***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***

Update 8/14 - ***Migration work continues. Estimate Go Live to new board 8/17***

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

When did average hacker golfers start playing from the blue tees ?

Used2PlayALot ·  
Used2PlayALotUsed2PlayALot Members  336WRX Points: 101Posts: 336 Greens
Joined:  edited Aug 1, 2020 3:03pm in Rules of Golf and Etiquette #1

What is this modern trend of everyone playing from the blue tees ?

I golfed a bit back in the 90s. Everyone played white. I think I saw one player ever use the blues.

No one used the blues, even guys with 8 handicap.

It was like blue were reserved if a PGA dude happened to get lost and come to the course.

Today, I am seeing tons of people play from blues.

I am talking guys who shoot 90s or 100s even.

Guys topping the ball off the blue tees is a total joke.

When did this become a thing?

Posted:

Comments

• andrueandrue Members  1565WRX Points: 301Handicap: 20Posts: 1,565 Platinum Tees

I've never seen the point of worrying about it. If a group's pace is acceptable they can play off any tee that the course operators allow. Personally I like playing off the longer tees (but rarely do because usually OOB by the club). I love the extra difficulty, the opportunity to stretch myself and, yes, I even like having to play the extra shots. I like swinging a golf club. If it's social golf I really don't care about the score.

Although as a UK player I don't think I've ever played a course with blue tees. It's usually red, yellow or white with a few courses using black for teens (in between yellow and red).

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Metro-PAMetro-PA Members  158WRX Points: 54Handicap: 4Posts: 158 Fairways

As soon as "they" purchased a driver promising 15 more yards.

Posted:
  • oldpalchampoldpalchamp Members  1259WRX Points: 187Posts: 1,259 Platinum Tees

I have been playing golf since 1963. In the "olden days," courses had three sets of tees, Red (lady's), White (men's), and Blue (championship). It is not unusual today to see courses designed and built with many more tee boxes. I played a resort course this week, designed by Arnold Palmer with the listed yardage for the white tees at 5900 yards. This course had Black Tees (tips), Gold Tees, and Blue Tees, before you got to the Whites. I was with a group in an outing and we played the Whites. Had I been playing with my buddies, we probably would have played the Gold.

There are a lot of players who can hit the ball 250 yards in the 12-20 handicap range (most are probably members here!), who prefer a course longer than 5900 yards. It seems to me, multiple tee boxes are the rule, not the exception these days. As an earlier poster said, play the tees you want, as long as you don't hold up play.

Posted:
  • andrueandrue Members  1565WRX Points: 301Handicap: 20Posts: 1,565 Platinum Tees

If they are holding up play then, yes, they should use shorter tees. Or get the **** off the course.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
  • caniac6caniac6 Members  3657WRX Points: 1,314Handicap: 4Posts: 3,657 Titanium Tees

Modern equipment and modern ball. At 65, I'm a lot longer than I was at 35.

Posted:
  • sgersten19sgersten19 Members  42WRX Points: 30Posts: 42 Bunkers

Its become crazy at my course, I've finished second in our club champ the last 2 years and I rarely play our tournament tees. There's a few holes that are just crazy long that frankly aren't fun.

But its very common to get held up by a foursome of 10+ handicappers playing the back tee. We have a 225 yd par 3 all carry over water to a tough green and it takes them 40 minutes to play that hole with all of penalties, drops, 3 putts, etc...

The next tee forward is 175 yds and its a very fair hole, just do that.

The play it forward campaign has had no affect on the club golfer.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • LukeDonaldsTigerLukeDonaldsTiger Members  538WRX Points: 254Handicap: 19Posts: 538 Golden Tee

Two things:

1. Giving teeboxes gender related names instead of back, middle, forward. Nobody wants to play the „ladies tees“.
    2. Peer pressure. I have a buddy who’s a short knocker but he always plays the same tees as us. His second shot on Par 4/5s is always a 3W or hybrid. How‘s that ever fun?
    Posted:

WITB 2020:

Driver: Mizuno JPX 900 @10.5° (Tensei White 70g stiff) - 240m/260y

3W: Mizuno JPX 900 @15° (Motore Speeder VC 6.3 stiff) - 215m/235y

alt.: 2i: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi @16.5° (DG S300 Sensicore) - 210m/230y

