Played the Ocean Course at Kiawah

rblmp32

(lots of pics)
Yesterday morning at 7:30 AM. Originally was going out with a caddy by myself, but someone called in the afternoon before wanting to do the same, so they paired us up. Turned out that the guy was awesome, an older gentleman but plenty of game. As we chatted, it turned out that he's got quite the resume of courses played... Pine Valley, Augusta, Pebble, Medinah, Oakmont, you name it he'd been there. We were the first group out. Weather was spectacular, chilly in the morning, but little wind. Warmed up after the first hour and after that it was perfect.

The golf course.... I don't know if I can put it into words. It was spectacular. Stunning. Gorgeous. Immaculate. The front 9 has not a single home anywhere within sight. It's completely natural, and beautiful. The back 9 has a row of massive homes that are off to the right as you're playing 10-13, but they are never a distraction. The ocean is visible from nearly every whole save for the first few on the front 9. The layout is phenomenal. The condition was pristine. The staff was excellent. The clubhouse was gorgeous. If it sounds like I loved it, I'm glad, b/c I truly did. I can't wait to see the PGA played there, even though the PGA of America is requiring that grass be planted on the face of alot of the bunkers, which is going to look like s^#%. But I digress. If you ever have the chance to play this course, do yourself a favor and pony up the cash. It's worth every cent. And if you don't mind walking, get a caddy. And ask for Robert. He was truly amazing. Friendly, funny, gave perfect yardages instantaneously, read greens with expert precision, and was all around a great guy to have slinging the bag. Sidenote about him, he was in the Navy 4 years and then worked for the NSA for 15. I should have asked him what he did for the NSA, but was too into the round to think about it. Dude never once broke a sweat or was breathing hard carrying two bags for about 8500 yards at a full speed walk (read that as haulin a**).

I shot an 85 from the tournament tees, lost 2 balls off bad driver swings (pulls). Never had my game going save for one nice 8 iron to about 10 feet. Putter was fair, greens were fast. A recent swing change hasn't taken full hold yet and so I'm Jekyl and Hyde out there these days.

The clubhouse is spectacular, amazing
sitting area with views of the Ocean. The pro shop is full of Bobby Jones gear, and wouldn't you know it, a little basket with some Iliac Golf headcovers. Since reading about these last month on here, I've seen them in two pro shops. I couldn't resist, so I snagged a blue one. Damn they're so much nicer than Rocket Tour I have, $46 was the price.

Tips if you ever play this course... use the putter around the greens whenever you can. The areas around the greens are mowed extremely close and are very smooth in general so you can easily putt from off the green. If you play in the morning, the sand will be firm in alot of places so make sure and take practice swings in the bunker (technically they are all waste areas) so that you can get the right feel for how the ball will react (for me, each shot needed to be played basically like it was a tight fairway lie). The fairways are very very generous almost without exception, so don't have any fear about letting it loose with the driver. If you don't play the tournament tees, make sure and walk back to them on 17. That shot (we had 215 to the pin with a hurting wind) is amazing. And whats scary is, they could make it play much longer (every hole is like that, the course can stretch to 8000 yards if they want).

Pics...

Standing next to player partners drive, mine is up there a ways. :) This is #6, par 4 455. Gorgeous hole.

The dunes out there are where the 18th hole from the movie the Legend of Bagger Vance was shot. They made a green and fairway and that portion of the film was shot there. As it turns out, Will Smith was at the Ocean Course a couple months back our caddy said. Jada in tow and a bodyguard. Our guy didn't loop for him, but from what he heard from the guy who did Will was a pretty decent player.

Clubhouse, this was after we finished up the front 9. You catch a shuttle (big 8 seater golf cart) over to the back 9, as it's about a 1000yd walk. The range and ocean are to the left.

The range, shot almost immediately after the pic above

My ugly mug taken on 14 tee (par 3), which is the highest point on the island. (though one of the private clubs has built up a dune specifically to be higher)

14th green (same spot as picture above almost)

He was about 7 or 8 feet long, and was sunning on the fairway portion of 17 til we strolled up.

This was taken while walking up to 18 tee. Our angle (from the tournament tees) was much different and the wind was in our face. I bailed out and hit it in the bunker left and made bogey. Hit a 2nd ball for fun and hit a low fade 4 iron right at the flag that ended up being about a yard short (splash). Gorgeous hole, I'd hate to see it with a crosswind.

Clubhouse (pic above and below)

My approach into 18 after a nutted drive and pured 6 iron. Had about 190 in (counting wind) and just flushed the shot (trying to flight it lower). The wind died a little while I was swinging, so it ended up 10 yards too deep or so. Playing partner was in the bunker and the result of his shot is in the next pic...

Basturd...:lol:

Putting green which sits behind the clubhouse, I was standing on the back porch.

