2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Putter problem...ball airborne

volrus

Guys, I have a recurring problem with my putter. Many times when I stroke a putt the ball will leave the ground right off the putter face. I've had my loft checked and it's fine. I use an Odyssey #9 so it doesn't have as much offset as other putters. Is it possible that I'm catching the ball on the upswing and this could be caused by lack of offset. If this is the answer it gives me a good reason to go putter shopping! Or is it that I've got the ball too far up in my stance? It drives me nuts because I have to account for this when putting and sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orrrrrr....go buy a new putter with more offset....yeah, that should solve the problem! Do most of you putter junkies buy your putters from retail or elsewhere? I really like the Ping Zing Redwood, anybody have any experience with it? Actually, now that I think about it, I thing it has the same offset as my Odyssey 9.

Moving the ball back a bit should fix that problem. Have you ever had a SAMM Fitting? That would show you exactly what is going on.

It sounds like you are catching it right as you start your upswing, giving it a little bit of a pop.

-Chris

p/s/ Buying a new putter can also help. LOL

You are actually hitting down on the putt, try keeping the putter lower to the ground on backswing

That's my theory as well. The backspin rotation makes it pop and skip.

Odyssey's stink...get anything else, in my opinion. Anything....

Actually swinging low to high on putts actually helps, hitting up on it helps lift the ball out of its natural depression. But hopping and skidding can be attributed to many things. Obviously if the putter was fitted as you say and then this barely arose, it could be the Indian not the arrow. Irregularities in stroke are probably to blame, as they usually are for everybody. Also as quoted above can be the problem too. Also the #9 is extremely toe heavy, is your stroke gated?

And as for the second quote, anything that comes from odyssey IMO stinks as well.

TM R9 SuperTri TP 8.5° FujiMotoreF1-S
Ping Isi 3W 15°
Adams Super 17° Voodooo S
Ping i20 4-PW CFS-X
TM TP-Y 52°, Nike Vr 56° 60°
Yes! Madison 34" SS Flatso

Get a RIFE!

Post 9-10 likely nailed it. Where do you position the ball at address? Hitting down on the ball is a good way to pop the ball up with back spin. But I also would venture you miss on the left side of the cup more than the right due to your left wrist hinging or breaking down as noted above.

If you want back spin on you putts, putt with your wedge.

But if you want to go buy another putter and just wanted permission from the gang then you're good to go.

Glen Coombe
The Putting Doctor “Retired!”
Level 3 SAM PuttLab Instructor
Carribean Represemtative SAM Sports
Creator of Perfection Platforms
Http://puttingdoctor.net

Get a RIFE!

Post 9-10 likely nailed it. Where do you position the ball at address? Hitting down on the ball is a good way to pop the ball up with back spin. But I also would venture you miss on the left side of the cup more than the right due to your left wrist hinging or breaking down as noted above.

If you want back spin on you putts, putt with your wedge.

But if you want to go buy another putter and just wanted permission from the gang then you're good to go.

Thanks everyone for your input. To be honest, I don't know much about my putting stroke. I've just always done what felt right. A couple of things I do know are 1) I play the ball up on my front big toe and don't really see how I could be hitting down on the ball with it up so far in front, and 2) I THINK I have a pendulum stroke...at least that's what it feels like.

I'm an 8 handicap and I'm starting to realize that to go lower I'm going to have to pay more attention to the intricacies of my swing (both putter and other clubs). To this point in my life I've just relied on a natural swing. I've never had a lesson in my life, but I managed to get myself to about a 4 handicap in my younger days but just don't play enough to maintain that anymore.

If my stroke were a pendulum what type of putter would be good for that? Would an Anser/Zing/MyDay style be good? I'm not 100% sure I know the difference between pendulum and gated by the way.

Saying you play the ball on your front big toe is kind of vague. How wide is your stance? If your stance is really narrow, that ball position could be OK. If you have a wider stance, that sounds too far forward. A better measurement would be where do you play the ball in relation to your eyes/head/trunk.

I have about a shoulder width stance and play it below my front left shoulder (I'm right handed).

