90s Blades Recommendation?

Guest toemilywhosslice

Hi I'm new here.

I'm the worlds worst golfer.

But I'm thinking about trying a set of blades. I didn't even know there was such a thing I thought everything was an iron. Anyway I use Ping Eye 2s now and I'd like to stick to the era of the late 80s early 90s.

Through my research I've seen Hogan Apex 98 or 99 being recommended. What are your thoughts on something like that?

Welcome! If you aren’t a strong iron player why switch to blades? Ping eye 2’s are great clubs. Don’t be intimidated as many cannot and should not play blades. If you want to try a non perimeter weighted iron I’d suggest a Couple popular sets such as MacGregor muirfields. Also another option are Cleveland tour action 588’s. I picked up a set of these recently and really like them.

That makes sense.

I'm a terrible iron player maybe I should stick to the Ping Eyes then.

Part of my initial thought of looking for some blades was I'm enjoying the old Pings so much. So why not look to something even older in design?

That's awesome that you play eye 2s.

I golfed with an older friend a few weeks ago and was telling him how I'm getting deeper and deeper into the hobby. He said something like the Ping Eye 2s were like the Ferrari of golf club in the 80s and recommended I stick with them until I learned a bit more.

The Eye2 are effectively the godfather of the modern CB, along with perhaps the Tommy Armour 845s. If you can avoid the club number trap, they're quite viable today.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Echoing the chamber here. The '99 Hogan Apex are suburb. As I've described them prior, they're MB irons for golfers that think they can't play MB irons. Easy to launch (lowish for a MB VCOG), great forged feel, not as demanding as other MB's I've attempted to play. Only advisement would be to get suitable shafts for your game installed or DIY. Although Apex shafts were uniquely different than the norm, these irons typically came with Apex 4 (stiff) shafts. That may or may not work for you. My set of '99's became much more playable for my game when I installed Nippon 950's (R flex). So smooth and easy to swing. More in tune to my old guy golf swing. May require some experimentation to discover what works if you go this route. Get the ball up and away, figure out the rest latter.

Don't get rid of the Eye 2's though. Iconic irons. You'e going to need a backup set of easier to play irons on those days. While not E2's, have a set of Ping BeNi ISI's that I just completed a reshaft on. Actually prefer the ISI's over E2's. The Z-Z65 stiffs in them prior were a bridge to far for my swing and game. Something more modest in flex, softer tip was needed. My new to me classic set of backup CB irons. If for no other reason than the wonky shape is uniquely different. NTM, seem to hit them surprising well.

If you want to try blades, by all means go for it. Regardless of your current golfing capabilities. Keep your expectations modest, learn as you go. Be a playa.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

If you struggle with eye 2’s you’ll struggle more With blades. You can get older ping irons (karsten series 1-4 or eyes) but l might suggest some Moderately newer Zing 2’s, isi’k’s (larger head than the isi’s) ...or maybe the g series irons. Ping makes great game improvement irons that should help improve your iron play. The larger perimeter weighted heads will help you with off center hits. Also it won’t cost a ton for some of these older models. I can guarantee that you’ll hit the ball better more consistently With these options vs with a set of blades. You’ll be very happy that you made the move.

Hello - that's a helluva introduction, there. Good way to get attention from a number of people opposing your blade plan. Most of which are people that wouldn't dare play blades out of fear they would stink, notwithstanding they think their choices in life should be everyone's, to which I say baloney, but that's a separate subject.

If you have tenacity, commitment oriented, and physically strong and capable of learning the game using blades, I say go for it. When I took up the game at 40, I unknowingly bought a set of Ping CBs off the shelve. Played and practiced with them for about 8 months before switching to Mizuno blades. I reached 8 index in under five years too, so it can be done if the desire is there. I am 70yrs old, often play big kids tees, trending down to 3 and currently playing 620 blades. Dang, I love golf. I hope you do as well.

Ping Eye 2 were introduced in "82" with "V" grooves and later non-conforming "U" grooves. NOT allowed in tournament play. Eventually they were approved for play by USGA & R&A. Look it up on the Ping site https://ping.com/en-us/legal/groove-rule. IMO they were NOT the Ferrari of clubs, more like Chevrolet, Buick or Toyota. Ferrari or Porsche years back like today were blades by Mizuno MP14, MP29, MacGregor blades and Wilson Staff.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Your installing Nippon 950's into the 99's caught my attention. I have a set of mint 99's with Apex 3 collecting dust and have been tempted to change them to the 950's. I am wondering (if you have indeed weighed them) what the swing weight is with the 950's? Guess I'm concerned they would come out to C-7 or something.

