***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Dynamic Gold 105 R300 vs S300

dsb0328 ·  
dsb0328dsb0328 Members  17WRX Points: 23Posts: 17 Bunkers

Yesterday I tried out some Mizuno JPX919 Forged irons with Dynamic Gold R300 shafts and hit them well. Then had to go home and figure out if the funds were there for them. So, I went back to the store today, and the same guy that fitted me said he would give me 10% off the already discounted price, so I bought them. Got out to my car and noticed he gave me the iron set with S300 shafts. I went back in and told him, but he said that after thinking about yesterday, he would prefer me in a stiff shaft anyway. (Actually, he said that after he tried to convince me that I hit the S300 yesterday, which I know I didn't.) He said my 7 iron swing speed was around 80-82, but I always thought it was 77-80. Maybe I was swinging faster yesterday. So I asked him if I could compare them to the 7 iron I hit yesterday. Unfortunately I wasn't swinging as well today, so I didn't see much difference except that the ball was going a little straighter with the S300, but maybe not as high with it. Just wondering if there will be a big difference between the R300 and the S300. The R300 felt really smooth yesterday, but didn't feel much different from the S300 today. I want to trust the fitter, but not sure if he was just in a hurry or not. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Posted:

Comments

• dsb0328dsb0328 Members  17WRX Points: 23Posts: 17 Bunkers

Forgot to mention that he also said that there's not going to be a difference in the 2 shafts at all. They're just a piece of steel. Is that correct?

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • mikec3672mikec3672 Mavericks Members  743WRX Points: 106Handicap: 10.0Posts: 743 Golden Tee

obviously he does not know what he is talking about. the R's in that weight are a lot easier to load and elevate. i have a 100mph swing speed w the driver and i play regular to R+. eg -- I play PX LZ 5.5 soft stepped 2x to makes them play like a 5.2-3 which around where I expect the R300's would be.

Posted:
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16996WRX Points: 1,082Handicap: 4-5Posts: 16,996 Titanium Tees

DG R300 flex is 127g & S300 flex is 130g. Not sure many can tell if blindfolded 3 gram difference between those shafts, but flex will be noticeable more when you're tired. That depends on your physical conditioning. Taper Tip S300 shafts have a slightly larger butt diameter than R300. Parallel tip shafts have the same size butt diameter.

If R300 felt smoother I suspect it's because "R" allows you transition to the right easier as opposed to S300. That's the case with me and 95g "R" in my 2i as opposed to 110g "S", the latter makes me work a bit harder due to the slightly more stout butt of 110g over 95g.

Personally, not sure I'd trust that fitter - his mistake and how he justifies it is NOT good.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 3i i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 4i-PW, Steelfiber i110 "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber i125 "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 & AVX

Thanks for the reply. I called a different location, same store, and they asked me to come back in to be properly fitted. I will let you know what they say. These exact shafts, by the way, are Dynamic Gold 105 S300/R300.

Posted:
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16996WRX Points: 1,082Handicap: 4-5Posts: 16,996 Titanium Tees

105 shaft is a different profile than what I thought you were dealing with. Much lighter but taper tip has only 2g spread between R & S. They also have a bit more tip spin so possibly higher trajectory as opposed to heavier shafts I was talking about. Good luck.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 3i i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 4i-PW, Steelfiber i110 "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber i125 "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 & AVX

• jeffrey rjeffrey r Members  2300WRX Points: 276Handicap: 13Posts: 2,300 Platinum Tees

Bear in mind, the DG 105 is simply the stock shaft with the 919 Forged, but may not be the best shaft for you anyway. It is easier for them to sell off-the-shelf, than to truly custom fit. So of course, get properly fitted--but my gut would say, go with the R300 as between those two. Over the 4 hours of a round, the extra effort that may be required to load the S300 could take a toll.

I had demo'd the DG 105, and it was not a great fit for my swing. Launch was a little low, and it felt boardy. At the time, much preferred the Modus Tour 105, and now, I would frankly choose something in the Elevate line (95 or 105). But that is me--good luck getting properly fit.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 10.5* Driver, Graphite Design G Series 60 R
    Callaway Big Bertha Epic 3 and 5 Woods, Accra Fx 2.0 200F M3
    Callaway Big Bertha ‘19 4 Hybrid, KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 65 R
    Mizuno JPX 919 HM Irons 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber 110 R
    PXG 0311 SW (54/14) and LW (58/12), TT Elevate Tour S
    Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

Advertisement
  • mikec3672mikec3672 Mavericks Members  743WRX Points: 106Handicap: 10.0Posts: 743 Golden Tee

Felt boardy for me too, and what I suspect, was just trying to move the set vs a true fit

Posted:

So I just got back from the other location where a different fitter agreed that I should be in the R300 rather than the S300. They said they can't offer other shafts because Mizuno isn't making the JPX919s anymore. However, he did think the DG 105 R300 was a good fit and I personally felt it was not as stiff feeling as the S300. (Like you described, very boardy.) Like yesterday, the R300 just felt smoother. And my height was much better than the S300 and my old clubs, MX300s.

