How do you line up your putts?

maggot ·  
maggotmaggot Members  576WRX Points: 0Posts: 576
So how do you line up your putts? I personally aim the line at the hole so I have a reference point for my line but I think I am in the minority.
Posted:

Comments

• PurePursuit PurePursuit Members  2237WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,237
    I aim the line on the ball at the line I want to start the putt on..then make sure my body is aimed on a parallel line.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BobaBoba Members  2284WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,284
    I'll play a variety of balls, but usually if I'm playing a ball with a seam, I'll align the seam so it's horizontal. If the ball doesn't have a seam, I'll place the logo perpendicular to my line. I don't like getting fussy about aiming my ball at a target. Rather I'll make a few practice strokes, pick an intermediate target & go.
    Posted:
  • Matt727Matt727 Members  532WRX Points: 0Posts: 532
    I use the brand name "Titleist" and put it perpindicular to the line i want to putt on, I find this helpful so I dont get too obsessed with the line, but it does help me line up a little.
    Posted:
  • w8liftrw8liftr w8lifting, club swinging, Metal Monster!!! ClubWRX  2258WRX Points: 62Posts: 2,258 Platinum Tees
    Shagshow wrote on Oct 3 2008, 08:47 PM:
    I aim the line on the ball at the line I want to start the putt on..then make sure my body is aimed on a parallel line.

Same for me.
    Posted:
  • TM golf guyTM golf guy Members  9985WRX Points: 1Posts: 9,985 Titanium Tees
    I place the ball to where I can only see white, aim, and pull the trigger. Works pretty well for me. I've always been a feel kinda guy, and when I try to use a line, I never really trust it.
    Posted:
  • sharkharksharkhark Members  1691WRX Points: 129Posts: 1,691 Platinum Tees
    I put the line i draw on the ball...in the direction of the line of putt (not the hole necessarily...but the line i need to take). I find it helps confirm my line, especially on short putts as i can line up the small line on my putter head with the line on ball and ensure i go thru the ball firmly.

It also helps confirm my read, if i get over ball and change my mind, i double check behind ball. Any time i do not trust my read (i am good at reading) and change the stroke direction, i find 9/10 i miss the hole and was right on my behind the ball read, as your perspective over the ball changes. For me i need to just trust the line and get speed right.

I have gone from a ok putter to a good putter with above. Still not 'great' but good ...
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • QWKDTSNQWKDTSN Dreaming of Bandon Members  2999WRX Points: 3Posts: 2,999 Titanium Tees
    I set the ball down so that only White is visible and pick an off colored blade of grass 1-2 feet in front of the ball on my intended line.
    Posted:
  • Bogie HokieBogie Hokie Members  154WRX Points: 0Posts: 154
    TM golf guy 182 wrote on Oct 3 2008, 10:50 PM:
    I place the ball to where I can only see white, aim, and pull the trigger. Works pretty well for me. I've always been a feel kinda guy, and when I try to use a line, I never really trust it.

I do the same thing. I like looking down and only see a white ball. Same on the tee. I try to have all white facing up and no ink where the club will impact. I have OCD. image/crazy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fool:' />
    Posted:
  • paulybpaulyb Members  296WRX Points: 0Posts: 296
    I put my ball down with nothing showing on top. Blank white. I use an intermediate target about a foot or so in front of my ball to square up me and my putter. I occasionally use a line on the bottom of the ball when I practice so I can see how true the roll is.
    Posted:
  • QWKDTSNQWKDTSN Dreaming of Bandon Members  2999WRX Points: 3Posts: 2,999 Titanium Tees
    Did you guys watch the US Amateur this year? The young guy who played against Danny Lee in the final match used the line on the ball to line up his putts and he took for-ev-er. I realize how much that match meant to him but if I ever see anyone on the course grinding over any putt in that manner I am gonna flip! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fool:' />

I like to color exactly half of a golf ball black with a sharpie to practice putting, you can do this by sticking the ball in the end of a toilet paper tube then coloring away... You can use the line in line with your putt, or opposite your putt - in line, you see how much wobble you are getting to the side (it's usually a lot on anything less than a perfect green) and if you put it the opposite way, you can see how fast the ball is decelerating by the flashing alternate black-white. It can help with speed control.
    Posted:
  • StankleberryStankleberry Members  81WRX Points: 0Posts: 81
    I don't pick my ball up off the green unless it has chunks of dirt on it. If I do pick it up to clean it, I put it back down randomly.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.