Note the difference between the Iliac (Kiawah logo) vs the Rocket Tour

Includes divot tool, ball marker, tees. Given to all players :)

Bought this in the pro shop, surprised that it was only $4

Bought this from TPK. Didn't need it, as our caddy was amazing.

Our caddy thought my yardage book (the 2007 PGA one) was really cool, so he hooked me up with the yardage book the caddy's use.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in Charleston for 10 years and had the joy of living in a friends condo for 1 year at Kiawah. After school, every day, I walked over to Cougar Point and hit and chipped balls. Had 3 friends who caddied at the Ocean Course and Cassique, so we got to play all of the courses, including the River Course numerous times. It is still by far my favorite golfing resort. I don't think there is anywhere that has the quality of the Kiawah's 5 courses packed inot such a small area.

To date, I have shot better than par lots of times, but the 76 is shot at the Ocean Couse from the tips in 40 mile per hour winds was the best(and hardest) round of golf I have ever had. Anyone new to the course with little game should bring alot of balls.

Very Cool - thanks for the pics! (btw, I noticed the ft-3 is out of the bag, how is the nike?)

Nike is very very solid. I wanted something to raise my launch angle and this is the ticket. I can still hit it low if I need to, but wow do I crunch this club. I have an identical backup, if that tells you anything...haha :)

It is one of my favorite vacation spots ever...........Great course and had one of my finest golfing rounds ever there to boot............Nice review, hope to go back this year...

You know when I decided to play, I figured it would be a once in a lifetime sort of deal. However after a 24 hour buffer to come down off the high, I can honestly say that I will be back. And soon. It's an amazing place.

I lived in Charleston for 10 years and had the joy of living in a friends condo for 1 year at Kiawah. After school, every day, I walked over to Cougar Point and hit and chipped balls. Had 3 friends who caddied at the Ocean Course and Cassique, so we got to play all of the courses, including the River Course numerous times. It is still by far my favorite golfing resort. I don't think there is anywhere that has the quality of the Kiawah's 5 courses packed inot such a small area.

To date, I have shot better than par lots of times, but the 76 I shot at the Ocean Couse from the tips in 40 mile per hour winds was the best(and hardest) round of golf I have ever had. Anyone new to the course with little game should bring alot of balls.

76 with the wind blowing is phenomenal. The wind was barely blowing for us, and so even though I didn't have anything more than my C game, I was able to keep it in play mostly. Our caddy said they drained the pond in front of 17 green a while back and found approximately 65000 golf balls. Hahaha.

I dunno what is going on with my op, those last 4 pics arent showing up when I edit (to try and remove them) but yet here they are...haha

Nice pics!! What's that cost to play with the caddy?

$350 + tip Minimum tip amount is $65. I forked out $100 because I thought our guy was amazing, and it looked like my playing partner may have doubled that honestly. Hahaha.

$450!! Holy crap!! Sounds you got your money's worth though.

Worth every penny honestly. There wasn't a single time from any standpoint where I felt like it wasn't worth it. If you have the chance to do it, don't hesitate. :)

awsome, looked like a nice trip, great course, great experiance, money can't always buy that.

Nice.

I'm jealous now.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter:
Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver:
Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid:
Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid:
Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW:
Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW:
Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW:
Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips: 
Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

I had a similar experience there last Dec. Course was awesome, staff was awesome, caddy was awesome, my score was opposite of awesome. Loved it and will be back. Price is a little steep this time of year, that's the only bad thing...

What was the deal with the grass thingies in the bunkers? I dont like that at all, they look like a** and would make it IMPOSSIBLE to get out of. The plain flashed sand was hard enough, looked a lot better too. I quacked a drive on #3 there, hit a tree and riccocheted stright right and plugged in a nearly 90° vertical waste area.

I had a similar experience there last Dec. Course was awesome, staff was awesome, caddy was awesome, my score was opposite of awesome. Loved it and will be back. Price is a little steep this time of year, that's the only bad thing...

What was the deal with the grass thingies in the bunkers? I dont like that at all, they look like a** and would make it IMPOSSIBLE to get out of. The plain flashed sand was hard enough, looked a lot better too. I quacked a drive on #3 there, hit a tree and riccocheted stright right and plugged in a nearly 90° vertical waste area.

The cost is the same all year round actually isn't it? :)

The PGA of America is making them put the grass there so that the players won't plug many balls into the sides of bunkers in '12 for the PGA Championship. Looks horrid. Everyone at the course was pretty annoyed about it, but oh well. The PGA is considering having them redo all the greens as well, b/c the pros aren't used to the type of grass. If they do that, the course will be closed all of 2011. Lame.

I parred 1 and 2, and hit a pull hook on #3 into the hazard and made 6. I was pissed...shoulda hit 3w. Oh well. :)

I think I paid like $240 or $260 in Dec 07. Either way, its a big chunk. Either way, very much worth the coin.