The 7 iron SW is D0, PW at D3. As measured on my cheapo Golfsmith scale. Playing lengths: PW @ 36.5", 7 iron @ 37.5". But some caveats. Play irons 1" longer than norm which is going to influence SW. Also, was fooling around with a "poor man's" MOI build using 3/8" progressions. Lastly, the E wedge has a 950 stiff installed, 4 grams heavier than R. These were pulls out of another set acquired inexpensively, extensions were installed to adjust lengths. On a future regrip, likely will adjust lengths back to .5" progressions and constant SW. Typically don't have an issue with adding lead tape to a head as needed. But with the 99's, prefer to keep the aesthetic clean.

OG Apex 3's reportedly weigh in at 107 grams. Soft tip by design. Not that dissimilar to Nippon 950's at 94 grams. Only you can determine if 13 grams is meaningful. Whether the playing characteristics would be different moving to 950's. Can't offer a before and after comparison. My Apex's originally came with Rifle FCM 6.0's, way to much shaft for me. Was a no brainer to install the 950's as they were of a preferential weight, flex and already on hand. Sort of stumbled into how well they play in these irons by accident. Setting aside the demands inherent with whacking blades.

• Thanks 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

W/S fluid feel tour blades, if you want old testament punishment and stinging hands

99's if you want a more new testament, "believe in the irons and be forgiven" type deal. I happen to have both.

Hogan '88 blades are prettier than the '99's but do not appreciate impacting a golf ball.

But there are other options as well: Titleist tour models, Maxfli Aussie Blades, MacGregor VIP/Muirfield/etc.

If you want the most forgiving blade-ish club ever made though, you want the Hogan Radial.

The KZG blades are some of the best ever produced. Can be bought cheap in most cases. Quite a bit more offset than most blades

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Thanks for all the comments/ideas.

I especially like the recommendations for sticking with the Eye 2s as to it's the cheapest solution.

Maybe I will move my blades purchase urge to watching and saving listings on eBay for the time being, hang around here, and educate myself a little more.

Good thing about classic pings are that the price points are very reasonable. You can buy a little newer set of zing 2’s or isi’s, use for a few years and resell them for Likely what you paid for them. Eye 2’s are great irons though. Maybe invest in a few lessons to help with your iron play.

The nice thing about playing in the used club market is that if you are patient, you’ll find a deal. I picked up my Mizuno MP14s at a thrift for 2.00 each. I’ve also found bargains on Craigslist and similar. Truthfully, you may hate blades, they can be unforgiving but not everyone is in for the same reasons. I’m well past my prime and now just enjoy trying things out to see if I can do it and I do get some satisfaction from occasionally hitting the MP14s pure.

in the end, with some patience, you’ll find a bargain and you can see for yourself.

In all fairness my typing didn’t convey the Ferrari comment right in the first place.

I didn’t call them the Ferrari of clubs. It was my buddy who referred to the Ping Eye 2 as the Ferrari of clubs back in the 80s as opposed to the mizunos he still has from the 80s. Which I believe he referred to them as the Oldsmobile in comparison.

Maybe he was trying to convince me in a kind way not to waste the money when I was asking about should I update my clubs after he saw how bad I was.

At this point any second set up irons isn’t to make my play any better it’s just to collect for the sake of getting more and more into the hobby.

I have found late night eBay searches while watching old clips of Shells Wonderful World of golf becoming to more and more common

• 3 weeks later...

Don't wait. Just go out and buy those blades and start playing them - iron sets from that era are dirt cheap and you have nothing to lose, really. Have fun doing it - that is entirely the point of this whole endeavor for every one of us that isn't paying rent by hitting golf clubs.

The Apex's are great if that's what you like. There's a multitude of others, Rams, Mizunos, Titleists, etc... that will all fit the bill, too. Pretty much just a matter of preference.

If you're curious, go out to the range and alternate 5 ball sets with a 7 or 8 iron from both your Eye2s as well as your (soon to be) new-to-you blades. Hit maybe 20-30 total shots with each club. Look at the landing pattern. You decide if the blades are unplayable from there.

• Like 1

Playing blades will improve your ball striking in the same way that playing a persimmon rather than a 460cc driver will.

You have to concentrate on making a good swing and finding the sweet spot whereas cavity backs and 460cc drivers allow you to make a lazy swing and get away with it.

Play blades. ?

• Like 2

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

To the OP, you may want to look at 1999 (perhaps they were 2000) Hogan Apex Plus irons. These are a slight cavity back model of the 1999 Apex blades. Pretty easy to hit if you ask me and provide great feedback. You know when you hit one center and when you do not.  I just re-shafted mine from the original Apex 4 (stiif) to TT Black Gold shafts in R-Flex. My swing has 99 problems (no pun intended), but the new shafts have given me a better ball flight and gained back 10-15 yards.

Anyway, I don't play in tournaments so no need for groove rule clubs. I thoroughly enjoy these Apex Plus's and I have them all in a Hogan staff bag with CS3 driver, C455 3W and a BHB5-SS putter.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.