First kid due in March

DoctorPal

How much (little?) golf can I expect?
My wife is due March 18. This is our first and we're both super-excited, but we're also apprehensive. Obviously there will be a myriad of changes that neither of us can fully anticipate at this point and one of those changes will involve my game.

I fully expect that my golf days will drop off significantly over the next while as I will be the primary caregiver during the summers. I am a college prof and will have the summers off to hang out with my little dude and any future little dudes or dudettes. I've been able to play 2-3 days/week in the past and know that this might not be possible until the kids are much older. Fine with me. From what I hear about the joys of parenthood, I probably won't even miss playing that much. And while I can hardly wait to be a father, I'm also wondering if it is too much to expect to be able to play once a week. My wife and I agree that we should each have one day per week where we can each do "our thing"; for me, that's golf, for her - gardening.

Is this reasonable, or are we kidding ourselves? More precisely - am I kidding MYSELF that I'll be able to play fairly regularly? I know if you're on here, you love your golf and, if you have them, you love your kids. I'd appreciate any advice about how to achieve a happy balance. Thanks.

Bryce

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats. My 2nd is also due March 20th. Now for the first month or so you don't even want to talk about golf. Your wife's hormones are still running strong and you don't want any flying objects being hurled at you. I think you can still find time for golf. Maybe not a full 18 round 2-3 times a week, but you can probably squeeze in 9 holes before/after work here and there. Enjoy your new baby first for a month or two and see what your new schedule will look like then. It'll start getting dark later by late spring, early summer, so that'll help.

Golf related - I don't get 18 in like I used to, but I do mange 9 a good bit. agree with the above poster don't think about golf for awhile, but it will come back!

Non golf related - as an expecting parent you are getting your head filled wilth advice from everybody and thier brother, but most of it you can't really relate to it as you haven't been there yet. that being said, let me pass along the best advice I got as an expectant dad:

"Whatever bad people say about new kids, that they cry alot and crap alot and are demanding (all true by the way)...take all of that and divide it by 100 - it's not thaaaat bad and in the big picture doesn't last that long. It is over before you know it.

Whatever good people say about babies, that they are precious when they smile, they giggle, they're just plain cute (again, all true) take all that and multiply it by 1000000. you have no idea how wonderful and amazing this journey is, but you will so congratualtions"

i have two kids and probably play once a week, if you have an understanding wife and manage your time well you could probably play a little more. priorities change and with kids thats a good thing, as mine have gotten older we go to the driving range and chip and putt...it's alot of fun and has helped my short game a ton. good advice about buying that new gear now tho!! congratulations and good luck!

Bryce,

First off….Congratulations to you and the wife! :yahoo:

My wife and I had twin sons twelve years ago this month and another son just over one year later and life does change a great deal. We did not due as much for ourselves, so to speak because of the time required with being a parent. That being said, the activities we enjoyed before kids are now adapted to the kids and we enjoy them that much more.

I started playing golf just prior to being a father and chose to spend most of my free time with the kids instead of the course. Really being with them at the early stages of life was more fun to me than being anyplace else. A bought the kids a set of Nike Junior clubs and let them follow me and a select few friends around on the local 9-hole when they got big enough. They would tee off with us and then drop with the closet person to the hole and so on.

Now fast forward a couple of years and they have a bag of Adams, my favorite wedge and want to use my driver with the thought that today is the day they finally driver over the water on the par-5. Only one son really has shown a desire to play very much, with the other two happy to play the Wii, X-Box, baseball, and what-not. But I can tell you that one of the greatest joys in life is to play golf with your child and him inform you that "you are still away Dad!"

Mike

First, congrats. Best thing you can ever do. The first 29 years are the worst.

How much golf you play depends on the situation, obviously. All children are different and some demand more attention then others. That amount of attention will determine how much work you have to put in... and how tired you will be on your day off.

It's great that you both decided to give each other a day off. I wish you luck on sticking with that... My wife and I decided the same thing... I've been waiting 10-1/2 years for my day off! (Just kidding.) In reality, you'll get days off, but you may not be able to schedule it week after week- you may have to take it as it comes, especially once the little darling starts getting playdates, birthday parties, etc. In the beginning, they're actually pretty easy- they just lay there and drool. You'll spend the first two years teaching them to walk and talk, then the rest of their childhood telling them to sit down and be quiet.