I know in the past they've had some "fur" on the edges of the bunkers, but they had a much cleaner look during my round. The pros werent plugging too many balls in the Senior PGA last year... lame.

ps, Im jealous you got to meet a gator, they were hiding from me... :rolleyes:

Great review and very similar to my experience. We had a great caddy who made the rounnd even better than it would have been.

Our caddy got one to show itself on 17 using the flag stick, he thought it was :partytime2: , I thought the thing was goign to eat us.

What a great course, thanks for sharing your pictures.

I love golf courses with ocean view and thies one seems to fit pretty good. ;)

Yamaha V202 Tour - Tour AD BB-7
Yamaha v FW 14° - Tour AD BB-7
Yamaha IFF 19° - Tour AD DI-7
Epon Personal 3-P - DG Pro
Yamaha Inpres X 52° 58° - DG Spinner
Golds Factory SUS 303 custom
WITB Link

I think I paid like $240 or $260 in Dec 07. Either way, its a big chunk. Either way, very much worth the coin.

I know in the past they've had some "fur" on the edges of the bunkers, but they had a much cleaner look during my round. The pros werent plugging too many balls in the Senior PGA last year... lame.

Man, 240 or 260. It's worth that all day everyday and twice on Sundays...haha. Romero plugged one on a hole and made a 11 or something of that sort last year in the Senior PGA (that from our caddy) and either he made a huge stink or the PGA just didn't like seeing one of their senior studs taking a huge number. The grass will really take away from the course, because the bunkers point you toward the greens in a sense. And with grass in them on the walls, they will not look right. Naturally the pros will know where to hit the ball, but it will be odd nevertheless. I do believe I will have to go down there and watch, as seeing them play that course would be a blast. :)

That was the only gator we saw, though our caddy was telling us about some tard a few weeks beforehand who was teasing one of the gators while standing on the footbridge at 13 (think it's 13, the one that doubles as beach access for residents/guests), and slipped and nearly fell in on top of the gator...hahahaha.

Thanks for the review and pics. The Ocean course is on my "hope to play, someday" list for sure.

How do you rank it among the other top courses you have played?

#1. Depending on the list you look at, I've played about 10 of the top 100 public courses in the US. Before this one, Harbour Town was the winner. But the Ocean Course is truly in a class by itself. Words really can't express (and neither can my pictures) how amazing the place is. It's a really special and I will definitely always remember this round.

My parents live in Charleston and I will be playing the Ocean course next year. This post is making me salivate.

I played Turtle Point in probably the next best thing to free golf. A friend of a friend babysat for the architect of all the clubhouses at Kiawah, so when I was down in Charleston I was able to play Turtle point for $20, the cost of the cart. It was great we were able to pick any tee time on a saturday for any of the courses except the Ocean course.

Thanks for the pics! I have always wanted to do what you did. Go to a wonderful place to play golf, tee it up by myself or with a fellow golfer just as passionate about the game as me and take a caddy.

I have played the Ocean Course twice, it is in my top 5 all time played courses. The pics bring back some great memories of the place!

Thanks again for the post.

Hit them straight!

Hiss

Great pics sounds like a perfect day. I need to get out east and play some golf one of these days. It looks alot better in person than it does in Tiger Woods golf.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

My Dad played there once and shot 130 or something

He plays twice a year for business and get the Ocean Course !!

Killed me when I saw his pics

Thx for sharing, need to get there. Have been all over the East coast but never Kiawah

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I was fortunate enough to play the Kiawah Ocean course about 10 years ago on my first company sponsored awards trip. The entire weekend was paid for including our day at the Ocean Course (I didn't know how much it cost). It was early in my golfing career, so I didn't understand how special Kiawah is or the history that's there.

I was a very surreal experience. It was my first time on the trip so I was stressing over every little thing and I didn't experience the course the way I would today.

Actually, your pictures brought back some vivid images that helped me really appreciate it for the first time.

• the caddy - only time I've ever played with one
  • the tee shot at 17 - the caddy had each of us take a shot from where the pros hit it
  • the gator - very vivid
  • the lunch
  • the ocean
  • the wind
  • the views

NOW I UNDERSTAND the Kiawah thing! Fortunately, I can't remember how poorly I played.

Hopefully I can return some day and appreciate it while I am there.

Thank you!

Reminder to self: Watch BAGGER VANCE again this weekend!

Awesome pics! I was lucky enough as well to play there a few years back. One of the best golfing days of my life. One thing I really remember is how when you turned the corner to head back to the clubhouse, (I think it was 14) how strong the wind was into your face. We were playing the blue tees, but when we got to 17, we had to tee off from the back just to experience it. 240, into the wind, all carry! It doesn't get any better than that. Needless to say I hit in it the water, but it was fun anyways. Glad to hear you had a great time!