Volrus, try this. Find a hardwood floor or tile floor with a line you can imagine to be your target line extended both fore and aft. Position your putter in your stance and waggle back and forth from the target line. Watch for departure from the line. If your putter starts back and moves inside and does the same on follow through it could be said that your putter stroke is inside to inside or gated. If your putter moves straight back on the line or close to it then we could be looking at a straight back straight through.

Do move the putter back in your stance. Let's start with the putter in the middle of your stance. Use a mirror on a wall to check that your putter shaft is in line with your trouser fly. With your ball just ahead of the putter face try that position or a bit forward for a bit and see if this doesn't change your launch angle.

BTW head up looking in a full length mirror will also give you an idea of what your stroke looks like. Solid posture with your balance in your quads and only your shoulders rocking should give you a very smooth putting stroke if you divorce your hands from the process.

Glen Coombe

Volrus, try this. Find a hardwood floor or tile floor with a line you can imagine to be your target line extended both fore and aft. Position your putter in your stance and waggle back and forth from the target line. Watch for departure from the line. If your putter starts back and moves inside and does the same on follow through it could be said that your putter stroke is inside to inside or gated. If your putter moves straight back on the line or close to it then we could be looking at a straight back straight through.

Do move the putter back in your stance. Let's start with the putter in the middle of your stance. Use a mirror on a wall to check that your putter shaft is in line with your trouser fly. With your ball just ahead of the putter face try that position or a bit forward for a bit and see if this doesn't change your launch angle.

BTW head up looking in a full length mirror will also give you an idea of what your stroke looks like. Solid posture with your balance in your quads and only your shoulders rocking should give you a very smooth putting stroke if you divorce your hands from the process.

Thanks, I'll try it. I can confirm that I have a pendulum/back and forth stroke and not gated based on what you describe. In fact, if anything it goes a little outside on the back swing.

A lot of great info here.

I too had a similar issue years ago. The ball popping up especially on puts in the 35-45ft range, where speed is key.

I have yet to, but to find real answers I think that a SAMM fitting is in order.

Three things have helped me out.

1. Ball positioning

2. Higher MOI putter

3. Grooved Faced putter

1. The ball is never where you think it is. Align some clubs on the ground to figure it out, or have a partner see where it is. Hands must hang under shoulders with ball under or slightly outside eyeline.

2. Bite the bullet and get a putter with the weight in the back.

3. They work. They get the ball rolling without the backspin.

RIFE has worked the best for me and with their pre-engineered .5* shaft kickback, the shaft points back to your right eye without adding loft.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

A lot of great info here.

I too had a similar issue years ago. The ball popping up especially on puts in the 35-45ft range, where speed is key.

I have yet to, but to find real answers I think that a SAMM fitting is in order.

Three things have helped me out.

1. Ball positioning

2. Higher MOI putter

3. Grooved Faced putter

1. The ball is never where you think it is. Align some clubs on the ground to figure it out, or have a partner see where it is. Hands must hang under shoulders with ball under or slightly outside eyeline.

2. Bite the bullet and get a putter with the weight in the back.

3. They work. They get the ball rolling without the backspin.

RIFE has worked the best for me and with their pre-engineered .5* shaft kickback, the shaft points back to your right eye without adding loft.

You hit the nail on the head...the problem is always with the 35' and greater putts. What is a "putter with the weight in the back"? Is it an Anser syle putter? What is a grooved face putter? Are you talking Yes! or Rife style putter or will any milled putter qualify? What is a higher MOI putter? I know everything about irons and woods, but next to nothing about putters...as you can see by my many questions!

You hit the nail on the head...the problem is always with the 35' and greater putts. What is a "putter with the weight in the back"? Is it an Anser syle putter? What is a grooved face putter? Are you talking Yes! or Rife style putter or will any milled putter qualify? What is a higher MOI putter? I know everything about irons and woods, but next to nothing about putters...as you can see by my many questions!

Sorry, I guess I may not have explained my thoughts correctly.

A putter with more weight back in the head, (Trailing edge, opposite face) will in my experience create less back spin.

