Myrtle Beach

cdesana

Best deals?
I am heading to North Myrtle Beach next week (Oct. 28 to Nov. 2) and staying in a buddies Condo / Timeshare at the Dye Villas in Barefoot Resort. There will only be two of us for the mid week portion and wanted to find out a couple of things.

1 - Courses you must play?

2 - Courses that 4 stars (excellent condition) yet reasonable in price?

We will play the Barefoot course on some days but wanted to include some lesser expensive quality golf in as well. And many people seem to feel Caledonia is the one course that you MUST PLAY when i the area.

Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I was down during the summer I got hold of some coupons to play the three cat courses for $99. I can't think of thier names, but there are four courses now so the deal might have changed. I've played the Tiger and Leopard courses before in the past and $33/round is a great for N.M.B.

Many of the courses in the North Myrtle and Cherry Grove area are great quality at a lower price than the other Myrtle courses.

I second the vote for Wicked Stick. Very nice links course for a pretty good price, plus if you play it from the tips it is LOOOOONG!!!

I would also add Aberdeen to the list. Played it a few years back and it was pretty nice, plus they have three different style nines to choose from. Also take a look at the Witch, Wizard, and Man 'O War. You can get a deal on all three just like the cat courses. The Legends are nice but can be a little pricey compared to what is out there. Just start checking websites of the courses, there are over 120 to choose from in the Grand Strand of MB.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

i dont know bout wicked stick. the fairways are double the width of a normal fairway. the course is essentially built for a grip and rip guy. but if thats your style go for it i guess. ive always like kings north at myrtle beach national. seem to take care of us there and the island fairway 15th is always fun. river club is nice. tight. pawleys plantation is a little bit of a trek but the layout was awesome. world tour is the one with the holes that replicate famous holes from around the world (i.e. augusta's amen corner, doral, baltusrol). they usually have really nice greens there. enjoy! i wish i could go right now

Highly reccomend the Ocean Ridge Plantation north of Myrtle in Ocean Isle, NC. It's home to the five amazingly maintained "cat courses" don't miss Tiger's Eye it rocks.

Taylormade M3 9.5 Tensei
Taylormade M4 (x2) Tensei
Adams Pro 22* Aldila Red
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro KBS Tour 4-PW
Bettinardi 52 & 58
Bettinardi BB8f

I was just in Myrtle the first week of Oct. I played True Blue and Calendonia they were in great shape....must plays! We played Barefoot, Love and Dye Club both recently over seeded the LOVE greens were in the best shape out of all the courses we played. I would check out the Fazio at Barefoot as well.

I heard that Thistle is in awesome shape as well. We played Grande Dunes and it was a little beat up and over seeded you should be good now with the over seed now.

Need an extra player??

DBOGEY

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

I am also in Myrtle for the week and I am playing Wicked Stick tomorrow afternoon for $50. There is a brochure that has 20 courses listed and 15 of them are $20 off right now. Pick up a local newspaper and there is a coupon for Witch, Wizard and Man O War. I am a huge fan of the last 2 on there, fun designs and great condition. I played them both last year but the drought really made them a little ugle since water is all over the place there. I think I may play Man O War later in the week to play there with the real water level where it should be.

They say that the fairways are twice the width for Wicked Stick but I drove by there today and checked it out and it is not an easy course. Looks very similar to the Wizard with the Scottish style mounds and open links-layout.

The Wizard is pretty wide open and the greens are perfect. There are scottish style mounds separating fairways and an island green and island fairway! Man O War has back to back island greens on the back 9 and and an entire island hole #9 that are beautiful. Many people on here do not like these 2 courses but I love them and enjoy the different layouts and amazing greens there. I will let you know after I play tomorrow what I think about Wicked Stick.

I hope posting a web address isn't against the rules, but it's for your benefit - check out mbteetimes.com. It has just about anything you want, and some pretty good deals. But a quick secret - if you call the course directly, alot of the time, you can get even better deals, unless it's just one of the ultra fancy, don't care if you come play us or not type courses.