3H: Srixon H45 Hybrid @19° (Kuro Kage 70g stiff) - 195m/215y

3i: Mizuno MP-H5 @21° (Diamana S+ 80HY stiff) - 185m/200y

4i-6i: Mizuno MP-15 (DG S300 Sensicore) - 4i: 170m/185y

7i-PW: Mizuno MP-33 @1° strong (DG S300 Sensicore) - 7i: 140m/155y

Wedges: Mizuno T20 wedges, @56-14/60-10 (DG S400 TI)

Putter: Mizuno MP-T105

Ball: Snell MTB Black (Yellow)

• BaitkillerBaitkiller Members  1847WRX Points: 230Handicap: YesPosts: 1,847 Platinum Tees

My course is from long to short teed S black, blue, white and red.

Nobody plays black, some people don't even know there are tee boxes 75 yards behind them. Most men play the whites at around 6800. My son and I play blues at 7150ish and my 14yo daughter plays whites.

At least once a year we all will play the blacks. I don't even know the yardage buts its plenty. Usually costs me 4 strokes. Maybe one stroke for the skinny brat taking my money and Punkin takes the biggest beating.

We as a threesome play our regular tee rounds normally 3:50 ish. Playing back puts us well over 4. Maybe 4:30.

Posted:
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members  3368WRX Points: 1,458Posts: 3,368 Titanium Tees

Well to give them the benefit...

All courses are different. We have courses where the tips is a 6400yd course near the metro city area. Then again the tips on my course are 1000 yards more...

Maybe theyre used to playing a different course?

Also courses dont have a standard for colors. I've seen gold/silver/white/blue/red/yellow/you name it out there....blue doesnt mean 'far' by any stretch.

Then again, they could easily check the scorecard for yardage - but a hacker may not know that?

Donno

Posted:

Epic Flash - Motore X F3 / Pro 2.0 7 / Apex 19h - Pro 2.0 8 / Apex 19 - Apex Pro 19 1050Gh HSx1 / MD5 / Phantom X5.5 - SS Mid Slim 2.0

• jomattyjomatty Members  139WRX Points: 44Posts: 139 Fairways

Conversely it also seems common for some low key shaming to go on if you have a halfway decent swing and play the whites...some people act like you are doing something underhanded if you don’t play from the tips...

Posted:

Advertisement

I love shooting my 3w. I call it Rhonda because it's a bit of a goer :)

But seriously, I love using those long clubs on approaches. Getting the ball on the green from 200 yards is awesome.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
  • LukeDonaldsTigerLukeDonaldsTiger Members  538WRX Points: 254Handicap: 19Posts: 538 Golden Tee

That’s what I liked about West Cliffs in Portugal (magnificent links style course): their tees are named 51, 55, 59, 62 for their respective lengths in m x 100.

Posted:

WITB 2020:

Driver: Mizuno JPX 900 @10.5° (Tensei White 70g stiff) - 240m/260y

3W: Mizuno JPX 900 @15° (Motore Speeder VC 6.3 stiff) - 215m/235y

alt.: 2i: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi @16.5° (DG S300 Sensicore) - 210m/230y

3H: Srixon H45 Hybrid @19° (Kuro Kage 70g stiff) - 195m/215y

3i: Mizuno MP-H5 @21° (Diamana S+ 80HY stiff) - 185m/200y

4i-6i: Mizuno MP-15 (DG S300 Sensicore) - 4i: 170m/185y

7i-PW: Mizuno MP-33 @1° strong (DG S300 Sensicore) - 7i: 140m/155y

Wedges: Mizuno T20 wedges, @56-14/60-10 (DG S400 TI)

Putter: Mizuno MP-T105

Ball: Snell MTB Black (Yellow)

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29953WRX Points: 3,000Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,953 Titanium Tees

Strangely i've never really seen this phenomena....Most people i know play the 1-up tees. When i play public courses if the tips are more than 6600yds or so you almost never see anyone play them

At courses like Le Diable , the Falcon or Quatre Domaines which are over 7000+, they typically discourage you from playing the tips and if you do they'll watch you hit your first tee ball ready to scold you unless you smack one 275 haha.

At my course many of the A players regularly play the black tees (1-up) rather than the tips in their fun rounds

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/ KBS Tour Prototype 85
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 60 w/S300
    Odyssey Oworks Red Tank #7
  • tannyhobantannyhoban Members  2137WRX Points: 417Posts: 2,137 Platinum Tees

Probably since the first day Blue tees were put out.

