2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How's the White Hot Tours?

Canuck

why aren't these in more bags?
Picked up an Odyssey White Hot TOUR #5.
Love the quality of the look, finish, weight and balance.

Noticed a number of folks quickly replacing the XG versions as the insert was too soft on the greens.

• How are the TOURs doing in play? Still in the bag?
  • Also, might want to take off a couple of degrees. Can the double bend be adjusted????

Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!

*****(inserted from below)****
I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something. NOTE:I did not get a chance to get on an actual green (winter). Similar to buying a driver from just testing and demoing in a sim.

But to me....

• The Tours have a heavier weight compared to the XG and I'm also guessing earlier Odysseys.Comparable in weight to high end putters at 355 grams in my 34".
  • The balance is something to behold, both feel wise and technically. I double checked the sweet spot and it's bang on in the middle of the head.
  • The combo of weight and balance lends itself to a putter that likes to swing itself and stay on line.
  • The finish is esthetically pleasing, unique and non glaring.
  • The insert is definitely firmer than the XG's that so many complained about.
  • Much better feedback than a YES! and some other popular flatsticks.

All this adds up to a first class putter. To me comparable to any out there and I've played with quite a few over the years. Scotty's, Pings, Bettinardi's.....both blades and mallets.

Is it just a matter of Callaway putting these out at below high end prices giving the impression it's just an "o.k." putter but there are better ones to be had but at a higher price? To me the price had the opposite effect. Why pay more when everything I need, including quality feel and workmanship, seems to be in this package. (just so you know, I always demo and demo.......everything I can get my hands on for weeks before buying. In this case Scotty's to Pings, YES! to Nike......and anything else I could find).

I don't get it because it has all the hallmarks of a very good quality putter.

SO WHY AREN'T I SEEING THESE PUTTERS IN MORE BAGS????? ....especially at this price point?

***edited update: Just want to add if I'd stayed a sbst putter the Tour #5 would still be in the bag.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something. NOTE:I did not get a chance to get on an actual green (winter). Similar to buying a driver from just testing and demoing in a sim.

But to me....

• The Tours have a heavier weight compared to the XG and I'm also guessing earlier Odysseys.Comparable in weight to high end putters at 355 grams in my 34".
  • The balance is something to behold, both feel wise and technically. I double checked the sweet spot and it's bang on in the middle of the head.
  • The combo of weight and balance lends itself to a putter that likes to swing itself and stay on line.
  • The finish is esthetically pleasing, unique and non glaring.
  • The insert is definitely firmer than the XG's that so many complained about.

All this adds up to a first class putter. To me comparable to any out there and I've played with quite a few over the years. Scotty's, Pings, Bettinardi's.....both blades and mallets.

Is it just a matter of Callaway putting these out at below high end prices giving the impression it's just an "o.k." putter but there are better ones to be had but at a higher price? To me the price had the opposite effect. Why pay more when everything I need, including quality feel and workmanship, seems to be in this package. (just so you know, I always demo and demo.......everything I can get my hands on for weeks before buying. In this case Scotty's to Pings, YES! to Nike......and anything else I could find).

I don't get it because it has all the hallmarks of a very good quality putter.

SO WHY AREN'T I SEEING THESE PUTTERS IN MORE BAGS????? ....especially at this price point?

You did include the "but to me" part, so I can't completely discredit you. But to say it had much better feedback than a Yes! is completely subjective. Anyways, the heavier weight is nice over previous Odysseys IMO. The insert is more firm than the XG's, but I still don't like it. The finish just looks cheap to me. Surprisingly enough, they are actually stainless steel putters, I don't know why they didn't just leave them raw. You can fix that part though...strip the finish, bead blast everything, and polish off the sole like this:

(all work done by Black Oxide Service)

CIMG2124.jpg

CIMG2129.jpg

Driver: Ping G30
3-Wood: Ping G30
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges: Scratch 1018
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5

805 thanks for the pics. I totally understand if you don't like inserts, you don't like inserts.

As far as look/finish goes, I have no problem with it. Actually like it. Saw the new Redwoods today and was not impressed with that finish...especially at TWICE THE PRICE.

I get what you guys are getting at. I guess I'm trying to see if there's something wrong with the putter once you get in on a green and considering all the qualities that I see in it, why aren't there more out there? Can't be just the finish...is that worth spending $100+ for?

