***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

When did average hacker golfers start playing from the blue tees ?

Comments

• Soloman1Soloman1 Members  2964WRX Points: 985Posts: 2,964 Titanium Tees

It's reasonable to expect people in front of you playing the back tees to shoot in the 70's tops.

I have a simple method for people I'm paired with.

If someone wants to play all the way back, they better outdrive me, or I'm going to relentlessly shame them into submission. I'm old enough that I don't care anymore. I love it when they're waiting for me at a ball in the fairway, and I tell them that it's their ball and I'm "way up there" after playing from the same tees. I came in 2nd in the 1975 long drive contest (used to be Golf Digest Long Drive contest) and can still be sneaky long now as an old geezer.

It's fun to outdrive young posers.

"Hey, I've got sweaters older than you. Is that all you got?" :)

They hit such ugly drives after that. It's fun to watch.

Posted:
    I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer San Jose, CaClubWRX  3816WRX Points: 254Handicap: 4.1Posts: 3,816 ClubWRX

Is only a thing if there is a starter there. When you are talking a muni course who really cares

Posted:
    Ping 400 Oban Devotion
    Callaway Epic SZ 14* Hazardous Smoke 6.5
    Ping Crossover 3 iron 
    Ping S55 TI AMT S400 4-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50,54,58 115
    Odyssey Proto  
    Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness
  • andrueandrue Members  1565WRX Points: 301Handicap: 20Posts: 1,565 Platinum Tees

Maybe it's down to choice. In the UK at least most courses only have three tees. Red, Yellow and White (the only variation on that I've seen so far is green, silver and gold apparently chosen because the other colours have racist connotations(*)). White is often designated as being for competition play only. You can get told off for using it in social golf whether you hit a decent distance or not.

(*)The world has gone mad.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • The_Golfing_HackThe_Golfing_Hack Members  8WRX Points: 16Posts: 8 Bunkers

Only ever been paired up with one person who wanted to play from the tips. I paid for the extra cart so we could both play from the tees fit for our game. He was a solid scratch level player, so I played bad golf super fast not to hold him up

recently began taking lessons which have helped fix the slice, so I’m comfortable playing from 5800-6600 yard tees now. Gonna need work on the mid/long irons before I will try anything above 6600

Posted:
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members  13207WRX Points: 4,331Handicap: 5.0Posts: 13,207 Titanium Tees

Yeah because you are like me. Back when we were 35 we still hit persimmon. I do still play persimmon quite a bit and when I do I move up one set of tees. LOL I tell some of the guys at the club Want a dose of reality? grab one of my persimmon drivers.

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana
    FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R
    Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts
    SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400
    LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft
    Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

• BIG STUBIG STU Members  13207WRX Points: 4,331Handicap: 5.0Posts: 13,207 Titanium Tees

Yep you summed it up very well. Me personally I could give 2 hoots less what tees someone plays as long as they do not hold up play for others. With me living in a tourist mecca for golf I see it a lot tourist golfers trying to play from the tips etc. You can tell them in a heart beat dressed to the 9s in the latest and greatest carrying the latest and greatest in equipment. They can be a million laughs sometimes. At times our group will run side bets after a couple of holes ie: See the guy in the Fowler get up? bet he takes 4 to get to the 150 marker. Bet the guy in the red shirt 3 putts from there. Or what is the over under for the guy in the blue shirt on this hole? At night in the restaurants is even funnier you can hear them say "that insert name of course" ate our lunch today we played from the tips and I shot 102 and Bill there shot 107" but I guess each to his own. A while back some of the courses here decided to do the handicap rating thing versus what tees you should play. It did not go over well because there are too many competing courses here. Main rule here among courses " do not **** off the tourists".

Posted:

Advertisement
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers  7452WRX Points: 1,520Handicap: 3.9-9.3-7.7 (Health issue)Posts: 7,452 Titanium Tees

{deleted}

Posted:

• Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. So. Cal.Members  1451WRX Points: 304Handicap: 7.4Posts: 1,451 Platinum Tees

For the very same reason most will play whatever dumbed down equipment the “roll backers” are proposing, these individuals will want to play the longer tees.

Some say they are not slowing down play because “everyone else” is doing it in front of them.

Whenever we need to bail off a round, we get to see the shenanigans ensuing in front of us. There are typically a couple to a few longer than hole gaps that we could play, and sometimes do, without slowing play, at all. 6-7 minutes for a foursome employing ready golf in carts.

It’s pretty much as you described and more. Topping balls, practicing chipping and putting, waiting for 300 yards before teeing off only to carry drives 180 yards.

Admittedly, I’ve played in groups doing this and often don’t mention anything unless asked.

Posted:
  • caniac6caniac6 Members  3657WRX Points: 1,314Handicap: 4Posts: 3,657 Titanium Tees

I have tried an old persimmon, and it probably didn't go as far as my current 3 wood, and with the modern ball, it flew pretty low, too. How in the world did we play with those things?