But now that mine is almost 11, we really enjoy our weekends golfing together. He's actually been playing longer than me. Best decision I ever made was to take the game up myself. If you're lucky enough to get a decent golfer for a kid, the dividend of all that work a few years down the road will be that you will be giving your wife all the days off so you can play golf with your kid. She'll look at it like you're babysitting, you'll get the day to play golf with him/her. Then, if you're lucky, she'll give you another day off to play with your buddies... but that's a topic for a different thread.

Have two more after this- build your own foresome!

Good luck, you're about to walk through a door into an amazing part of life.

Don't worry guys, life's not over. I have a one and a half year old and I've been playing more golf than ever.

My advice is to have plenty of help around for the first month after the little guy's born. You may not be getting much sleep, but it all gets better as he gets older.

Start looking for day-nannies or if you're lucky, have relatives or grandparents pitch in and watch him for a couple days a week. You just need a solid 6 hours (from leaving the house to coming back) to sneak a round in and I'm sure any good grandparents, especially on the wife's side, would be happy to help out their daughter & play with their grandbabies.

The trade-off could be just a lack of sleep but things will eventually get back to normal. Make sure to start interviewing nannies early so you and your wife can have a regular day off. Good luck and enjoy the experience!

I have a 3 and 6 year old and we had twins in March.

I ONLY got to play 38 NEW golf courses this year. I guess I am lucky, huh?

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Congrats, nothing in the world is better than being a father!

Now as far as golf, I would not even worry about playing golf for the first three months or so, because you will choose sleep over it. The hardest thing to adjust to is your sleep cycle. Your wife will take some time to adjust to motherhood, and it may be overwhelming to her, so to lay the foundation for future golf, be understanding and helpful to her. Right now I am balancing time to play golf which usually means 2-4 times per month, and I have a 7 year old, an 18 month old, and a three month old. When my last daughter was born I did not play for two weeks prior and over a month after. Just ask yourself if golf is more important than you family. There is time for golf, but sometimes I would just rather stay at home with my kids and enjoy their company because I am away from them all week at work. Once they get to 1-2 years old, then you will have ample time to go and play.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

You're having your first child and you're worried if you're going to be able to play golf as often as you do now???

Joking aside (and there are soooo many possible ones here!)... you have to be yourself before you can be a good parent.

Of course, there are life changes- there better be 'cause the little ones come first. But if your mind is always drifting off to the things you are prevented from doing, you can start to resent the kids- and that's not healthy for anyone.

Yup- he's a golfer expecting his first kid. It is perfectly valid at some point to question how he is going to be able to fit golf in. I'm sure he and his wife have discussed all the other things that having a kid entails, but I'm equally sure he won't discuss those things here on GolfWRX- all you're seeing is the golf discussion (and rightfully so).

as a father to be myself.... it is not that we are thinking of losing golf, we're really thinking about an addition to the family! People here are looking into the question too much...

We simply are curious as to how much time we will be able to spend golfing... our newly 2nd favorite thing in life. (wife and newborn tied for first) =)

My wife is due March 18. This is our first and we're both super-excited, but we're also apprehensive. Obviously there will be a myriad of changes that neither of us can fully anticipate at this point and one of those changes will involve my game.

I fully expect that my golf days will drop off significantly over the next while as I will be the primary caregiver during the summers. I am a college prof and will have the summers off to hang out with my little dude and any future little dudes or dudettes. I've been able to play 2-3 days/week in the past and know that this might not be possible until the kids are much older. Fine with me. From what I hear about the joys of parenthood, I probably won't even miss playing that much. And while I can hardly wait to be a father, I'm also wondering if it is too much to expect to be able to play once a week. My wife and I agree that we should each have one day per week where we can each do "our thing"; for me, that's golf, for her - gardening.

Is this reasonable, or are we kidding ourselves? More precisely - am I kidding MYSELF that I'll be able to play fairly regularly? I know if you're on here, you love your golf and, if you have them, you love your kids. I'd appreciate any advice about how to achieve a happy balance. Thanks.

