Synr-G First impressions

Totti

First off, I would like to thank Foot Joy and GolfWRX for providing the opportunity for me to get these shoes. I just recieved my new pair of Foot Joy Synr-G shoes and I am very impressed. For now I can only comment from a looks/feel standpoint because its snowing, but once I put them into play im sure I will be equally as impressed with the performance. Im just going to go through things that impressed me about this shoe.

1) the look - this shoe really looks great. they are not too flashy, but have just the right amount of bling for someone who so desires. The main bling factor on this shoe is the lizard print material on the upper, which has a nice sheen to it. I have the white on white version, and the lizard print is a glossy white and stands out just enough. Being a relatively new golfer, I was never interested in wearing a dress shoe to play, but I was also never interested in wearing an athletic sneaker. This shoe has class, but also has a performance based look to it - you know it functions well when you see it.

2) the sole - the bottom of the shoe is just straight up mean, thats really the only way I can describe it. I dont even think this shoe needs spikes, seriously, it has some really rigid pastic spikes protruding out in all directions, many of them look to be functional in one way or another. You can tell alot of thought went into the shoe when there are lateral ridges on the heel presumably to prevent your foot from sliding out. The shoe also has two flex points which make it feel great and flexible on the foot.

3) the feel - the feel on these shoes is butter. Memory foam wrapped around the area where your ankle rubs, as well as on the inside of the tounge. having my foot wrapped in memory foam is an interesting feeling - it is comfortable but at the same time snug - but not the type of snug one gets from a shoe that is to small - the type one gets from a shoe that fits. I really like this feature and im sure it will pay dividends after a long round.

Once again - congrats to all the other winners.

Totti

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the great review. I love the look of these and can't wait to try them.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I will reiterate the points Totti touched on.

Looks

These shoes look pretty good in person. When looking at FootJoy's website I wasn't sure about the black lower part of the shoe, along with the blue and silver triangles (which are the Tri-lateral Stability Frame). I thought they made the shoe look too loud. Now that I have seen and held the shoe myself I have to say its not a bad design at all, and they aren't as loud as I thought they would be.

PICT0775.jpg

PICT0779.jpg

The all smooth white on white lizard is a great looking combination for sure. Looking at the shoe there are three different leather prints used here: smooth, textured, and lizard. The lizard print portions provide great contrast with the rest of the shoe, its almost a hair off white.

The only thing I feel FootJoy could improve on with the look of this shoe is around the collar, where the grey memory foam can still be seen even when the shoe is on. But its definitely not a major issue.

Fit

I tried on every style and size of shoe FootJoy had in stores. I wear a 12 (US) in sneakers and dress shoes, but felt it was very important to make sure I was taking advantage of the technology that FootJoy put in this shoe by getting a proper fit. All the support and stability in the world won't help your swing if you've got too much wiggle room in your shoes. I decided on 11 wide for the shoe, and its a great fit.

The memory foam collar is really comfortable, and my feet seem to melt into this shoe. Of the two pairs of shoes that I have owned previously (footjoy e-comforts and a pair of Nikes), these shoes have felt better out of the box than both of those.

The memory foam collar with the HeelLoc sole.

PICT0782.jpg

I have not had a chance to take some hacks with this shoe on, but looking at the sole of the shoe I can faithfully say this might be one of the best shoes coming to the market in terms of traction. Looks like FootJoy took a cue from a squid's suction cups and put teeth around the spikes on this shoe. It looks and feels downright nasty...but I like it!

The sole

PICT0778.jpg

The "teeth" around the spike itself

PICT0784.jpg

More teeth!

PICT0785.jpg

PICT0786.jpg

More to follow when I actually hit balls with these shoes!

Great pics! Anyone who thinks FJ is being passed in the tech dept. by Nike & Adidas needs to think again.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Great pics! Anyone who thinks FJ is being passed in the tech dept. by Nike & Adidas needs to think again.

well, to be honest, they were. i've always worn only fj and adidas my entire golfing life, with the exception of one pair of ecco i still use in the winter. after a while, i started noticing that, with the exception of one pair of classics dry premiere that i wear when riding, i only wear adidas. the last pair of fj i thought was up to par with adidas was the gel fusion II. i thought that was a way underrated shoe, but still not as good as it's tour 360 counterpart. on the other hand, the reelfits, imho, were a disaster.

all that to say...seemingly up til now. fj definitely has my antennae up once again. lookin' good and i can't wait to see these in person.

well, to be honest, they were. i've always worn only fj and adidas my entire golfing life, with the exception of one pair of ecco i still use in the winter. after a while, i started noticing that, with the exception of one pair of classics dry premiere that i wear when riding, i only wear adidas. the last pair of fj i thought was up to par with adidas was the gel fusion II. i thought that was a way underrated shoe, but still not as good as it's tour 360 counterpart. on the other hand, the reelfits, imho, were a disaster.

all that to say...seemingly up til now. fj definitely has my antennae up once again. lookin' good and i can't wait to see these in person.

While the Tour 360 Ltd. and 360 3.0 look great, IMO, the Ltd. does not have the quality leather that the FJ's have. My friend had his for two months playing twice a week and the leather was so severely creased and cracked around the edges he returned them to the shop. And the 3.0, while it fits great, the sole is extremely stiff and unforgiving. I'm sure a long break in period would fix this but why should it require that?

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

While the Tour 360 Ltd. and 360 3.0 look great, IMO, the Ltd. does not have the quality leather that the FJ's have. My friend had his for two months playing twice a week and the leather was so severely creased and cracked around the edges he returned them to the shop. And the 3.0, while it fits great, the sole is extremely stiff and unforgiving. I'm sure a long break in period would fix this but why should it require that?

haven't tried the 3.0's, so i can't comment on them, only have the II's. but i do have a pair of ltd's and think the quality of leather is top notch. i've only had them for 1 season, but so far, aside from maybe a bit of minor creasing, they've held up just fine...and i only use them for walking. i don't see any of this cracking you speak of, and to be honest, it's the first time i've ever heard of that issue with the ltd's. it's a different kind of leather from my classics premiere, yes, but still high quality and no lesser imo. it is definitely much more supple though. not saying that's better or worse, just different.

but back on topic, i think these new syner-g's are putting them back in a good direction and am eager to give them a tryout.