***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Who else hates blind fairway holes?

Used2PlayALot ·  
Used2PlayALotUsed2PlayALot Members  336WRX Points: 101Posts: 336 Greens

There is a hole that has a straight ahead fairway but is blocked from plain view by large dunes

I have hit a dead straight drive to dead center of the fairway and could not find the ball.

Last 3 times on this hole, I hit some of the best drives of my life, and lost ball.

I hate that.

Posted:

Comments

• savingparsavingpar Members  27WRX Points: 53Posts: 27 Bunkers

Preach on! I hate blind shots. Hard enough already to see your target hahaha lol

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members  3609WRX Points: 462Posts: 3,609 Titanium Tees

They are OK as long the blind fairway is wide enough and the rough not insane. But fairways that are impossible to see and instant ball losers for a minor error are unfair.

Posted:
  • DennyJonesDennyJones Members  92WRX Points: 58Handicap: n/aPosts: 92 Fairways

One local course near me the first hole is a double dog leg where the tee shot has to be played just to the right of a tree to find the left dog leg. It's a blind up hill shot. There is a driving range on the left and trees on the right. I hate it.

Posted:
    From the land of perpetual cloudiness: Michigan
  • SandlesSandles Members  18WRX Points: 15Handicap: 10Posts: 18 Bunkers

Worst is when it's the first time you're playing the course!

Posted:
  • klebs01klebs01 Members  660WRX Points: 282Handicap: 2.5Posts: 660 Golden Tee
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • NaptimeNaptime Members  697WRX Points: 132Posts: 697 Golden Tee

Just slows down play unless the carts share GPS data with the group behind. Aside from the ball finding delays. If we played to large galleries and forecaddies it would be different.

Posted:
  • TourSpoonTourSpoon I'd rather be driving a Titleist... Members  162WRX Points: 95Handicap: 4.5Posts: 162 Fairways

We have an interesting course here that was built on a recycled land fill that has plenty of elevations and some blind shots. The tee shots aren't too bad because there are some targets to aim at and there is one uphill par 3 that you can see the flag but not the green but its short and predictable. The one ridiculous hole is the par 3 9th that plays blind only from the tips at 243 yards. Now I don't play that far back but you can't even see the green from the tee box because it sits so far down the hill. Here is a 3D from Google Earth and the tee is far right.

Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21795WRX Points: 5,791Posts: 21,795 ClubWRX

Loved a couple blind shots in particular at Prestwick, Traigh and Brora. Played some others as well. Kind of fun, as a change.

Posted:
  • RSinSGRSinSG St George, UT (Formerly Palm Springs, CA)ClubWRX  3518WRX Points: 542Handicap: 7.3Posts: 3,518 ClubWRX

Funny stuff here - but true. I'm getting cataract surgery this month. I don't want to as my everyday vision is good enough and with glasses I can read, BUT I can't see the ball beyond 125 or so yards. Conversely, my golfing buddy who is a couple of years older than me has Coke Bottle reading glasses but he can tell you the number on a ball from 250 yards. (Exaggeration but you get my point.) He is always the one to find wayward tee shots.

As far as blind tee shots, the only time they bug me is when I'm playing a new course without a guide. Its miserable to hit a perfect drive and not find your ball.

Posted:
    Ping G410 Tour AD DI S
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

Advertisement
  • ChancemanChanceman Members  970WRX Points: 315Handicap: 14Posts: 970 Golden Tee

Blind shots are part of life - why not in golf?

Posted:
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25613WRX Points: 2,831Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,613 ClubWRX

One of my long time golfing buds had his cataracts done 2 years ago. They input lenses and he's not 20/25 and doesn't wear contacts or glasses anymore. Sending good thought to you on comparable success!

Posted:
  • TourSpoonTourSpoon I'd rather be driving a Titleist... Members  162WRX Points: 95Handicap: 4.5Posts: 162 Fairways

Slightly off topic, but I detached my retina in my late 40s and the treatment results in a cataract. So I had both eyes done, picked a lens that corrected for mid-range and distance (for golf and driving) and have no issues on the course. I use readers but my golf vision is tremendous.

Posted:
  • RoodyRoody A little gust, Romes Rochester, NYMembers  1317WRX Points: 362Handicap: 5.1Posts: 1,317 Platinum Tees

Not as much as I hate uphill blind par 3 shots. My home course has two of them.

