***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Unpopular opinions...

Comments

• BubbBubb Members  1345WRX Points: 159Posts: 1,345 Platinum Tees

Carrying 14 clubs is superfluous for most golfers.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • StarFleetGolferStarFleetGolfer Members  10683WRX Points: 332Posts: 10,683 Titanium Tees
    1. Forgiveness is over rated to a point
    2. Fitting is way over thought, 50rpm difference on launch monitor doesn’t mean squat to scoring
    3. shaft flex doesn’t matter as much as weight
    Posted:

Callaway Mavrick
    Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W
    Callaway Superhybrid
    Titleist 510 20
    Titleist T100
    Vokey SM7 54 and 60
    Scotty Cameron T22

• GSDriverGSDriver Members  1128WRX Points: 277Handicap: 3 to 4Posts: 1,128 Platinum Tees

You can buy a golf swing that works.

Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ Tensei AV Blue 65
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 2.0 Slate 58/64
    Odyssey EXO Stroke Lab 7 Mini
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • ItsjustagameItsjustagame Members  1404WRX Points: 223Handicap: 8Posts: 1,404 Platinum Tees

If I am reading this thread right we have just destroyed the entire golf manufacturing industry.

All putters are the same.

All iron designs play the same.

New shafts are just like old ones.

No lob wedges.

So there really only needs to be one company making equipment and they only need to make one line of clubs that should work for everyone?

Posted:
    GBB Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5 Project X EvenFlow Green
    GBB Epic 5 wood
    XR 3/4/5 Hybrid
    Steelhead XR Pro 6-GW - Mamiya Recoil 95/110
    Mack Daddy 4 54,58
    OWorks 2 Ball Fang Slant
  • ShankyouverymuchShankyouverymuch Members  21WRX Points: 26Posts: 21 Bunkers

Hydration and nutrition on the golf course is way overrated for most of us. You are only out there for a few hours, how hungry/thirsty can you get? I have played some of my best rounds so hung over I could have puked every time I bent over to tee it up. Very Tin Cup of me huh? 😄

Posted:
  • geochitowngeochitown Members  2395WRX Points: 368Handicap: 11Posts: 2,395 Platinum Tees

I'll go with one!

I don't hit the ball more consistently with a shorter driver,

I hit the ball more consistently with a longer driver...

Hogwash.

Posted:
    Lead Tape lovingly applied - Driver through GW
    TEE XCG7 Beta +1* to 11.5* - Testing at 43" w/ Matrix 7M3 stiff
    TEE XCG7 Beta 4W 16.5* - Matrix 8M2 Stiff
    TEE XCG7 Beta 22*H - Aldila Rogue 130 Black 85H TS
    TEE XCG7 Beta 25*H - Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft stiff 
    Wishon 560MC's 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) at -1/2" length KBS Tour C-Taper Lite R
    Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
    Wishon HM wedges 56 and 60 Wishon Stepless steel Stiff
    SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

Advertisement
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  14099WRX Points: 2,923Handicap: 3.1Posts: 14,099 Titanium Tees

the OG diamana whites and blues are amazing, As are the old Fujikura Japanese graphics tour specs

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu Blueboard 53x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Ping G410 7w 19.5* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki ax400 82x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey TVD 52m-58m-64* s400
    Piretti Matera Elite

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members  3324WRX Points: 892Handicap: 6Posts: 3,324 Titanium Tees

On the fitting front, I think a large part of the problem is we should really be saying ”find a competent fitter with lots of brands, and try different things to figure out which equipment produces the results you are looking for”.

just getting fit isn’t enough... if I get fit for shoes, anyone can match my size... an important first step... matching the shoes to what I am doing and helping me improve is a whole different level of skill.

guys like tiger CAN play anything but can also pinpoint exactly what they want... there are benefits and downsides between different clubs, and the player needs to figure out what benefits they are chasing and understand the downsides they get when maximizing the benefits.

