Cameron Napa Oil Can finish to Pro Platinum

jman2407

Should I or shouldn't I?
I have a Scotty Cameron Oil Can Napa putter that I am thinking of sending off to the Custom shop to be refinished in the Pro Platinum style.

Would this increase or decrease its value?

Any other pros and cons to doing so?

Going to have it restored b/c of a slight nick on the topline. How much weight can I expect to lose once it has been buffed out???

Alignment aid: should I get a sight dot or sight line? Which will hold value more, which is better in your opinion, etc?

Thanks in advance. All of your opinions are appreciated!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't do it! Don't do it! Don't do it!

You have right there probably one of the most valuable off-the-rack Camerons. Oil Cans in general are probably the most sought after OTRs in the Cameron lineup, and the Napas tend to be the most valuable model.

Pro Platinum doesn't carry a premium for collectors--it's really best only if you plan to game the putter. Plus, if you get it in Pro Platinum, the Custom Shop will stamp it with the Custom Shop stamp, which I think decreases the value of the putter. And the nickel plating does harden the feel a little bit, so there's a debate as to whether the plating even makes for a better gamer.

From a strict value standpoint, probably the best thing you can do is to have it restored to its original condition if it has been gamed. If it's near mint, just leave it.

I have a Scotty Cameron Oil Can Napa putter that I am thinking of sending off to the Custom shop to be refinished in the Pro Platinum style.

Play it as is. Once you restore it, the finish will only deteriorate through play again. If you do go Pro Platinum, the plating will change the feel.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Play it as is. Once you restore it, the finish will only deteriorate through play again. If you do go Pro Platinum, the plating will change the feel.

I totally agree, the Pro Platinum finish will drastically change how the putter feels.

Regarding the value, I imagine that you won't be able to get out of it what you put into it if you get it finished in PP (cost of the putter plus the PP finish). If you just get it refinished in OC, then most likely you will be able to recoup any cost if you decide to resell as the OC refinish is cheaper.

I liked the look when I did mine, but I sold it as soon as it arrived from the refinish. Never hit a putt with it. But if you are going to make it a gamer, don't do it. The feel of a oil can or gun blue finish is hands down better than the pro platinum. If you want it as a collector's item, don't do anything to it.

Okay, got it. Thanks for everyone's input. I will not change the finish to Pro Platinum - it will remain Oil Can!!!

I am going to send it off for restoration though because it has a small nick on the topline that I want to get rid off. Does anyone know how much weight I can expect to lose once the custom shop buffs it out???

Any ideas on adding weight to the putter without putting that un-godly looking lead tape all over the bottom? I have a feeling this is my only option. :(

Finally, I need an alignment b/c I am going to game the putter. Should I go with a sight dot or sight line? Reasons why? (which will retain value better, etc.)

Finally, I need an alignment b/c I am going to game the putter. Should I go with a sight dot or sight line? Reasons why? (which will retain value better, etc.)

Are you going to have the Cameron Studio put the alignment aid?

If so, they will put the sitedot over the sweetspot, while a sightline will be on the center of the putter. Napa models have the sweetspot towards the heel.

So it is up to you whether you want a centering indicator or a sweetspot indicator when you choose dot vs line.

Are you going to have the Cameron Studio put the alignment aid?

If so, they will put the sitedot over the sweetspot, while a sightline will be on the center of the putter. Napa models have the sweetspot towards the heel.

So it is up to you whether you want a centering indicator or a sweetspot indicator when you choose dot vs line.

I'm not sure I agree that the Custom Shop would put the site dot on the sweetspot, which, as has been noted, is toward the heel. If you look at the limited edition Napa Valley putters, those had a site dot square in the middle of the topline. That looks better, but it's not good for indicating where you should make contact with the ball.

My guess is that the Custom Shop's first inclination would be to put a sight dot or sight line in the middle of the topline (just a guess). Either way, I'd be sure to tell them whether you want the mark in the middle or on the sweetspot.

But this would be another thing that would instantly drive down the value of the putter (maybe not on par with getting a pro platinum finish, but close). You might want to consider just putting a piece of pinstriping tape on the topline, and you can always remove it if you want to sell it. Ultimately, if you feel you HAVE to put a mark on it, a sight dot in the middle of the topline would probably diminish the value of the putter the least because it has been done on production models like the napa valley.

As far as adding weight, there are really two ways to do this. First, you can put weight down the shaft, but this changes the balance of the putter and pushes the sweetspot even farther toward the heel. Second, you can leave the sweetspot where it is by putting lead tape on the sole, but I agree that it's ugly.

You probably won't lose much weight in the restoration process. Maybe a couple grams. You can specify that you want the milling to be minimal when you place your order, and that will help.

Funny story,

Wife and I are both pros. We have a Napa Oil Can and a few weeks ago I was looking around for it...asked, if she had seen it and she said, "yeah, I let one of my juniors borrow it a few months back"... I started laughing and asked her if she had any idea how much it was worth, she kinda freaked out. She is a brilliant instructor, but pretty clueless about clubs. We probably have 20-25 Camerons around the house and she thought it was just an old, worthless putter.

So, somewhere out there is an 11 year old rocking a sweet Napa!

Nike Vapor Flex Whiteboard
Nike VR Pro Attas Int'l
Mizuno MP-H4 Deuce
Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
Mizuno MP-T4 54 & 58
Nike Method Midnight 008

Can't you get your Napa restored with it's original oil can finish? There's an option for restorations that reads "Original Finish - Included"...If so, I would recommend doing that and forget the Pro-Platinum. This way your putter will have the same feel and will be returned to like-new condition. I would email them to see if they would keep the Oil Can finish: [email protected]. Good luck with whatever you do.

If you look at the limited edition Napa Valley putters, those had a site dot square in the middle of the topline. That looks better, but it's not good for indicating where you should make contact with the ball.

Actually that was brought up in the sightline thread. The Cameron site specifically says they put the dot over the sweetspot and the line as a centering tool. The Napa Valley came up because a member, Mekeni IIRC, said his sitedot on his Napa Valley was centered but before that could be discussed the thread was closed.

If you haven't read that it is here.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...6&hl=select

Maybe a member should try to send in his Napa to the studio for a sitedot. I would send mine in but shipping alone from here to the Studio is $60 going in one direction alone.

I dont know how soft the Napa's are but I had a friend who had a Tei3 custom shopped in Pro Plat and he hated the way it changed the feel. Dont do it.

About adding weight to a Napa or any Blade putter.. put some lead tape under the grip to make it heavier. I've tried it on a few of my putters and like the added weight.

I have a PP Tour Napa.. absolutely love it. I dont think it is clicky at all. Now I have not owned a OC napa, but I have had OC newports and santa fe's before. Recently got a Classic1 redone in PP (yes stupid custom shop stamps) but I really like the PP finish the best. Again this is my opinion because I could careless about keeping the value of a putter ...decided long ago to game my scottys.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

Easiest way to find the sweet spot is to hold the shaft near the end with the face looking at you... Take a tee, or anything really, and tap around the face. tap too far right of the spot and the face will open up as it moves away from you. Too far left of the spot, towards the heel, the face will close as it moves away. When you find the spot the face will be balanced as it moves. Might be the Red-Neck way to do this... but hey, it works!

[indent=1][u] Ping G[/u][/indent]
[indent=1]X2 Hot 3 & 5 wood w/Chrome
Scratch Don White 21-46 w/5* gaps
Scratch XDG 51* & 56*
Del Mar Buttonback[/indent]