As far as blind fairway shots, we have one at my home course. I don't mind it so much, the only thing that bothers me is there is a bell up just near the end of where most people can reasonably drive the ball to. And the group ahead is supposed to ring it when they're about to move ahead so the group behind can tee off. More often than you'd think, the groups forget to ring the bell.

Posted:
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)
  • double_ddouble_d Members  502WRX Points: 206Posts: 502 Golden Tee

You would hate golf in Western PA. blind fairways and blind approaches all over the place.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • klebs01klebs01 Members  660WRX Points: 282Handicap: 2.5Posts: 660 Golden Tee
    Posted:
  • hammergolfhammergolf St. LouisMembers  652WRX Points: 317Handicap: 3Posts: 652 Golden Tee

Guess you won't be playing the Dell and the Klondike at Lahinch then,

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9 Tour 65 Stiff
    Ping G410 3wd @ 15.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 7wd @ 19.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G25 5-PW Steelfiber i95
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50*, 56* @ 55, 60* Modus 105 Stiff
    Evnroll TR8 33"
  • Nels55Nels55 Members  524WRX Points: 274Handicap: 6.8Posts: 524 Golden Tee

Blind shots are not a good idea on busy courses as it there are times where there is no way to know if it is okay to hit from the tee. We have one hole where you cannot see the green or the fairway so it is difficult to know when to hit. Anyway I prefer to be able to see where the ball ends up but I can see where other golfers might enjoy blind shots. I guess it is kind of fun to walk up to the green wondering if the ball stayed on or might be close and then surprise, it's in the hole!

Posted:

Driver Mizuno ST190 9.5* / Paderson Ballistic KG70-D40. Hybrids: 3 and 4 Rogue / Steelfiber HLS980. Irons 5 through Wedge PXG 0311 / Steelfiber i110. Wedges 50*, 56*, 62* MacDaddy 4 / Steelfiber i110.

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2656WRX Points: 1,048Posts: 2,656 Titanium Tees

I've played a few courses with bells or gongs and one that had a periscope.

I think blind shots when constructed so as to obscure the landing area or portioning of a landing area but no to the point of not being able to see the group in front of you or to the point you don't know they are there is not good. Slows play.

Similarly, greens obscured with a bunker or an infinity green are interesting when used once or at most twice a round. Just to the point the green surface is not visible. Or better yet, let there be an option (hopefully not readily recognized) from the tee that opens the view to the green surface from the fairway but the "easy" path results in a hidden green.

Posted:
  • CactusGolfCactusGolf ClubWRX  1876WRX Points: 75Handicap: 6Posts: 1,876 Platinum Tees

Not a big fan of the blind tee shots, mostly because they really slow up play since many courses don't have any way of knowing if the fairway is clear or not. I've played on a few courses with bells, but Goodyear Golf Club had a light system. Push the light when you leave the tee box, flip the switch when you reach the end of the fairway. It worked really well.

Since I've been playing different courses this year, I had to buy a GPS that had the hole layouts.

Posted:
    Taylormade M5 10.5* Mitsubishi Tensei Orange
    Taylormade M6 15* Fujikura Atmos Orange
    Cobra F8 17.5* Aldila NV
    Taylormade PSi 4-PW KBS Tour
    Callaway MD3 50*/54*/58*
    Nike Method Origin B2-01
    Srixon Q-Star Tour
    WITB Link

Advertisement
  • davep043davep043 Members  5325WRX Points: 2,498Handicap: 6.3Posts: 5,325 Titanium Tees

This hole and periscope?

I've played blind tee shots, and blind par-3s, and lots of others. My home club has an uphill blind par-3, two or three par-4s where I'm aiming over trees to get to the good part of the fairway, and maybe 2 or 3 more blind tee shots I think they're fine as an exception, not great when too frequent. My home course is pushing the frequency a bit, but I'm used to it by now.

Posted:

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

• bpink21901bpink21901 MDMembers  124WRX Points: 91Posts: 124 Fairways

I am not a fan of blind tee shots without someone at the hilltop letting you know it is safe to hit. I nearly killed somebody on such a hole in a club championship a few years ago.....

walked over the hilltop to see him bleeding from a head wound....i was the third guy to hit in our threesome, all of us split the fairway.....we hit after we waited for 5 minutes on the tee after the other guy came back to re-hit while we were there because he lost his tee shot that was slightly right of center....

the guy I hit had stayed down there to watch for his re-hit ball.....but he didn't see it so they looked and looked finally finding it. My ball caught him behind the ear as he drove his cart back across the fairway, in the air, no bounce. After slowing the bleeding, he kept playing and did surprisingly well on the last few holes. I kept playing did not do well, kept watching him in front of us hoping he wouldn't keel over.

