Bandon 1st Timer...did i bite off more than I can chew?

BG5

Gents,

Got a Bandon trip booked with 16 buddies in June 2021 and I am trying to make the most of it as you never know how long it will take me to make it back so I decided to go big......but I am not sure if the old body can take it. I will say that I am 39 and am in good shape but I am not exactly sure how my body will hold up after all this. I did walk 53 holes this year at Sand Valley without a Caddie and was pretty beat afterwards so I am def planning on taking a caddie for all my rounds. Anyway how does this look for a trip layout??? I wanted to play each course twice and I did decide to only play Bandon Preserve once. Has anyone else played this much golf and how did your body feel afterwards? Again I will have a caddie for all rounds and I am hoping this will make a big difference.

Day 1 - PM Round at Bandon Trails

Day 2 - AM Pacific Dunes PM Old McDonald

Day 3 AM Sheep Ranch PM Bandon Dunes

Day 4 AM Pacific Dunes PM Bandon Preserve

Day 5 AM Sheep Ranch PM Old McDonald

Day 6 Bandon Dunes PM Bandon Trails

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

Yes, done 36 a day at Bandon many time over the years (no caddies carrying bags).

Body felt 'fine' playing 36 a day 5 or 6 days in a row, but my group of guys all walk 100+ rounds a year so though we are not in good shape necessarily we are in very good golf shape. Are bodies are used to walking multiple rounds per week and our feet are nice and tough. My only advice is take care of your feet. If you can change socks and shoes between rounds you will do yourself a favour. If you cont have enough time to change shoes at least change socks. If you are getting a caddy it should be a breeze if you are used to walking lots.

I am close to 50 now and as I have played every course lots of time we tend to play 36 day one, 18 day two, 36 day three etc now. Not so much as our bodies can't take it, but 36 a day leaves everyone pretty tired and you end up not doing much in the evening as you have an early time tee the next day. 18 every second day gives us some more time to relax and enjoy some non-golf fun. We never would have considered this on our first few trips, but once you know the courses well, we don't feel there pressure to play every waking hour.

• Like 1

A foam roller and/or a handheld one will be your friend! Don't even have to do it for very long, just make sure things stay loose and don't bind up.

The itinerary looks great, especially with the Preserved wedged in there for a break. Caddies all rounds? You should be good to go.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Does anyone think I should play the preserve more than once? I did think about it but just thought the other courses would blow it away.....thoughts on adding the preserve another time and taking one of the 18 hole rounds off?

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

If anything add the Preserve at the end of 36 if you're feeling up for it. It's fun and all, but I'd never play it over one of the full courses. I think you're dialed, playing each course twice is great.

The only thing I'd change, would be to play one OM round in the morning. But really not a biggie either way.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Good, but ambitious Itinerary. At 39, you should be fine but you will feel it toward the end I think. I'm just a few years older than you and found that 6 full rounds plus the preserve (good on the day of arrival or departure) is my sweet spot. Any less and I feel cheated. On trips where I've done more, I start feeling some fatigue and don't play as well.

I do agree with the post above that Old Mac for one of the mornings is a good idea, an afternoon out there with howling winds can really take it out of you.

Preserve is the most fun I have ever had playing golf. They will let you go at a 16 player group typically and if you are playing all sorts of games you can have a great time. As others have said you can do it after 36, it is a mellow round with just a few clubs and a few beers.

On the same token, you can have a great time playing the punch bowl over beers.

Shortys is also a nice way to warm up so you can say you played all the courses.

You can definitely do it. I'm 42 and would happily give that itinerary a go! 3 thoughts I would add to the many good suggestions above:

You could book a massage in the evening about halfway through. I did 4 days of 36 last time I went and the massage after Day 2 was great.Near the end you could always play Bandon Crossings for an afternoon round in a cart if your legs are cooked but you still want to play. Very enjoyable course.Try to avoid burning the candle at both ends too much with late nights at the bar. Sure that won't be easy with 15 buddies, but if the worst thing that happens is you don't get much sleep bc you were up late having fun with your friends, that still makes for an awesome trip.Have a great time, sure it will be a blast!

Agree with the comments above. With a caddie for all the rounds (you definitely won't need one for the Preserve) and a mid-trip "easy day" you should be fine. Like 2BGood, we've settled into a good alternating schedule 36-18-36-18 with allowing for some extra holes on the easy days if we feel like it. It's working well for us.

Shoes and socks are the key thing (and sunscreen - it may only be 65 F., but the wind and sun will take their toll)

Once per trip on the Preserve is plenty, for me, but I've played it a bunch. Shorty's is almost as much fun, cheaper and less crowded, if you're there on the days the full course is open

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Shorty's doesn't have a green fee, there's just a donation box for a junior golf program.

At June rates you're looking at 130 for a replay on the big courses or 100 for the Preserve. If it was me I'd just stick with the big courses for only a 30 dollar difference. Worst case I don't feel up to a full 18, but there are numerous ways to play partial rounds on all the courses if you're feeling fatigued. But if you have the energy, play on.

It's used to be in the little mailbox looking shack near #1 where scorecards are kept and the play/don't play flag is at. In the off season I've seen in in the lounge at the practice center to protect it from weather, and they might have just moved it there permanently, so if you don't go inside for coffee or something it's easy to miss.

