***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Ethics question re counterfeit clubs.

dokex ·  
dokexdokex Members  322WRX Points: 114Posts: 322 Greens

Let's say that you somehow bought a set of fake clubs. What do you do with them?

Posted:

Comments

• happygolferhappygolfer Golfer Members  552WRX Points: 93Handicap: 13.4Posts: 552 Golden Tee

Sinply put, If he has ethics, he keeps the clubs. If he doesn't, he tries to sell them without disclosure.

I've seen auctions on ebay where they clearly state they are fake. I would call that having ethics.

Posted:
    Ping G30 SF TEC
    Ping G 3 & 5 SF TEC Woods
    Callaway Big Bertha 3h
    PXG SGI 5-G
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54 & 58
    Ping TR Knome
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members  4150WRX Points: 901Posts: 4,150 Titanium Tees

Hypothetical question? Waste of time.

Posted:
    Post edited by SubaruWRX on
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot

It didn’t happen. smh

Posted:
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • dokexdokex Members  322WRX Points: 114Posts: 322 Greens

Let me clarify. You are stuck with the clubs, and can't return them.

Posted:

Let me clarify, this didn’t happen. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Posted:
  • dmecca2dmecca2 Scranton, PAMembers  384WRX Points: 338Handicap: +3Posts: 384 Greens

I have a putter I got when I was in high school from my dad. It was my first scotty cameron and a gift from my dad. I used it throughout high school and some of college, and after giving it to my brother, I recently got it back an I can see now that it's a fake. Unfortunately I'm stuck with it and I definitely can't sell it. It will sit in my basement and maybe if I have a kid I will cut it down for him to use.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • brkuckbrkuck Members  1798WRX Points: 209Posts: 1,798 Platinum Tees

Re-selling it for money = zero ethics. Some will say "well, the buyer should be more informed", which is BS.

Otherwise, you are forced to play with them or give them away for nothing. Just dont make the same mistake twice.

Posted:
  • jschwarbjschwarb Members  885WRX Points: 183Posts: 885 BST Banned

Just to play devil's advocate, why not? If you say it's FAKE in the title and the description and list at a silly low price that removes any doubt as to what it is -- what's the harm? Maybe someone takes it as a project set to cut up or whatever. I'm not saying I would do it, I've been a seller on ebay and elsewhere for years with perfect feedback and don't want the hassle, but I wouldn't be offended if someone else did as long as it was labeled clearly.

Posted:
  • straightshot7straightshot7 Members  3699WRX Points: 1,227Posts: 3,699 Titanium Tees

Well as usual no one cares about the actual manufacturer in these conversations. Blatant trademark/patent infringement and counterfeiting is a serious problem that costs our economy billions. It probably costs America jobs as well.

There's one reason for you. I respect that the manufacturer had to spend a lot of money and time to legally establish a brand identity. And I don't support anyone who wants to blatantly rip off someone else's IP and try to profit from it.

"Counterfeit goods cost the U.S. economy an estimated $600 billion a year, or 3 percent of the U.S. gross domestic product, according to Steve Shapiro, the unit chief for the FBI’s intellectual property rights unit."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/13/heres-how-the-trade-war-could-lead-to-a-boom-in-counterfeit-goods.html

Posted:

This is a counterfeit post...

Posted:

Good point. In my mind, it would be no different than knowingly passing fake currency.

Posted:
    Post edited by dokex on

Advertisement
  • BYKBYK Cardinals NationMembers  2317WRX Points: 398Posts: 2,317 Platinum Tees

That's great until the guy that buys the fakes then sells them as real

Posted:
    Yadi for President
  • TheMagicStingerTheMagicStinger Members  950WRX Points: 203Handicap: 7.6Posts: 950 Golden Tee

Is this regarding a recent ebay purchase you made? If so, what are the clubs in question and why do you believe they are fake?

Posted:

No, I haven't bought any counterfeits. I just started a discussion about the right/wrong to do once you are stuck with fakes.

Posted:
  • SkhackerSkhacker The Minimalist Golfer Members  1740WRX Points: 241Handicap: 6Posts: 1,740 Platinum Tees

Can you report a sale of counterfeit goods to the proper authority? Notify the seller that’s what you’re doing. Maybe start with that.

Posted:
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9564WRX Points: 3,179Posts: 9,564 Titanium Tees

I can't imagine a scenario where this holds true, unless you bought them off craigslist for cash, in which case you should have done your homework.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dmecca2dmecca2 Scranton, PAMembers  384WRX Points: 338Handicap: +3Posts: 384 Greens
    Posted:

When I worked at GG, we had people trying to trade in fakes quite often. In fact, we had the same set of bogus pxg irons come into the store three times in one day! The first guy brought the clubs in for a shaft repair. When he was told they were fake, he returned them to play it again sports. That same day, two more people brought them in for the repair. I don't know what play it again did after the third return.

Posted:
  • ChitownM2ChitownM2 Members  127WRX Points: 44Posts: 127 Fairways

I'm not sure how your post is at all relevant. Obviously if you don't realize something is fake until 5 or 10 years later you're stuck with it. I'm sure that if you or your dad had realized that putter was fake at the get go you would have taken it back and gotten a refund.

This conversation is about what to do if you find out something you recently purchased is fake. I would say 30 days or maybe up to 60 but definitely no more.

Personally, I would do everything in my power to get a refund from the seller. Paypal dispute, CC dispute, etc. If all of that was futile, then I'd probably re-sell them (locally if possible) with full disclosure that they are fake. After that it is not my job to be the morality police and ensure that an unscrupulous person doesn't resell them again.

Posted:

I read the scenario as, "you have a fake club and for some reason you are stuck with it. Ethically, what is the right thing to do. Sell it as a labeled fake, throw it away, or keep it."

Obviously if you just bought the club you need to take it back to whoever you sold it to.

I was giving an example to a situation where I am stuck with the club and cant return it, and what I am doing with the club. Literally exactly what the OP is requesting.

Posted:
  • ChitownM2ChitownM2 Members  127WRX Points: 44Posts: 127 Fairways

I see what you are saying, I just interpreted his post differently. It says "...you somehow bought a set of fake clubs. What do you do with them" so I assumed that the purchase was recent.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.