GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

How forgiving are Apex CF19’s?

Mainehacker21 ·  
Mainehacker21Mainehacker21 MaineMembers  101WRX Points: 27Posts: 101 Fairways

Gaming mizuno HMP’s now and just don’t hit them that well. Even before buying I contemplated the apex 19’s. I know they’re in the players distance category, are these things going to be as forgiving as the HMPs? I see some reviews say they’re fine for mid to high handicappers and others say not so much due to the short blade length. Thoughts?

Posted:

Comments

• sshadow2sshadow2 Members  1331WRX Points: 184Posts: 1,331 Platinum Tees

They are great for mid to high cappers. They felt great, look great...and I think one of the best irons Callaway ever made. Quite forgiving. I had them for almost a year before trading them in for a set that worked better for me. The Cally's have somewhat hot faces and I found the distance deviation a bit high for me.

I wouldn't say they are better than the HMBs though.

Posted:

PING G410 Plus 9* Graphite Design AD XC-6
    Cobra KING Speedzone FW 14.5* 3W Graphite Design AD-DI 6
    Cobra KING F9 Hybrid 21* Fujikura Atmos Red 7 TS
    Cobra KING F9 Hybrid 24* Fujikura Atmos Red 7 TS
    Cobra Forged Tec 6-PW $-Taper Lite
    Cleveland CBX2 48* KBS C-Taper
    Cleveland CBX2 54* KBS C-Taper
    Cleveland RTX 4 60* TT DG S400
    PING Heppler Anser 2
    2019 Taylormade TP5 ball

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • iNeedMoreGolfiNeedMoreGolf RiMembers  496WRX Points: 207Handicap: 14Posts: 496 Greens

They are pretty forgiving but id like to say they arent as forgiving as your hot metal pros.. those are great irons... i was very close to buying a set.. but went mmc 20. Id say for sure the hmp are more forgiving by at least a notch or two. Any reason why your not more in love with them?

Posted:
  • Mainehacker21Mainehacker21 MaineMembers  101WRX Points: 27Posts: 101 Fairways

At first I was drawn to the lack of offset with the HMP's just looks wise, and like you said they are real forgiving which I need. But in looking again at a set of Cf19's the other day I think the increased offset in those might help me (been spraying everything right). I also think I do like the shorter blade as long as they can hold up for someone who definitely doesn't hit the sweet spot every time.

Posted:
  • trileriantrilerian Members  655WRX Points: 161Handicap: 13.1Posts: 655 Golden Tee

I just got the Apex 19s 2 days ago. Switched from Steelhead XRs. I was a little worried about forgiveness as well, the club heads are so much smaller than my GI irons. But I am having no issues. My miss is toe side of center by half an inch or so, maybe lose 5-10 yds max. They feel so good and so soft, but I've never played forged before. I haven't had them long enough to hit the really bad shots yet, but I'm sure it will come. But a decent strike produces good results. I think they are slightly draw favored, I am finding it more difficult to hit fades, but I haven't put my midsize grips on yet either.

Posted:

Driver: TM M6

Fairway(s): TM 2017 M2 5W

Hybrid(s): TM Sim Max 4H

Irons: Callaway Apex 19 4-AW

Wedge(s): Vokey 54s, 60l

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5

• iNeedMoreGolfiNeedMoreGolf RiMembers  496WRX Points: 207Handicap: 14Posts: 496 Greens

Thats another thing... callaway seems to be anywhere from strong draw bias to just a touch draw bias. I think the apex 19s are a tad over a touch draw bias if i had to say. I guess id just recommend tring to fix your shot to the right with your hmps before getting rid of them for the apex. I personally think the hmp are better then the apex 19 thats just me though and not to say the apexx are bad they arent. That being said... do what you feels best for your game.. sometimes that is the answer.

Posted:
  • TommyjTommyj Members  750WRX Points: 262Posts: 750 Golden Tee

Might be the shaft and not the club head causing the rights, are you comfortable with the shaft in your HMP's? Always found the blade length on both the HMP and 919 Forged to appear a bit longer than what I like, especially the longer irons. But with the Apex I find the offset a bit too much when you get into the 4-7 irons.

Have you considered a lie angle adjustment on you HMP's to move your shots back to centre? Mizuno has flatter lie angles as standard, may be as simple as going to a fitter, running through the set and going more upright on those irons that require it.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • SMAC43SMAC43 Los Angeles,CAMembers  36WRX Points: 42Handicap: 4.3Posts: 36 Bunkers

Agree with this. Apex a little too much offset and also don’t like the PW shape. HMP/HMB too long a blade length. Same with the z545s. I’m still searching for that iron that has a squat head...low offset, but a nice wide forgiving sole. Maybe the i210s?

Posted:
  • Striker AceStriker Ace Members  377WRX Points: 27Posts: 377 Greens

If you are a high handicapper then a SGI club is better for you due to the wider sole and larger club face. Also consider going with a lightweight graphite shaft. The Apex 19 look nice and of course the better players club look nicer than SGI's but at the end of the day would you want looks or performance?

