HOW TO RUST A WEDGE

Collo_23

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can also wrap it in a damp cloth overnight. Rust will start to form on it by the next morning...

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

This is the best way - Remember doing high school science??? Soak it in pure Coke Cola - the real thing, LOL....This will eat through anything, if it doesn't do it enough, simply replace the Coke - Coke works best due to high acidic content. And not diet, regular works better. It only lasts overnight. This will take all finish off and wedge will rust if it gets wet and air dries repeatidly.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter:
Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver:
Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid:
Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid:
Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW:
Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW:
Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW:
Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips: 
Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

as long as it isnt chrom plated, throw it in white vinegar, it will take less than an hour to get the finish off, and then just lightly sand or even just a golf brush to clean it up and ur have raw steel, from there it will rust slowly, or you can speed the process with saltwater. there is also some stuff you can buy at sporting goods stores that will instantly rust it within ten minutes, but i cant think of the name.... its in the gun section tho lol

adding rust does NOT add spin. it just reduces glare...

a rusty, rough surface creates more friction and grips the ball more than a smooth surface... at least, that's the idea.

-Micah

There is a long thread on this somewehere and the conclusion is that it does NOT add spin, in fact it may slightly reduce spin. Think about it, if you hit more than one shot on the sweet spot the rust will be essentially worn off. The main benefit is to reduce glare especially when you open the wedge up, also they look kinda cool. The only thing that adds spin to a wedge is good technique, a soft covered ball, a tight lie, wind in your face, higher clubhead speed, box grooves from the rough, and clean contact with no grass or dirt (maybe rust) to create slippage and reduce gripping. think of it this way spin is created with friction between the ball and the clubface, much like a racing tire on the track, when water or dirt is introduced you need treads (grooves) to give you grip, a smooth faced club will actually give you great spin from a perfectly struck shot from a clean lie.

If you want rust just wrap it in a wet towel for a day or two. BTW Coke will remove rust fromt the wedge along with any type of oil can type finish.....which will then allow it to rust quicker once the finish is removed. If you have a chrome wedge it takes some very strong industrial acids to remove it, DONT TRY THIS AT HOME, just spend the money on a raw wedge.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

a rusty, rough surface creates more friction and grips the ball more than a smooth surface... at least, that's the idea.

-Micah

There is a long thread on this somewehere and the conclusion is that it does NOT add spin, in fact it may slightly reduce spin. Think about it, if you hit more than one shot on the sweet spot the rust will be essentially worn off. The main benefit is to reduce glare especially when you open the wedge up, also they look kinda cool. The only thing that adds spin to a wedge is good technique, a soft covered ball, a tight lie, wind in your face, higher clubhead speed, box grooves from the rough, and clean contact with no grass or dirt (maybe rust) to create slippage and reduce gripping. think of it this way spin is created with friction between the ball and the clubface, much like a racing tire on the track, when water or dirt is introduced you need treads (grooves) to give you grip, a smooth faced club will actually give you great spin from a perfectly struck shot from a clean lie.

Tis True. It is an interesting thread to read. No extra spin. Just looks cool and reduces glare is all.

-Micah

Tis True. It is an interesting thread to read. No extra spin. Just looks cool and reduces glare is all.

Sorry to bust this bubble, but I'm sure the thread was posted before I became a member so I'm not going to read it. I'm sure it's long and full of people who know alot about stuff. But, I'm sure none have preformed thousands of shots with the same wedge, both bought new that are exactly the same in every way except one is rusty. This was done by either golf magazine or golf digest, but after 10,000 100 yard wedge shots, both lost spin from their new condition but the one that was rusty lost between 500-1000 RPMs, while the one chromed lost between 2000-5000 RPM's. Now that you all know this, we all know a raw wedge is not any more durable than a chromed one. So, all things being equal, one can devise that the rust on the wedge was adding friction/roughness/or whatever else you want to call it. It spun faster for longer. BTW a new wedge spins between 12,000-13,500 RPM's. Hope this clears up that other thread. Feel free to search for the article. I could not, I'm at work. LOL.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter:
Driver:
3 Hybrid:
3 Hybrid:
4 – GW:
SW:
LW:
All Grips: 
Customizing:
PING White DLX Cart Bag