Bryce

I think you have it bass-ackwards. YOU will comport to her/his schedule (eating and sleeping) more than she/he will comport to yours in the first month or two....but as she gets older, imho, in about 3 months - IMHO - have her change her life to fit your schedule, not hers. Otherwise you're screwed. :-)

That being said- I took a year off from work when our daughter was born. My MIL came and lived with us for the 1st month - and I wasn't really needed. I played about 22 times the first month my daughter was born. Then after a month, she came out to the golf course and rode in a cart for the first time and during that and the next 2 seasons we played a bunch of 9 hole rounds where dad would play the front (mom and baby 1/2 way up the fairway out of range but not close enough to bother the foursome) and we switched on the back 9; and vice versa. Daughter is now 6 and still loves to ride around on the weekends. Finally taking lessons and seems to like golf.

My job allows me to play most of my golf during the week - and have played about 3 times a week during the golf season. Weekends are once or twice - and the kids still rides around. She will be 7 in January - so soccer and basketball, and ballet, and tae kwon do will cut into the weekend. Play during the week to play the most, imho.

Hope this helps - and congrats!

You're having your first child and you're worried if you're going to be able to play golf as often as you do now???

Joking aside (and there are soooo many possible ones here!)... you have to be yourself before you can be a good parent.

Granted it's a golf forum, but pardon me (and the editing), this has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. When you have children, a good parent dedicates him or herself in placing that child as their number one priority and concern. "Being yourself" gets put on the back burner until you both have full confidence that the child is developing with the common sense and upbringing that will lead him/her down a path of growth and wisdom.

My wife and I have two children; our son is now 25 and our daughter is 22. We had our good days and bad, but we were more interested in making sure that they both had clothes on their back, food on the table, an ear to listen to their problems and help them understand the world then (and now) and share the wisdom of our lessons learned.

Maybe the world has changed. Maybe that's the problem. My wife and I led our lives for our children. Now that they're grown and off on their own with their own lives, their own jobs, their own responsibilities, we can worry about ourselves again. We accomplished our mission; one which is eternal and passed down through the ages.

Oh yeah, and my golfing started again in earnest when my son (and then my daughter) wanted to go to the range and hit balls. Golf shared is golf nirvana.

Of course a good parent dedicates him/herself to their kid and their needs first- I never suggested otherwise. I'm not going to get into a parenting discussion on a golf forum (I'm kicking myself now for even getting involved in it)- but a person who has interests and desires and completely puts those off AFTER their kids needs are taken care of, is not, IMO, not a complete person.

If you're a stamp collector, I'm not saying to collect stamps while your kid screams in the corner... take care of your kids needs first, then go collect stamps during nap time.

When my son was born my wife and I did all the same things we were doing before he was born... where appropriate we included him. Golf wasn't in the picture at the time, but I'm sure we would have found a way that was in everyone's best interests if it were.

If you give up things for the sole reason that you had children, I think you run the risk of feeling unfulfilled- but that's just me.

There are 10,000 more ways to parent, successfully, than there are parts to a golf swing, so I'm sure your mileage has varied from mine. But you know what- I have an honor roll kid who hits a pretty good drive and plays some baseball... he's pretty well rounded, and I never gave up anything.

First congrats! When my son was born, it definately amounted to less golf, but it was a good trade. But now my son is of the age where he sees me and imitates my swing (but somehow he's better at my swing than I am). He wants to get out there and play. That will hopefully amount to more playing time once I include him.

If you make an effort to help mom out, she'll give you leeway to go play, I'm sure.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

In all seriousness, it depends on the relationship balance between you and your wife.

I happen to be lucky. I play once a weekend, and try to make it as early as possible to have the rest of the day (noon onward) for the family, etc. Wife has no problem with this, as long as I don't make noise dragging my clubs out of the garage at 6am.

I think as my kid hits 'soccer age', the situation will change because sports will be on the weekends and really dig into my golf schedule.

I think I'm good for the 1st 5 years though. Then, who knows?

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

As said, depends on your relationship with your wife, and the demands on your new child.

I know guys that are lucky to play 5 rounds in the year, while others like myself managed to sneak in about 80-90 rounds. Early morning golf before work, and early weekend golf where I'm back home before noon.

Granted I don't spend much time after rounds at the club, just go in for a quick pop and back home.

Also no naps watching golf when I get back from home anymore....I chose to play early golf, and I know my time after 12:00pm is for family. So if the family is up, I'm fully engaged with them. (only fair)

I also found I didn't practice as much either....in the past I'd got to the course and practice for a hour or so after work before I head home.....now I can't wait to get home to hang out with the family.

