New Scotty Cameron Select Putter Choice?

13»

Comments

• cloudlxcloudlx Members  1031WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,031
    fastback for me, looks like my Ping Piper
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • br61br61 3x Hackin' Hall of Shame SW MissouriMembers  2748WRX Points: 203Handicap: +1.3Posts: 2,748 Titanium Tees
    Got both of my ordered putters in, a friend who's on college golf team loved that Squareback putter so i let him buy it and I kept the centershafted 2.6. The feel is very nice but I liked the Squareback better so I'm ordering another one for myself.

I putted with Squareback on the putting clock, it really lines up very well in my opinion. After using long putter on and off for most of 21st century, so I played today with my 2.6 and putted really well today.
    Posted:
    My bag of hacking utensils;

Epic Flash 9* Speeder Evo V 661 stiff
    Epic Tour Issue (bonded) 15* Speeder Evo II 765 stiff
    Epic Flash 5 wood Tensei Blue 75 stiff
    Apex '19 20 & 23 with KBS HBY Proto 85 stiff
    Callaway '19 Smoke Apex Pro 5-PW Black $-Taper 120
    TM MG Bronze 52, 56 & 60 Modus wedge 115
    Odyssey Arm Lock Big Seven 43" & 3* upright

Old GHIN HC +0.8
    New WHC +1.3

• Mizuno 1970Mizuno 1970 Members  10WRX Points: 0Posts: 10
    Picked up a Squreback yesterday & played it today. I loved the way it set-up & it had really great feel. The long sightline made it really easy to line up. image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
    Posted:
  • bruindukebruinduke Charter Members  867WRX Points: 99Posts: 867 Golden Tee
    Did anyone think that the Squareback appears to be slightly wider in the back and taper slightly towards to the face. I tried it at my local shop, and maybe it's how the neck sits or the prominent bumpers in the back, but to my eye it seems to be slightly wider in the back.
    Posted:
  • Ridgecrest18Ridgecrest18 Members  619WRX Points: 123Posts: 619 Golden Tee
    Just put the 2.7 into play........ JMO, but I think Cameron finally got it right. Using the NP2 head as the platform for this putter, rather than the NP that platformed the Catalina series, was a wise choice.
    Posted:
  • SccrMan13SccrMan13 Members  45WRX Points: 0Posts: 45
    2.7 will probably be my first Scotty. Coming from a Wilson Classic 8802 I like a clean looking club but want to try something different. I would love a Napa Valley but those are a bit pricey for the ones that I have seen. I'm thinking that the 2.7 might make it in my bag hopefully for a little play this year.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • HungsoloHungsolo ClubWRX  553WRX Points: 60Posts: 553 Golden Tee
    I'll wait until spring for the plumber's neck in a squareback or fastback. Probably a fastback.
    Posted:
  • ripsidripsid Members  720WRX Points: 55Posts: 720 Bunkers
    I was geeked up for the squareback and putted with it at Golfsmith today and it was nice, but the fastback was way better for me. I'm hoping to be able to sell one of mykids or something to get on image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' /> Loved it big time! I'm all settled in with my Odyssey but after hitting the fastback I'm torn ...

Pete
    Posted:
  • eRod v1.0eRod v1.0 "In Rod We Trust" Members  1157WRX Points: 139Posts: 1,157 Platinum Tees
    Changed my mind. 2.7 for me image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' />
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° - PX HZRDUS Yellow 75
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° - PX HZRDUS Smoke 70 -or-
    Ping G410 2H (15.5°) - PX EvenFlow Black 85
    Ping G410 3H (20°) - PX EvenFlow Black 85
    Callaway Apex CF19 5-AW - TT Elevate Tour
    Custom Callaway MD4 54° - KBS HI REV 2.0
    Custom Callaway PM Grind 19 58° - KBS HI REV 2.0
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12
  • EzgolferEzgolfer Members  3176WRX Points: 146Posts: 3,176 Titanium Tees
    Bought squareback . Returned it after 2 days and bought a buttonback newport .

I am a happy man . This one is going to stay in bag .
    Posted:
  • xdhammerbxxdhammerbx Sir Shanx Alot Members  664WRX Points: 0Posts: 664
    2.6 so i can feel like i own a proto image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' />
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • albalb Members  423WRX Points: 55Posts: 423 Bunkers
    I have a NP2 BB, but I'm thinking of picking up a squareback. Real easy to putt with.
    Posted:
  • fireicefireice Members  416WRX Points: 60Posts: 416 Greens
    Squareback for sure but I'd have to try all 4 first.
    Posted:
  • gorillagolfgorillagolf Members  83WRX Points: 0Posts: 83
    I like the squareback but the ball was jumping off the face when I tried it. Does anyone know what the weight of the squareback is?

Lastly, check out the new Yes "Donna" putter. Am I seeing double & has anyone tried the "Donna" from Yes putters yet?
    Posted:
  • sharkharksharkhark Members  1691WRX Points: 129Posts: 1,691 Platinum Tees
    gorillagolf wrote on Oct 3 2008, 09:52 PM:
    I like the squareback but the ball was jumping off the face when I tried it. Does anyone know what the weight of the squareback is?

Lastly, check out the new Yes "Donna" putter. Am I seeing double & has anyone tried the "Donna" from Yes putters yet?

yes and yes to the yes...uh...yes

I was at my local superstore and almost missed that they had put a squareback out with other new putters. I was very excited as i love the pics of it. I did not like it. I was suprised. It jumped i.e. was a bit hot off the face. It also had a odd feel on center maybe due to the face balance. I was shocked i did not love it. I grabbed an old circa #3 and it felt firm but consistent, tried the other new newports and they too felt nice, the squareback no go.

Re the yes? Donna? I just heard about it a mth or so ago and thought wow, why wait for scotty, such a similar look, darker color than silver which was pref for me as i am not a silver fan, supposedly heavier head, yes technology.

My test? It had a 'springy rebound' feel off the face. It is hard to explain but there was a judgement required to allow for an initial jump towards the target, then it would roll out normal. I grabbed a standard yes model putter like the abbie and found no such jump feel, just normal quick spin of ball towards the target. The donna looked like a champ but when i want to putt 5 feet, i have a certain back and forward stroke that is smooth, the donna had me 'jabbing' at the putt as i knew it would jump on me.

I guess that the lightweight front face of putter is aluminum with some other heavier metal in back, that has the reason to the two part feel.

I will say though, that i found the yes hard to control for touch but for getting the ball consistently in a tight circle around the hole...it excelled...its just that i prefer a one putt over lagging..hope this helps.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.