-Micah

Sorry to bust this bubble, but I'm sure the thread was posted before I became a member so I'm not going to read it. I'm sure it's long and full of people who know alot about stuff. But, I'm sure none have preformed thousands of shots with the same wedge, both bought new that are exactly the same in every way except one is rusty. This was done by either golf magazine or golf digest, but after 10,000 100 yard wedge shots, both lost spin from their new condition but the one that was rusty lost between 500-1000 RPMs, while the one chromed lost between 2000-5000 RPM's. Now that you all know this, we all know a raw wedge is not any more durable than a chromed one. So, all things being equal, one can devise that the rust on the wedge was adding friction/roughness/or whatever else you want to call it. It spun faster for longer. BTW a new wedge spins between 12,000-13,500 RPM's. Hope this clears up that other thread. Feel free to search for the article. I could not, I'm at work. LOL.

http://www.golf.com/golf/instruction/artic...1601716,00.html I am assuming this is the article? IMO there are a lot of unexplained holes in their theory.

1. what kind of ball are they using in the unfinished club test?

2. What kind of club are they using in the Top Flite vs. the Pro VI test?

3. What kind of ball and club are they using in the clean vs. wet ball test?

4. What kind of grooves do these wedges have in all tests, V-U-box, milled faces, are they even the same club, how much bounce? what grind.

5. Why under normal conditions does the ball spin at 9000rpm and the ProVI spins at 12000rpm's and the Topflite spins at 8000rpm's it doesnt add up there must be a 3rd type of test ball in play here. At the same time the Unchromed new club spins at 9000 rpm and the 3 year old club spins at 12000rpm so the only conclusion is that they used different balls between the two tests. Also if this is true why do most of the pros switch wedges every month or so? I have read that most pros go through about 4 wedges a year.

6. Finally are these human or machine tests?

Sorry no one has busted my bubble yet, but if you can prove it to me I will be happy to chnage my opinion.

In summary I have no idea whatsoever when reading this article if they are comparing apples to apples are apples to kiwi.

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

read this thread, espeically the posts from FairwayFred, aka Ari the owner of Scratch Golf makers of premium custom made wedges.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...=rust+on+wedges

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

The trouble is....everyone posting...including myself, always seems to post with a tone of voice that makes them sound like the expert and after we add our two cents it's like end of story, blah blah blah, period. So, one person who has enough money to start a company can say - I've done testing on..., nothing is further from the truth....., we found scientifically speaking....., I don't know where you got your information from but..., and on and on and on all the while sounding like the worlds formost expert of rusty spinning wedges, or whatever the topic is..... Does anyone else agree. Just because one guy makes wedges that are amazingly fantastic, doesn't make his experiment any more or less valid than the most widely read golf puplication with a multi million dollar testing budget. I feel it might even depend on the make of the wedge. Material used, process used to form it, etc etc, there are just too many variables - some people spin more than others, doesn't mean low spin players are anyless worse. now, End of Story. LOL.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter:
Driver:
3 Hybrid:
3 Hybrid:
4 – GW:
SW:
LW:
All Grips: 
Customizing:
PING White DLX Cart Bag

The trouble is....everyone posting...including myself, always seems to post with a tone of voice that makes them sound like the expert and after we add our two cents it's like end of story, blah blah blah, period. So, one person who has enough money to start a company can say - I've done testing on..., nothing is further from the truth....., we found scientifically speaking....., I don't know where you got your information from but..., and on and on and on all the while sounding like the worlds formost expert of rusty spinning wedges, or whatever the topic is..... Does anyone else agree. Just because one guy makes wedges that are amazingly fantastic, doesn't make his experiment any more or less valid than the most widely read golf puplication with a multi million dollar testing budget. I feel it might even depend on the make of the wedge. Material used, process used to form it, etc etc, there are just too many variables - some people spin more than others, doesn't mean low spin players are anyless worse. now, End of Story. LOL.

Great post there. Good advice to follow not only on this topic but on others.

Most things eventually come down to personal experience and preference.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...