***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Hosel issue

seth514 ·  
seth514seth514 Las VegasMembers  79WRX Points: 52Posts: 79 Fairways

Noticed the end of the hosel/ferrule was separating from the rest. Is there a quick, easy epoxy fix? If so, what kind of epoxy should be used? Thanks

Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash 9*, HZRDUS Smoke Black 5.5 60
Callaway Epic Flash 3W, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70
Callaway Apex '19 3H 20*, PX Catalyst 70
Mizuno MP18 MMC FLi-Hi 4 iron, Modus 105s
Mizuno MP18 MMC 5-PW, Modus 120s
New Level M-Type 50.07, Modus 125w
Callaway MD4 54.10 S, 60.12 X, DG S200 TI
Taylormade Tour Spider Putter

Comments

• EricWGolfEricWGolf Members  800WRX Points: 494Posts: 800 Golden Tee

Most likely just the plastic ferrule slipping up. If the adaptor itself doesn’t feel loose and you can move the ferrule without damaging it, it’s an easy fix: just put a small amount of epoxy below the ferrule, slide it back down, and wipe off the excess epoxy.

if you aren’t sure if the adaptor is loose or not, best to take it to a local club repair. Don’t want to risk the head flying off.

Important note: when testing the adaptor to see if it is loose, do not twist with any force. It could damage the shaft.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • seth514seth514 Las VegasMembers  79WRX Points: 52Posts: 79 Fairways

The rest of it feels solid, as far as I can tell.

Any type of specific epoxy to use, ideally from a local hardware store?

Edit: picked up some devcon epoxy, we’ll see how it goes.

Posted:
    Post edited by seth514 on

• NoodlerNoodler Members  889WRX Points: 156Posts: 889 Golden Tee

Because you need a quick fix without removing the adapter from the shaft, your best bet is super glue - just a tiny drop on each side of the ferrule collar.

The problem with using epoxy is that you need a clean prepped surface to create a good bond. You cannot clean this up properly without removing the adapter, so if you try to epoxy it, more than likely it will just happen again. Don't ask me how I know this... ;)

Posted:
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  25593WRX Points: 1,961Posts: 25,593 Titanium Tees

The problem with super glue is that while very strong in tension, they generally have very poor shear and peel strength - which is the main types for force needed to keep the ferrule in place. They also don't handle impacts type forces as well. So an epoxy fix will generally last a lot longer if done properly.

Not that it will hurt anything to try superglue. It is an easy fix and if it does hold, great. If not then you can use epoxy the next time it comes loose.

Posted:
    Post edited by Stuart_G on
  • seth514seth514 Las VegasMembers  79WRX Points: 52Posts: 79 Fairways

I lightly sanded the surface, so it was somewhat cleaned prior to the epoxy. I'll go hit it today and see how it holds up. Thanks for the info.

Posted:

• toddmanleytoddmanley Members  108WRX Points: 48Posts: 108 Fairways

I'd double check to see if the adaptor has slipped. I had the same gap last summer with an older Titleist hybrid and then the shaft snapped right below the ferrule on a tee shot at Pasatiempo #3 (long uphill par 3). Let me see if I can find the pics.

Posted:

Advertisement

Photo credits to my wife who caught the action with her pics. If you zoom in on the 2nd picture you'll see the head and shaft disconnected!

Posted:
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  25593WRX Points: 1,961Posts: 25,593 Titanium Tees

@toddmanley hard to say without more of a close-up on the adapter, but that looks like the adapter broke based on the 3rd picture.

Posted:

Correct, the adapter did break. Back to the original post I'd double check his own situation with the ferrule as with my experience it was the adapter which was slipping down the shaft. On a side note I reshafted my irons and have a better appreciation for how difficult it was for me to slip on with ease on the new ferrules. Not sure if it's the same with graphite shafts but with my own experiences I'd first look at the adapter slipping.

Posted:
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members  19718WRX Points: 1,760Posts: 19,718 Titanium Tees

What the heck kind of hole is that anyway? Looks like a driving nightmare!

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  5173WRX Points: 920Posts: 5,173 Titanium Tees

I'm hoping the dark grass on the right is also fairway just cut the opposite way to create contrast.

Loving the action photography!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members  4022WRX Points: 2,028Handicap: 1.7Posts: 4,022 Titanium Tees

Having played Pasatiempo, I can attest to this hole's difficulty. 220+ from the back tees straight uphill to a heavily bunkered green. Apparently the hybrid @toddmanley pictured above collapsed under the pressure. 😅

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818H1 18.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype 
    Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
    Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot

WITB Thread

Yup, that hole is no joke. Even with the adapter snapping the ball got up to the lower apron of the green...then rolled back down the hill! Had the club held together through the swing the ball would have had a bit more speed and would have been center of the green.

Posted:
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members  19718WRX Points: 1,760Posts: 19,718 Titanium Tees

Ah, so a par 3 then! Okay, hard to tell from the photo. I thought they expected you to hit the tiny fairway.

And pet peeve time: that short bunker is just plain evil. Players are expected to hit the green so why punish guys that duff their shot or don't have enough power to reach the green?

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members  4022WRX Points: 2,028Handicap: 1.7Posts: 4,022 Titanium Tees

Pasatiempo is a pretty ritzy course, not that $$$ = talent, but it is known for being quite tough. Lots of slope, forced carries, blind tee shots, and penalizing areas around greens.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818H1 18.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype 
    Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
    Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot

WITB Thread

Though plenty tough when you're not playing well (my best is an 81 - when I broke the club and then birdied the signature #16 hole, worse is a 91 this summer), it's a special treat to have an Alister MacKenzie course in the area to play.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.