2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Need Kohler Trip Advice

Anyone know a way to get a discount?
My group has decided to take our annual golf trip this year to Kohler. I'm not looking for advice on what courses to play or anything like that, we'll play the 4 courses at the resort. This may be a stupid question, but does anyone know of a way to get a discount there? As I'm sure everyone knows, their pricing is rather high. Given the economic conditions, do you think there is a chance they may offer some discounts this year? Is there a local WRXer in the Kohler area that knows of any deals?

This may be a total shot in the dark but I am hoping to save a few bucks off their rates. I'm not expecting someone to respond and say, "sure, I can save you half off, no problem" just thought maybe someone on the board was aware of an unadvertised special of some sort.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When are you going?

I don't remember the actual amount, but the rate that I got in May was significantly better than the rates in the middle of the summer. Since their actual season is so short, I think getting any "deal" there is unlikely.

BTW, if you have an extra day or extra time for another round of golf I highly recommend The Bull at Pinehurst Farms (www.golfthebull.com).

I'm from the area but live elsewhere now. If you fly me home, I'll get ya a discount. :man_in_love: (My dad actually works at Kohler Co.)

On a more realistic note. It really depends on the time of year you play. I don't think there are any discounts for the Straits course, but the others, especially Blackwolf Run, offer good fall rates. I'm not sure what they offer for spring rates. It's been awhile since I've golfed at any of the courses being away from there for almost 4 years now.

Going in May is your best bet. You roll the dice on weather but save a few bucks. I went in 2006 in mid may and we had a great trip. Good luck and enjoy the best golf course in America.

Johnny tells it like it is about rolling the dice on the weather. I was there Memorial Day weekend. Most of the week I was there it was in the 60's or even low 70's, but the night before I played it, a very strong front came through and ended up playing with 50 MPH winds and the temperature never got over 45 degrees.

Not sure about Kohler, but in general the more people on your trip the more the price is up for negotiation. I am involved with a trip that usually has 16-20 guys in a Ryder Cup-type format that is a Wednesday to Sunday trip. With our trip a resort's posted price becomes the starting point of the negotiation. If you are going to have organized dinners, etc., most resorts will really want you to come as the guys will be spending $$ at the spa, pro shop, bar, etc. OUr experience (going on 13 years) is that the resorts will cut into their premium on the rooms/golf in order to get a whole bunch of guys isloated at their resort spending money. With some of the resorts with a decent sized group, the resort will even give you an event coordinator who is on call for your group 24/7 to make sure everything goes smooth.

I think with the economy as bad as it is, there will be even more incentive for resorts to cut deals for groups like this. Do they want you to come or go somewhere else? But, like anything, the more people you have the more power you will have to negotiation.

We are also thinking about Kohler this year, what is the safest time of year weather-wise to come. Our trip is usually mid- to late-May. Is June safe? We are a bunch of weather wimps from Texas. Wind doesn't bother us, but we don't do cold.

We are also thinking about Kohler this year, what is the safest time of year weather-wise to come. Our trip is usually mid- to late-May. Is June safe? We are a bunch of weather wimps from Texas. Wind doesn't bother us, but we don't do cold.

If you don't do cold, avoid May. Its generally okay, but in May you still have the chance of following a 70* day with a 35* day....and given that Kohler is right on the lake their weather changes more often and more quickly. May is also fairly wet, though not as bad as June.

It seems like every June, we have a few weeks where it does nothing but rain. This year we had two weeks of severe rain that led to massive flooding throughout the area. Kohler drains well because it's on the lake, but you probably don't want to come all the way up here to play in the rain...and most of those days the course would have been closed because of lightning.

In general, July-September are your best bets weather wise.

We are planning to go in early September. We only have a foursome, so we wouldn't qualify for any group discount, but thanks for that suggestion.

Big A HG, our 4th is pretty squirrely and often subject to dropping out. If you're available to play in early September and can save us enough cash, we might be interested in flying you in and having you join us. Seriously.

We are planning to go in early September. We only have a foursome, so we wouldn't qualify for any group discount, but thanks for that suggestion.

Big A HG, our 4th is pretty squirrely and often subject to dropping out. If you're available to play in early September and can save us enough cash, we might be interested in flying you in and having you join us. Seriously.

Sounds like a ton of fun, but I don't think it would be worth it to you guys. My plane ticket would probably only break you guys even. Enjoy the trip though. Bring some extra balls (I think Pete Dye has stock in the ball market).

You'll get better weather consistently at Blackwolf Run. It could be 70 degrees with 10 mph wind there and 55 with 30 mph wind at Whistling Straits at the same time thanks to the lake. This isn't always the case, but can happen.

I remember at the PGA Championship at Whistling in 2004 it was like 40-45 degrees during the Tuesday and Wednesday practice rounds. That changed quickly for the tournament where it was 70-80 degrees, but it can happen. That low of temps is very rare even in Wisconsin, but come prepared.

If you want a cheap lunch or something, there's a place in Sheboygan you have to go to called the Charcoal Inn. It's a little hole-in-the-wall joint and you'll be lucky to find it even with directions because you aren't a local, but they have, by far, the best steak sandwich you'll ever eat (bring your Lipitor).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.