2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Adams Idea Tech a4

Here are some great shots of the new A4 Forged irons. Adams said they were from the tour stock. There are some other pics just out here from Nobogey. I am not clear on all of the different versions. I will dig in and ask. I do know the club has some forgiveness. Lots of beef or width and camber on the sole.

Here is a more in depth thread... http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=213951

We saw these at the Buick last summer on the Adams tour van... <<<<< LINK TO THE THREAD AND PICS >>>>>

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where is the review on this one, no love for A4?

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

• 4 weeks later...

Just my demo feed back on the Tech A4 irons... I currently play the Idea Pro irons with Tour concept shafts. I demoed the Tech A4 w/ dynalite stiff shafts late last season, and I have to say that the distances weren't even close to the Pro's I would say at least 1 clublength off of every one! The heads feel about the same weight but the lighter shaft is to generate a little more club head speed.... They just felt a little off! Hope this helps... maybe I just can't get past the buttery feel of the Tour Concept shafts!

finally got an opportunity to hit the a4. overall i think they are pretty impressive..however, i am going to have either get used to the 4 hybrid or get rid of it..i have always loved hitting long irons. the 3h is just fine with me as i used it off the tee on a couple holes, but had some trouble trying to work the ball off the trf with the 4h. had a tendency to hook it.

but i liked the irons alot..they are real easy to hit and are also pretty workable for a game improvement iron. i had just switched to the a4 after playing cleveland golds for two years..def more feedback and i did not notice a loss in distance at all. in fact, i was a bit longer..not much, but noticeable.

overall a very nice set.

Played my second round today with the A4s. Conditions were not that great, 40 degrees and wind blowing 15-20 mph. I am sold on Adams products. I shot my lowest round ever today, 2 over. These irons are forgiving and just want to fly straight. This is my first time with graphite shafts and a forged iron. They will be in my bag for a long time.

just got mine today. I also bought the speedline driver. Very solid feeling and I actually did improve my swing speed by 4mph. I was very impressed. I've spent a lot of time searching for the right irons. I played nicklaus N1 irons for 15 plus years and loved them. I went to nike pro combos for a while, but didn't seem to have the consistency I needed to enjoy them all the time. I've played callaway x 18 for the last 4 years for the most part, but I've never liked the sole. I really want a thinner sole and top line. I looked hard at the TM Tour Burner irons, but I really prefer a forged iron. I'm really hoping these work well for me. The hybrids feel great.

The A4's are awesome! Have played two frigid rounds with them and couldn't be happier. Previous set was Titleist 704's with Rifle 5.5 shafts. My A4's have the flighted project X 5.0's installed. I was a bit worried when I received them from GPP.com. during the ordering process I knew that the shafts were Project X, but no where did I read flighted, from reviews of the shafts here I thought these shafts may be a little soft. My driver swing speed is 89-93. Not the case, these things are smooth as glass and are full of feel. Not sure if it's the shaft or the head but I've picked up 8 yards of carry per iron. I was also surprised at how nice the 3 and 4 hybrids are. I thought my TM Rescues were easy to hit.....these A4's are effortless. GPP surprised me again with the hybrids. I knew when ordering that the shafts were Matrix, I thought Studio, but instead they are actually matrix ozik altus's.....I guess I was surprised because I paid what every other store is selling them for with standard shafts $799.00, but received about $300.00 worth of upgrades for between the project X's and the Altus shafts. Great sticks, with that soft forged feeling.....Mizuno-ish soft. I'm sold on Adams, these are the first ever Adams anything that I have ever purchased. Great clubs that I'd buy again if something were to happen to these. Also, quick thanks to GPP (sponsors here) great to deal with and the best pricing anywhere.

Played my second round today with the A4s. Conditions were not that great, 40 degrees and wind blowing 15-20 mph. I am sold on Adams products. I shot my lowest round ever today, 2 over. These irons are forgiving and just want to fly straight. This is my first time with graphite shafts and a forged iron. They will be in my bag for a long time.

based on your score i am very interested if you give a bit more feedback for me. The reason i am hesitant to consider them is the thinking that the slightly bulk sole/cavity prevents workability. That finesse shots are not possible?

