GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Replace driver or fairway woods first?

DHitch ·  
DHitchDHitch Members  9WRX Points: 8Posts: 9 Bunkers

Hey all, I’ve been in the process of replacing an old bag of clubs for the last year and am now to the point of my woods. I’m happy with my bag putter thru 5 iron and have 4 spots left in the bag!

Im wondering what everyone’s opinion is as to whether I should get fit for a driver first or fairway woods first. I’m going to be doing them at separate fittings for sure as I only have the money to do one or the other right now. My thought is that maybe it’s best to replace driver first and hopefully get that to a more consistent point, then can concentrate on gapping/specific distances with my fairways? But then I wonder if I should just replace the fairways first and get a few more options in the bag for long approach shots now, and just worry about gapping from my 5 iron up? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Posted:

Best Answers

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • TourSpoonTourSpoon I'd rather be driving a Titleist...  156WRX Points: 91Handicap: 4.5Posts: 156 Fairways

Get the driver nailed down so you will only need to hit the fairway as a second on par 5s or off the tee for shortish par 4s. Getting a driver that works for you is priority.

Posted:
  • RoejyeRoejye  140WRX Points: 64Handicap: 19.4Posts: 140 Fairways

I say driver, find the club that goes the longest, then you can work on gapping the fairway woods.

Posted:
  • ChipNRunChipNRun  2496WRX Points: 622Posts: 2,496 Platinum Tees

Go with a driver. That sets up everything else in the game. A fitting will tell you what you need off the tee (loft to match clubhead speed, etc.)

And, selecting driver will nail down distance gap to 5i.

If your current fairway woods are trouble, get a 5W out of the used club bin that will work until you have more $$ in play.

Posted:
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS + MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr.  | Note: MD4 58°/8.C-grind may replace MD/PM
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperHot - orange
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course and season.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.

Answers

Advertisement
  • DHitchDHitch Members  9WRX Points: 8Posts: 9 Bunkers

That makes sense to me. Thanks for your response.

Posted:
  • OqvistOqvist Members  152WRX Points: 46Posts: 152 Fairways

Posted:

I have decent club head speed. I hit a 10 year old off the rack Adams driver With a regular (46 inch! I choke up) shaft about 265avg.

I know when I got fitted for irons I picked up about 15-20 yds on all of them so hoping to get something similar from newer and properly fit woods!

Posted:
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members  3309WRX Points: 885Handicap: 6Posts: 3,309 Titanium Tees

Driver seems like a good place to start, then... i think getting fit is probably the best approach if you don’t mind the initial upfront cost... I tend to buy used, but I know what I’m looking for.

ill probably get fit the next time around, though... unless I find a cheap st200g next season with a shaft I like.

Posted:

As of 6/5/20
    9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110 X
    13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha X
    18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce X
    6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0
    5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400
    4 iron / utility Sub 70 699 with Proforce 85 gram X
    50, 54, 60 Vokeys
    Tank Counter Balance #7
    Driver and Putter are set for now. Wedges are safe for time being.

• OqvistOqvist Members  152WRX Points: 46Posts: 152 Fairways

If you dont hit straight more distance just produce more oob as you get less angles to work with and need more precision.

But stiffer shafts may help a bit with precision. Not sure about new drivers though that go longer on misshits.

Posted:

Advertisement

I seem to be one of those borderline stiff/ regular shaft guys. That’s why I want to make sure I get a good fitting and can try some different shaft options!

Posted:
  • FlorisFloris Members  585WRX Points: 78Handicap: 4.2 (EURO)Posts: 585 Golden Tee

I started with the woods. But my reasoning is probably different than yours: I couldn’t hit the 3wood off the deck as well as I wanted :)

The next issue was that I then hit the woods much further than the clubs they replaced; the gap to the driver got too small. So then I got fit for a new driver.

This all happened beginning of July, still waiting on the drivershaft unfortunately 😳 (I’m loving the old Oban so much I might not want to swap it out for another HZRDUS Green anyway, would save me a bunch of cash too! 😋)

Posted:
    Post edited by Floris on
    TaylorMade SIM 9º | Oban Kiyoshi White 4-flex
    TaylorMade SIM Max 3-15º | HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
    TaylorMade SIM Max 5-18º | HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
    Mizuno 919 Forged 4-6 (2º weak) | PX 6.0
    Mizuno 919 Tour 7-P (2º weak) | PX 6.0
    Mizuno T20 52º/4º, 56º/14º, 60º/6º | PX 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5w with SuperStroke PistolGT 2.0 CB
    Titleist ProV1x 2020
    Arccos 360
    Clickgear B3 / Mizuno BR-D3 Blue/Grey/White or Titleist StaDry Black/Grey/Orange-ish

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.