***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Setting up driver 4-6” behind the ball?

jl923 ·  
jl923jl923 Members  21WRX Points: 48Posts: 21 Bunkers

Does anyone else do this? It helps me square up the face otherwise it’s a slice. Wondering if I’m masking flaws by doing this. Occasionally I hit massive duck hooks.

Posted:

Comments

• tthomasgolfer605tthomasgolfer605 Members  186WRX Points: 91Handicap: ProPosts: 186 Fairways

It worked for this guy.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Sons_of_PitchesSons_of_Pitches Members  188WRX Points: 80Posts: 188 Fairways

I do this which results in either a straight or slight draw. If I don't it gets my shoulders/hands/shaft too far forward; which in turn results in a severe fade/slice.

Posted:
    Post edited by Sons_of_Pitches on

Sons_of_Pitches,

• Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* /w Fujikura Ventus Black 6-S
    • Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* /w Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-S
    • Titleist 818 H1 23* /w Aldia RIP Phenom Hybrid 80g S
    • Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4-PW /w Project X LZ 6.0
    • Titleist Vokey SM7 Wedges 50.10F/54.8M/58.8M
    • Putter: Scotty Cameron 2018 Fastback / Tommy Armour Impact No. 3
    • Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

• SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX  1393WRX Points: 387Handicap: 6.5 and trendingPosts: 1,393 ClubWRX

I do it and really don't even know why or how I started it. Whenever someone new plays with us I will get asked about it and really don't have an answer. For whatever reason now the set up just fits my eye and gives me confidence over the ball.

Posted:

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim Max 10.5* | Mitsubishi Tensei Red Regular
    3 WD -        Taylor Made M6 14* | Atmos Orange Stiff 
    HYBRIDS-  Adams Pro A12 2/3/4 | UST VTS Silver Stiff
    IRONS -      PXG Gen 3 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
    WEDGES -  Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
    GRIPS -      JumboMax XL Ultralight grips on ALL 
    PUTTER -   PXG Gunboat H 
    BAG -           PXG Staff Bag
    BALLS -      Snell MTB Black / Pro V1

• xkilgorextroutxxkilgorextroutx Members  408WRX Points: 107Handicap: 15.5Posts: 408 Greens

I set up that way as well. Picked it up a few years ago after watching this video a few times when I was fighting a massive banana slice, and it worked very well for me. I've kept it ever since.

Posted:
  • andrueandrue Members  1565WRX Points: 301Handicap: 20Posts: 1,565 Platinum Tees

I've wondered about this for a while now. I have a nasty habit of popping up my driver and typically hit quite high on the face. I've long suspected it's because I return the club to where it was at address.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • spineshankspineshank Charlotte, NCMembers  658WRX Points: 123Handicap: 7.7Posts: 658 Golden Tee

Maurice Allen in WLD does it.

Posted:
    Taylormade SIM 9*
    Taylormade M6 15*
    Callaway Apex 18*
    Mizuno MP5 4-PW
    Callaway MD4 50* | 54* | 58*
    Scotty Cameron Newport Classic

Advertisement
  • me05501me05501 Members  445WRX Points: 36Posts: 445 Greens

It absolutely can work but it seems like it is probably a band-aid fix.

You're basically presetting the thought of releasing the club early to hit the ball with a square-to-closed face. Your subconscious imagines the ball to be where you set the head down at address and reacts as if that's the case, so you turn your hands over earlier and the ball goes straighter.

This will help people who don't rotate their body enough through the ball, but instead of fixing that issue it will probably cause you to continue that habit. It'll let you play with what you've got, basically. Nothing wrong with that!

Just my two cents, not a swing coach.

Posted:
  • jl923jl923 Members  21WRX Points: 48Posts: 21 Bunkers

That’s what I think as well. That I’m bandaiding and limiting my improvement. If my tempo is good and I swing relaxed setting up 4-6 inches works fine but when I get quick and tempo is off I hit the worst duck hooks and go ob. Issue is when I set up square maybe an inch behind ball like 3 wood I push it 50 yards right.

Posted:
  • juststevejuststeve Members  5330WRX Points: 642Posts: 5,330 Titanium Tees

Club head in the center of the stance is not a band-aid. It is the only place where balance can be perfect and you can be in balance with the target line.