Honestly don't see it much on the courses I play.

Posted:
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members  3937WRX Points: 358Handicap: 12.9Posts: 3,937 Titanium Tees

Not much where I play. What I see is a reluctance to move up to the senior tees for the 60+ who lost their distance. Got a 76 year old in our group who we insisted that he move up to the senior tees . His other group refused to let him. He’s loving it.

Posted:
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
    3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
    3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
    6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
    7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
    50 degree GW Vokey SM7
    56 degree SW Vokey SM7
    Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

Advertisement
  • MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm MassachusettsMembers  1079WRX Points: 223Handicap: 2 (index = 2.3)Posts: 1,079 Platinum Tees

As long as you play quickly, I don’t care where you tee it up. My concern is, lately I am seeing major tee box damage from the blue tees (6,800 yards) and black tees (7,000 yards) at our club. If you’re taking huge divots on the tee boxes of par 4s and par 5s, perhaps a lesson or two and a better choice of tee box. Our club has five sets of tees. Pick an appropriate starting point on each hole.

Posted:
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members  2874WRX Points: 1,019Posts: 2,874 Titanium Tees

Tee colors don’t really indicate whether they are playing the right distances. I play courses that don’t have red, white, blue, black markers so hard to say if they are playing the right or wrong tees.

In the 26 years or so I’ve been playing most men I see play the third set of tees which for most courses around here falls in the 6200-6500 range. Not really that long for people

Posted:
  • DennyJonesDennyJones Members  92WRX Points: 58Handicap: n/aPosts: 92 Fairways

At my home course, I see it rarely. Most guys that play, play from the white tees. I don't care what tees they use as long as they play ready golf. I have seen players that should be playing from the forward tees but don't.

Posted:
    From the land of perpetual cloudiness: Michigan
  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members  9677WRX Points: 610Posts: 9,677 Titanium Tees

This. Colors are really irrelevant as Gold at my course is 5700-5900. I've seen Gold at others that are the Championship tees.

As for the original point by the OP. I chslk it up to the "Bro" crowd, that also bring their own 24 pack of Coors, take divots on par 5 tee boxes, don't replace divots or fix ball marks and drive the cart off the path near greens and tees.

Just either complete lack of knowledge or a Dom give a Sheet attitude.

Posted:
    Titleist TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Sr Flex
    PING G410 FW 7 and 9
    PING G410 Hybrid 5 
    Titleist T300  5-P KBS TGI 80 Shaft
    Vokey  50.10, 54.10 58..12
    Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 
    TaylorMade Spider X Custom Blue

• miamistompmiamistomp Members  102WRX Points: 73Handicap: 13Posts: 102 Fairways

I live next to a course and often see guys play from the tips and just get past the reds on their drive

I always walk twilight and just carry irons and a hybrid and play from the silvers or reds and have a great time -plus i can move pretty quick

Posted:

Advertisement
  • TourSpoonTourSpoon I'd rather be driving a Titleist... Members  162WRX Points: 95Handicap: 4.5Posts: 162 Fairways

I don't see it much where I play. It seems that the average players choose white (5800-6200) while my group plays blues (@6200-6500). Rarely do I see someone playing the tips (6800-7000). So if you do play back past you ability, just do it without delay.

Posted:
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members  4341WRX Points: 578Handicap: 8.2Posts: 4,341 Titanium Tees

Exactly.......I see it every time I play certain courses around here, yet surprisingly , not the munis.

I think some of these folks feel entitled to see the whole course since they paid their money. That's the attitude that comes out when the Marshall asks them to move up or speed up.

And that get's to the OP question: I think this phenomenon started to get worse when golf courses started really hurting for money/play during the financial crisis mid 2000's.

Posted:
    Post edited by RainShadow on
    Ping G400 10.5 (9.75) Hzrdus Yellow 75 5.5
    Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
    Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R (2019 Forged Tec SteeFiber i95cw R trial run ) 
    Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
    Vokey SM7 58/8 M 
    Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)/ Bettinardi BB1/ '16 Tiki
    Wilson Staff FG Tour/ Bridgestone Tour B RXS / ProV1
  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members  9677WRX Points: 610Posts: 9,677 Titanium Tees

Oh yeah. Ive heard the, "I want to play the whole course" statement many times.

It often come to pass, including hitting their 2nd shot from the red tees and finding the water hazard even the same one more than once 🤪

That's playing the whole course allright!