I play fusions and wanted a thinner smaller profile for my next. But when trying irons i threw the a4's in the mix and they are not close to what i wanted. Yes they had a thinner top but that was it. The other measurements were actually bigger than the cally.

The sole was wider, the cavity was wide, to the point on 5 and 6 iron i could see the cavity at address.

Sounds like i hate them? no. I was blown away at the softness and forgiveness and performance...at least in a sim. I gained swing speed versus 3 others i tried, i gained on the low end 8 yards vs others, on the high end i gained 26 yards!

Yes the lofts are juiced, but that cannot explain it all.

Irons tested went for a 7 iron 130-142. The a4 forged? 141-156!

I am a slow swinger or at least smooth, not fast and in regular flex SL i was shocked at the incredible feel and distance.

I would love to hear from a better player your comments. I am a 13 (have been as low as a 10.2). For you to shoot 2 over you must be good.

Thoughts?

I played my first round with the A4 forged and shot a fun 84. I'm a 12 index, so that's a fun round for me.

I'll try to give an honest review- These irons seem to do what I wanted them to do. Jus the right amount of offset and a sole that has good playability. They seem about one club longer than my X 18 irons with a more penetrating ball flight. I'm sure this is because of the DG SL shafts. I like the club head size and simplicity of design. I hate flashy iron badges. Very pleasing sound on well struck shots- a nice forged "thuck" sound. More forgiving than I thought they would be. Callaway forgiving. This may be a drawback for some as I don't think they are as "workable" as I thought they might be. If that is what you are looking for, then look elsewhere. I've hit the pro- Gold irons from Adams and they are solid irons as well and more of a players iron. I'm not sure I like the hybrids yet. I've been playing heavenwood hybrids for a few years with steel shafts, so these are going to take some getting used to. I'm not sure how to swing them yet. The irons are fun to hit, and you just want to keep hitting them because they are forged with a little feedback. The sole grind is great for me as I "pick" the ball more than dig. Hope this helps some.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a question regarding the 3 and 4 hybrids, there's only a 3 degree difference between them, are the distance gaps consistent between the two hybrids for those who have the 3 and 4 hybrid. i tried the iron and the hybrid at golfsmith the other day and was blown away, i wasn't expecting them to feel so soft and solid. luckily golfsmith also had a demo 6 iron in regular dynamic gold, not the SL, and it felt great. the offset didn't seem all that bad. the hybrid was super smooth, i currently have an adams a3 4 hybrid, and although i like it for the most part, it feels a bit too draw biased. the a4 hybrid sat pretty square, and the javlnfx shaft felt really good, just wondering if the distance gaps are a problem. from what i've seen the 4 iron option of these irons looks forgiving enough that it could be a possible option to replace the 4 hybrid.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

I've got a few rounds under my belt with these irons now. I still like them a lot. Very solid feeling irons with some pretty good feedback. Much better than my Callaway irons, but not as good as Nike Pro Combos. Really, it's about what you would expect. The offset is great - not too much, not too little. I think the soles are the real bonus with these irons along with the DG SL shafts. Th sole is so important, and I think this gets overlooked a lot. I've had Mizuno MX 23 irons in the past, and they wwere good irons, but I never liked the sole very much and I personally have never cared for mizuno short irons. The Adams A4 has a great shape and size that is very pleasing to the eye for me. Again, these are more game improvement type irons. I do not find they are very workable for me, but then again, I'm a 10 handicap. These irons want to go straight.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had myself fitted for a new set of Adams A4 irons with Tour Concept shafts with the satin finish. The fitting was very interesting as the fitter had me go through gyrations with all sorts of high-tech gadgets that measured how I loaded the various shafts, the spin rates, launch angles, and all of those other things that I know nothing about (that is why I went and got fitted).

As the fitter got closer and closer to the right flex, lie, and weight, you could see very graphically displayed on a computer read-out the difference in the dispersion pattern that I was exhibiting with each shot. My normal shot with my current set of clubs (Ping G5's) was a left-to-left nightmare that is a draw on a good day and a killer hook on a bad day!.

