***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Under what circumstance do you cheat and not take a penalty stroke ?

Used2PlayALot ·  
Used2PlayALotUsed2PlayALot Members  336WRX Points: 101Posts: 336 Greens
Joined:  edited Aug 2, 2020 4:58am in Rules of Golf and Etiquette #1

If I can't locate a ball that was clearly in play, did not go OB, to try to keep speed of play quick,

but would have been found by a PGA audience, sometimes I don't take a penalty.

In my mind, it's not truly a lost ball.

The other time I cheat is when my ball is in a footprint in the trap.

I will move it to a regular patch of sand.

In my mind, a proper bunker would have been raked.

The other time I cheat is if my ball lands on a dead patch of mud on a poor condition course.

I reason that a proper PGA course would not have patches of dead grass, so I use foot wedge to give me a lie on grass.

Sort of like the famous Payne Stewart divot shot at the 98 US Open,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDCi0eRcLUM

Posted:

Comments

• savingparsavingpar Members  27WRX Points: 53Posts: 27 Bunkers

I think the only time would be if you hit another fairway over and if someone hit your fairway and another hit your ball. Then I would replace and play.

also if it land on a bunch of rocks to mess my club up, I’ll move it no closer to the hole in the same lie with no rocks to mess my club up

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members  3609WRX Points: 462Posts: 3,609 Titanium Tees

Never. The game of golf has integrity.

Posted:
  • DennyJonesDennyJones Members  92WRX Points: 58Handicap: n/aPosts: 92 Fairways
    Posted:
    From the land of perpetual cloudiness: Michigan
  • The_Golfing_HackThe_Golfing_Hack Members  8WRX Points: 16Posts: 8 Bunkers

Same with me and my group of people I normally play with. Won’t hit off rocks because we pay for our own stuff.

also play preferred lies in the fairway if the fairways haven’t been cut

Posted:
  • kwcsportskwcsports Nova Scotia, CanadaMembers  858WRX Points: 158Handicap: 11Posts: 858 Golden Tee

Early spring if the course is soaked and all of us see my ball down the middle and it plugs and can't be found, I'm not taking a penalty. This only applies if we all agree where my ball was. Any doubt, it's a lost ball. Other then that, I don't cheat.

Posted:
    WITB
    Ping G10 Driver- Matrix White Tie
    Callaway X Hot 3W- Project X
    Callaway X Hot 4H- Project X
    Lynx Parallax 5-SW- Nippon NS Pro 950GH
    Ping Eye 2 SW- DG S300
    Nike VR Forged LW- DG S300
    Ray Cook Blue Goose
    Srixon

Advertisement
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers  7452WRX Points: 1,520Handicap: 3.9-9.3-7.7 (Health issue)Posts: 7,452 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

• SawgrassSawgrass Members  16093WRX Points: 1,257Posts: 16,093 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
  • sui generissui generis Members  4573WRX Points: 880Posts: 4,573 Titanium Tees

Check the history of the OP; nothing but vapid posts. Don't waste your energy with replies. (Though a mere four letters and a period do seem fitting.)

Posted:
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • rogolfrogolf Members  4499WRX Points: 741Posts: 4,499 Titanium Tees

Maybe there should be a "How I Cheat at Golf" heading in addition to the Rules and Etiquette so the two opposite topics don't get combined?

Posted:
  • NaptimeNaptime Members  697WRX Points: 132Posts: 697 Golden Tee

Depends on the event and what you're doing with the score. If you are in an actual competition it's not like playing a casual round with pals where you all agree to your options. That's not cheating any more than playing a best shot scramble. One could argue you are not really playing golf in either case, but a game that closely resembles it. If the pro in a pro-am hits 2 balls into a green for practice I don't think the cheater police haul him off to the golf jail.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ScottFScottF Members  19WRX Points: 20Posts: 19 Bunkers

If I’m not in competition, (I never am!) ticky tacky infractions like a ball moving a bit, are never called by anybody I play with. A mulligan here or there by anybody in the group isn’t a big deal. Go ahead, roll it over if you want, I don’t care. We don’t submit scores for handicaps or play for money. We write down scores on a card, but nobody pays much attention to what anyone else shot. OB’s, balls in the water or a ball lost in the woods we’ll take a penalty but wouldn’t walk back to the tee to enforce it. We only play for fun.