Posted:
    Titleist TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Sr Flex
    PING G410 FW 7 and 9
    PING G410 Hybrid 5 
    Titleist T300  5-P KBS TGI 80 Shaft
    Vokey  50.10, 54.10 58..12
    Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 
    TaylorMade Spider X Custom Blue

• GreenieGreenie Members  3604WRX Points: 217Handicap: 13.7Posts: 3,604 Titanium Tees

My friend use to bring a friend of his to play with us back in the mid 90's. He use to say I paid my money and I want to play the whole course. He would always play the back tees when he played with us. He wasn't long so playing back would add some strokes to his round.. He would joke and say the more strokes he took the more value for the money that he paid to play. He wasn't worried about his score. He was a low 80's shooter from the one up tees so playing back gave him more swings and more exercise.

Posted:
  • ArtMBgolfArtMBgolf Members  574WRX Points: 127Handicap: 8Posts: 574 Golden Tee

Some think they are better than they are, even if they can't break 100 from the whites.

If the white tees are under 6000, they think it's too short, so playing the blues makes them tougher.

I'll bet a lot of foursomes playing too far back, have 1 or 2 guys who drive it pretty far, so the rest of their beginner friends play there also. I have seen this a lot.

The thing is if they don't belong on the blue tees, they probably also don't know enough to play at a proper pace.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • RoejyeRoejye Members  140WRX Points: 64Handicap: 19.4Posts: 140 Fairways

as a member at a semi public course I often see people playing blue tees that probably shouldn't but can if they are hitting it well. I feel if you can play with good pace it doesn't matter what tees you play. I see so many people take 15 practice swings, only to duff it, repeat. Then there's the people who take 5 minutes to line up/read a putt, then blast it 15 feet past the hole. That's why I like to try and play the last tee time of the day, it allows me to replay holes so I'm not sitting around waiting, and that way the people in front of me don't have to worry about holding someone up.

Posted:
  • goaliedad30goaliedad30 Members  110WRX Points: 126Handicap: 4Posts: 110 Fairways

Three anecdotal stories:

1) Probably 25 years ago, my dad and I were playing PGA West in Palm Springs I was a 2-3 hcp and he was probably a 10. We played 2 tees up from the back, and it was long for Dad. We got to the par 3 quasi-island green (17 I think, might be 16 there), and there was a group of older, high handicappers playing from the back tees. We asked if they played the whole course from the tips, and they said "for sure -- we want to play it the way the pros play it." They were on the tee with drivers & 3 woods .... I remarked "you realize the pros are hitting 8-iron from here, right?". SILENCE.

2) My wife and I played a local public track near our house a few Mondays ago (our club is closed on Mondays). Nice track, two Nicklaus-designed courses, one that is super walking-friendly and cheap. We were paired with a really nice guy who was playing a practice round for a mini "make your own tournament" event on the upcoming weekend. I'm a 4. Played from the "one up" tees (about 6,700 yards). I had an average day, hit most fairways, 7 or 8 greens, shot 77. Our single had to play the back tees because his buddies (who he said were about the same as his ability) "always play the tips". He was about 70 yards behind me off the tee (and I'm not long ... maybe 235-240 average), and had a miserable day.

3) About 20 years ago, my dad and I were on our annual Scotland golf trip. He was a CEO, and one of his division presidents joined us for part of that trip. Said partner had played college golf at UCLA with Corey Pavin, and I was close to scratch. When we teed off, the starter told the caddies "no, they'll play the members tees - no argument". We played and had a great time. Dad was tired, but his colleague and I wanted to play another 18. Glorious weather, not much wind, bright sunshine. We asked the starter if we could play the Open tees. He asked "what did you shoot this morning?". We told him 73 and 74. His answer - "play away, gentlemen". And came down to the first tee to announce us, tournament style!

At the end of the day, play where you have the most fun .... just play quickly!

Posted:
  • ZacR88ZacR88 Members  284WRX Points: 61Handicap: 4.7Posts: 284 Greens

I feel like there is a "pressure" to play the tee's others are playing as well and most people wanna play the blues like mentioned.

Goes the other way as well, I like to play the golds or tips at my club but its hard to find people that want to do that as well so I end up playing the blues more often than not so I am just not that guy playing a set on my own.

Chances are ill end up having a terrible round and end up as an example in this thread hahaha

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.