When to buy Irons such as Miura?

Guest Twists

As a fly fisherman, I have always enjoyed "classic" equipment.. bamboo rods, g&p reels, etc.

Due to the restrictions resulting from Covid-19, I have recently taken up golf, currently with a very much game-improvement focused set of clubs. But I think the goal - probably much more than a decent handicap - would be to play beautiful clubs I can enjoy.

So I am wondering... at what point does it even make sense for me to look at something like Miura irons, assuming that their more classic approach requires a certain skill-level to play them well? (Or well enough not to slow down the game or get frustrated...)

There is nothing wrong with owning more than one set. Use your full on GI set for everyday play/practice and get the Miura's to grow into and/or play just because. The type of iron one plays isn't super important so long as the clubs fit them physically in terms of length and overall weight.

The PP-9003 are my suggestion. They are midsized and offer some real help in terms of forgiveness but they are Miura's through and through with impeccable build quality and beauty. This model has been discontinued so now is the time to grab them. Find yourself a clubmaker when you are ready and have them built up to your liking. I've got a set and count it as one of my better purchases.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Miura-Golf-PP-9003-Straight-neck-Iron-heads-6-PW-6-GW-5-PW-or-5-GW-Cavity-back/164128340542

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Haha, I actually thought about that, but I guess I should at least be good enough to get properly fitted.

Any recommendation what goes well with Miura for woods / hybrids? Ryoma?

I've only been playing 3 years and started playing CB-301's in the fall of last year. I still have my set of G410's, and Apex 19's in the garage, but neither are as consistent (or fell as good as the Miura's). I'm currently a 15 handicap and the Miura's are very easy for me to hit. Got my first hole in 1 this summer with my 8i, too. If the CB-301 line is what's on your radar I would buy with confidence if your main concern is game improvement. I dropped my handicap 7 full points since I went Miura full time. Is it the clubs? The Indian? That's a different debate, but they sure didn't hurt my game, that much is certain.

Shank's 2023 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym TD 8* +1.N/Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6X

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Epic Speed Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

-Pro V1X

14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

Spotted my first ever sighting of Miura irons out in the wild last week. They were a cavity back model. Looked pretty nice. You can go with Miura or buy an older classic set and see if that type of iron appeals to you and your game. The older Hogan, Wilson, MacGregor, RAM, and other makes blades are plentiful and cheap in the used club market on eBay.

Punishment for a bad shot doesn't help someone hit a good shot the next time.

• Like 4

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Depends on your goals and how athletic you are. If you are the type that will put the time in required to improve your ball striking, then go for it. Do you have a decent swing with decent ball striking already when it comes to your irons? If you've got a reasonable starting point, then I say go for it. Set your expectations and work towards the goal.

I went from playing some old cast Nike CCi irons to Srixon z585 to forged Miura TC-201. Not a blade, but still was a little intimidating for someone that routinely shoots in the low and mid 90s. I went from mild GI cavity back irons to an iron that is a players "tour cavity" back that requires some game. My biggest complaint with full GI irons is that you can't hold firm greens as well (due to lack of spin), and less feeling of control. Distance is always good with GI irons, but sometimes you want a little more feel and control and ability to shape a creative shot.

I have been playing tennis for about 5 years seriously, and I quickly advanced to the point where I needed a more players racquet with more "feel". You can only go so far with a 110 sq inch racquet if you advance beyond a certain point and want to start learning new skills. I think golf is that way. Life is short, play the irons you want and put in the work you need to gel with them. It's going to be frustrating at first, but expect it to possibly take years of work to game them to their full potential.

As others have said, whenever you want. You could buy them and play them now but there are definitely folks out there who will be extremely judgmental if you’re chunking shots left and right. Most of those folks are on the internet, however.

• Like 1

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

I recently purchased a new set of Miura Y-grind cavity back heads on ebay and installed Nippon modus 105 shaft pulls that I also found on ebay. I have less than $800. total in 7 quality clubs. After adjusting lofts and lies to fit my swing I find that I hit these irons straighter and they hold more greens than my gamers . I don't get quite the distance with them however and I definitely pay the penalty for a mishit. Still, a fun project and I love the looks and feel of these beautiful irons.

• Like 1

Buy the most foregiving clubs you can stand looking at if you want to shoot your lowest scores. That is the mantra of every fitter and rep I have heard. I have played foregiving clubs and currently have mbs in the bag. I am not an elite ball striker, but I like the way they look and feel. From the 7 iron down I'd say you won't see much difference. Buy shiny nice toys and enjoy them. The good shots feel better, and mentally you feel confident looking at them.

• Like 1

If anything can go right, it might!

The first time I heard about Miura golf clubs I knew I had to own a set. It's like owning a Rolex or Rolls Royce if that is your thing. In my mind it was the best built clubs with the tightest tolerances and once you own a set nothing else will ever be good enough. In 2012 I went for a club fitting and was quoted around $2500 for a set. Too steep for my pocket. 5 years later I stumbled on a set of CB-202 for a quarter of the price and bought them. If cost is not an issue, then by all means get yourself a set. If you think you need to be a single digit handicapper to play them, then I would say all manufacturers have different styles for different abilities.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2020 at 4:45 AM, Nessism said:

There is nothing wrong with owning more than one set. Use your full on GI set for everyday play/practice and get the Miura's to grow into and/or play just because. The type of iron one plays isn't super important so long as the clubs fit them physically in terms of length and overall weight.