But no complaints here, I know I'm pretty fortunate to be in the situation I am, so even if my golf game isn't quite as sharp...I'm happy to be able to play as much as I do.

I also have a VERY understanding wife (she golfs as well, actually she got to play about 1-2x/week after she got the green light from the doc). And our baby is super happy/content. I'd imagine if our little girl was colic....my golf time would be cut drastically.

However I find that you MUST do your fair share to help out around the house and more if you can....it really goes a long way. Less stress for mom = less grief when you want to do your thing.

That being said, it also goes both ways. You have to be willing to give your wife "days off" to spend time with her friends/shop/whatever she does so it doesn't seem like a one way street where you are able to do your "fun things" while she's isn't. (This of course is in addition to the family time you all should be spending together).

Like I said, it all depends on your wife and your child.....but we are firm believers that although your life will most certainly change, it shouldn't have to end.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

Some good thoughts mixed in this thread along with some who ought to engage brain before putting keyboard in gear. :russian_roulette:

To whomever said "that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard..." you ought to keep in mind that what works or does not work for YOU does not apply to everyone else. Every father is different. Every mother is different. Every child is different. Every relationship between husband and wife is different.

We had our first one year ago next week. Did I play less golf over the past year than I would have? Sure. But did I still play plenty of golf? Yes. My wife and I agree that it is important for both of us to stay involved in things that we enjoy - outside of being full-time parents. Make sure that you communicate about this and do what works FOR YOU.

Ergo, this means that my wife still encourages me to go play golf. Even when our son was only a couple weeks old, she knew I had to get out of the house for a few hours and she asked (heck, she flat out ordered :D ) me to go play golf. I encourage her to continue her hobbies. We continue to have do things with our son (taking him hiking in the stroller, to the park with the dog, to outdoor festivals, etc. and without him (occasional nights out at dinner and a jazz club, trips to the museum, dance classes, golf rounds, etc.) We feel that it is important to maintain our own personalities and interests.

Before Mr. Sanctimonious says this is the "dumbest thing he has ever heard" and insinuates that we're bad parents because we continue to be ourselves, let me be crystal clear - this approach works FOR US. Your results may and likely will vary.

My advice is to make absolutely sure that you and your wife talk about interests outside of parenting. Listen to your own conscience - you will probably not want to play golf as much, but if and when you do, then work it out with your wife and make sure that she gets plenty of "her time" to do what she wants.

Good luck and hearty congratulations.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Hey congratulations on having your first child. It truly is an amzing event in your life, and will change EVERYTHING about you.

My little guy was born 10 weeks premature. 3.11 lbs. Stayed in the NICU for 4 weeks. It was great when I finally was able to bring him home, but kept wondering "what do I do now"? lol

For me personally, I decided to shut it down for the first couple years of my son's life. In my preofession, we are extremly social people, and love hanging out with each other. Playing golf is one of them. Just ask Truck13A. But since this was going to be our only child, I didn't want to miss anything. Did I worry about playing folf? Absolutely, because for me it is a way to decompress after a hard day at the station, or family stress.

I also only play 9 holes late in the evening. I found I would lose focus and desire to play if it was more than 9 holes, cause I would miss the little guy. And truly, the time I do go play and practice, I make the most of it because it's all I get.

My wife gets me, that's why we are married. She knows it's important for me to decompress and enjoy who I am, just like I know how important it is for her to go her houseboat trip for 5 days every July.

Enjoy your child, love him/her, do everything you can for your wife the first few months (trust me, it pays dividends in the future) and try not to let the baby slide off the bed and land on his head. (guilty)

Congrats on the upcoming little one! Your life will change for the better. Your love will grow so much...

After you guys get settled in with your new baby, there will be time for golf. Tell your wife when you get back from golf she can have a nap and you will do some laundry. (And let her have some time too, of course, to do her stuff). It will all work out.

After I had a baby and then had another one 2 years later, all I wanted to do was sleep and all I wanted was someone to clean my house!

Having a baby is a big deal. It is normal to be thinking about how this new little person will affect your life. I think it is good to talk about these feelings, rather than hide them away. The new baby will affect your work life, your relationship with your wife, your relationship with your friends. Change is good.

