Junior Golf Academies

big_joe ·  
big_joebig_joe Members  180WRX Points: 0Posts: 180
Hi Guys, I haven't been around in a loong while but I really need your opinion. I am currently a senior in High School and playing for a school in the neighboring district and the team absolutely sucks. I am their number one man and my handicap is only a 6. So I was thinking about attending a golf boarding academy my last semester of high school. Hopefully this could bring my game up to a college level since I have never had any instruction what-so-ever.

What do you guys think about some of the academies in Florida and do you think I would benefit from one of them.

Or do you think I should try to get hooked up with a swing coach and play in smaller junior tours? (Jimmy Ballard only lives about 15 miles away from me)
Posted:

Comments

• big_joebig_joe Members  180WRX Points: 0Posts: 180
    Has anyone ever been to a golf academy like Hank Haneys or the Leadbetter Institute?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • prov1derrickprov1derrick Members  35WRX Points: 0Posts: 35
    big_joe wrote on Sep 1 2008, 01:31 PM:
    Has anyone ever been to a golf academy like Hank Haneys or the Leadbetter Institute?

I am very impressed with haneys.

their new practice facilites and their 16 instructors plus haney seeing your swing once a month is pretty cool.

my son will be there next semester. hes 6 years younger than you but is a 3 handicap.
    Posted:
    Thats cool...is he going to be a resident or only go during the day?

Also if anyone has any other expeirence please post it up here. I am really considering attending one of these schools.
    Posted:
    boarding with school.

everyone seemed so happy @ heritage academy.

i was really impressed with everything i saw over 3 days.
    Posted:
    Thats awesome, I am sure he is excited.

Do you have any anxiety sending him away,since he is so young?

And if anyone has anything else to input please do!!!
    Posted:
    Yes, but they do have a dozen or so boys & girls his age.

1.They also have alot of supervision

2. my wife will be visiting frequently

3. he will have a cell and internet access thruout the day.

our golfing season where we live is only 6 months so the chance to play everyday

with alot of hands on instructors is very appealing.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • LionLinks16LionLinks16 Members  325WRX Points: 65Posts: 325 Greens
    i went to there summer camp for a week and commuted because my parents didnt trust the house parents havin it be my first time attending the camp. however, my parents said they would let me stay at brittany housing if i wanted to. and so the house parents are really responsible, and the golf is amazin. the instructors are really nice, and will push you to get you to your potential. they are also really friendly. i talked to a girl who had already gone there, and she loved it. being its your last semesterof high school you could give it a shot. you may not get alot out of it, but assumin your parents will let you, and you really want to take this seriously, try out their PGM program. i heard thats also really good. theres a show on golf channel tonight SCHOOL OF GOLF HILTON HEAD ISLAND and it shows the life of like ten kids who go to school there
    Posted:
    Yeah I am going to watch the show tonight. I don't know about the PGM program though, isn't that post-secondary school? Like a techinical degree? (no offense to anyone I truly have no clue what is associated with it). If so I am either going into engineering or business. I really do not have any plans of making professional golf a career I would just like to play in college and I know my game is not at that level.

BTW Jimmy Ballard called me back today and we are trying to work some things out..

FYI I believe Jimmy is one of Rocco Mediate's coaches.
    Posted:
  • lhsgolfer2lhsgolfer2 Members  403WRX Points: 0Posts: 403
    PGM programs allow you to get your PGA Membership while attaining a degree. Here at Methodist University you can major in Business Admin, Marketing, Accounting, or Financial Economics while getting your membership. It is a common misconception that PGM is a major.

MIke
    Posted:
  • CubCub Members  263WRX Points: 0Posts: 263
    He meant the post grad program which is a one year program after high school.
    Posted:
  • LionLinks16LionLinks16 Members  325WRX Points: 65Posts: 325 Greens
    yes, sorry. to clarify, i meant the post grad program, which if im not mistaken allows you to go to school for one more year while still developin there game
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Oh I see, so what do you guys think about Jimmy Ballard...he was rated in the top 40 instructor in America?
    Posted:
  • epixepepixep If the wind will not serve, take to the oars Members  1425WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,425
    I currently attend the Champions Golf Academy - and I could not wish for more, it is perfect.

PM me if you really are interested, there are some amazing details I just don't want to type out. I gave a really long explanation of the CGA in another post of mine, if you enter my profile you can look at all my posts.

The IJGA is not somewhere any junior wanting to improve should go. Ever.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.