Once he got me dialed in, the feel was just incredible and the results were mostly a straight flight with the occasional baby draw. I did notice, however, that my swing sort of deteriorated after a bit as I got tired of whacking ball after ball into a net. (Note to self....some excercise in the winter might be a good idea!).

Once we settled on the shaft, he brought up the process of "PUREing" the shafts and I decided that I would go with this. I have noticed that several of the clubs in my current set seem to act up differently than the others, but assumed that it was just me and my 11 handicap swing that was the cause. It seemed sort of expensive and I had a "buyers remorse moment" on the drive home, but I am perfectly capable of bleeding off a few hundred bones on a night out with the boys and not having anything to show for it other than a headache, so I thought that I would give it a whirl. My thought process is that if I can do something that is a positive to my golf game, even if only mentally, why wouldn't I? The science behind the PURE process seems to make sense and a quick "Google" of "PURE golf shafts" will get you all sorts of information on this.

I was told the final step is to go back in once the clubs are fired up and have the loft and lie checked on EACH CLUB to insure that every club is set up ideally for my situation. I was told that the lie may be different for a wedge as opposed to the 5 iron. All in all, it was a very interesting morning and I can hardly wait for the finished product. Now I have to figure out how to tell my bride where the $1,000 went!

I do not have the clubs yet, so I apologize if you were expecting the full review here, but I will surely return and let you know how things go once I get them in hand and on the course!

• 1 month later...

Anymore feedback from anyone on these? I have a buddy who just picked a set up within the last month, I hit a few with his 7 iron and they were very sweet feeling and went dead straight. If I hadn't just invested in new shafts for my CG Reds.....

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Anymore feedback from anyone on these? I have a buddy who just picked a set up within the last month, I hit a few with his 7 iron and they were very sweet feeling and went dead straight. If I hadn't just invested in new shafts for my CG Reds.....

I have now played many rounds with the Adams A4 Irons and can honestly say that I have never played better. I have always been relatively decent with my irons, but had recently developed a hook with even my Wedge and 9 iron. The fitting process for the A4's gave me a set that completely eliminated the unwanted hook that I seemed to exhibit with my old set of PING G5's.

In retrospect, I do believe that the G5's were to upright for me due to a faulty fitting at the Metrodome during the seasonal Golf Show. My point with that statement is that I don't think that the PING's themselves were the trouble, just the 3-degree upright set-up that was prescribed for me after a few Mid-Winter piss-poor swings that I made immediately after spending 15 minutes with the GOLFTEC dude! I don't really think that 3 or 4 swings on a "strike plate" is going to give you the entire answer.

The A4's are very soft and go nowhere but straight. They seem to work better when I swing at about 80% power than when I ramp up and go after it. (Note to self: Swing 80%!) I have played many rounds with ONLY the irons and the Hybrids, leaving the driver and 3 wood in the trunk. This allowed me to see what the irons could do for me. My attitude whilst standing over these irons is diametrically opposite to the attitude that I had when hitting the PING's. I now think of what I want to do with the shot as opposed to hoping that I will be able to find it after I hit it!

As for the hybrids, I secured the Adams Pro Gold hybrids so that I had less offset that would allow me to fight that hook that seem to put on everything. I hit the hybrids that came with the set and they were just fine, but I merely felt that I needed everything that I could get to combat that left-to-left tendency that I exhibit with my swing. I can really only say one thing about the hybrids.....Spectacular! They go right where I aim them and are very long. That might be the only complaint that I have with the whole set-up......the gap in distance between the A4 5-Iron and the A4 Hybrid #4 is a bit large. The 5 iron is realtively normal in distance whereby I can smoke the 4 Hybrid about 215 yards. 185 yard 5 iron and a 215 yard 4.....Big gap there. This is something that I am will to live with as I am slowly learning the distances on each of the clubs and am certain that I will be able to "throttle-back" on the hybrid or "amp up" the 5 iron to get that 200 yard distance covered. (Although, "amping up" is usually not a great idea, I have found!)