The PP-9003 are my suggestion. They are midsized and offer some real help in terms of forgiveness but they are Miura's through and through with impeccable build quality and beauty. This model has been discontinued so now is the time to grab them. Find yourself a clubmaker when you are ready and have them built up to your liking. I've got a set and count it as one of my better purchases.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Miura-Golf-PP-9003-Straight-neck-Iron-heads-6-PW-6-GW-5-PW-or-5-GW-Cavity-back/164128340542

If you want a set of Moira’s Ddo yourself a favour and buy these irons off eBay. They are classic and more suited to newer golfers. 
Some would suggest it’s a fallacy that you are not good enough to get fit and that you should do this right away. In my mind you have two options. 
If you have concerns about your lack of golf skills and money is an issue buy some used iron shafts off eBay as well and get a local to assemble the set. You will probably be able to guess between stiff and regular based on reading this forum and assessing your athletic ability. 
If you are not concerned about money buy these irons off eBay and go to a fitter to asses your swing and assemble your set. 
In the end since you are new you will probably need to be refit in a couple seasons anyways. 

• Like 1

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

On 8/2/2020 at 6:45 AM, Nessism said:

I think this is perfect advice.  Add on that the irons  are about the toughest to gauge skill level to own.  I bought a set and tried to grow into them, but I do switch back and forth.  The wedges and other clubs are easy to hit though

• 2 weeks later...

As a zebco boy, with his rebel lure, he’d land mighty bm bass. Many a splash was seen.

Am I ready to buy a Wagner or Nervos rod? 

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

On 8/2/2020 at 5:00 AM, Guest said:

As a fly fisherman, I have always enjoyed "classic" equipment.. bamboo rods, g&p reels, etc.

Due to the restrictions resulting from Covid-19, I have recently taken up golf, currently with a very much game-improvement focused set of clubs. But I think the goal - probably much more than a decent handicap - would be to play beautiful clubs I can enjoy.

So I am wondering... at what point does it even make sense for me to look at something like Miura irons, assuming that their more classic approach requires a certain skill-level to play them well? (Or well enough not to slow down the game or get frustrated...)

To be  honest with you there is no right and wrong answer. I bought my first set of clubs in 2001 and to be honest with I just wanted to learn how to golf.

Over the years I finally decided to go blades with my shorter irons(8-Pw) 4 years ago to improve my scoring and I went with Mizuno MP-18 (8-Pw) and Taylormade RS TP( 3-7). During the course of this experiment I heard about Miura and decided to get a 7 iron MB-001 just to experiment, and that started my madness into the world of Miura.

Last year year I decided to play a bag of blades as the Taylormades were replaced with Mb-001. Initially it was a struggle as I my scores shot back to the mid 90s but eventually settled into the low 80s and high 70s towards the end of the season. The Miuras demanded that I put in the time at the range to actually understand the fundamentals of the swing whichj has improved my game.

This year I completely switched everything to Miura MB-001 and my low scores are mid 70s and high scores low 80s, and now I am building a second set of Miuras that will be last clubs that I hope to own.

So in a nutshell, it is never too early or late to try them and purchase them.

I've owned the 501's and I can say that Miura makes a great club, but I would stay away if you are a mediocre ball striker and chasing more distance out of your irons. If you know your game well and like to shape the ball these or their blades are a good choice.

If you wanted to stay J-spec and user friendly I would opt for ONOFF Kuro, or the Seven MB's are probably the best thing out their at the moment.

If you want a great set without breaking the bank, a set of Tourstage z101's are amazing sticks... I see a few sets on eBay  for 200-300... they'll kick most sets out of any golf bag. 

non J-spec i would say Adams MB2 (the unicorns of the US golf world).

How would Seven irons compare to Miura? I understand that they are also “forged”, but then milled from a single block. Can the “feel” of the irons be compared?

And in this respect, are their models (eg the CB) more forgiving than Miuras?

Edited by Twists

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2020 at 7:00 AM, Guest said:

That’s pretty simple in my mind...when spending that kind of cash doesn’t bother you!  Skill level has never stopped many golfers from buying equipment beyond their ability...usually it’s lack of $$$s. 
Buy whatever makes you happy. 

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

On 8/2/2020 at 2:17 PM, Nessism said:

Punishment for a bad shot doesn't help someone hit a good shot the next time.

You have a curious way of presenting your opinions as facts. 

RomaRo 435LX 10*-Quadra FEX 65SX 

PRGR Egg HD 14.5*-Fubuki 75S 3W
PRGR EGG 20* - M-43S 7 wood

RomaRo iBrid 2 22* - Crazy Hybrid 

Miura PP9003SN 5-G - Modus 125S 

Miura HB12 @ 55* - Modus 125 W

2015 PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V

Axis1 Rose - Garsen Quad Tour grip

• 1 month later...

The best time to purchase Miuras is when you can afford them, lol.  If price is no object for you I would recommend getting a set.  They are some of the most beautifully crafted irons on the planet and feel like....you know, that quote from American Pie. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I would say drop to about 15 handicap first before you consider Miura. If you have all the money in the world, buy them whenever you want.

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star