Other OEM Squareback's? Non-Scotty?

sharkhark

Hi, are there any other similar squareback designs (the new forthcoming scotty cameron design) that other OEM's have done, past tense or currently? I am talking with a very squared off edges, not rounded like most mallets.

I think part of the buzz is that with all that has come before there is no other putter I have seen with quite that squared off look. I like the look of an extended newport/anser like shape as it is good for alignment and with crisper edging (not rounded).

Other than Machine putters...and a just discovered yes donna which Is interesting (did not know it existed) are there others? (square though....not fastback shaped with rounded edges/bumpers).

Any others you know of? (pics below so there is no confusion).

bbbf_1.JPG

when looking down on putter below:

rss_img_IMG_1890_resize.JPG

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! Donna, Machine Fatback, Bettinardi Sabatini proto, and TP Mills Fleetwood and Boxwood, have similar lines.

The Yes! Donna is truly point and shoot, but the face feels a little too metallic for my liking. I've also tried the Fleetwood, but the one I had weighed too much for the slow muni courses that I normally play on. After a fitting, I am hoping to try out a Fatback.

Yes! Donna, although it is not to my tastes because the face portion is aluminum.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

I only came across the yes donna when entering the search term "squareback" into ebay. Now two of you have mentioned it as well. I like the look as it is very similar to the scotty, I also like the yes technology on getting a good roll. However i have never actually owned a yes, just practiced with, so I wonder what feel off the face aluminum would give? That worries me. No donnas local to hit some putts with.

To the first replier? When you say you are going to try a fatback do you mean machine putters? Secondly, any further comments on the yes donna?

Yes, at some point I want to get fitted at a SAM location, and look into getting some customization in a Machine fatback model. Depending of course if the data supports that as the model best suited to my stroke.

The Donna is very, very easy to line up. If I hadn't started experimenting with an utley pendulum stroke I think the Donna would be a contender for the bag. Use the sight line to get the ball on your intended line and the ball will roll there. Distance control was also very good as the putter seemed to be in the right weight range for the speed of my local greens. I will experiment a little more with the Donna if I decide to move back to a straight-back and straight through stroke. As to my comment of the feel off the face, I don't know if that was a matter of the grooves or the aluminum face, but there was a certain harshness at impact that felt foreign. May not be bad for some, but did not register my "feels good" senses.

I have a Yes! Tiffany and pured putts are AWESOME. Immediate forward roll, the ball hugs the ground like it's on magnetic rails, and the feel is great - it's like you didn't even hit the ball. Buttery. I just don't particularly like aluminum putters because even a pured shot has that 'tink' feel and sound that just isn't quite right, to me, anyway.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

As mentioned before, the Yes! Donna. Here's the Bag Chatter review - http://www.golfwrx.com/BagChatter/2008/04/...-putter-review/

It is outstanding for shorter putts and I mean outstanding. Anything straight just gets knocked in the hole as the shape means that alignement is a cinch and the MOI means you're never off target. The only thing that can be said about it is the feel as it has a different feel than most putters, it's a lot quieter than even other Yes! putters. If you like the brand and want better feel in a mallet then the Sandy is the one for you (but that does not have square edges but batwings).

Apart from the ones mentioned, I can't think of any other putter in that style.

Yes, at some point I want to get fitted at a SAM location, and look into getting some customization in a Machine fatback model. Depending of course if the data supports that as the model best suited to my stroke.

The Donna is very, very easy to line up. If I hadn't started experimenting with an utley pendulum stroke I think the Donna would be a contender for the bag. Use the sight line to get the ball on your intended line and the ball will roll there. Distance control was also very good as the putter seemed to be in the right weight range for the speed of my local greens. I will experiment a little more with the Donna if I decide to move back to a straight-back and straight through stroke. As to my comment of the feel off the face, I don't know if that was a matter of the grooves or the aluminum face, but there was a certain harshness at impact that felt foreign. May not be bad for some, but did not register my "feels good" senses.

Thanks for the follow up comments. I wonder if the feel of harshness had anything to do with your type of ball. I read in the review someone attached link to, that soft spin balls feel good and distance ones feel harsh. Maybe?

As mentioned before, the Yes! Donna. Here's the Bag Chatter review - http://www.golfwrx.com/BagChatter/2008/04/...-putter-review/

It is outstanding for shorter putts and I mean outstanding. Anything straight just gets knocked in the hole as the shape means that alignement is a cinch and the MOI means you're never off target. The only thing that can be said about it is the feel as it has a different feel than most putters, it's a lot quieter than even other Yes! putters. If you like the brand and want better feel in a mallet then the Sandy is the one for you (but that does not have square edges but batwings).

Apart from the ones mentioned, I can't think of any other putter in that style.

Thank you for comments. I actually really really like the scotty fatback look and want something close, so no other shapes, i even have a wilson kirk currie III I picked up that i like, but I find with the rounded edges and way they did three alignment lines I get a bit confused on lines, too fussy, i like one line. I am beginning to think the donna is a good candidate. With none local even at our giant chain golftown, i may have to take a chance and buy on ebay, then if it does not work i guess i could resale. Thank you again for comments.

Slighter can build something very similar;

http://www.slightergolf.com/default.asp?p=...ples&id=768

WOw! That is nice. I also like the personalization aspect like nick names etc. Very similar to scotty's and actually may look better to my eye (not good enough in putter knowledge to know why).

Only issue would be how they price out, i just barely looked at your link, so I will go thru what his costs are, I know that some "made for you" or "boutique" putters are even more expensive than high priced scotty's. I absolute love the machine fatback, but with no way to fit me (living in toronto not texas or wherever they are) the idea of dropping roughly $570 inc shipping is scary.

Thanks for this info though, appreciated. :good:

I just ordered a Squareback from Home Town Putters and the pics look very much like a Scotty and he will do anything he can to make you happy. A carbon is $325 and SS $350 with many options...I wont get it for a month or so though due to a polymer finish Iam getting...

Thank you, i will look into it. I have never even heard of them, but prices sound decent and if there are good options, sounds good. I hope when I look into it that the square shape is maintained, I do not like rounding of the bumpers like some are doing in their version as it ends up looking like a fastback mallet, I like a square like anser shape.

Thanks again!