***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Covered driving ranges safe during Covid?

el_hefty ·  
el_heftyel_hefty Members  133WRX Points: 78Handicap: 15.4Posts: 133 Fairways

What's the thinking on how safe it is, given Covid and all, to hit balls at a covered driving range? At a fully open range, I'd feel totally fine, just like regular golf (which I've been playing). But the ones around here are covered with walls on 3 sides, making them sort of an indoor/outdoor hybrid I'd think, as far as ventilation and Covid goes.

Posted:

Comments

• ArtMBgolfArtMBgolf Members  574WRX Points: 127Handicap: 8Posts: 574 Golden Tee

Where are you. I have only seen walls on 3 sides for winter golf with heaters, then they remove them for summer.

It may not be as safe as a open range, but that will depend on how crowded it is.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • el_heftyel_hefty Members  133WRX Points: 78Handicap: 15.4Posts: 133 Fairways

I'm in Seattle. And sorry, yeah saying 3 walls on all sides isn't exactly accurate. Here's a pic. I ended up going and felt safe mostly because it was so empty. My question would be more if the set-up had every stall taken basically...

Posted:
  • AimeeAimee Members  512WRX Points: 78Posts: 512 Golden Tee

That's the setup at the range near me, every other stall is blocked from use. Plenty of fresh air circulating. Although last time I went, not crazy about the dude who decided to hit barefoot off the mat...eww.

Posted:
    It's not how...it's how many
  • PhilsFanDrewPhilsFanDrew Members  597WRX Points: 98Posts: 597 Golden Tee

Honestly even if every stall was taken there looks to be more than 6 feet of distance between where you would be standing and where someone else would stand in the next stall.

Posted:
  • andrueandrue Members  1565WRX Points: 301Handicap: 20Posts: 1,565 Platinum Tees

Looks like zero to almost zero risk. Our range is similar but has wooden panels between the stalls. It wouldn't worry me to go there in the least.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

Advertisement
  • bonvivantvabonvivantva Members  279WRX Points: 76Handicap: 21.9Posts: 279 Greens

I've been to a range when the guy next to me is hacking at ball after ball and breathing heavy. Even outdoors and 6 feet away, I wouldn't be comfortable with that level of risk.

If you do go, I'd at least bring disinfectant spray/hand sanitizer for the ball machine, any transactions, etc. I don't personally understand the extent to which covid is spread through aerosolized transmission, but I'd definitely wear a mask and limit the time you're indoors, be it for transactions or any other reason. I'd also try to use the bathroom before you get there to avoid that risk as well. Always good to minimize risk, and better safe than sorry.

Posted:

Titleist R11s

Ping G2 3W

Taylormade Rocketballz 3H 19*

Mizuno JPX800

Cleveland CBX 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot RX #2

Snell MTBX

• scopekscopek Members  548WRX Points: 59Posts: 548 Golden Tee

It seems fine as long as it's spread out. I personally wouldn't be there if all the stalls were filled. Even though you might be 6 ft away when hitting, it seems difficult to maintain that as people are coming and going and breathing heavily. Wearing a mask is nice because it will keep others safe *from you*, but it won't help you that much in terms of keeping safe from others unless you're wearing an N95 with eye protection.

Posted:
  • xkilgorextroutxxkilgorextroutx Members  408WRX Points: 107Handicap: 15.5Posts: 408 Greens

Zero issue with a setup like that. If you're still uncomfortable, go at a time when it's less crowded so you'll know that you'll have some space and empty stalls near you.

Posted:
  • gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members  1927WRX Points: 616Posts: 1,927 Platinum Tees

You can always wear a mask. I wear one when I play with my buddies and same when I’m at our outdoor section of the driving range.

Posted:

The problem is that unless you're wearing an N95 the mask only protects you by 30% leaving a 70% chance of exposure if someone else has COVID. The point of the mask is to protect others in case you have COVID. If all parties are wearing masks the risk goes down to something like 1.5%.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • davep043davep043 Members  5325WRX Points: 2,498Handicap: 6.3Posts: 5,325 Titanium Tees

I know that the N95 masks are better than most, but as someone who has taken HAZMAT training, I understand that those N95 masks still don't get a full seal around your face. That means you're still breathing in some percentage of unfiltered air. If you have facial hair, the seal is even less effective. I'm not saying don't wear masks, doing so does help protect other people from you, and better masks (like N95) provide at least some additional protection to your own health. So lets all be safe, keep some physical distance (I hate the term social distance, we need to physically keep our distance), and wear masks to keep the people around us as safe as possible.

Posted:

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

Yes, you're absolutely correct on the n95 but they're better then the cloth masks, like you said. 100% agree with everything else you said.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.