Posted:
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  5173WRX Points: 920Posts: 5,173 Titanium Tees

The rules allow you to replace and play without penalty if someone moves your ball.

Posted:
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members  2874WRX Points: 1,019Posts: 2,874 Titanium Tees

Always love the “we don’t have galleries like the tour” or “we don’t have pristine courses”

theres never a need to cheat.

Posted:
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  5173WRX Points: 920Posts: 5,173 Titanium Tees

Just seems silly to trudge back to the previous spot for a lost ball in a casual round when you're barely keeping score. Other than that, I play by all the rules. I'll take a double for my unofficial handicap calculations.

Posted:
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members  2874WRX Points: 1,019Posts: 2,874 Titanium Tees

If you are in a casual round and/or barely keeping score you aren’t playing by the duke dog golf so you aren’t technically cheating because the rules already aren’t being applied.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • caniac6caniac6 Members  3657WRX Points: 1,314Handicap: 4Posts: 3,657 Titanium Tees

We don't damage clubs. Last week I played in an inter club match, and after a guy on the other team hit a shot, he said he was close to a root. I told him that if that happened again, move it. I know that is not within the rules, but I don't want to see a guy get hurt in a senior inter club, and, although I want to win, I don't want to win that way.

Posted:
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members  1296WRX Points: 907Handicap: 12Posts: 1,296 Platinum Tees

Our course has a weekly competition where any member who likes plays a round at some point during the week. You submit the round whoever had the best round wins some nominal prize (stableford)

Anyway I had a reservation for 1:20, and when I checked in the pro shop guy said it's pretty wide open, and when we went down to the first tee we saw no one on the first 2 holes (both visible from there). So we teed off at about 1:10. Alas, I failed to disqualify myself for teeing off more than 5 minutes in advance of my starting time. Had I teed off at 1:15-1:19:59 I probably wouldn't have assessed myself the general penalty either.

Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

• Red4282Red4282 Members  1076WRX Points: 436Handicap: +0.2Posts: 1,076 Platinum Tees

Lol im hopin this was in jest. The first two i was like ok, not terrible but the rest of em ... 🤔

Posted:
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Quitting WRX may be in my future... Members  5875WRX Points: 1,197Posts: 5,875 Titanium Tees

Agreed, a soft handed punch shot or take a drop, either count as 1 stroke. No free drops for roots.

Before they changed the rules, for OB our league would use 2 stroke penalty if a provisional wasn't played. So I guess that's the rule we broke on purpose.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • wobgonwobgon Members  8023WRX Points: 835Posts: 8,023 Titanium Tees

Which rules are you talking about being changed?

Posted:
  • trileriantrilerian Members  655WRX Points: 161Handicap: 13.1Posts: 655 Golden Tee

It's comical sometimes how people justify breaking the rules... Here it is, if you are posting your score for handicap, don't cheat! If you are not posting for handicap, who cares what you do, just don't brag about your pb that you had a few foot wedges while achieving.

Posted:

Driver: TM M6

Fairway(s): TM 2017 M2 5W

Hybrid(s): TM Sim Max 4H

Irons: Callaway Apex 19 4-AW

Wedge(s): Vokey 54s, 60l

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5

• BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Quitting WRX may be in my future... Members  5875WRX Points: 1,197Posts: 5,875 Titanium Tees
  • cadoipicadoipi Members  153WRX Points: 153Posts: 153 Fairways

Yes in jest. I ordered them like that for a reason to show that justifying cheating by saying "it's not like that on tour" could lead one to all sorts of crazy conclusions.

Posted:
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members  1128WRX Points: 277Handicap: 3 to 4Posts: 1,128 Platinum Tees

So what you're saying is you cheat? Each to their own I guess, but displays integrity or possibly lack thereof.

Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ Tensei AV Blue 65
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 2.0 Slate 58/64
    Odyssey EXO Stroke Lab 7 Mini
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3

Advertisement

Cheating requires someone to gain advantage over others. So long as everyone he's playing with are playing the same (modified) rules then No advantage was gained and is by definition not cheating.

Posted:
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members  1128WRX Points: 277Handicap: 3 to 4Posts: 1,128 Platinum Tees

So let's just all agree to make up whatever rules we deem we like and just play those....winning formula for some, not sure who, but if you say so.

Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ Tensei AV Blue 65
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 2.0 Slate 58/64
    Odyssey EXO Stroke Lab 7 Mini
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.