***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Great Putters, give your feedback!

Kjboisen ·  
KjboisenKjboisen Members  167WRX Points: 85Handicap: 1Posts: 167 Fairways

Straight to the point... My putting has been very mediocre this season. My goal of reducing 3-putts has been a success however I am averaging 32-34 putts a round and I am consistently posting rounds of 76-->70. My problem area is my birdie putts within 15ft. I am making none of these. Burning edges all season. I am fortunate enough to have the option of playing with friends at the D1 level and other players of similar caliber. I have been using the AIMPOINT system of green reading for 4 years now for what it's worth and for whatever reason I am on a 10 month streak of making nothing. I start the ball on-line, and I am hitting my putts exactly how I want to. I am just burning edges.

Is this one of those things where it is about patience? Any of you have reasonable advice as to how I can kick-start good putting again? My putting is costing me some lower rounds

Thank you Golfwrx community for any suggestions

Posted:

Comments

• jvincentjvincent Members  1732WRX Points: 989Posts: 1,732 Platinum Tees

The first thing to check is whether you are starting the ball rolling where you are aiming. If not, that's likely your issue.

If you are, then you're just reading it wrong.

There are a few ways to check the first one (chalk line, string, etc).

Posted:

Cobra SZ 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members  4341WRX Points: 578Handicap: 8.2Posts: 4,341 Titanium Tees

Stop trying...LOL Just kidding,.

Much like you, I rarely 3 putt.

Unlike you I usually shoot high 70;s low 80's averaging 32.7 putts over the past year. My iron play is my weakness.

I consider myself a pretty good putter, but a mediocre green reader. Either I get the line and not the speed or vice versa.

Do you a have a predominant miss?

I burn a lot of edges from 20 feet in, and leave quite a few a foot short in the heart from that 15-20ft range. It's frustrating since I feel I should make more of those 10-12 footers since I'm around the hole so much.

Will follow this thread and see what others have to say.

Posted:
    Post edited by RainShadow on
    Ping G400 10.5 (9.75) Hzrdus Yellow 75 5.5
    Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
    Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R (2019 Forged Tec SteeFiber i95cw R trial run ) 
    Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
    Vokey SM7 58/8 M 
    Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)/ Bettinardi BB1/ '16 Tiki
    Wilson Staff FG Tour/ Bridgestone Tour B RXS / ProV1
  • KjboisenKjboisen Members  167WRX Points: 85Handicap: 1Posts: 167 Fairways

My green reading seems to be the issue but I dont know exactly how to solve this problem...

Posted:

There is really no noticeable trend. I miss a few low a few high. I have had great speed I am just not matching it to the correct line. I think it is a green-reading problem. How can someone improve green reading? I just dont think practicing green-reading is easy to transfer to the course because you will never have the same reads

Posted:
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members  4341WRX Points: 578Handicap: 8.2Posts: 4,341 Titanium Tees

You’re already using aim point, and I play with a couple of guys that swear by it.

Have you tried another method recently?

Posted:
    Ping G400 10.5 (9.75) Hzrdus Yellow 75 5.5
    Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
    Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R (2019 Forged Tec SteeFiber i95cw R trial run ) 
    Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
    Vokey SM7 58/8 M 
    Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)/ Bettinardi BB1/ '16 Tiki
    Wilson Staff FG Tour/ Bridgestone Tour B RXS / ProV1
  • Mike_CMike_C Members  1610WRX Points: 214Posts: 1,610 Platinum Tees

You sound exactly like me. I have a few rounds where I make some, but just not very often. I had one round this year where I made 8 birdies, but had 6 bogies. Most rounds a couple birdies, probably an easy one on a par 5, hit one in close a for a birdie, just no 20 footers, miss a few short 6-8 footers for par after a mediocre chip or pitch, one bad tee shot and a penalty shot or two, and it's mid 70s. So frustrating...

Posted:
    WITB
    Ping G410 LST 9.0 Tensei CK Orange 60 X
    Ping G410 LST 3W Tensei CK Orange 70 S
    Calaway Epic flash 3 and 4 hybrid, stock stiff Tensei Silver
    Srixon Z585 5 iron Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon Z785 6-PW Recoil 95 F5
    Cleveland CBX 2 52 bent to 51 DG 115 W
    Cleveland CBX 2 54/10 DG 115 W
    Ping Eye 2 SW 57.5 ZZ lite
    Odyssey White Hot #6, back ups Never Compromise Dinero Baron  or Cleveland BRZ 2
    Srixon Z Star or XV

Advertisement
  • jvincentjvincent Members  1732WRX Points: 989Posts: 1,732 Platinum Tees

That's a tough one. Green reading is, IMHO, more art than science since you have to figure out line and speed without any actual tools.

Posted:

Cobra SZ 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• b.heltsb.helts Members  3291WRX Points: 797Posts: 3,291 Titanium Tees

All of putting is more art than science.

When standing over a put imaging a trough 4.25 inches wide running from your ball to the hole along the line you think it will take on the speed you’ve chosen to hit the putt.

Then just roll the ball along that trough with proper speed.

Posted:
  • ndlutzndlutz Members  49WRX Points: 38Handicap: 13.6Posts: 49 Bunkers

It's hard to give putting advice to anybody - even people I play with regularly. The best advice I've heard recently, though, is don't try to make putts/birdies. Speed is king on the green from 15 or so feet and especially further out. Just pick as good of a line as you can and try to get the speed right. Sometimes you'll just run it into the hole.

What's the PGA make rate from 15 feet? Probably not as good as you think.

Posted:
  • High Draws Low FadesHigh Draws Low Fades Members  101WRX Points: 45Handicap: 0.6Posts: 101 Fairways

This is a less technical idea, but earlier this year I struggled making putts in that range as well. I realized I needed to believe I was going to make the putt and that more than anything helped. Might sound dumb but I think belief and confidence is huge assuming your stroke is solid. I’ve shot in the 60s this year more than my whole life in part because of that.

Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 8.5
    Callaway GBB Epic 15
    Titleist 818 H2 21 
    Ping i210 4-U
    Cleveland RTX 4 54, 58
    Scotty Cameron T22 Newport
  • ckayckay Members  4716WRX Points: 763Posts: 4,716 Titanium Tees

Spider X is your answer.

Posted:
    Taylormade M3 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link

Advertisement
  • RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New ZealandMembers  2919WRX Points: 305Posts: 2,919 Titanium Tees

Is there a past favourite you can go back too..eg b60 rossie 11 Newport2

anser2 i just bought a newport 2 2002,didnt need it, the mid slant was fine,but now up for sale. NP2 is simply better 4 me.Half hr practice a week putts

or Putting Lesson.

One Lesson..Do It Now👍

Posted:
    2020 18 July mid winterNZ

Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
    Nike VrS 3wood
    Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63

54     RTX2
    60     RTX2

ProPlatinum NewportTwo
    2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
    Dont hesitate to buy one!

Definitely not a dumb suggestion. I have quite literally willed myself to great rounds that should not have been

Posted:
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.