Moving the weight to the extremities also raises a putter's MOI (Moment of Inertia). This creates more forgiveness by reducing the clubhead's twiting on off center hits resulting in better distance control.

Grooved face putters include, RIFE, Yes!, Rossa AGSI+, Nickent Pipe II. Designed with grooves intended to lift the ball off of the putting surface without imparting backspin.

If you like the anser style you could look at the RIFE Tour 2-Bar Hybrid Blade or PIPE II PP/04.

SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

II[/b]e='Dec 9 2008, 05:12 PM']Grooved face putters include, RIFE, Yes!, Rossa AGSI+, Nickent Pipe. Designed with grooves intended to lift the ball off of the putting surface without imparting backspin.

The Nickent Pipe does not have grooves on the face at all...it is a smooth "P" insert as te call it.

Nickent Pipe II

Alternating Groove Technology.

http://www.nickentgolf.com/newweb/pr_pu-pipe.shtml

Come on, you are the NC Nickent Guy! :drinks:

SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

II[/b]e='Dec 9 2008, 05:12 PM']Grooved face putters include, RIFE, Yes!, Rossa AGSI+, Nickent Pipe. Designed with grooves intended to lift the ball off of the putting surface without imparting backspin.

The Nickent Pipe does not have grooves on the face at all...it is a smooth "P" insert as te call it.

Nickent Pipe II

Alternating Groove Technology.

http://www.nickentgolf.com/newweb/pr_pu-pipe.shtml

Come on, you are the NC Nickent Guy! :drinks:

Ah...you are correct about the Pipe II and I knew that because I like that insert much better; however, your original stated the Pipe...sorry to nit pick. :busted2: :friends: I really like the original Pipe except for that darn P-insert. It is too hard for me to get the ball to the hole with that thing. I wish I could get a Pipe with the insert from the Pipe II.

Ah...you are correct about the Pipe II and I knew that because I like that insert much better; however, your original stated the Pipe...sorry to nit pick. :busted2: :friends: I really like the original Pipe except for that darn P-insert. It is too hard for me to get the ball to the hole with that thing. I wish I could get a Pipe with the insert from the Pipe II.

You got me. I have now edited my post. I mentioned the brand different from the model I listed.

I was just kidding as I did not want to admit I made a mistake. :black eye:

I agree with you, I have a center shafted Pipe mallet putter that is great except for the silly grey insert that neither feels great nor rolls the ball any better.

SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

All you Rife guys...I've joined you. I never thought I would like the look of the 2 bar, but I went and putted with a Tour 2 Bar Mallett and fell in love! This could be the best feeling putter I've ever tried. I was there in Golf Galaxy trying out a couple different Scotty's and Redwoods and the guy asked me if I had tried a Rife and I told him I hadn't. He suggested I just try the 2 bar mallett and he convinced. After the 1st three putts I new I had found my putter.

The only thing is this, The headcover kind of sucks. I like the magnet, but it's hard to get the cover onto the putter right.

All you Rife guys...I've joined you. I never thought I would like the look of the 2 bar, but I went and putted with a Tour 2 Bar Mallett and fell in love! This could be the best feeling putter I've ever tried. I was there in Golf Galaxy trying out a couple different Scotty's and Redwoods and the guy asked me if I had tried a Rife and I told him I hadn't. He suggested I just try the 2 bar mallett and he convinced. After the 1st three putts I new I had found my putter.

The only thing is this, The headcover kind of sucks. I like the magnet, but it's hard to get the cover onto the putter right.

Glad to hear you got a RIFE. I'm here to tell you that you're not alone on the head cover issue.

BTW which Galaxy did you purchase your putter in? Was it Cary, NC... Dave the salesman?

Enjoy your new flat stick.

Glen Coombe

Glad to hear you got a RIFE. I'm here to tell you that you're not alone on the head cover issue.

BTW which Galaxy did you purchase your putter in? Was it Cary, NC... Dave the salesman?

Enjoy your new flat stick.

Got it in Brentwood, TN store. Hopefully they come out with a new headcover!

Congrats on a good choice!!

Cannot go wrong with a Rife. Abaco in the bag and Barbados as backup. :man_in_love: