2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How's Golf doing?.....

Titleist99

In 2000 the purse for the PGA Championship was $5,000,000 with the winner receiving $900,000. This years PGA Championship purse is $11,000,000 with the winner receiving close to $2,000,000,,,,,Not bad for a weeks work. If my son was starting out in sport I think golf is definitely worth thinking about now.....Not to mention that golf might be the only big time sport on TV for a while. With all the high profile athletes playing golf as a secondary sport …..do you think that golf is on the right track or should they go the route of Top golf and make it more of an entertainment niche….I personal think that golf is just fine and prospering.

Floundering at best would by my view.

The size of purses going up is certainly a huge positive and is testament to the work that the PGA Tour did to harness the Tiger effect. That is not going to last forever, especially with Tiger being so hit and miss now. It is clear that regardless of how he plays the networks will show more of his shots than they don’t and there will be weeks when he has it (as a huge fan, I really hope that he does) but they are going to be outnumbered by the weeks that he doesn’t or simply isn’t fit enough to be there at all. How long can the Tour and Golf harness ever increasing prizes to a golfer who is well into the Back 9 of his career? Beyond Tiger, whilst there are some great and well known names amongst golf fans the, closest name that we have to transcending sport is Rory and how well known is he? His extremely brief cameo in the latest Nike advert which covers all sports would tend to suggest not as much as we might think.

Added into that, is the increasingly poor presentation of the product which is being provided by the PGA Tour and the host networks at a time where there are more options than ever for the viewer. There needs to be huge overhaul of how they are presenting their product to get more eyes onto it. At this moment in time it seems that rather than focusing on increasing the number of viewers and in turn making their advertising slots more expensive, they seem forced to shove that advertising down our throats because they are so beholden to their advertisers. I mean honestly, does anyone at Tour HQ really believe that viewers on a Thursday morning care that player X would move from 114 to a projected 103 in the FedEx Cup standings if he manages to stay in the same tie for 2nd? Surely they don’t but the need to shoehorn in any mention of the FedEx Cup that they can to give value to their sponsors. If things keep on going the way that they do, they will need to do even more of that as viewers will increasingly turn off or more over to something where they aren’t bombarded with the same corporate message over and over again.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

i hope my kids play golf and love the game as I do. Do I want to push them into it because I think they’ll be on the pga tour, no. The odds of making a real career out of golf is astronomically low. You really have to be ranked in the top 125 in the world to make good money. The guys on the Korn Ferry aren’t making squat outside of maybe the top 3 guys. My buddy that played on that tour said it used to cost him about $60k a year just to compete.

This weekend's PGA Championship will tell us a lot from a ratings standpoint...If TW is in the hunt on the weekend they will draw well, because its TW and he drives the market, also there is little to no competition, NBA and MLB ratings are in the crapper, now we just need Harding Park to show us a venue worth a major

"The game of golf" or professional golf? They are two different things in my opinion.

How is baseball doing? The MLB players (stars) get payed a ton. Owners aren't going hungry. But yet the game of baseball participation is going down. And from the friends of mine own mouth's, the level of competition is being watered down at the youth level. Park leagues are less competitive due to travel leagues. Travel leagues are less competitive due to increasingly more "decent" players playing on travel teams. Travel team coaches/manager and tournament directors can make a fair amount of money from a weekend tournament though.

^Similar comparisons in my opinion.

Golf the game is fine. My home course is semi private. We play a good bit of public play. This year we’ve cleared enough to completely pay for new cartpath on all 18 ( asphalt ) and a practice chipping green is finally in the works. Covid has caused an explosion of players. And we’ve signed up 12 more new members than this time last year. In SC golf is booming. You can’t get a tee time on the weekend the day before. Luckily members have a blocked section. But before you Could walk in Saturday morning with no time and get out before 10 no problem. They turn folks away now. Booked until 4/5 at least.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

PRO golf is doing okay, when TW plays ratings are off the hook, when he doesn't nobody watches. Just look at the ratings for "The Match 2", off the charts. The problem is that TW isn't going to be around forever and there's really nobody to replace him.

GOLF the sport is doing fine, lots of people picking up clubs for the first time during Corona. Some will stick with it, overall golf as a sport is seeing more new blood than any time since the Tiger Slam days.

