***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***

Update 8/14 - ***Migration work continues. Estimate Go Live to new board 8/17***

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

First venture into Toulon putters

jmac13 ·  
jmac13jmac13 Members  797WRX Points: 116Posts: 797 Golden Tee

Just purchased my first Toulon by way of CPO and it arrived just a couple hours ago. Needed a new putter like I need a hole in my head but have read a couple of cool things/gestures from Mr. Toulon on here and felt compelled to give a bit of support to what seems to be a very genuinely nice guy. Also thought I would post a few pics (even though I’m sure most have seen them) and give a brief initial impression.

The putter I went with is a San Diego with the stroke lab shaft. I prefer the anser style a little more than the anser 2 but being a lefty sometimes you take what you can get. My first impression out of the box was darn CPO for all the stickers they put on their clubs but man I’m glad that they got the “like new” designation right on this one! Second impression once the stickers were peeled and goo was removed was that this is a quality flatstick. I love that even though it is an anser 2 style that the edges are slightly rounded and not too squared off. My favorite putter maker is Byron Morgan and I have about a dozen Byron’s and the San Diego has the look of having the hand work to soften the putter that Byron personally does. I also like the look of the diamond milling but to be honest, I thought would offer a firm feel just based on the looks. I was wrong. It offers a very solid feel without being harsh or too clicky. I love the darker finish of the stainless head and the graphics/engravings are really well done. The jury is out on the stroke lab shaft but I can tell that it achieves one objective which is to make the swing weight lighter than a lot of today’s putters. It’s hard to believe it is a 360+ gram head based on what may of my 340g heads “feel” like.

The biggest disappointment was that I got the stock odyssey head cover. Not a big deal. I know that is what typically comes with their woods is a generic head cover but they really shouldn’t put the Toulon head cover in the photos if that isn’t what is going to come with the club. But in summary, in my opinion Odyssey has always needed a quality milled putter to compete with the likes of Cameron for that share of the putter market that isn’t an insert and they have a winner here. As an owner of milled putters from Byron, Bettinardi, Cameron, Grace, Guerin, Mills, and Tad Moore, this Toulon San Diego is right on par with any of them and I’ll definitely be keeping my eye out for an Austin to go next to it in my collection.

Posted:

Comments

• NativeTxnNativeTxn Members  88WRX Points: 70Posts: 88 Fairways

Do you prefer this to the Bettinardis? I'm looking at different putters. Had wanted to add a mallet to the collection, but just did a putter fitting and all the data said that I should stick with bladed. Even the mallets with toe hang I was pulled to the left (I'm a righty). Part of the fitting I tested a Scott Special Select 2 and have dabbled with it since - I really, really like it, but not sure that it's that much better than the Toulons, etc. The fitter told me that unless I just really wanted a Scotty, he'd suggest other options.

I've putted around PGASS with the Toulons they have, but the one by me hasn't had bladed ones to test. I've been eyeing an Austin, San Diego, or Chicago. But I've also been eyeing used Bettinardi 2018 BB1s as well - I've played around with the 2020 BB1 at PGA and have liked the overall feel.

So, any thoughts you have on how the Toulon compares to the Bettinardis and Scottys would be great.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • roundersmittyroundersmitty Members  1156WRX Points: 122Posts: 1,156 Platinum Tees

I went from Odyssey 7s to Toulon Las Vegas H7 Stroke lab. Was a great transition. No plans to change anytime soon

Posted:
    2017 M2 10.5* Tensei Blue 60s
    Exotics E8 16.5* Exotics Fuji 72s
    Adams XTD ti 20* Red Tie S
    TM P770 4-P Steelfiber i95s
    TM MG 50*,56*,60* Steelfiber i95
    Toulon Las Vegas H7 34" Stroke Lab 
  • jmac13jmac13 Members  797WRX Points: 116Posts: 797 Golden Tee

Personally, I’ve never been a huge fan of Bettinardi. I’ve never putted with the fly milled but I always felt the honeycomb milling was clicky and the fit face was mushy and I prefer the “in between”. As for Cameron’s, I would say they feel similar to what I remember the studio stainless line feeling. I have not tried any of the new Cameron stuff so I can compare it to them. Cameron’s will probably hold their value better but you can typically get the Toulon’s for considerably less through Callaway PreOwned or eBay. Hope this helps.

Posted:

It does. The newer fly milled Bettinardis seem to have a pretty soft feel from the ones I've messed around with at the store. The 2020 Scotty's just feel solid, good weight, stable, just overall really nice feeling.

CPO has a Toulon Austin in "like new" condition for not quite half of MSRP. I don't foresee not liking it, but I suppose you can never know for sure until you actually own it and play with it over time.

