Callaway Big Bertha Diablo

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hideous.

Not something I'd even be tempted to try out on the practice ground no matter how it performed.

Really, really horrible. 907D1 horrible. Cleveland VAS horrible.

You get the idea...

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

Unpleasing to my eye. Yuck.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Is it just me, or does the sole of it look like it was inspired by one of those Breville toasted sandwich makers that were so popular in the 1980s?

The ones with the shiny top and the black ridged interior that put patterns on your bread...

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

i hit a few months back with some carlsbad guys that were in town.

ugly as it may be (and it is gawd awful...puke a little in your mouth awful)...

anyway....it's a beast. but it's "Big Bertha" in a new dress. stupid easy to hit. i've gotten over ugly however....i'm bagging an FT-iq for spring. i'm on the i-mix train so i have the FT-9 head on the sidelines.

when is golf season again?

oh and mat....grilled sammies are back in style again...they're called panini's. and they're tasty.

i think i just threw up in my mouth a little :bad:

[b][u]WITB:[/u][/b]

[b]Taylormade M3[/b] 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70-TX tipped 1 1/2 in.

[b]Taylormade SLDR Mini-Driver[/b] 12* Matrix Black 8M3 tipped 1 1/2 in.

[b]Taylormade P790[/b] 2-5i DG Tour Issue X100

[b]Taylormade P730[/b] 6-PW DG Tour Issue X100

[b]Vokey SM8[/b] 54M & 60M

[b]Giannini G-1[/b]

[b]Vice Pro+[/b] [color=#ff0000]Neon Red [/color]

• 2 weeks later...

It has a face only a mother could love. Well only if that mothers name was Rocco

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I had the opportunity to try this driver out this weekend at a demo day. I hit the lite (or whatever Callaway calls senior flex) flex 11 deg draw version first. It is horrible to look at, but easy to hit. Then I hit a regular flex (no lite was available) in the non-draw version. In the non-draw version, the curve is much less pronounced, and the "bump" on the top is straight, not curved. The non-draw version is much easier to look at at address. I should have thought to take a pic of the comparison of the 2!

The Callaway rep told me that this was a great opportunity to buy a Callaway driver at a great price, and I could pre-order one and get it before anyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

From above that looks like my George Foreman grill. El Diablo ? "Its Spanish for fighting chicken" : Ricky Bobby

Ugly with a dumbass name... Callaway shoots and scores. They'll sell a million

Adams 9015D w/Harrison Saga 60S
Callaway XR Pro 4 wood 16* PX 6.0
Callaway Apex Hybrid 18* & 23*
Mizuno MP 15 4-P TTDG S300
Callaway MD3 52* & 58*
Rife Barbados... the best putter ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Callaway has fallen off the deep end. Hate all their woods.

Looking forward to companies going back to smaller more traditional heads. Some these shapes might be better if they were less than 400 cc. Wind drag has to be slowing swing speed down. My new adams driver proved it on the launch monitor. Some of these drivers are bordering on ridiculous.

Just curious as to the voting process being followed, are these votes based on actual performance with the Diablo or just on appearance? I've not had the opportunity to actually hit one yet, and as a result have yet to register in this pole. Based on all but a few comments, it appears the majority of the voting is based on appearance alone. Maybe the polls need to be more defined, performance or appearance?

A vote is based on all aspects-- appearance, performance, feel, etc-- with some parts carrying more weight than others. When I vote, I give the most points toward performance, then feel. I usually do not consider a club if I cannot stomach the looks. Also a reminder, just because a user leaves a comment does not necessarily mean he/she voted on the poll.

I will probably not test the Diablo. Too big and ugly. Simultaneously promoting "Diablo" and "Pure" is no good. Callaway is obviously confused.