That’s my point. If Tiger moves the needle so much even when he is a regular a non-factor, what are they going to do when he is a complete non factor. That time is going to come soon enough when it comes to even just playing never mind competing for wins. If the Tour keeps going the way that it has been with television coverage, it is simply going to result in even more sponsorship and ads being shoved down our throats making the broadcast even more unwatchable and the cycle continues...

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

More ads is an issue independent of Tiger. They’ll run as many as ads and sell as many sponsorships as they can get away with - as do all broadcasters in all sports (except CBS during the Masters).

Tiger was a complete non factor from 2015-2017. The networks that recently re-upped know his age and injury history. Nobody is expecting him to carry the sport into the 2020s.

I don't know how to get this question out without it sounding racist as it deals with race, but is the Tiger Effect due to Tiger's race(s)? Or at this point in Tiger's career is it about the records?

Early on I could see pretty clearly that it was (maybe mostly) due to how Tiger played and how he won. Now he is not driving it past many or hitting 2 iron stingers or lapping the field. What's moving the needle now?

What are we replacing exactly?

I disagree, I think that the Tour and broadcasters will continue to flog Tiger for as long as they possible can. The more he is front and centre, the more eyeballs are on the sport and the happier the sponsors and advertisers will be. Take him out of the equation and those parties will be looking for something else to get the “value” out of their investment.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

casual golf fans, those who move the ratings. are still much more interested in watching golf when TW is in the mix or even just playing at all.

Put it this way, for most of us on the forum, we will watch when TW is not on.

But for the millions of more casual fan to whom golf is between “ehhh” and flat out boring, they will only tune in if TW is on.

Thats just how it is.

Yeah but why? What is the draw? I get "It's Tiger" but Tiger 2020 isn't Tiger 1999-2000. Really young golf fans weren't even born when he was truly dominant and one's much older were probably wearing superhero underpants at that time.

Insert Tiger into a tournament today and I don't see what makes it go from flat out boring to must tune in tv. When he is T16 how or why does that move the needle?

I like watching the featured groups coverage the most. So long as there are good groups, and I like a lot of golfers, then I will tune it to watch on the app. But I find it super annoying that there isn't a featured groups pm on the weekends. I haven't figured out how to watch the end of the tournaments, lol. I don't have cable so I can't watch the regular coverage on tv.

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

It'd be much easier to watch if I didn't have to hear Jim Nantz anymore. I can't stand him. Always trying to create a "story line" instead of just talking golf. Always has to get a final round quote in for the highlight reels.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

They'll be a reckoning coming for all spectator sports - spectator sports without spectators.

Professional sports has been gone for decades. It's simply a business, an industry, now. Sports is what you have as a kid, in school, but after high school, it's just an entertainment business. College sports is a business.

Maybe we'll discover that sports doesn't really bring a society together for fun like it did a generation of two ago. It's no longer something to take our minds off the real world because the real world will still be affecting the event.

Golf is no different than other athletic entertainment now. The suits owning the media and the monopoly franchises make bushel baskets of money, the players milk it, the fans get nothing but manipulated into cheering from a team or person who doesn't know you exist. It's like cheering for random lottery winners. What's it got to do with you?

Millions of dollars to hit a ball with a stick, bounce a basketball and run up and down a field. GPD drops 33%, but sports salaries are through the roof.

Buy your tickets, order your 15$ hot dog and beer, wait in lines forever, buy hats, shirts, blankets, keychains, mugs, glasses and other trinkets, put stickers on your car and watch beer commercials all day long. What's the event got to do with you? Nothing. You're just an ATM machine for the media and owners.

Since you won't be going to stadiums or courses, they'll figure a way to get you to pay extra to watch it on TV, in addition to all of the commercials. Something like minimal coverage (one camera on a crane with Jim Nantz crooning into the mic), but extra $X for premium coverage which generally includes women and lots of chattering and meaningless statistics.

Why? Because you'll do it. Because maybe this time, one of the players will send you some of the money he made in the mail as gratitude to you for being a "fan."

(I know you're going to flame me. I'm just acting like the media and creating controversy... because you like that. It will be interesting to read people defending their lemmingness. I think I just made a new word?)

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.