We should have gone to the hill crest to watch them but we were all walking & figured with somebody watching for the drive and only 1 ball left to hit from there 5 + min was plenty....we were wrong.

Posted:

Ping G410, 9*, Flat position, Accra Tour Z X265 M5
    RBZ 3 wood 13*
    Ping I20 17* & 23* Hybrids
    Miz JPX 919 HMP 4i, Proj X LZ 6.0 (occasionally swapped in for the 23* or 17)
    Miz JPX 900 Forged, 5-PW Proj X LZ 6.0, 2
    flat, -3/8"
    Cleveland 588, Proj X LZ 6.5
    SeeMore FGP with
    Bullseye Wide Flange, Anser, Zing, Odyssey Teron, TPM, etc, in hot standby mode

• DennyJonesDennyJones Members  92WRX Points: 58Handicap: n/aPosts: 92 Fairways

There is a local goat track that has ladders players climb to see if it is safe to play (hole #1, hole #6).

Posted:
    From the land of perpetual cloudiness: Michigan
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32920WRX Points: 3,500Posts: 32,920 Titanium Tees

I don't care much for blind shots...to me it is a sign of poor golf course architecture.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• GSDriverGSDriver Members  1128WRX Points: 277Handicap: 3 to 4Posts: 1,128 Platinum Tees

If the OP really hit it dead straight in the middle of the fairway they would have found their ball.

Nothing wrong with blind shots, tests players confidence and abilities. I find them kind of fun, especially when pull of a good shot required by the hole's architecture.

Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ Tensei AV Blue 65
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 2.0 Slate 58/64
    Odyssey EXO Stroke Lab 7 Mini
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3

Advertisement
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2656WRX Points: 1,048Posts: 2,656 Titanium Tees

No, unfortunately not. I am not that widely traveled. It is near UK but not United Kingdom, rather University of Kentucky. Spring Valley has a hole that has a periscope. Great old club that has one of those well done old school designs with geometric features. It was built after WW2 so it must have been a conscious effort to build it in that style or it has been renovated to have those features.

Lakewood Country Club in Russel Springs, KY has a gong you have to hit after playing a par five with a rolly polly fairway where you may not be able to see the green depending upon whether you are up on top of the hill or down in a valley.

A local muni had a blind driving hole as the number one hole. It was a pain to get off the first tee as you had to drive up to ensure the group in front of you had cleared then you had to drive back to the tee, often having to clear the tee of the group behind you who thought you had already hit.

Posted:
  • double_ddouble_d Members  502WRX Points: 206Posts: 502 Golden Tee

There is a blind shot on Pebble Beach. Actually there are a couple.

I've always thought that Pebble Beach was kind of overrated.

Something like 8 very good to exceptional holes and about 10 just good holes.

Posted:
    Post edited by double_d on
  • RSinSGRSinSG St George, UT (Formerly Palm Springs, CA)ClubWRX  3518WRX Points: 542Handicap: 7.3Posts: 3,518 ClubWRX

Maybe not. I've played several courses where the fairway ran out unbeknownst to us. Into a ravine or impossible rough. Its easy to lose a straight 250 yard shot when the blind fairway ends at 240 yards.

Posted:
    Ping G410 Tour AD DI S
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

Advertisement
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16996WRX Points: 1,082Handicap: 4-5Posts: 16,996 Titanium Tees

With blind fairway area length of hole is not the determining factor for club choice. Where people error in judgment is pulling driver or any club that hits the ball so far that you can't see the ball finish. When I face similar conditions most times I either use 2i or 3i or even a shorter club and hit my ball to a landing area that is visible. If that means I have a long shot in from there or have to play a Par 4 as if a Par 5, fine. I'd rather have a chance to save par using a wedge or take a bogie than a double-bogie or more for lost balls. That to my way of thinking is course management.

I am reminded of all the blind shots at The Home of Golf - St. Andrews and other UK courses, it's rather natural and common.

Said it before and will again, I read what the designer intends and then measure up to the conditions, not the other way around. One thing you won't see me doing is making the same mistake over and over wishing it was different. 🤣 Good way to pad one's handicap though.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 3i i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 4i-PW, Steelfiber i110 "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber i125 "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 & AVX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.