Posted:

As of 6/5/20
    9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110 X
    13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha X
    18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce X
    6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0
    5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400
    4 iron / utility Sub 70 699 with Proforce 85 gram X
    50, 54, 60 Vokeys
    Tank Counter Balance #7
    Driver and Putter are set for now. Wedges are safe for time being.

• NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members  3937WRX Points: 358Handicap: 12.9Posts: 3,937 Titanium Tees

True story on your dress codes are stupid. We use to play a group outing with people who worked in IT , most from the building I worked out of with some vendors , IBM and such. Had a guy who was on the flamboyant side, who was told by the course staff to put his shirt back on the fifteenth hole. He put his shirt on and took his shorts off. So I’ll say certain dress codes are stupid....

Posted:
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
    3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
    3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
    6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
    7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
    50 degree GW Vokey SM7
    56 degree SW Vokey SM7
    Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

• dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members  701WRX Points: 414Posts: 701 Golden Tee

Confidence/placebo factors aside, the forgiveness difference between a so-called "players" CB (or even a semi-players CB) and modern blades doesn't exist. In every other professional sport where equipment choices are allowed by the players, they have universally chosen the equipment that is most forgiving and gives the best performance (skis, tennis, non-wood bat baseball/softball). Golfers have, in fact, done the same, it just doesn't happen to conform to what the marketing says should be the case.

Workability of blades is overrated. GI clubs do this just fine, too. So, I'm not really in the CB camp or the blades camp, I'm in the it don't matter nearly that much camp.

"Fitting" today most often just means selling stuff.

Using strokes gained to rank equipment effectiveness where the differences in strokes gained between one club (or ball) and another is measured in a few hundredths of a stroke is plain stupid. (Sorry, this comment belongs on another forum.)

Music on the course is fine. Smoking is not. Dress codes should go away.

90% of the playing population should walk at least 75% of their rounds.

Posted:
    Post edited by dubbelbogey on
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members  1296WRX Points: 907Handicap: 12Posts: 1,296 Platinum Tees

It stifles conversation in a forum when all posts in certain sub-forums devolve into waiting for certain knowedgeble posters to have the first, last, and only word on topics. (see club-building and rules forums)

Getting one putter and spending years making your stroke to work with it will pay more dividends than getting one putting stroke for years and seeking a putter that works with it.

Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

Advertisement
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members  2641WRX Points: 501Posts: 2,641 Titanium Tees

Refurbished golf balls are just as good as new ones.

Posted:
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
    Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter
  • molecularmanmolecularman Joplin, MOMembers  236WRX Points: 139Posts: 236 Fairways

Golf as a whole was way better 25-30 years ago.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Mookieb10Mookieb10 Members  423WRX Points: 218Posts: 423 Greens

1) your handicap isn’t a true handicap if you’re not hitting putts inside 4 feet.

2) A 16 handicap really and truly can be a 16 cap, and shoot an 80 against you in a tourney. It sucks, but good conditions combined with good luck and a little extra concentration, it can happen.

3) Rule ****’s can be hated and disliked, but they are necessary to keep competitive integrity.

4) you should never ever be sour about an opponent not giving you a putt in competition, if it’s that easy, go knock it in. The opposite is true too... you should have no regrets im winning a hole on a three putt from 6 feet

5) becoming an equipment junkie has increased my desire to play the game.

6) Callaway has fallen behind Taylormade in the quality of their woods and irons.

7) Teeing it medium low and squeezing a comfy bleed cut into the fairway will end up within 10 yards of optimized delivery if it hasn’t rained in the last week.

8) Practicing your short game with range balls is not maximizing your work.

9) Lastly, I understand what the analytics say and the importance place on driving the ball LONG... but from your one day event at a public course to PGA events... 95% of results at the top of the leaderboard come down to putting.

Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  31008WRX Points: 7,293Handicap: NONEPosts: 31,008 Titanium Tees

Popular opinion - You can’t start this game late and be any good at it.

truth - it all depends on how OCD the person is. If you obsess and have some athletic ability it makes no difference. But you must be a hard worker with a self starting ,no quit mind.

popular opinion- more bounce is best for everyone

truth - it hurts as many as it helps. And is dependent on turf and the swing. Those that say this usually play on soft courses and have never seen red clay based spots.

Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Artisan   53 59 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• uglandeuglande Members  498WRX Points: 335Posts: 498 Greens

Amen to #9. Tiger didn't win 15 majors because he hits it long. He's the GOAT because his game was complete and he was the best clutch putter of his generation. Guys like Phil, DJ, Brooks ... they hit it far but they've won their biggest events through excellence around the greens. Nobody is going to win a Masters if they're not putting extremely well. And let's not forget that when DeChambeau was the toast of the town after he won a few weeks ago, he was demolishing the ball but he also LED THE FIELD IN PUTTING! And if Rory was a better putter, he'd be #1 in the world for the rest of his career.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 1w 8.5 Ventus Blue 6X
    Titleist TS2 3w 7w Ventus Blue 7X
    Mizuno MP20 HMB 2i Hzrdus Black 85
    Mizuno MP20 Blades 4i-P Modus3 120
    Bob Vokey SM8 54D 58M Modus3 120
    Scotty Cameron 2020 S.S. Flowback 5.5
    Titleist Pro V1x #68 | Golf Pride CP2 Pro

• Stinger83Stinger83 Members  289WRX Points: 193Handicap: 2Posts: 289 Greens

The cross field opinion that "shafts make no difference".

Posted:

Driver: PING g410 plus 9* with even flow black 75x

Fairway: PING g410 16.5* Tensei orange 70x

Hybrid: PING g410 19* Tensei blue 85x

4iron: PING iblade Project x lz 6.5

5-PW : PING blueprint Project X lz 6.5

Wedges: PING glide forged 50/54/58 Project x lz 6.0

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab

Ball: PROV1

• Thamel90Thamel90 Members  104WRX Points: 33Handicap: 10Posts: 104 Fairways

Agreed on all of these. My biggest jump in consistency actually did come from going up to midsize grips.

Posted:
    Callaway XR16 10.5*
    TM SLDR TP 3HL 17*
    Cobra F8 3H 19*  &  4H 22*
    TM Rocketbladez HL 5-PW
    Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP 52*, 56* ; Staff Model 60*

Advertisement
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members  2641WRX Points: 501Posts: 2,641 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
    Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter
  • miamistompmiamistomp Members  102WRX Points: 73Handicap: 13Posts: 102 Fairways

My unpopular opinions

All courses should allow walkers

Nike golf shoes never fit well

Flat brim hats are stupid

put back yardage markers and ditch rangefinders

rubber nubby type golf shoes cost you strokes

Now get off my lawn

Posted:
  • SUPERGSUPERG Members  558WRX Points: 317Posts: 558 Golden Tee

I agree, most of my group brings a full cooler with gatorades, beers, water and like 5 sandwiches. It's literally 4 hours, we'll eat after haha.

Posted:

Taylormade M5 - 10.5 - Diamana DF 70 TX

Taylormade Jetspeed TP 16.5 - Tour Green 95 TX

Taylormade P790 19' 3 Iron - KBS C Taper 130X

Mizuno MP18 SC 4-PW - KBS C Taper 130X

Titleist Vokey SM7 - 50* 54* 60* - DG S400

Toulon Garage Atlanta

Advertisement
  • lrubeylrubey Members  6WRX Points: 44Posts: 6 Bunkers

Coco pebbles turns the milk to chocolate milk. Every. Single. Time.

Posted:
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers  536WRX Points: 320Handicap: 19Posts: 536 Golden Tee
    Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Titleist 818 H1 20.5| Fujikura Atmos Blue 8X
    Callaway Apex 19 5-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Clevelans RTX4 48
    / 54* / 60* |
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

Advertisement
  • double_ddouble_d Members  502WRX Points: 206Posts: 502 Golden Tee

Coco pebbles might be the greatest cereal ever invented.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.