Another point I forgot to mention before, when I went to a golf show earlier this year, Mizuno tested my swing, and said the DG 105 R was the #4 shaft recommendation. Modus 105 R, KBS Tour 90 S, and C-Taper Lite R were the only 3 ahead of it. So at least it's in the range of the top 6 that the Mizuno guys suggested. Now I just need to fix my outside to inside swing and I should be good to go.

Thanks for all of your feedback. It was very helpful.

Posted:
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX  3114WRX Points: 533Handicap: 7.6Posts: 3,114 ClubWRX

I think you got it right. All those shafts are in same weight category, which is what I notice most. The KBS 90 Tour S is actually a 102 gram shaft, so right in there. I do think you will be happier in the 105 R vs S300 given what the Mizuno fitting showed.

Posted:
    Ping G30 SFT driver, 10 degree, Oban Kiyoshi HB 75 stiff
    Cobra F9 Speedback, 14.5 degree, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Callaway Epic Flash, 17 degree, HzRDUS Smoke 70 stiff
    Callaway Rogue, 21 degree, Diamana BF 80 stiff
    TaylorMade GAPR Hi 24, KBS TGI 80 stiff

Srixon z765 (5-7(, z965 (8-P) Fujikura 95i TS stiff
    Callaway MD4 50 S grind, 54 W grind
    Ben Hogan Ft. Worth TK 58
    Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line putter w/Pure grip
  • Chuck905Chuck905 Members  1645WRX Points: 343Handicap: 7Posts: 1,645 Platinum Tees

Have you brought the S300 to the course?

Club head speed is just one equation in shaft selection. Personally, I have a loop and quick transition in my full swing so stiff 5.8-6.0 can keep up with me.

Yes, I have a tighter shot dispersion pattern and a touch lower ball flight with stiff over regular but I am not worried. Funny enough, a regular will spin too much that I lose half a club of distance.

Weight, find the static weight you are comfortable. I prefer S400 in lofted wedges but 120 grams in my PW-3 iron set. Helps me find the sweet spot the most times.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST200 Diamana Blue 7.5*
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 12.5*
    Ping G410 Crossover 17* Tour Shaft
    Ping i210 (3-PW), Px LZ 6.0
    Wilson Staff Model 54* SW and 58* LW
    Odyssey RX9 Putter
  • jeffrey rjeffrey r Members  2300WRX Points: 276Handicap: 13Posts: 2,300 Platinum Tees

Glad it worked out. I think you ended up fine. And the guy today was correct about not being able to order custom 919 irons anymore. So, what is out there, is what is out there. Enjoy the new irons!

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 10.5* Driver, Graphite Design G Series 60 R
    Callaway Big Bertha Epic 3 and 5 Woods, Accra Fx 2.0 200F M3
    Callaway Big Bertha ‘19 4 Hybrid, KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 65 R
    Mizuno JPX 919 HM Irons 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber 110 R
    PXG 0311 SW (54/14) and LW (58/12), TT Elevate Tour S
    Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

Advertisement

Thanks! I'm going to take them out in a couple days when it stops raining. Here's to hoping I love them!

Posted:

I'm going to take them out in a couple days to test them out on the course, so I'll let you know if I have the same issues with spin as you do. Pretty sure these are the right clubs/shafts for me after seeing the results on the simulator, but the real test will be live action. I know I've lost a lot of flexibility as I get older, so I'm thinking it's time to move into a shaft that's going to help me rather than tire me out... as I think @jeffrey r mentioned earlier. I hadn't even thought about that, but now realize it does happen with my old clubs, which are stiff shafts.

Posted:
  • jubilee_linksjubilee_links Members  196WRX Points: 92Posts: 196 Fairways

I was under the impression that in the DG line there is not a huge difference between the R and S flexes - the weights are pretty similar (2g difference).

Take them out and play - courses are very different to sims and once you start to factor in wind and real life shot dispersion you might find lower launch helps your scores.

Posted:
  • TommyjTommyj Members  750WRX Points: 262Posts: 750 Golden Tee

Based on your swing speed you are probably in between R and S. You were comfortable with the R300 and assuming your dispersion, launch and spin are acceptable, that's what you should go with. Some people can move easily between R and S and not notice much difference. I'm around the same SS as you. For me, and R flex allows me to maintain a nice smooth tempo throughout the round, with an S flex I try to work it if my swing is off and then things start going south.