Outside of finish and the other complaints I have on the White Hot Tours, it's the insert. I really messes with my distance control. It's a great feeling putter within say 5-10 feet just the like newer Black i-Series putters are, but outside of that....for me, the inserts just kill my depth perception. It's a personal opinion. Obviously people like the inserts or they wouldn't produce them, but they're not for me. Not Odysseys anyways. The only insert I can say I like right now is the Cameron Studio Style. Neither here nor there though.

Driver: Ping G30
3-Wood: Ping G30
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges: Scratch 1018
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5

I bought my wife a White Hot Tour #1 for Christmas and I was impressed with it. Nice look and feel along with a good weight at the shorter length.

She bought me the Black i #1 also. There is not alot of difference between the two in puttability (is that a word?) from first impressions.

I like them well enough that I will sell my SC Studio Select Newport 2 before it has ever been hit!

Cobra Fly Z+ Driver
Cobra Fly Z Faiway
TM Aero Burner Hybrid
TM RSi1 4-AW Irons
TM Tour Preferred ATV 56*
SC Fastback 1.5

I play with a college golfer who may add the center-shafted White Hot Tour #2. I have never seen him putt better than he has with this one, and he is a good putter who normally plays with one of severall Mills putters he owns. He putts well with everything, IMO, but rolls the Tour extremely well.

It is a good putter, and it sounds like you made a good choice. For some reason, most people don't pick them up in stores, including me. I don't like inserts, but the Tours don't have a typical insert feel.

Good luck.

No. I've owned both (White Hot and Yes!) and I can tell you the White Hot is dead compared to a non-insert putter.

So have I and the big problem I had with the YES is it's dull/muted feel. For me they are amongst the worst "feeling" putters.

I have the #5 with an IOMIC black grip. I love it. It rolls really well and I have great distance control with the putter.

I also have a Cameron Studio Stainless that I play, but I have far better distance control with the White Hot Tour. I always come up short with the Cameron.

My wife has a Rife Barbados that I might steal. That might be the best putter ever made, in my book. Lot's of PGA/LPGA wins with the Barbados.

I totally get that some of you don't like an insert. Fair enough.

But I noticed that Rocco and his caddy both had insert putters at the weekend skills tourney.

I'll have to wait and see how it works for me once I can get to a real green. I play mainly on faster greens so maybe I'll be o.k. Wait and see.

I have a 34" Tour #1 blade. I like it a lot and it feels realy nice when you hit it dead in the centre BUT feels very different and puts a noticbly different roll on the ball with anything other than pure centre contact.

My fault not the putters.. Just feedback of how it is.

Most putters will react differently when you miss the sweet spot. My worst was a Scotty Pro Platinum. The sweet spot was so small (more like the putter just didn't fit me properly) as I often came up many feet short when lag putting. But that was me, as you said, and not the putter.

I you try the high MOI putters, the sweet spots are larger. But you often sacrifice feel with those.

I have never liked any of the Odyssey white hot series, insert putters. The insert just doesn't feel all that great to me.

I'll stick with my Byrons and C&L putters.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

I got the White Hot Tour #5 as well and to me it's a great feeling putter. And I've been through a bunch...

I actually ended up buying a 2nd one of of 3balls at ebay at the same length. It turned out to be a prototype of the #5 model and looks a tiny bit different than the "real" one. Does anyone have any idea if it's worth something? I prefer the real one over the prototype so I'm selling it soon...

Thanks.

Perhaps I should clarify. Because the sweet spot is a nice, juicy, perfect feeling insert (I much prefer this firmer one over the XG). My main problem in putting tends to be making contact on a slight up stroke.. So I can catch the ball on the bottom face edge of the putter. This is metal. Very very different feel and result as compared to the center. At least with a milled face you get metal in the center, you get metal on the edge.

Like I said its my fault for being a poor putter. Just giving some feedback.

I have a Tour...and an XG hot or whatever it's called

I prefer the slightly firmer feel of the Tour insert and the heavier head weight.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I love my White Hot Tour #5. I love the feel of the insert (but to be fair, I like the XG insert, too). I like the look, the balance...everything. I spend too much time in golf shops. I try new stuff, but nothing comes close to enticing me to make a change. The Barbados comes closest, but I'm really liking my Odyssey now.

I used a Yes Tracy for several years. Nothing bad to say. Just fell out of love. Also had a deadly XG5 Center Shafted, which I still miss.

Putters are so subjective.