TS3 vs SIM vs Mavrik

JB_007

Recently damaged the face of my 917 driver and am looking for a new driver. I went and hit all three and was fit for each of them individually. Each of the three performed well and being a leader in one category or another ( SIM total distance, TS3 accuracy) but all were very close to one another.

Was curious, now that they have been out for awhile, wanted to hear people opinions of each? If you picked one over the other, now that you have played it, are you happy with your choice? Given my decision is really down to preference, I'm leaning more to the TS3, but very intrigued by the other two. I'm looking for a driver for the next 3-4 years, so I'm not swayed by the release dates of TM / Callaway and need something sooner rather than later ( a few trips planned).

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9° | Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5*  | Ventus Black 7X

Titleist TSR2 18*  | AV Raw Blue 8TX

Titleist  '23 T200 (4) T100 5-9  | PX Rifle 6.5
Titleist  SM9 46 / 50 / 54 / 58  | PX Rifle 6.0

**Putter Unknown**

I had an 8.5 degree TS3 driver which I sold a couple of months ago. I was happy with the driver but felt I hit it a little too low. Looking for a change, I sold it and went into a Mavrik Standard at 9 degrees, with the Rogue white shaft 70x. Love the feel and sound of the Marvik and it definitely got my ballflight up, however I do feel like I have lost 15 yards of so over the Titleist.

Jury is still out for me, I'd be happy to give up a little distance for some more accuracy (maybe not quite 15-20 yards though). In saying that, I'd go with whatever you feel most confident over that you can hit straight.

It’s a toss up for me between the Maverik and the TS3. At the same setting of 9 degrees the Maverik had less spin by 300 RPM, but the Titleist launched slightly higher for me. I hit the Titleist with the Tensei blue and the Callaway with the Rogue 130msi. That may account for the higher launch and spin with the Titleist, so it really depends what would work for you. Had I dropped the loft to 8° On the Titleist, then I would have been getting optimum numbers for me. I liked both shafts, so it’s a toss up. Either way, you end up with a great driver.

the Sim is hard to turn over (draw) it’s the most fade based driver I’ve ever hit. I play a slight draw, and do not attempt to fade the ball that often. With the SIM, I could only hit fades. They were easy to hit, but a fade just doesn’t fit my eye and my set up feels weird so I had dispersion problems with it.

My experience anyways!

It was SIM for me. TS2 was maybe the closest second and felt really nice, but didn't perform quite as well. Mavrik I did not like, both regular and sub zero. I only could stand to hit maybe 5 shots combined before I took them off the list. SIM has just been so dang good.

Sim for me has been GREAT! My miss is high toe with a slightly closed face. Twist face for me has definitely helped. It’s made my bad shot with other clubs much more playable. As I bonus I hit it a little further too.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

SIM for me too. I’ll just add in terms of look/sound/feel, wasn’t even close in these categories. SIM is awesome lol. Came from Epic Flash SZ which sounded like hot garbage though.

TaylorMade SIM 10.5* - HZRDUS "Hulk" PVD Green 70 6.0

TaylorMade SIM Max 15* - GD AD-DI 7x

Callaway Mavrik Pro 20* Hybrid - GD AD-DI 85x

TaylorMade P770 4-5 - Project X 6.0

TaylorMade P7MC 6-PW - Project X 6.0

Mizuno T20 50*, 55*, 60* - TI S400

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Pro V1x

TS3 for me. Dispersion was the best and almost just as long as the longest driver. Plus I love the look of it. Easy choice for me.

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

I had a fitting and the SIM was the stand out performer, in distance and accuracy was superb. I’d pick what gives you the most confidence and what gives you the most satisfaction hitting. I love a pured shot with the SIM and that matters to me

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Mavrik was worlds better than Sim in my initial testing but I really don’t like drivers that are hard to turn over and the Sim is certainly that. When I feel resistance from the club in that way I tend to leave it right or overcompensate and hook it. Mavrik was a tight 10 yard draw on every shot without having to try to move it.

• Like 1

I've been a TM-woods guy for years now. I just assumed at my recent fitting that I'd be buying a SIM, and that it was just a matter of finding the right shaft for it. I hit the Mavrik SZ first, and everything looked and felt wrong with the SIM when I got to hitting it. I was surprised, but I just couldn't hit it well. And the couple I did hit ok didn't feel like I hit them ok. Went back to the Mav SZ, thinking I was just getting tired, and crushed it again. The Mavrik SZ was a clear winner.