I realize I'm a lot older than you guys, but I do walk 18 2x a week. That schedule would put me in a grave. I play in a 4 day tourney in Las Vegas in August and we play a practice round so its 5 rounds in 5 days at 110 degrees and but the end of the week I've had enough golf - and that's riding. For sure its a younger mans quest though I am a little jealous of the time you're going to have.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I think it looks good! Change shoes and socks after each round and make sure the shoes you take are comfortable! Also a foam roller or bands to get a good stretch before and after!

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

When you guys are mentioning getting a few more holes in, I know there are some mini loops, but how do they handle paying for that? I don’t remember having a 9 hole option, because that sure would have helped. I think it was typically back 9 afternoon round that became a slog. I guess they figure it being a replay rate is fair if you play 9?

Anything after 36 is free.

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

Oh, got it. Unless they've changed recently, there isn't a prorated rate for nine holes after the first 18. I suppose someone could look the other way and allow it at Bandon since it's the only course that connects at the turn but it would be difficult to police at the other four courses.

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

I know it's hard to schedule with 16 guys, I'd contemplate switching up the rounds just from an AM/PM perspective, so your second round isn't the same time slot as your first. It was called out for Old Mac, but the courses play differently with wind, and Trails in the AM is underrated. Other than that, enjoy.

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

Epic trip.

I think Day 6 PM Trails will be difficult, if it isn't earlier. I'm the same age, in pretty good shape working out 3-5 days a week and did similar over 3 days last fall, and was pretty gassed by the day 3 PM round, but I carried my whole way and slept like crap the whole time there. I'd think with a caddie you'll be better prepared for sure. Whether the other 15 guys will be able to keep up is another story. Keep in mind, you have until 30 days I think before each round to cancel without being charged. You can get gift cards but should you decide day of or even a couple days out not to play you'll still have to pay. But I like the idea of getting as much in as possible if you can handle it. It will also depend on the weather when you're there as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 12:51 PM, VNutz said:

Epic trip.

I think Day 6 PM Trails will be difficult, if it isn't earlier. I'm the same age, in pretty good shape working out 3-5 days a week and did similar over 3 days last fall, and was pretty gassed by the day 3 PM round, but I carried my whole way and slept like crap the whole time there. I'd think with a caddie you'll be better prepared for sure. Whether the other 15 guys will be able to keep up is another story. Keep in mind, you have until 30 days I think before each round to cancel without being charged. You can get gift cards but should you decide day of or even a couple days out not to play you'll still have to pay. But I like the idea of getting as much in as possible if you can handle it. It will also depend on the weather when you're there as well.

I thought that only the first round each day was locked in and non-refundable. 

15 hours ago, philsRHman said:

I thought that only the first round each day was locked in and non-refundable. 

To be honest I don't know the rules on that, the round we had to cancel was a morning round. Regardless, times that are blocked off then not used would otherwise be lost revenue, so I'm not sure how different it would be. I'd call and ask for clarification.

On 7/30/2020 at 1:38 PM, BG5 said:

Gents,
Got a Bandon trip booked with 16 buddies in June 2021 and I am trying to make the most of it as you never know how long it will take me to make it back so I decided to go big......but I am not sure if the old body can take it. I will say that I am 39 and am in good shape but I am not exactly sure how my body will hold up after all this. I did walk 53 holes this year at Sand Valley without a Caddie and was pretty beat afterwards so I am def planning on taking a caddie for all my rounds. Anyway how does this look for a trip layout??? I wanted to play each course twice and I did decide to only play Bandon Preserve once. Has anyone else played this much golf and how did your body feel afterwards? Again I will have a caddie for all rounds and I am hoping this will make a big difference.

Day 1 - PM Round at Bandon Trails
Day 2 - AM Pacific Dunes PM Old McDonald
Day 3 AM Sheep Ranch PM Bandon Dunes
Day 4 AM Pacific Dunes PM Bandon Preserve
Day 5 AM Sheep Ranch PM Old McDonald
Day 6 Bandon Dunes PM Bandon Trails

Sounds like an epic trip. With a caddie for all rounds (except Preserve, not necessary there), you should be fine, as long as you are in halfway decent shape. Do a lot of walking leading up to the trip. I played 9 rounds in Scotland over 5 days, and actually found day 2 to be the worst, but was fine after that. No caddies, just push carts. 52 yr old at the time.

If you're not already locked in, I'd recommend Preserve on Day 1, it's a short par 3 course that will be a great intro to Bandon's turf and greens, and they let you play as much as 8some, so a great way to interact with more of your buddies at once.  Also, I'd recommend trying to play each course in the morning, as the winds pick up substantially in the afternoon. Trails in the afternoon isn't too bad, it's away from the shore and partially sheltered by trees.  At the very least, swap Day 5 so you get on Old Mac in the morning, that course is wide open and crazy windy in afternoon. Also, bear in mind in June you'll have tons of daylight, so you can even hit the Preserve late in the day each day if you want a little dessert, so to speak, to go with your main full 18 hole meals.

Bandon's same day pricing is: Round 1 - Full price, Round 2 - Half price, Round 3 - Free, Round 4 - $100 back to you.  Don't think that applies to Preserve, though.