As for the have to play courses, I spent a month this summer in Pawleys' Island, which is where caledonia is, and just about every course down there is terrific. But it is a trek from North Myrtle. MBN is still about my favorite, with the king's north course obviously the best - but the South course isn't too shabby.

Golf down there is all about what you want to spend, and what type of course you like. They have the old standby courses that are still great, and some newer type courses which I personally don't like near as well, so it's kinda personal preference too. For instance, I HATE wicked stick and man o war, but lots of people love them, so to each his own!

Played Wicked Stick today and it was in great condition. Very smooth greens with a gret roll all day long. FYI...this course is not as wide as people like to think. Yes it starts with back and forth holes with not much trouble, but there are many holes with OB on one side and water the entire length of the hole on the other side. The fairways are generally not any wider then any other course that I play on a regular basis, but there is not much rough to speak of out there now, so a miss of the fairway that is not H2O or OB can be played with a nice lie. It was a fun course and nice layout and I was done in about 4.5 hours while playing as a 4-some behind a couple of 4-somes.

I am on the fence about playing the Wizard, Waterway Hills, or Beachwood tomorrow, an suggestion of the 3. I have played Wizard and liken it to Wicked Stick very much, but with better greens. I am trying to keep form going too far out of town and really do not want o spend any more then $60 tomorrow. Any thoughts currently on Waterway or Beachwood?

Wicked Stick is just ok. Not a must play by any sense. Worth playing in the north are:

Tiger's Eye

River's Edge (though I hear conditions are poor right now)

Tidewater

Long Bay

Glen Dornoch

all of those are some of the best you will play down there.

OK, but all of those that you listed are either really far away (45 minutes or longer), and/or well over $100.

I decided to stay near 501 and got a great rate of $50 with a $5 coupon for Burning Ridge so I played there. It was a great course for the money and a layout that I really enjoyed. Lots of great short par 4's in the 305-345 yardage range that really require smart play because of doglegs and bunkers. I actually shot my second best round of the year there today largely due to the slower greens compared to what I usually play. My only complaint was how horribly wet the course was due to overseeding right now. That made it cart-path only which is never really any fun. I would have rather walked honestly, but the pace was still great. Actually, the yardage markers were not great either. Very few sprinkler head and when I could find one it was the middle distance only, no front and back yardages. This was a bit of a problem since you could not get the cart-GPS next to your ball with cart-path only.

For the $ it was a great course and a good second day after Wicked Stick yesterday. I loke both layouts equally as they are definately much different but both have much to offer. Wicked starts out a little too easy with 1, 2, and 3 but gets much more difficult quickly. I think I am going to do Beachwood and Waterway Hills on the next trip, and maybe Possum Trot.

The funny part of the 2 days is that I was 9 of 14 fairways at Wicked Stick and a better 11 of 14 at Burning Ridge....but the forgiveness of the course was seen with me hitting 7 greens at Wicked and only 5 at Burning. Many fairways but the greens can be small in sections and are tougher to hit at Burning. The putting was also easier at Burning IMO because they were a little wasier to read. Wicked were larger greens without big undulations...but lots of very subtle and tricky putts to read in the 7-12 foot range at Wicked. I was 3 shots better at burning which is a 133 slope and Wicked was only a 122 slope.

o yea just thought of this... if you want to practice, go to Possum Trot. One of the greatest practicec facilities in the area. a 250+ yd grass driving range, 60 yd shortgame grass range (practice pitching/ flops or your short game) and a putting green. thats my favorite place to pracitice of every course ive ever played.

o yea just thought of this... if you want to practice, go to Possum Trot. One of the greatest practicec facilities in the area. a 250+ yd grass driving range, 60 yd shortgame grass range (practice pitching/ flops or your short game) and a putting green. thats my favorite place to pracitice of every course ive ever played.

