Greens In Regulation

doofy ·  
doofydoofy Members  16WRX Points: 0Posts: 16
Help me out!
I know how putting, pitching and chipping are very important but the quickest way for me to

lower my score would be more GIR's!

I usually hit less than 4 greens, I play to a 13 by getting up and down to save bogeys and pars. I could have 6 pars and one birdie between the few greens I hit and shoot 81-85! I just hit some stupid shots say like my second on a short par 4 a little wedge just kinda sky it!...or third on a par 5 like a skulled wedge!! I could sort them out easily. I snap hook my drives in the rough and trees all day meaning at the moment I can't even reach some greens in regulation. I also have bad course management and a temper and Im under pressure to lower my scores. I play better when I don't track my score as well.

Could any of you help me hit more greens with some simple tips or course management. I aim for the center unless I'm inside 100 yards but my swing changes aren't working consistently!
Posted:

Comments

• Taylormadematt Taylormadematt Members  790WRX Points: 0Posts: 790
    Try and play more conservatly, for example, the course i play is a par 72 and i use my Driver maybe 50% of the time.

If there is a par 4 approx under 400yrds take a fairwaywood off the tee, there alot more forgiving and normally more accurate, So if you hit a 3 wood 250yrds, you will be left with no more than an 8 iron (depending on conditions).

Holes with a dogleg, take a club where you will just get past the dogleg, DON'T try and get over it, play to the corner.

As for practice, my biggest problem was my driver since my HUGE swing change, so i went to the range and warmed up untill i got to the driver, then i proceeded to work a way untill i understood what was happening, i learnt a great deal and for now i have no more problems.

Also dont be to hard on yourself, dont expect to much to soon.

Swing changes are very hard to get right all the time, i should know. My H/C is now 8 and i have dropped 5 shots since changing my swing around 4 mnths ago, but believe me when i say it dont happen over night i shot some horrible scores but i knew my game was there, and now it's finally coming together.

Good Luck.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • drew123drew123 Members  1618WRX Points: 107Posts: 1,618 Platinum Tees
    First off don't beat yourself up. once you do that you have already lost the battle.

Hard to tell without having seen you play but maybe (I'm just throwing things out there for you to think about) it is the way you practice. Do you hit it severely different on the range versus on the course. maybe think about your thought process before you hit a shot and after you hit a shot.

don't be too hard on yourself just work hard and the results will come.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M3 440
    Taylormade M3 15
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2
    Mizuno MP18
    Vokey SM7
    Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2
  • 300_yard_drives300_yard_drives Jr. Boomers  1258WRX Points: 163Posts: 1,258 Platinum Tees
    Aim at the middle of the greens. Simple as that. proximity to the hole is a lot more important than GIR, but if you are worried about GIR then aim at the dead center of the greens. Forget about the pins
    Posted:
  • beachgrovejuniorbeachgrovejunior Members  1456WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,456
    you basically answered yourself in the second paragraph, work on your course management first of all you will hit more greens.

My caps a 5 and i average 6 greens a round, i know for me its a swing fault, and thats what this winter is going to be all about, im sick of 8 fairway 6 green 23 putt rounds
    Posted:
  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Southern Ontario, CanadaUnregistered  2130WRX Points: 392Handicap: 6.5Posts: 2,130 Platinum Tees
    doofy wrote on Sep 1 2008, 02:56 PM:
    I know how putting, pitching and chipping are very important but the quickest way for me to

lower my score would be more GIR's!

I usually hit less than 4 greens, I play to a 13 by getting up and down to save bogeys and pars. I could have 6 pars and one birdie between the few greens I hit and shoot 81-85! I just hit some stupid shots say like my second on a short par 4 a little wedge just kinda sky it!...or third on a par 5 like a skulled wedge!! I could sort them out easily. I snap hook my drives in the rough and trees all day meaning at the moment I can't even reach some greens in regulation. I also have bad course management and a temper and Im under pressure to lower my scores. I play better when I don't track my score as well.

Could any of you help me hit more greens with some simple tips or course management. I aim for the center unless I'm inside 100 yards but my swing changes aren't working consistently!

How do you sky a wedge with your second shot, haha? Anyways, all kidding aside, just don't worry about it. You say you play better when you just don't care, then forget it, don't care! Go out and have fun, forget about score and just try your best. It also seems like the problem stems from your tee game. As you "snap hook my drives in the rough and trees all day meaning at the moment I can't even reach some greens in regulation". I would get that fixed for one. A straighter driver has helped me, I had to go square to get it but I don't care! Also, you mention you have a temper, same as me. I found the best way to do that was play a few times against some players who are way better than myself for some cash. Not only did I beat them, but the temper vanished, although it can rear its head though. All I cared about was making sure they didn't get too far ahead that I couldn't catch up to them, and inevitably pay them $5. So if I hit a bad shot, I counted my losses and played for par if it was a tee shot, or grinded it out for bogey if I miss hit an iron shot. You'll also notice than a good portion of those times, you won't make the bogey, but actually somehow scramble a par, or better yet, hit a miraculous shot and have them shaking with a birdie opportunity.
    Posted:

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757
    Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85
    Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL
    Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold
    Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium

• mjc694mjc694 Members  655WRX Points: 0Posts: 655
    my simple suggestion would go back to routine. i would guess you are losing focus, and if you had a solid pre shot routine it would help you get ready to make better shots.

Routine, routine, routine.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • deRaiLeDdeRaiLeD "You miss 100% of putts that dont make it to the hole" Jr. Boomers  86WRX Points: 0Posts: 86
    Honestly, I think you should just work on your ball stiking bud!
    Posted:
  • burkizebburkizeb Members  9WRX Points: 0Posts: 9
    I would say you need to work on your swing path this would improve scoring from tee to green
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.