Posted:
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX  11751WRX Points: 1,455Handicap: 7Posts: 11,751 ClubWRX

I just unboxed my first garage custom, yesterday afternoon

Posted:
    GBB Ventus Black 6
    F9 Tour 3w-Ventus black 7
    F9 Tour 5w-Smoke 70
    F9 21* hybrid - ATMOS black 
    Mavrik Pro 5-A TT Elevate 
    MD5 53/58
    Toulon Portland Garage 
    TM TP5X 
  • SanzabarSanzabar Members  1319WRX Points: 130Handicap: 5.4Posts: 1,319 Platinum Tees

I am literally staring at a Las Vegas and pondering pulling the trigger.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max w/Evolution II 569
    Callaway V-Series Heavenwood
    Nike Vapor Speed 23*
    Nike VRS Forged 5-PW
    Nike Engage 50/56/60* & Callaway PM Grind 64*
    SeeMore DB4x PR

#Colts #COLTure

Advertisement
    Posted:
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members  4341WRX Points: 578Handicap: 8.2Posts: 4,341 Titanium Tees

Call CPO about the headcover, they might remedy that for you.

Nice stick.

I'm rollin' a Madison w/ the H1 neck. Original Toulon Design pre- Odyssey

Posted:
    Ping G400 10.5 (9.75) Hzrdus Yellow 75 5.5
    Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
    Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R (2019 Forged Tec SteeFiber i95cw R trial run ) 
    Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
    Vokey SM7 58/8 M 
    Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)/ Bettinardi BB1/ '16 Tiki
    Wilson Staff FG Tour/ Bridgestone Tour B RXS / ProV1
  • EaglesGolf99EaglesGolf99 Foxboro, MAMembers  2900WRX Points: 286Handicap: +0.8Posts: 2,900 Titanium Tees

Garage Palm Beach arrived this past week! In love! Hard to impress me. The Palm Beach very much impresses me!

Posted:
    2017 WORLD CHAMPION
    PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

W. I. T. B.

Callaway Bertha Epic Flash 9° Speeder Tourspec 553 X
    Callaway TC Super Hybrid 16° Speeder Tourspec 904 X
    Callaway TC Apex Hybrid 18° Speeder Tourspec 904 X
    Miura Craftsmen CB•301 4 - 6 iSeries Proto CWT 105 X
    Miura Craftsmen TB•000 7 - 9
     iSeries Proto CWT 105 X
     Miura Handgrind Raw 46 • 06 iSeries Proto CWT 105 X
    Miura Handgrind Raw 52 • 10 iSeries Proto CWT 105 X
    Miura Handgrind Raw 58 • 10 iSeries Proto CWT 105 X
    Miura Tour Milled Raw 64 • 16 iSeries Proto CWT 105 X
    Toulon Garage Palm Beach Stroke Lab Graphite Steel X
    Bridgestone Tour B XS '20
    Miura 
    SG•801 Caddie '20
    Jones Utility Trouper '20
  • PhabsPhabs Members  150WRX Points: 55Handicap: 2Posts: 150 Fairways

I’ve had my eye out for a cheap Austin with the top edge sight line on eBay for a while. I’ve heard good things from quite a few people.

Posted:

Taylormade M3 9* with Tensei Blue 60g

Taylormade M3 16*HL with Hzrdus Yellow Smoke 70g

Mizuno MP-5's 3-PW with C-taper 125's / Cobra CB/MB 3-PW C-Taper 125's

Cleveland RTX4 50/54/58 Raw finish

Cameron Studio Design 2 w Stability Shaft / Cameron Monterey Custom w Stability Shaft

• eric6624eric6624 ClubWRX  1147WRX Points: 138Handicap: 7.1Posts: 1,147 ClubWRX

I have a garage Austin and it it the best feeling Putter I have rolled. Not squishy like a deep milled or clicky . Just solid. A five footer feels like a five footer when you hit the putt if that makes sense. I have a betti with a fit face and I agree too squishy.I had the first Toulon from a few years ago and these feel even better. These are great high end putters and you can order custom through garage. I think the only downside is they will not hold value like a CAMERON unfortunately. I think callaway preowned selling them at such a discount REALLY hurts the brand and the value but good if you want a premium putter at a great price.

cant go wrong with one

eric

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jmac13jmac13 Members  797WRX Points: 116Posts: 797 Golden Tee

Sweet putter and a lefty to boot. Stroke lab shaft or just steel?

Posted:
  • eric6624eric6624 ClubWRX  1147WRX Points: 138Handicap: 7.1Posts: 1,147 ClubWRX

Just steel I’m not big on the stroke lab shafts

Eric

Posted:
  • ShakeyTShakeyT Members  290WRX Points: 120Posts: 290 Greens

Good putters & smart to buy pre-owned since they don't hold their value like other premium putter brands do.

Posted:
  • benrd5420benrd5420 Members  44WRX Points: 27Handicap: 14Posts: 44 Bunkers

I moved into a Las Vegas with the H7 neck. Usually seemed to gravitate to face balanced designs, but could not seem to miss with these in the shop. A few months later, still putting as well as I ever have. One thing I can say is that I hit my intended line way more than I ever have before. It goes where I tell it too. One thing that has been a struggle has been that I am leaving them short more than I ever have. I don't know if it is the milling, or that I am just more gun shy then ever before, but most of my missed shots were on the right line, but not the right pace.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.