Posted:
  • miamistompmiamistomp Members  102WRX Points: 73Handicap: 13Posts: 102 Fairways

I often use my old woods

The key ( for me ) is finding a 1 1/2 or 2 wood that gets the low spinning ball up a little higher

Guys who have learned on modern drivers usually hit a persimmon too high on the club face for good results

Posted:
  • Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. So. Cal.Members  1451WRX Points: 304Handicap: 7.4Posts: 1,451 Platinum Tees

On occasion, I play with my daughter using Persimmon woods and Balata balls. Low and long rolling balls. It’s fun taking a clump of dirt to tee off. The only thing missing is the attire, and my daughter threatened never to play with me again if I ever tried. Lol.

Completely different game, I suppose?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers  3836WRX Points: 797Handicap: 8.2Posts: 3,836 Titanium Tees

Most courses around me have more than 2 choices for mens' tees. The back tees aren't 'blue' at my local courses either. So, I typically play the blue tees, but never the tips. There's also several courses with mixed tees that often fit my driver distance nicely.

Posted:

• brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers  3836WRX Points: 797Handicap: 8.2Posts: 3,836 Titanium Tees

You mentioned 'even 8 handicap' as if that is elite or something. An 8 likely should be playing up a tee box, but something like 5 (?) and under likely should be back on the blues. Of course there are outliers that hit it longer/shorter than their index would suggest. I'm an 8 and it shows with my lack of distance

Posted:

• BreimanBreiman Members  42WRX Points: 27Handicap: 14Posts: 42 Bunkers

Always played the whites with my friends that could not sniff out a par to save their live. Just kept the driver in the bag. But if the completion was ok with it, we would play from the tips. But when my hc hovered over a 10 all the time, i decided that the whites were not that bad.

Posted:
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32920WRX Points: 3,500Posts: 32,920 Titanium Tees

They want to see the "whole" course? They like hitting fairway woods into par 4's? Ego? :-)

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

Grand Strand ( Myrtle Beach) area of SC----- And like you I have an old bag and play old stuff too---- I play persimmon woods quite a bit

Posted:

Advertisement

Well back in the days when we played that equipment we were younger more flexible and a heck of a lot stronger. Some guys have trouble elevating a modern ball with persimmon. When I use a modern ball playing persimmon I use either a Srixon Soft Feel or a Callaway Super Soft. Some guys use the Wilson 50 or Wilson Duo. Now I know some guys that can get a modern Pro V elevated

Posted:

OH absolutely it is a different game. I usually move up one set of tees when playing my strictly vintage equipment. But then again when playing vintage I care less about the score and my enjoyment is in the feel and sound of persimmon.

Posted:

• NaptimeNaptime Members  697WRX Points: 132Posts: 697 Golden Tee

When they finally broke 100 from the whites they figured playing from the blues would help their scores.

Posted:
  • caniac6caniac6 Members  3657WRX Points: 1,314Handicap: 4Posts: 3,657 Titanium Tees

I talked with a PGA Tour rules official at Greensboro one year, and he said the Prov1 was a glorified Pinnacle compared to the old balata ball. I remember in the persimmon days, if you hit a good tee shot, it looked like a jet taking off. It would launch low, and climb. If you hit one 250, it was crushed. I used to play tees around 6000 yards, and it was all I wanted. I'll be 66 in a couple weeks, and the tees I play are about 6700. Our back tees are 7000, and if I'm playing good, I can play them when the course is fast. I remember when 7000 was a pretty good test for the Tour guys.

Posted:

Ooh yes, there’s nothing like the sound and feel of Persimmon and Balata.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • miamistompmiamistomp Members  102WRX Points: 73Handicap: 13Posts: 102 Fairways

The balata ball spun like crazy . In 1965 I started as a caddy at 12 years old and remember slices and hooks going waay off line and having to find them because Wilson Staff, Dot, Tourney and Titleist were expensive . And if you didnt lose it , it would get lopsided or cut with a thin iron shot

Driver for most guys was the most difficult club to control- now for driving range warriors it is easier to hit for some than a good wedge shot

Something like a precept laddie flies pretty well off a wooden driver but still goes a lot straighter than the old ball

More guys should try challenging equipment- it is a whole different game and you want want to play from the tips-especially if you walk and carry your bag

Posted:

Definitely a more focused game back then, but not impossible. A lot of the old shafts tended to be more “whippy”, so you needed a slower transition to make them work.

Playing the blues back then was pretty much unthinkable, and most people who actually got onto the course were more experienced.

That’s changed no matter what.

You need the forgiveness for the worst amateurs, and they set the pace of play. They are the weakest link.

Posted:

I can only speak for myself, but I think your off on what it takes to get to an 8. It's way more about course management than talent to be an 8.

Posted:

• jdljdl Masshole MassMembers  2091WRX Points: 519Handicap: 8Posts: 2,091 Platinum Tees

Around the time Tiger burst onto the golf scene.

Posted:
  • HatsForBatsHatsForBats Members  2021WRX Points: 296Handicap: 7Posts: 2,021 Platinum Tees
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • islesmbislesmb Myrtle Beach, SC (from Long Island)Members  227WRX Points: 110Posts: 227 Fairways

Delete.

Posted:
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members  2874WRX Points: 1,019Posts: 2,874 Titanium Tees

I’m a 7. Yes had lessons, didn’t start playing til I was 23 and didn’t take lessons til over a decade later when I decided to get a little more serious.

Not my only hobby and I don’t belong to any club and play anywhere from 5-10 different courses a year

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.