• Like 1

Really you don't need to ask others for their opinion because they're all great clubs. None of them are dogs. Consequently you'll find plenty of people gaming each with positive things to say.

We're in an era today where it's not about what driver head you use. It's about optimizing that club for your swing by fine-tuning loft, length, shaft type, etc.

For instance, some of the longest and most impressive drivers I've played with recently were gaming Srixon & Cobra heads and you didn't even mention that, LOL!

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Most all major OEM drivers are solid, just depends on what fits your eye. Some are more forgiving than others, unless you're a solid ball striker, I'd be looking at forgiveness, as distance is pretty much maxed out based on COR rules.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

I went from 915D3 to a fitted TS3, I was losing distance with the TS3 from the 915, I had a one night stand with a SIM which proved to be too erratic. I am currently in a Speedzone Extreme. I think the 917 is a better head than the SIM and the TS3.

Titleist Tsr2 9*

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 16*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

I've been with the TS3 since it came out. I hit everything available and nothing has beaten it. There are a few out there that are a bit longer on average. But I know with my TS3 if I make a good pass at it it's going down the middle. I also find it easy to hit draws/fades when needed. Really liked the SIM but like was mentioned earlier it sits so flat that it's hard to get it to draw unless you absolutely force it and with it being low spin there's a fine line between nice baby draw and diving knuckleball. The sound is great though.

Callaway Paradym 12* (-1Std) Autoflex SF505X

Callaway Paradym Heavenwood

Ping G425M 20.5* Tensei Raw Org 75S

Ping G425 22* ADIZ85S

Ping G425 26* ADIZ85S

T100S 6-7 (1* weak) Aerotech FC115

T100 8-PW  Aerotech FC115

Titleist T100 50*  Aerotech FC115

Vokey SM8 54.12D/58.8M Aerotech FC115
SC Champ Choice Newport 2 Stability Shaft Tour

I did a driver fitting a month ago, and tried all 3 as well. After we figured out the best shaft for me, I started to hit the Mavrik first. It didn't suite me as i thought as it would. Next was the TS3 which felt nice and was in control. The Sim was last and a very nice driver. I was able to hit ithe SIM the farthest, but my dispersion was all over the place. Compared to the TS3 which i was maybe 5-10 yds shorter than the SIM and Maverick, but out of the three the best dispersion and felt right to me. I am able to let loose and rip it with the TS3 and know eactly where my ball will go. Even though its not the farthest its been finding fairways. I like to think i can increase swing speed but i can't accuracy.

As a fitter and as a player I have two views on these clubs which I'll explain.
Firstly as a fitter, I adore the SIM and the Maverik for varying reasons. Taylormade really did a great job with the SIM and Max especially for the mid speed "fairway finder" with a sleek design that customers fawn over. The options to go adjust with standard SIM or just got with the Max or Max-D for simplicity's sake was a smart choice. Callaway once again for the 4th year in a row has created a driver that will make some of the most devoted brand loyalists look into their buddies bag on the range and go "Could I hit that?". Callaway expertly knew which demographic was interested (Mid to low handicappers willing to swallow pride for a few extra yards) by going to the darkside and having a mixed bag. Callaway realizing people either struggle with 1 or more of the 4 horse men of golf, "Banana slice", "Worm burner", spin rates off the tee that'd make "Phil blush around the greens", and the "I just hit it straight not far" was enough for Callaway to capitalize. Each model helps one or more, but lacked some of the adjustability I loved with the Flash because of the swing weight. Tittielst, Tittielst, Tittielst how far the mighty have fallen but the TS3 is pulling people back, but only those who left after the worst disappointment since my birth... The 917. As the youngins would say, they "fumbled the bag" and have been living with consequences. Like a an ex who constantly makes you think "what if" but better judgment kicking in before you entertain the idea too seriously. Tittielst is still in its own shadow and is even starting to lose its stranglehold on the wedge market.

