: 8 Bunkers

I’ve had tumors removed from my head along with part of my skull. Multiple brain surgeries. A few minor setback.

Posted:
    Post edited by Darkside7 on
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16996WRX Points: 1,082Handicap: 4-5Posts: 16,996 Titanium Tees

I suggest a 5i but 6i works too. I am not the only one that thinks that either. Most demo clubs are one of those two. Longer is easier to use for a full-swing. IMO people tend not to full-swing shorter irons like 8i or 9i etc.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 3i i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 4i-PW, Steelfiber i110 "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber i125 "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 & AVX

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21795WRX Points: 5,791Posts: 21,795 ClubWRX

Almost every demo iron I see supplied these days for iron demo with removable head is 7i. Never see 5i, but I don’t get out much.

Posted:
  • bluedotbluedot Members  3993WRX Points: 636Handicap: 7.5Posts: 3,993 Titanium Tees

FWIW, I did a full rebuild of my swing at the end of 2019; three months of lessons, 30 minutes once a week, with a top notch teaching pro. For the most part all he had me hit as we worked on my swing was a 7 iron.

Late in the process, we did a couple of short game lessons, and we worked one session on partial wedge shots. But other than that, just the 7 iron. He never saw me hit a driver or hybrid until we did a playing lesson at the end of the process.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.