Got to hit one with the Cally Rep (working on a huge review of almost everything they have). It's not much to look at, but it is a cannon. Not as long as the FT series, but it is very long and supremely easy to hit. This driver is made for the person who is going to swing as hard as they can to pound it. It doesn't disappoint. But I concur with a previous post...just because it doesn't look pretty doesn't mean it doesn't or can't perform. I can recall many of you (myself included) that said they would never hit a square driver and they would never catch on. Trust me. Big Bertha has grown up.

Those of you who post on looks alone, IMO should not be voting in the poll until you hit it.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Agree with the post above in terms of it not looking as pleasing but it does what it is designed to do. Easy to hit and long for the average golfer, but we all know in golf to each his/her own.

'14 Big Bertha Aldila Rogue
X2Hot Pro 15 FW Aldila Rogue
Apex Utility 21,24 UST Recoil
Apex Pro 5-PW KBS Tour
MD2 TG 52, 58, #7 Versa MXM

Got to hit one with the Cally Rep (working on a huge review of almost everything they have). It's not much to look at, but it is a cannon. Not as long as the FT series, but it is very long and supremely easy to hit.

I am looking to give this driver a go, but what you said worries me. How long would you consider it compared to the FT-i original? I found FT-i to be very short compared to my other drivers, so if the Diablo is even shorter it is not even worth the try for me. Any thoughts?

Got to hit one with the Cally Rep (working on a huge review of almost everything they have). It's not much to look at, but it is a cannon. Not as long as the FT series, but it is very long and supremely easy to hit.

I am looking to give this driver a go, but what you said worries me. How long would you consider it compared to the FT-i original? I found FT-i to be very short compared to my other drivers, so if the Diablo is even shorter it is not even worth the try for me. Any thoughts?

I haven't posted my review yet, but I can tell you this from speaking with my rep and testing it outside. It's made for someone to swing as hard as they can. Nothing finesse about it. The distance loss in this over a FT-9 or FT-iQ is in my view a club to MAYBE a club and a half. Nothing more. Their aim was to make an all titanium driver to get as close to the composite performance as they could. They pretty much got there, while remembering that they needed to keep the price down, make it more forgiving and stupid easy to hit. The FT-i is shorter than the Diablo. I'm pretty confident with that. The difference is the Hyper X and weight of the head. You're going to get more distance from the Diablo than your FT-i. Mary our rep pulled her own stats. Rocco switched to the Diablo from the FT-5. He gained 15 yards of distance. Everyone was shocked, including Rocco. He just hits it way better. It's worth a try. For me I wouldn't hesisitate having it as a back up. But if this will be your main driver, it's worth a try and I think you'd be happy with the performance.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

hey guys, i've been waiting for 4 months to get a driver head for my ust ld stiff flex shaft..i want to enter longdrive competitions this year with a( 49 inch r&a system of measurement, 50 inch pendulum system of measurement) total driver length, after much research and testing the only drivers left which i hadnt tried is the diablo and the cleveland hibore monster xls...the diablo arrived at my local driving range last tuesday..so i duly tested it on wednesday and i have to say that if i didnt know of the monsters existence i would of bought the diablo there and then!!...i currently own two hibore xl and one xls drivers and have owned many before these including the FT-i and X and the diablo DEFINATELY goes longer than any driver i've ever tried or owned!!...its so easy to hit (ive even deliberately tried to misshit it and it still goes straight!!)..and the face is really hot..so i guess it does what it says on the tin! ie you can hit it as hard as you like!!..callaway have got it definately right with the diablo...and i guess if i could get used to the square shaped FT-i shape i can get used to the diablo shape!..at the end of the day it doesnt matter to me what the shape is like as long as it goes straight n long!..although sound those matter to me and the diablo sound is good..so i will need to test the hibore monster and hear its sound!

hey guys, i tested the cleveland hibore monster xls (and to be honest with you before i tested it i thought that this driver was going to be even better than the diablo!) last wednesday and although it went a good distance..its just too loud for me! and for all its maxing dimensions it still wasnt as forgiving as the diablo and the diablo is definately easier to hit....so the diablo wins! i've ordered an 8n.