Steve

Posted:
  • nitramnitram WestOK, on the South Canadian Riviera Members  5913WRX Points: 526Handicap: -.6Posts: 5,913 Titanium Tees

Like everything else, it'll work great as long as you set up the same everytime. But the moment you don't, you'll know it. Just remember, we are talking about missing the sweet spot by less than 3 mm's and a face angle +/- 1.5 degrees.

Posted:
    JBeam BM-435 Blackout 9* Accra TZ6 65 M5
    Exotics CBX 119 13.5* 3WD & 18* 5WD Accra TourZ 382 M5
    Exotics CBX 22* Hybrid Accra TZ5-95H M5 or
    Exotics CB2  21* 7WD Accra TZ5 85 M5  or
    Bridgestone J33 Airmuscle 19* Speeder 904HB X
    PING S55 5-P Mitsubishi MMT-125TX
    Chikara V1 Proto 51, 55, 59 KBS Tour X (8-iron)
    Cameron 009 Prototype (A010656)
  • me05501me05501 Members  445WRX Points: 36Posts: 445 Greens

That must be why all the best players...don't do it?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • juststevejuststeve Members  5330WRX Points: 642Posts: 5,330 Titanium Tees

If you are an elite athlete who plans to play and practice all day every day, then by all means model you swing after the "best players". If you don't meet those criteria you might try something else.

Steve

Posted:
  • NewgsNewgs Members  59WRX Points: 33Handicap: 8.8 indexPosts: 59 Bunkers

I agree with some of the "band-aid" comments. My guess is if you put the ball further back or the club more forward you would probably be hitting down on it instead of up like you should with a driver. Also IMO, the occasional duck hooks are because you are already in your follow through basically when you make contact. All that being said, do what works for you and you can repeat with high predictability of outcome.

Posted:

Cobra Amp Cell 9.5*

Titleist 917 F2 15*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist AP3 5-48*

Vokey SM7 52.8, 56.10, and 60.12

Scotty Cameron Del Mar

• footmashiefootmashie Members  112WRX Points: 60Posts: 112 Fairways

Not quite how the subconscious works. It doesn't imagine, it only does, because it knows where the ball actually is.

Posted:
  • ShakeyTShakeyT Members  290WRX Points: 120Posts: 290 Greens

I've played like this for years. It makes perfect sense to me.

Posted:
  • dsmildsmil Members  579WRX Points: 91Posts: 579 Golden Tee

I think it makes total sense if you're hitting the ball better this way or need some help with angle of attack. I'm actually surprised that more people don't do this. We usually sole the driver right behind the ball and have the middle of the ball line up with the top of the driver, which isn't actually where we want to hit the ball. It seems to me that this presets the club bottoming out behind the ball, which is good on the drives.

Posted:
    Cobra King F9 Dr- Matrix Black Tie 65M4 (67g) - 43.75 in.
    Cobra King LTD 3/4 - Matrix VLCT ST 82 (77g) - 41.75 in.
    TM Jetspeed Hybrid 22* - Matrix Ozik HD Program 95 (99g)
    Cleveland 588 CB 4-PW - DG S300
    Cleveland RTX 50*
    Cleveland RTX-3 54*
    Cleveland RTX-3 60*
    Evnroll ER7

Advertisement
  • jl923jl923 Members  21WRX Points: 48Posts: 21 Bunkers

Why don’t the pros do this? How are the majority of players able to square up the face without setting the driver 4-6 inches behind the ball? If you normally set the driver right behind the ball, would you hook the **** out of the ball if you set up 4-6 inches behind?

Posted:
  • xkilgorextroutxxkilgorextroutx Members  408WRX Points: 107Handicap: 15.5Posts: 408 Greens

Given that I've used this setup for around 4 years and it's continued to work well... I guess that's one heck of a long-lasting "band aid".

"Why don't the pros do this" always give me a chuckle. Listen, when I can practice 8 hours a day 7 days a week, I'll worry about what the pros do. Until then, I'll keep doing what makes my 4-5 rounds per month fun and enjoyable.

Posted:
  • 80sFredriksson80sFredriksson Members  521WRX Points: 102Handicap: -Posts: 521 Golden Tee

It makes sense to me that this can help with shoulder alignment and angle of attack, I dont put it that far behind but at least 3 inches

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.