Pretty nervy of the sales guy to just slip you the S300. I'd have pretty strong words with his manager. Now he's got you wasting a huge amount of time and effort second guessing your original choice, which was probably the correct one.

Edit: Just read most recent posts and saw you went R300, good choice.

Posted:
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members  2641WRX Points: 501Posts: 2,641 Titanium Tees

For me, my 7 iron swing speed is very similar to yours and I have iron sets that are in both DG R300 and S300. Me personally, although it is slightly heavier, I tend to gravitate iron sets that have S300 (or is close to it if they arent DG) and I feel they are a little more accurate, by not by much.

I remember reading somewhere that Karsten Solheim intentionally made all of their early Ping Iron sets with X-Stiff shafts for the sake of accuracy.

Posted:
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
    Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

Advertisement
  • 1qwik61qwik6 Members  11WRX Points: 13Posts: 11 Bunkers

If you are between R and S you could always hard step +1 and see if thats better for you. Thats what i did in my XP 95s and have been very happy.

Posted:

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme

Taylormade M2 3W/5W

Taylormade M4 Rescue

Ping I210

Cleveland CBX Full Face

Odyssey Exo Stroke Lab

Very grateful for all of the replies. They are truly helpful. I hope when I play tomorrow it will bring more clarity to what I finally went with. I do believe it's going to help me with fatigue and launch more than anything going with the R300, but we'll see. I'll take a little more distance too if that's the case, but wouldn't we all?

@1qwik6 What do you mean by hard step +1? Would you do that to a R flex to make it slightly stiffer, but not as stiff as an S flex? And if so, does that cost a lot to have done? I'm not familiar with this process.

Posted:
  • Chuck905Chuck905 Members  1645WRX Points: 343Handicap: 7Posts: 1,645 Platinum Tees

Been there done that. Personally, flex wasn’t the issue but fitness and static weight were the culprit. Obviously increasing my fitness helped with double header rounds and so did going with lighter shafts.

I have gone as low as 95 grams steel shafts that I could practice all day but at the trade off losing a full club distance.

Ive learned what works for me and now choose quality over quantity. That translates to quality strikes even if means one round per day or my practice sessions are now two hours not four hours long.

Good luck on your quest.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST200 Diamana Blue 7.5*
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 12.5*
    Ping G410 Crossover 17* Tour Shaft
    Ping i210 (3-PW), Px LZ 6.0
    Wilson Staff Model 54* SW and 58* LW
    Odyssey RX9 Putter

Hard stepping 1X, in the case of taper tip shafts, just means installing a 5 iron shaft in the 4 iron, a 6 iron shaft in the 5 iron, and so on for the whole set. Hard stepping 2X would be a 6 iron shaft in the 4 iron, etc. Each iron ends up with a shorter tip section and more on the butt end, resulting in a very slight increase in stiffness.

You would typically specify hard stepping when you custom order a set. You don't have this option as there are only stock sets of the 919 Forged available. It can be done afterwards but requires pulling all the shafts and then also putting in shaft extensions, because when you pull your 5 iron shaft and reinstall it in your 4 iron it will be 1/2" too short. I would never do this to a new set of irons. Hard stepping firms the shaft up by about 1/3 of a flex, many people can't tell the difference.

Just enjoy the R300's in stock form.

Posted:

Alright, so I went out yesterday, and even though the course was soaked, and my swing still needs a little work, I feel like I hit these clubs very well. They just felt smooth and like I didn't have to work too hard. Also, I was super surprised with the amount of action I got on the ball with the difference in new grooves vs old grooves. I know that would have been the case on both sets, but seems my old clubs were a little too worn down. I was even able to get the ball to check up very nicely on green side chips which helped tremendously with my scoring. So all in all, I'd say I probably went with the right choice in the regular shaft. Glad I questioned the first fitter. Thanks for all of your thoughts and replies.

Posted:

Advertisement

@Tommyj Thanks for the explanation! Doesn't sound like something I should get into with these clubs.

Posted:

I will follow up once more though that the 4 iron isn't the best feeling club in the world. Feels very clunky or hard when I hit the ball. Not at all as soft feeling as my MX300 4 iron is to hit. I just hope it's not a bad iron, or if that's even possible.

Posted:

The MX300 was 1025 grain flow forged while the 919 Forged has the addition of Boron which definitely has a firmer feel and a slightly clickier sound. But if you catch the sweet spot it shouldn't feel that much different.

Posted:

Good to know. I haven't hit it too much yet, so hopefully I will see a difference when I actually hit it right.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.