i'll probably be picking this up this week sometimes ... i've hit the hyper x which is staying in my bag better than any of the other callaway drivers, ft-3, ft-5, glued, imix, etc ... but this driver keeps getting such great reviews ... and while the masses can be right as they can be wrong ... i think there's a generalization being created with all these good reviews that this driver really does go longer (notwithstanding they all perform well if you hit any driver perfectly) ... and while the pros are paid to play (most of them) the clubs they do, rocco could have chosen any driver he wanted, and he's absolutely raving about it, and not only that, has his best driving accuracy and distance of his career. if you wanna be a stick in the mud and say its warm weather thats giving the distance fine, but i'm with rocco. this sure isn't traditional looking at all, which is the one thing i don't like ... but it's not that out of space that it doesn't look like it could be "traditional-like" ... strong suspicion i'm going diablo over either ft-9 (which i thought was going to be my driver this year), and the ft-iq. now if they just get those diablo irons out soon (haha, like i need a third set of callaway irons, to go along with the ft's and x22's (x22's which by the way i absolutely RAVE about them). better than any iron, i've ever hit in that mishits are least punished in terms of BOTH accuracy and distance ... and the launch is just perfect ... get a chance to try em out ... do it ... you'll probably buy em on the spot if you have the green to do so ...

Diablo 9.0 Neutral review. Stock DVS 65 stiff shaft

Here's a quick breakdown of my game:

(2-4 handicap) Varies because I don't get out as often as I would like due to my job and 2 kids under 8. Plus I'm an Ohio golfer so I don't find my game until June and 3 months later the season is over. SS at 98-102 with the driver. I fade the driver and used the L4V-X Speed with V2 High Launch last year.

My launch monitor numbers with the Diablo were: 14 degree launch, 148 ball speed, 2700 rpm, 271 carry and 10 yds of roll. More importantly here is what I experienced on the golf course today:

1- Diablo is ugly, but within 2 holes I forgot about it and was confident over the ball.

2- Club weight feels really light but specs say its a D2.

3- Stock DVS is garbage. Too soft, inconsistant, and doesn't load very well.

4- The shaft stinks but the face is hot and even with the bad shaft/head combo I hit some real high knuckle balls that carried both into the wind and downwind and rolled out on some pretty soft fairways.

5- The club sits pretty square and appears slightly upright at address which gave me confidence to hit both draws and fades.

6- Easily as accurate as the L4V and the FT-iq.

7- My misses are traditionally about 240 yd blocks that baloon. With the Diablo I hit a couple of these shots where I got stuck behind the ball and I barely lost any yardage. In fact on 2 holes I noticed I was as long as the guys I was playing with even though I hit these blocked shots.

I demo'd the following drivers: L5V, S9-1 Pro S, FT-IQ tour, Titleist 909's, Monster and Launcher.

I wanted to like the Cobra S9-1 Pro S because its so nice looking and sets up perfectly, but even though I can get it around the course pretty well, the Pro S was just too much club for me. It truly is for top players with 105+ consistent swings.

The verdict for me is that Diablo is going in my bag. Sold my L4V and will be putting a Fuji Z com 6 in the Diablo 9.0 Neutral head this week. Hope this review helps.

As you can see by my post a few above, I have and like the Diablo 3W and really wanted to like this driver.. I have an 11* FT-iq Draw with aftermarket Enzo70R shaft and have been thinking about replacing it (occasional snap hook when I step on it). Went down to the local shop and compared the Diablo 10* regular and 9* stiff against my FT-iq. The iq completely blew the Diablo away in distance and accuracy. We're talking about 30-50 yards more and straight down the middle with the iq.

Obviously I am used to my own driver and the monitor should never be the final judge, but based on the results of the testing I don't think I'll be bringing the Diablo out to the course anytime soon. I'd encourage anyone who likes Cally and can stomach a square driver to give them a head to head test before buying the Diablo.