As a player personally testing these clubs my opinions are wholey my own and should taken as my feelings and thoughts when I HIT THE CLUBS MYSELF. Taylormade, the SIM feels like a brick attached to a telephone poll. I understand the speed foam hasn't had all the kinks ironed out but the "Notch of Nike vapor" notch is the only thing I think about when looking at it on the shelf. I understand I'm not the target audience because of what I'm looking for in a driver "Low launch, lower sweet spot, low spinning" so I don't have to call airtraffic control before every tee shot and worry about 5k rpms of backspin leading to my drive spinning backwards in the fairway. [If you want proof I'll be happy to give I witness testimony]. But my l.o.f.t. Issues (Lack of f*$%ING! talent) is my burden to bare. The Maverik color scheme is ugly, like that middle school teacher who sometimes dresses with style and then other days wears two different colors of shoes. For the life of me I don't understand why they'd back track on the movable heel weight which is why I loved the flash subzero for the broad range of utility. The face issues relating to consistency in the jailbreak across the face was needed and it's noticeable. Noticeable to mid-low handicappers who struggle with spin and distance, meaning we don't get the freak 310 off the toe dead left into your neighbors house, or the straight shot to Mars that'd have Elon musk asking for advice. This being said you can buy a better Maverik with better performance, adjustability and better color scheme (in my opinion) and for cheaper. No, you don't have to sign a deal with the devil or play a non usga conforming driver.... Cobra has came onto the scene and for all its previous years of just being the "Rickie Fowler" brand it's a driver that is putting 500 dollars drivers to shame. Cobra is making waves, not just by flashy color schemes (which they have in spades) but by beating brands in price, looks, and performance. Just as Wilson did with the D7 iron, the Speedzone is a knockout punch no one expected. Now, full disclosure the tittielst 915 d3 with a diamana white board is my favorite driver of all time. When I was playing in high school practicing every day and playing in tournaments. Some mental and physical health issues later, growing to be 6'1 gaining up to 255lbs and shrinking down to 170 over 2 years the driver wasn't working. Actually it'd be more accurate to say taking off 3 to 4 months without touching a club isn't quite as easy as remembering how to ride a bike. I swing about as fast if not faster but my toxic habits of extremely premature hand release or "flipping" causes me to launch a ball into low orbit and hardly go forward. My l.o.f.t problem as previously mentioned. Now that I'm playing and fitting along with occasionally teaching myself (consistently working a grip change to force me back into proper positioning) has seen my distance come back and spin and launch lower. Now the one person reading this novel of a comment might be wondering "Why does that matter", well it matters because of this fact. I used to be a fantastic ball striker, still am but dynamic loft and I are well acquainted, this is to say I now no longer need or can afford to game a tittielst driver. They ruined a lot of good faith, now Acushnet still has plenty of people addicted to scotty's and vokey wedges which I adore. However, the 917 showed players that all the other brands have similar if not better drivers and irons. It forced players out of brand loyalty and I think they deserve a thank you card from every brand for making the playing field even by tittielst crapping the bed. The TS3 and the TS series is leaps and bounds better than the 917, but I sense tittielst is going through an identity crisis. Not like a middle aged man buying a fast car, but more along the lines of a teenage girl claiming she's "different" but looks, dresses, and acts like every other girl that claims she's "different". Tittielst, the only way to recover is to go back to the roots and not cater to the majority of golfers who desperately need forgiveness and enough models to make customers go "What's the difference" requiring fitters to bluster about trampoline effect, MIO, and physics like they had a PhD. D2, D3 that's all you gotta do. You have to commit to being the club that's hard to hit, sees amazing shots when struck perfectly, but soul crushingly punishing when missed because the aura of "He's playing a D3, can he actually play it" or the "I wish I was consistent enough to play it" is all the advertising you needed for a majority of the early 2000's. In short the TS3 is a good driver for any other brand, but woefully underwhelming because of the past products.

All great info above. I will leave my experience since I trialed all three just like you.

Maverick - From the first hit, I just did not like the sound/feel. I tried all versions thinking the hype should trump my feelings/thoughts, but that was not the case. For some reason it spun up a bit for me and I couldn't control it well.
Sim - Fadeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee biased. Regular sim was okay when weight was moved, but didn't have consistency, long but all over the place. Max, spun way too much for me. Sim max D was oddly a great club when I set it up which was 9 deg, turned down one click. But, still not 100% on twist face. For me it exaggerates my miss, most people it helps their miss.
TS3 - Biased, yes, because it has been my gamer since it launched. This head is really tough to beat when it is "unlocked." Put the right shaft in and the club has gains like I have never seen before. In other words, get fit for this club. The surefit adapter is the best in the business. It perfectly and independently changes the loft and lie, something no other manufacturer can do. And, dare I say, its a low spinning and accurate club, two things that don't normally go hand-in-hand. I play it in a 8.5 head.

Although, if I were you, I would wait for the new Titleist woods coming out in Oct/Nov. Supposedly they threw the kitchen sink at this iteration. Not sure if that is good or bad, but curious to find out. If you can wait, when those launch, you can snag the TS3 at a killer price.