Certainly, since I still have to use a driver off of the tee, these clubs have not turned me into any Tiger Woods, but they have given me a club that will go right where I aim them and, when I mis-hit them, which I do many times a round, gives me a nice bit of forgiveness that keeps the ball at least in the vicinity of the green. The confidence that I have been given by these clubs is allowing me to make some shots that I probably would not have even tried with some other clubs that I have owned.

All in all, a very solid set of clubs that will remain in my bag for a long time!

Racurl, great review. Thanks very much for sharing. Glad they are working out so well for you.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

.....the gap in distance between the A4 5-Iron and the A4 Hybrid #4 is a bit large. The 5 iron is realtively normal in distance whereby I can smoke the 4 Hybrid about 215 yards. 185 yard 5 iron and a 215 yard 4.....Big gap there. This is something that I am will to live with as I am slowly learning the distances on each of the clubs and am certain that I will be able to "throttle-back" on the hybrid or "amp up" the 5 iron to get that 200 yard distance covered. (Although, "amping up" is usually not a great idea, I have found!)

this may sound weird, but what about getting a 5 hybrid?  It will probably cover that 185-215 gap for you.  It sounds weord to have a 5 iron AND a 5 hybrid, but not if they are used for 2 different distance gaps.  You DONT want to have to hammer your 5 iron and throttling back on a hybrid is tough....it's like trying to swing a driver real easy...it usually doesn't work.  Just an idea.  I think Adams makes a A4 tech 5 hybrid that will match the 3 & 4.

The other alrernative is to get a 4 iron.

this may sound weird, but what about getting a 5 hybrid? It will probably cover that 185-215 gap for you. It sounds weord to have a 5 iron AND a 5 hybrid, but not if they are used for 2 different distance gaps. You DONT want to have to hammer your 5 iron and throttling back on a hybrid is tough....it's like trying to swing a driver real easy...it usually doesn't work. Just an idea. I think Adams makes a A4 tech 5 hybrid that will match the 3 & 4.

I read on another thread where someone wrote that they thought that the Adams A4 4-Iron was a wonderful club. I actually thought of getting the 4-Iron, keeping the 4 Hybrid and allowing the 4-Iron to cover that 190-200 yard distance. Sort of the same concept as having 2 5-irons....only 2 4-Irons!

The only problem with that idea is that I would have to determine which club gets kicked to the curb. Maybe the 3 Hybrid. Or maybe merely keep 15 clubs and don't tell anyone!

Driver 270 Yards

3W 235

3Hy 225

4Hy 215

4I 195

5I 185

6I 175

7I 165

8I 155

9I 145

PW 130

G

this may sound weird, but what about getting a 5 hybrid? It will probably cover that 185-215 gap for you. It sounds weord to have a 5 iron AND a 5 hybrid, but not if they are used for 2 different distance gaps. You DONT want to have to hammer your 5 iron and throttling back on a hybrid is tough....it's like trying to swing a driver real easy...it usually doesn't work. Just an idea. I think Adams makes a A4 tech 5 hybrid that will match the 3 & 4.

I read on another thread where someone wrote that they thought that the Adams A4 4-Iron was a wonderful club. I actually thought of getting the 4-Iron, keeping the 4 Hybrid and allowing the 4-Iron to cover that 190-200 yard distance. Sort of the same concept as having 2 5-irons....only 2 4-Irons!

The only problem with that idea is that I would have to determine which club gets kicked to the curb. Maybe the 3 Hybrid. Or maybe merely keep 15 clubs and don't tell anyone!

Driver 270 Yards

3W 235

3Hy 225

4Hy 215

4I 195

5I 185

6I 175

7I 165

8I 155

9I 145

PW 130

G

.....the gap in distance between the A4 5-Iron and the A4 Hybrid #4 is a bit large. The 5 iron is realtively normal in distance whereby I can smoke the 4 Hybrid about 215 yards. 185 yard 5 iron and a 215 yard 4.....Big gap there. This is something that I am will to live with as I am slowly learning the distances on each of the clubs and am certain that I will be able to "throttle-back" on the hybrid or "amp up" the 5 iron to get that 200 yard distance covered. (Although, "amping up" is usually not a great idea, I have found!)