Now my husband and our 2 girls have our own foursome!

I have a 5 year old, and our second child is due on March 14th. I have seen no tightening of my golf schedule since the first 2 months or so of my daughter's life. Granted, if I have to be around for something my daughter wants or needs, then there's no decision to be made, she always comes first. However, I think it has been really good for her to see one of her parents enjoy a hobby as much as I enjoy golf. She is great about asking me questions about it and taking a part in it whenever she can. She has come to watch me play in tournaments, she loves to come to the range with me and shag balls, and she really enjoys watching me practice. I think it's very healthy for a child to watch their parents enjoy themselves doing the things they love to do, and it's even healthier for the parents to see their children take an interest in those things. She has no interest in playing, but she thinks it's cool to see her daddy enjoy something so much, and I think she appreciates my inviting her along. It's really neat to see her take an interest in it, even though she doesn't really want to play. She has a ball tagging along with me, and makes the game even more enjoyable when she's around. You are in for one hell of a ride, and golf or no golf, you will enjoy it. If I never picked up another club, I'd be fine spending time with her doing other things. It's different for everyone, and I got very lucky. I think the most important thing is not to forget how much you enjoy the game, but at the same time you have to make sure your kid(s) know that they come first.

PING G430 LST 9*, Ventus Black TR 7X
PING G425 14.5*, Ventus Blue 8X
PING iCrossover 18*, Ping Tour 85X
PING i230 4-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X7
Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 60
Ping PLD

I'd like to thank everyone for the comments, advice, and even what some people have considered "sanctimonious" missives. I think I know what the gentleman meant when he wrote what he wrote and took no offense. I fully expect my golf to drop off, so if and when it does, I'll be fine. If the quantity and quality of my golf somehow remains the same, then I'll be quite pleasantly surprised. I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one to ever go through this.

I'm blessed with one of the most understanding wives in the world when it comes to golf. She has never once questioned my choice to play golf on any particular day because most of the time, I play while she's working and it never cuts into "our" time. She works a lot of hours as a doc and because of my teaching schedule, I can play golf during the day in the middle of the week. Also because of my schedule, I do 90% of the cooking and other domestic duties - so I guess she's blessed, too. That balance will probably change a bit once the baby comes, but there is no question that we'll continue to strive to give each other what we need in order to be happy as both a couple and as individuals - it just doesn't work otherwise.

Obviously my wife's and my priority will be our kids - no question about it. Whether or not I play more or less golf is something I am thinking about now because I'm thinking about EVERYTHING now - best car seat, names, colors to paint the nursery, child-care options, which language will I speak with them at home, how the hell I'm going to pay for college, and how long he'll be grounded when he wrecks his first car. Golf is pretty far down on the list - but it IS on the list.

A common thread in many of the comments is that things will change - uh, yeah, I figured as much - and that those changes are overwhelmingly positive. We're simultaneously excited and freaked. But, to use a metaphor we can all understand, my wife and I will just play it as it lies...

First of all congratulations!

I am glad you brought this up. I am the father of two (1 and 3 years old) I play golf as often as I can. (sometimes twice a week, sometimes not at all) My wife is very understanding about it, as she knows that golf is one of the many important things in my life. This doesnt mean that my marriage, children or spiritual life take a back seat, but it is very important to me. My wife has taken flack on occasion from her friends about my golfing. Golf is the one thing in my life that always puts me in a better mood. Without golf, I would be a pretty miserable guy indeed, even with a beautiful wife and kids. Just try to fit it in when you can and if its the truth, let your wife know that it may make you a better husband and father to get some "me" time, just make sure you recriprocate with her. Again congrats! Also, Get used to early tee times.

I've got one at 18 mo and another on the way. My wife knows that golf is important to me, and I still get to play, though not as much as before. Think about how to have short and efficent sessions of golf, rather than spending lots of time. It can actually increase the quality of your practice since you don't have hours to 'scrape and smash' through endless and thoughtless bags of range balls... Make sure Mom has time for her thing too and you'll figure it out.

I think it's important to make sure you have time for yourself. I absolutely disagree with rudder. While I agree that my family/children are my number one priority, they aren't my ONLY priority. I run a successful business, spend quality time with the family, and golf a fair bit. It doesn't have to be 'all or none'. I want my kids to see that too so that they can develop this 'balance' in their own lives.