***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Shaft butt damage/chipping

Valtiel ·  
ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members  4022WRX Points: 2,028Handicap: 1.7Posts: 4,022 Titanium Tees

A good sized chunk of the outer layer of carbon fiber came up when removing the grip from a recent eBay shaft harvest purchase. Obviously whoever butt cut the shaft did not use the proper blade and taped over the piece that splintered. Will this be alright if I seal it with epoxy? It is a heavyweight shaft with very thick walls (Aldila 105 hybrid) and the material missing is the same material that Aldila laser etches through on the Rogue line for the tour issue shafts so it seems like it should be fine:

Posted:
Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818H1 18.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype 
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot

WITB Thread

Comments

• trhodetrhode Fitter / Builder Members  2073WRX Points: 175Posts: 2,073 Platinum Tees

Only time will tell on that one, imo. There’s a lot of torque at the end of the shaft. Maybe install a graphite extension or another Graphite shaft piece inside and cut it flush for reinforcement.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Howard_JonesHoward_Jones Members  11645WRX Points: 2,300Posts: 11,645 Titanium Tees

I would suggest cutting and using a extension if its needed to save it.

Resin/epoxy is only to hold it together, but carbon fibers is missing, so "the frame" is damaged. Epoxy want be able so solve it alone, the shaft is weaker at this area now, so all stress will attack the weakest link.

Cut and extend, but dont use "plastic" extensions....find a quality extension.

Posted:
    Post edited by Howard_Jones on

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PMs ON CLUB TECH ISSUES - ASK PUBLIC IN THE FORUM.

Unless you are a former Customer or someone i already have a PM dialog with, i want reply to tech questions on PMs.

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  25593WRX Points: 1,961Posts: 25,593 Titanium Tees

I agree with the others. Epoxy on the outside might help prevent it from getting worse the next time tape is removed, but it won't help with the strength.

I also like the idea of using a good quality extension to add support from the inside, like the goflworks premium extentions of the proper diameter (not the universal extension).

Another possible appoach would be to use a layer of epoxy impregnated fiberglass cloth on the inside of the shaft. Not as much support as the extension and a bit more tricky to install but it might be enough if you're looking for more of a quick fix you can manage with materials that you can obtain locally (instead of having to order something online).

Posted:
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members  4022WRX Points: 2,028Handicap: 1.7Posts: 4,022 Titanium Tees

Thanks guys, I was already planning on extending the shaft a bit, and I normally use the method you guys suggested anyway i.e. smaller chunk of shaft down the inside and larger piece fitted around the outside. I never use low quality/plastic extensions thankfully. I will do ahead with this as well as building up layers of epoxy to fill the missing chunk and sand it all smooth to make it look professional. Will post pics in the next day or two!

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818H1 18.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype 

WITB Thread
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members  4022WRX Points: 2,028Handicap: 1.7Posts: 4,022 Titanium Tees

Alright, sealed the damage with two layers of epoxy and extended with an internal shaft that goes halfway down the damaged area. I'll report back after using the shaft for awhile.

Posted:
    Post edited by Valtiel on

WITB Thread
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  14099WRX Points: 2,923Handicap: 3.1Posts: 14,099 Titanium Tees

Nice work

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu Blueboard 53x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Ping G410 7w 19.5* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki ax400 82x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey TVD 52m-58m-64* s400
    Piretti Matera Elite

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement

Thanks! It will definitely mess with the balance point a bit, especially as an already high balance point shaft, but I don't mind that really. Just need to find a home for it.

Posted:

WITB Thread

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.