Plus Possom Trot can take your on cooler and beer they dont care.

Wicked Stick is just ok. Not a must play by any sense. Worth playing in the north are:

Tiger's Eye

Tidewater

Long Bay

Glen Dornoch

OK, but all of those that you listed are either really far away (45 minutes or longer), and/or well over $100.

well, we played RE for $70 in May, LB for $97 in May as well. gotta be even cheaper now cause that was peak season. TW TE and GD will be more but he did ask for some must plays.

And really, all be RE are closer the Wicked Stick from Barefoot, since we stay right near there.

I'd also suggest Crow Creek and Farmstead as good value as well with Arrowhead being a solid choice also.

Plus Possom Trot can take your on cooler and beer they dont care.

agreed - great practice facility there

Tiger's Eye

Tidewater

Long Bay

Glen Dornoch

well, we played RE for $70 in May, LB for $97 in May as well. gotta be even cheaper now cause that was peak season. TW TE and GD will be more but he did ask for some must plays.

And really, all be RE are closer the Wicked Stick from Barefoot, since we stay right near there.

I'd also suggest Crow Creek and Farmstead as good value as well with Arrowhead being a solid choice also.

I also herd that River's Edge is rough right now, but that is a good price for there. We have a place on South Ocean down near the airport so most of the courses that you listed are 45-60 minutes away from here, but are some great deals without a doubt. The courses on 501 are close along with Wicked Stick, Heron Point, and Wachesaw East...plus Pawley's Island is much close for us down here. I did find a great deal at Burning Ridge and played with a couple who stated that the greens at Wizard and Man O War were far smoother and faster then Burning Ridge. But a great time today and a steal of a price!

agreed....I always ask people where they are staying since they don't usually realize how big an area it is down there. That's probably why the furthest south we have played is Wicked Stick. We stick to the center or north end since we've always stayed up that way.

here is a good overview of all the courses (take with a grain of salt)

http://www.mbga.com/COURSES.HTM

this is a great forum for anything Myrtle Beach Golf

http://forums.prospero.com/mbgolf/messages

Call this guy and go to his website, he will get you a great deal and tell you the best places to play!

Brian Noblin

Golf/Tournament Director

The Myrtle Beach Golf Desk

[email protected]

www.myrtlebeachgolftalk.com

1-800-642-3108

Proud GEA Sponsor

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

we've used mbgolfwizard.com the past few years.

I called 5-6 places and they were the cheapest. you can even look on their web site for prices based on date, time, and course and figure everything out beforehand. Service is good with them as well and we have not had a problem with anything - it all ran smooth.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions; but in the end decided to wing it when I got down there. The good news is that I had a club that needed to be repaired and I got there a day before everyone else so I went into Martins Golf and Tennis and what do I find?

They have a tee time company right at the entrance. After talking to the guy working the desk here is what we did.

First we played Arrowhead for $67.00 cart and balls included. The course was in great shape and other than a frost delay had a nice time. Not my fave type of course with houses and condos pretty much on both sides of most holes but for the price it was a good way to start the trip.

Second day we played Tigers Eye for $67.00 plus cart which brought the total cost to $82.00 Golf, Cart and Range Balls. The course was more my style with very few homes and a great mix of holes. It was in very good shape but with over seeding it was cart path only and the pace of play was crazyyyyyyyyyy slow. The rangers did not seem to care about the pace either. Needless to say other than the pace it was a good time.

The rest of the trip was pre-planned with playing Barefoot - Love which is my fave course there even if they offer no deals and Thistle which we all loved. We had planned to play all 27 but with a couple guys staying out too late the previous night we changed our tee time to after noon where the rate was reduced to $80.00 with Carts and Range Balls included. I would strongly suggest the short trip to play this course.

By the way the guy at Martins said they are working on getting a better rate for Thistle in the future, if that happens we will play there every year.