Posted:
    Cleveland HB Turbo driver
    Mizuno CLK hybrid
    Callaway Mavrik Max irons
    Cleveland CBX full face wedges
    Cleveland Frontline 4.0 putter

Wilson DUO Optix orange

• BiggiE427BiggiE427 Members  88WRX Points: 32Posts: 88 Fairways

When I got fit it actually came down to the hmp and apex. I felt the forgiveness was much better with the hmps. I went in wanting the apex but my numbers with hmp were much better. Also felt hitting a great shot took less work with the mizzys

Posted:

Driver: Sim Max D

5 wood: PXG 0341 x

3 Hybrid: Callaway Super Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Hot metal Pro

Wedges: TM MG2

Putter: Evnroll Midblade

• TommyjTommyj Members  750WRX Points: 262Posts: 750 Golden Tee

I'm surprised you didn't like the Z545's, thought the blade was shorter in the 4-6 than HMP. Z545 always looked a bit too square in the toe, but they've smoothed it out nicely in the Z585. I would go Z785 if my game was better, nicer feel than Z585, better looking short irons and a touch less offset. I'm a huge Ping guy but I hate the shape of the i210 wedges, too spoon like for my eye. Don't like the Apex PW either.

Posted:
  • Crimson62185Crimson62185 Nashville, TNMembers, Paid BST  58WRX Points: 45Posts: 58 Bunkers

Just curious, which set did you move to from the Apex?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • bombsbombs Members  63WRX Points: 40Handicap: 9Posts: 63 Bunkers

If you are looking for a mid sized head with reduced offset I believe the Apex 19's are one of the most forgiving iron on the market. They have the added benefit of being fully forged and extremely soft feel.

There are more forgiving irons in this category but they will be irons with larger heads, more offset and significantly firmer feel.

Relative to the Apex '19 here's my view on other irons in this category which I have hit extensively:

T200 - Less forgiving. Longer blade length. Firmer feel. Slightly longer blade length. Thinner topline.

P790 - Firmer feel. Face feels less hot. Slightly longer blade length & thicker top line.

HMB - Firmer feel. Muted feedback. Much longer blade length. Thicker topline.

HM Pro - Firmer feel. Face feels very hot. Similar look at address.

Posted:

G410+ 9* | M3 5W | Epic 3H | P790 | RTX-4 52/56/60 | Juno | TP5

• jjfcpajjfcpa Golf Nut Omaha, NEMembers  916WRX Points: 307Handicap: 12Posts: 916 Golden Tee

I've been playing the Apex 19's for the last year. During that time, I've done a number of comparisons (with a fitter) to other irons and found that the Apex 19's are as easy to hit and longer than most of the other irons I've compared them to. I don't consider myself an extraordinary player... I play to about a 12-14, 72 years old, and only been playing golf for 5 years.

I recently purchased a set of Honma XP-1's - definitely in the GI category. Heads are larger than the Apex 19's. I played them for a couple months and found them enjoyable to play; however, I decided to switch back to my Apex 19's and found that they were more accurate (better dispersion), easier to shape (I do very little of this), and even more forgiving than the XP-1's. The smaller head really seems to appeal to me and I think I am more suited to play the Apex than any other iron I've tried thus far.

I was not fitted for the Apex 19's, but I was fitted for the Apex 16's and upgraded to the 19's with the same specs.

One thing that I think is misquoted is that this is a forged hear... I believe only the face is forged, not the entire head.

I think this is one of the best irons that Callaway has ever produced and you can do a blended set with the Apex Pros.

I've never played a Mizuno iron, but I did purchase a HM Pro in a 7 iron for comparison and found that it was not as good as the Apex 19's 7 iron.

I would also like to add that there are lots of irons that I have tried that are in the same category as the Apex 19's and I could easily play them. Would I be as good a player if I switched... I don't think so and that's why I have stayed with the Apex 19's ... for now. If you're looking for an investment that you can't go wrong with, then the Apex 19's are a safe pick. You might look at Callaway pre-owned for 2ndswing.com to see if you can pickup a used set. Or, Callaway accepts trade if you want to give up on the HMB's.

Posted:

Mavrik Driver 10.5* Recoil ES440 F2

Mavrik 3w Recoil ES440 F2

Mavrik 5w Recoil ES440 F2

Mavrik 4h Recoil ES Smacwrap 760 F2

Callaway Apex CF19's 5i - PW Recoil 760 F2

Callaway MD5 48* - 54* Project X Catalyst 80

Callaway Chrome Soft 2020

Stroke Lab One

Posted:
    Post edited by sshadow2 on

PING Heppler Anser 2
    2019 Taylormade TP5 ball

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members  3364WRX Points: 1,456Posts: 3,364 Titanium Tees

Love mine

Posted:

Epic Flash - Motore X F3 / Pro 2.0 7 / Apex 19h - Pro 2.0 8 / Apex 19 - Apex Pro 19 1050Gh HSx1 / MD5 / Phantom X5.5 - SS Mid Slim 2.0

Sorry misread this. I dropped the G25s for the Apex 19s. So I know forgiveness.

I moved on to the Cobra Forged Tec 2020 from the Apex 19s at the start of this year. Dispersion is super tight in comparison for me. Distance and left/right.

Posted:

PING Heppler Anser 2
    2019 Taylormade TP5 ball

Advertisement
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Golf Nut Omaha, NEMembers  916WRX Points: 307Handicap: 12Posts: 916 Golden Tee

Posted:

Mavrik Driver 10.5* Recoil ES440 F2

Mavrik 3w Recoil ES440 F2

Mavrik 5w Recoil ES440 F2

Mavrik 4h Recoil ES Smacwrap 760 F2

Callaway Apex CF19's 5i - PW Recoil 760 F2

Callaway MD5 48* - 54* Project X Catalyst 80

Callaway Chrome Soft 2020

Stroke Lab One

• Munich77Munich77 Members  397WRX Points: 119Posts: 397 Greens

I love mine. The blade length is short. When you get used to it, they are great.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.