***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Driver body movement....the Gary Player 'walkoff'

bulls9999 ·  
bulls9999bulls9999 GHIN Index = 12.8Members  1036WRX Points: 217Handicap: GHIN Index 12.8Posts: 1,036 Platinum Tees

OK, I've been noticing this for a while and especially my playing partners who call me out for my 'walk-off' to finish my driver swing (my wife calls it 'doing the Tango'). The problem is, I get my best shots when I do that, but it's unconscious. When I try to do it on purpose, I ruin the shot. If I was getting bad shots with that routine in there, I'd purposely be trying to stop doing it, but I get my best ones that way. I guess it's partly my body momentum carrying me through my swing to the point I have to take a step at the end of the follow through, and I mean an obvious step as part of the end of the follow through. Personally, I think my shoulder rotation moving forward at the end helps me keep the club face square to the ball a fraction longer and that's why I get my best drives (long and in fairway, but my upper body is now forward and forces me to take a step. Not sure if I should try to prevent that, but I kind of like 'don't fix what ain't broke' even though it is like a broken follow through....perhaps another version, "don't fix what works"? Good, bad? Should I try to ditch it?

Posted:
GHIN Index 12.7
Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Tensei CK Blue 60-Stiff 
GBB 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Mitsubishi KuroKage 50 
Callaway Rogue Pro 4-AW, Recoil 760 F3
Callaway Rogue 19* 3-Hb, Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

Comments

• kozubskozubs Members  333WRX Points: 120Handicap: 5Posts: 333 Greens

I wouldn't actively try to get rid of it if it's working. That's cause for years of frustration. More likely it will evolve over time and may fade away from other changes.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • HackerD  HackerD Student of the game Members  3239WRX Points: 191Posts: 3,239 Titanium Tees

I do it unconsciously sometimes after an aggressive swing. Reduces strain on the back as you turn on the follow-through. To me it’s not something to avoid. I figure if Gary Player does it, it must be okay.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 10.5°
    Adams Tight Lies Ti 3w
    Cally X2 Hot 3H
    Ping Crossover 3-4H
    Ping G410 5-UW
    Cally MD4 56.10
    SC Studio Select Newport 2
  • ArtMBgolfArtMBgolf Members  574WRX Points: 127Handicap: 8Posts: 574 Golden Tee

It might help not to step through by addressing the ball with more weight on your back foot.

If you have more weight on your front foot at address, you will more likely feel like stepping through.

Notice how you probably don't do it on the range. Maybe because we don't steer it on the range.

Posted:
  • bulls9999bulls9999 GHIN Index = 12.8Members  1036WRX Points: 217Handicap: GHIN Index 12.8Posts: 1,036 Platinum Tees

Hmmm..... good point, I don't do it nearly as much on the range.

Posted:
    GHIN Index 12.7
  • chipachipa Florida/Caribbean Members  373WRX Points: 96Handicap: Dec. '20Posts: 373 Greens

Gary Player is a small guy and had to do whatever he could to compete with Palmer and Nicklaus whom could outdrive him by probably 60 yards normally, so its no wonder he ended up stepping through shots to gain distance. It is clearly the product of the momentum of a vigorous leg and hip drive.

Some good teachers in golf surprisingly discount the very effective use of the lower body in the swing as essential for "easy" distance, yet we see that all the big hitters on the tour and in baseball have an active lower body. Part of the issue with some modern coaches is they don't understand the physics of the leg and hip drive - the goal isn't to have the hips turning or the leg driving at a high velocity at impact but rather early on in the downswing to load the muscles and tendons as stored energy that the hands and arms will impart to the ball through the clubhead right before impact.

Posted:

Macgregor 9.5 - F-35 16.5 - Acer XV Tour 23, 26, 33, 41, 50, 55. - Bionik 105

• jholzjholz Members  1960WRX Points: 632Handicap: 7.4Posts: 1,960 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
    Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
    Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25613WRX Points: 2,831Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,613 ClubWRX

Player isn't the only one that uses a "step through."

Posted:
  • bulls9999bulls9999 GHIN Index = 12.8Members  1036WRX Points: 217Handicap: GHIN Index 12.8Posts: 1,036 Platinum Tees

Yea, devious minded people who invented golf and running.

Posted:
    GHIN Index 12.7
  • TalldogTalldog Members  22WRX Points: 41Posts: 22 Bunkers

"...my playing partners who call me out for my 'walk-off' to finish my driver swing"

Own it. When they start to give you a hard time, reply: Gary Player did it, and he was one of the all time greats.

Posted:

Oh believe me, I love it. Like I said, it's usually associated with my best drives. I think I've got them thinking of doing it.

I think the walk-off allows me to keep shoulders facing target instead of turning on an axis, so my driver face might be square through the ball a tad longer than if I singly turned.

Posted:
    GHIN Index 12.7

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.