<BR><BR>this may sound weird, but what about getting a 5 hybrid?  It will probably cover that 185-215 gap for you.  It sounds weord to have a 5 iron AND a 5 hybrid, but not if they are used for 2 different distance gaps.  You DONT want to have to hammer your 5 iron and throttling back on a hybrid is tough....it's like trying to swing a driver real easy...it usually doesn't work.  Just an idea.  I think Adams makes a A4 tech 5 hybrid that will match the 3 & 4. The other alrernative is to get a 4 iron.<BR>

I read on another thread where someone wrote that they thought that the Adams A4 4-Iron was a wonderful club. I actually thought of getting the 4-Iron, keeping the 4 Hybrid and allowing the 4-Iron to cover that 190-200 yard distance. Sort of the same concept as having 2 5-irons....only 2 4-Irons! The only problem with that idea is that I would have to determine which club gets kicked to the curb. &nbsp

<BR><BR>this may sound weird, but what about getting a 5 hybrid?  It will probably cover that 185-215 gap for you.  It sounds weord to have a 5 iron AND a 5 hybrid, but not if they are used for 2 different distance gaps.  You DONT want to have to hammer your 5 iron and throttling back on a hybrid is tough....it's like trying to swing a driver real easy...it usually doesn't work.  Just an idea.  I think Adams makes a A4 tech 5 hybrid that will match the 3 & 4. The other alrernative is to get a 4 iron.<BR>

I read on another thread where someone wrote that they thought that the Adams A4 4-Iron was a wonderful club. I actually thought of getting the 4-Iron, keeping the 4 Hybrid and allowing the 4-Iron to cover that 190-200 yard distance. Sort of the same concept as having 2 5-irons....only 2 4-Irons! The only problem with that idea is that I would have to determine which club gets kicked to the curb. &nbsp

I read on another thread where someone wrote that they thought that the Adams A4 4-Iron was a wonderful club. I actually thought of getting the 4-Iron, keeping the 4 Hybrid and allowing the 4-Iron to cover that 190-200 yard distance. Sort of the same concept as having 2 5-irons....only 2 4-Irons! The only problem with that idea is that I would have to determine which club gets kicked to the curb. Maybe the 3 Hybrid. Or maybe merely keep 15 clubs and don't tell anyone!

Driver 270 Yards

3W 235

3Hy 225

4Hy 215

4I 195

5I 185

6I 175

7I 165

8I 155

9I 145

PW 130

GAP 120

53W 110

SW 100

P

I read on another thread where someone wrote that they thought that the Adams A4 4-Iron was a wonderful club. I actually thought of getting the 4-Iron, keeping the 4 Hybrid and allowing the 4-Iron to cover that 190-200 yard distance. Sort of the same concept as having 2 5-irons....only 2 4-Irons! The only problem with that idea is that I would have to determine which club gets kicked to the curb. Maybe the 3 Hybrid. Or maybe merely keep 15 clubs and don't tell anyone!

Driver 270 Yards

3W 235

3Hy 225

4Hy 215

4I 195

5I 185

6I 175

7I 165

8I 155

9I 145

PW 130

GAP 120

53W 110

SW 100

P

Driver 270 Yards

3W 235

3Hy 225

4Hy 215

4I 195

5I 185

6I 175

7I 165

8I 155

9I 145

PW 130

GAP 120

53W 110

SW 100

P

Driver 270 Yards

3W 235

3Hy 225

4Hy 215

4I 195

5I 185

6I 175

7I 165

8I 155

9I 145

PW 130

GAP 120

53W 110

SW 100

P

Driver 270 Yards

3W 235

3Hy 225

4Hy 215

4I 195

5I 185

6I 175

7I 165

8I 155

9I 145

PW 130

GAP 120

53W 110

SW 100

P

I would just toss one wedge and get one in between, for example if you have a 52 and a 58, get 1 55 instead.  Or.....get rid of the 3hy.   Seems like that 180-200 gap is more important than what you would be giving up.