GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

X-stiff tensei Pro in a 12* M2 spinning?

CrisPy3 ·  
CrisPy3CrisPy3 Members  458WRX Points: 75Posts: 458 Greens

Hey all,

I need a little help figuring this one out.

I have what I think is an average ball speed at 105-ish. My problem has always been keeping driver in play, hence why I play a higher loft. I typically play a Stiff but was still struggling to keep it straight (I know, more of a swing issue. I’m working on it). But to keep golf enjoyable I threw an xstiff in yesterday and while I was striking it well, and in the fairway, I couldn’t help but notice how spinny my drives were. I always thought an xstiff would just launch lower and have some roll and I was getting the exact opposite - high, spins that had me playing a good 20-30 yards behind my partners.

can someone much smarter than me help with this one?

Posted:

Comments

• LUXOR54LUXOR54 Members  45WRX Points: 54Posts: 45 Bunkers

shaft flex doesn't relate directly to launch and spin numbers. you can have high launch high spin x flex shafts, and low spin low launch regular flex shafts. shaft profile most likely didn't match your swing. i had a fly z driver with an x flex in it, high balloons all day.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members  1376WRX Points: 271Posts: 1,376 Platinum Tees

105 ball speed? U prob mean swing speed.

sounds like you fit in an extra stiff, but need to lower your loft a couple degrees. Plus I would be hesitant to mess with fairway finders unless I had real numbers to work with.

Posted:
    Xr 6* | hulk75tx(tipped 1.5, 44.75 playing length)   /  f9 13*  | hulk95tx (tipped 1.5, 43” playing length)  /  f8+ 16.5 | tzx100m5 (tipped 1.5, 41” playing length)  /   P790udi 17* | x7  /  p790 24* | x7wedge   Forgedonelength 4-p | x7wedge   onelengthmim 56*10 , 62*10| x7wedge  /  hitoe 64*5 | x7wedge  /   Phantomx(35”) | stabilitytour /  jumbomax ultralite xl  /  zstarxv

• SUPERGSUPERG Members  557WRX Points: 317Posts: 557 Golden Tee

swinging steep man, that is all. Shallow it out.

Posted:

Taylormade M5 - 10.5 - Diamana DF 70 TX

Taylormade Jetspeed TP 16.5 - Tour Green 95 TX

Taylormade P790 19' 3 Iron - KBS C Taper 130X

Mizuno MP18 SC 4-PW - KBS C Taper 130X

Titleist Vokey SM7 - 50* 54* 60* - DG S400

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

• CrisPy3CrisPy3 Members  458WRX Points: 75Posts: 458 Greens

Yes, sorry meant SS. So you’re saying get fitted..

Posted:
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members  1376WRX Points: 271Posts: 1,376 Platinum Tees

Yea of course that helps, But if your driver is adjustable I see no problem with turning it down some. I just wouldn’t go buy a new loft or shaft without testing is really my point

Posted:
    Xr 6* | hulk75tx(tipped 1.5, 44.75 playing length)   /  f9 13*  | hulk95tx (tipped 1.5, 43” playing length)  /  f8+ 16.5 | tzx100m5 (tipped 1.5, 41” playing length)  /   P790udi 17* | x7  /  p790 24* | x7wedge   Forgedonelength 4-p | x7wedge   onelengthmim 56*10 , 62*10| x7wedge  /  hitoe 64*5 | x7wedge  /   Phantomx(35”) | stabilitytour /  jumbomax ultralite xl  /  zstarxv

• mootrailmootrail Members  626WRX Points: 122Posts: 626 Golden Tee

A shaft change is not going to fix a driver head that doesn't fit you. Time for a new driver.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BlueDragonKoreaBlueDragonKorea SeattleMembers  49WRX Points: 47Handicap: 2.5Posts: 49 Bunkers

Driver loft affects spin a lot more than shaft. Try cranking down the loft or play around with a 10.5 or 9 degree head.

Posted:
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  25580WRX Points: 1,954Posts: 25,580 Titanium Tees

Of all the factors that influence the launch in spin, the shaft stiffness and way down on the list. The biggest factors are:

#1 face impact location

#2 dynamic loft - which comes from the static loft of the head and the amount of shaft lean you have at impact

If you have a problem with launch and spin, you should look at those things first.

Posted:
  • RacineBoxerRacineBoxer Members  903WRX Points: 178Handicap: 5Posts: 903 Golden Tee

Does #2 including striking the ball with a negative AoA? Similar to what SUPERG said above, my guess is that he's probably hitting down on it a bit (maybe even a little out to in). I know that is how I often get the high spinny ones.

Posted:
    Posted:

It’s funny you say that. Again, trying to keep it in the fairway, I have been teeing it lower

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  25580WRX Points: 1,954Posts: 25,580 Titanium Tees

No. AoA really isn't a really major factor in launch/spin problems. The emphasis is on problems. With ideal swings (not too much dynamic loft added at impact) and good impact only then will AoA make a small difference in what spin/launch conditions are possible. And it's mostly the really high swing speed players that will see some differences in distance. But the first step to fixing actual problems always has to look at impact and dynamic loft first.

High and spinny is a dynamic loft problem. If it's tied to a negative AoA, than it's more likely the same flaw or swing issue that's causing the negative AoA is also causing high dynamic loft at the same time.

Posted:

It's also important to realize that the feel of the shaft stiffness can have an influence on the shaft swing for some. So the shaft can influence the results more than what the launch characteristics imply. But the way it does it is very unpredictable and very subjective. It's best to stick with a shaft that feels good and gives good consistent results (regardless of the launch/spin).

Posted:
    Post edited by Stuart_G on

Thanks, Stuart. This is a White, which I thought a bunch of folks here said felt like a whiteboard. My favorite shaft ever. I do really like the feel of something loading in transition. This isn’t bad, just not feeling it. Any xstiff shafts that have that characteristic?

Posted:

There are no standards for what you may find (or feel) for any given flex label so anything is possible. But if you want to feel more loading, going down in flex is one way to try and do that so maybe you shouldn't limit yourself to x-stiff shafts. Especially since it was the change to x-stiff that started the problem with the high spin in the first place. You're particular reaction to the stiffer feeling shaft (not loading as much as you are used to) could very well be causing the problem.

Posted:
  • Red4282Red4282 Members  1064WRX Points: 432Handicap: +0.2Posts: 1,064 Platinum Tees

edit: just saw stuart already said this, and he is right.

Impact on launch in spin from greatest to least:

1-strike location on face

2- dynamic loft

3-center of gravity if club

4- shaft

id look at the first two for your answers

Posted:

Advertisement

Thanks. My strike location is actually good, I have a feeling I need to ramp the face down to “Lower” and see what happens. Thanks all

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.