"The Interchangeable Putter"

BEND OF THE RIVER GC ·  
BEND OF THE RIVER GCBEND OF THE RIVER GC Charter Members  6562WRX Points: 66Posts: 6,562 Titanium Tees
how many of you like all your gamers and have a tough time deciding ?
Luckily for me, putting is the strong point of my game. I can putt with anything well (not bragging, you should see me off the tee!), even left handed putters work pretty well. Aesthetics is the big thing for me, I could putt with a Bullseye putter, but am happiest with the anser style the most...

I have several, maybe too many, putters and I really struggle with how to decide which flat stick makes it into the bag....and how long it stays...

Right now, my choices are:

SC Inspired by David Duval

SC Studio Select Newport (just traded for my SC Mil Spec)

Byron 007 A.S.S.

Byron 007

Byron DH 89 (soon to be ordered)

Machine (soon to be ordered)

C&L

C&L

C&L (on the way, ordered a few weeks ago, I think I have a sickness)

Callaway Tour Blue TT1

Ram Zebra (still don't know why I keep this thing around)

How do you guys decide, assuming you have the same problem? Right now my C&L is firmly entrenched, which isn't saying much since I just had knee surgery and it is snowing here in Ohio...
Posted:
TM M1 Kurokage shaft
TM RBZ 3 wood stock Ozik shaft
TM R11 4 wood Fujikura Rombax 6X07
TM RBZ with Oban Revenge shaft
Ping G irons 4-UW
Nike VR 56*
Nike VR 60*
Black Lab oil can 350g custom grind by Geo
Ping 4 Under carry bag

Comments

• Got An Itch?Got An Itch? Members  310WRX Points: 0Posts: 310
    I was known on the road for carrying as many as 25 putters with me from event to event. A lot of my decision for any given week had to do with aesthetics. What looks good to me at that moment. Then I'd usually take 5-10 of them with me to the putting green and go through the process of elimination. What is rolling it the best. What feels right for the green speed. What is going in. It would take about an hour and I'd have my putter for the week. Not that I wouldn't switch if necessary...
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BEND OF THE RIVER GCBEND OF THE RIVER GC Charter Members  6562WRX Points: 66Posts: 6,562 Titanium Tees
    I don't know what would be more frustrating, carrying 25 drivers or putters. I just don't even think about putting at all, I just do it. I wish I could do that off the tee with the same consistency. I know others wish the opposite.

WOW. Carrying 25 putters, that is sick!

I pretty much go by which one looks the best rolling the ball in the basement that week, I am not willing to drag them all in the car. Heck, I am just playing to break 90 since I do not have time for practice.
    Posted:
    TM M1 Kurokage shaft
    Ping G irons 4-UW
    Nike VR 56*
    Nike VR 60*
    Ping 4 Under carry bag
  • choeppnerchoeppner Blue Ridge, GACharter Members  10370WRX Points: 109Posts: 10,370 Titanium Tees
    I've actually stuck with the same putter for over a month now. It's a Fat Back with a torched finish and a hand bent hosel. I had it built to my specs using a SAMM Fitting Session, and so far, nothing has managed to be more accurate. For me, the putter has to have a headshape that is pleasing to the eye, a nice weight, and a good alignment aid.

I constantly putt around the house, living room is rolling slow right now, but I see which one feels the best on it, and which one is the most accurate and then take it to the practice green with maybe 1 or 2 more just to see how they are working. However, when I played with Wookiedog on here last time, I did show up to the course with my regular bag, and then another bag stuffed to the brim of putters. LOL

-Chris
    Posted:
    Chris,

I see you have a bagful of our stuff! That's excellent. I used a MACHINE putter in the Fort Smith, AR Nationwide event last year. Not a good week, but your putter was in the bag. Made EVERYTHING with it on the putting green. Not so much on the course, though. Definitely the puttee, not the putter! Cheers!
    Posted:
  • BEND OF THE RIVER GCBEND OF THE RIVER GC Charter Members  6562WRX Points: 66Posts: 6,562 Titanium Tees
    Welcome to Golf WRX Mr. Kraft!

Ever use one of these (Byron 007) in an event?

index3.png
    Posted:
    TM M1 Kurokage shaft
    Ping G irons 4-UW
    Nike VR 56*
    Nike VR 60*
    Ping 4 Under carry bag
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members  17148WRX Points: 1,345Posts: 17,148 Titanium Tees
    I change frequently because I can't putt but have kept the c&l in the bag the last month.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Well, I can honestly say that Byron is one of the brands that I have never had the privilege of playing. I've slutted myself around a lot through the years, trying all measure of putters. But hey, I'm not even 40 yet, so I've got (hopefully) plenty of time to get around to the Byron putters, too! LOL. Of course, when our putters hit the market, it is all over! image/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Posted:
    Got An Itch? wrote on Jan 7 2009, 10:24 PM:
    Well, I can honestly say that Byron is one of the brands that I have never had the privilege of playing. I've slutted myself around a lot through the years, trying all measure of putters. But hey, I'm not even 40 yet, so I've got (hopefully) plenty of time to get around to the Byron putters, too! LOL. Of course, when our putters hit the market, it is all over! image/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Why? Because you will 25 differnet Scratch putters in the bag, errr trunk?

You can try my Byrons when I get down there for a personal wedge fitting...

Rich
    Posted:
    TM M1 Kurokage shaft
    Ping G irons 4-UW
    Nike VR 56*
    Nike VR 60*
    Ping 4 Under carry bag
  • TM golf guyTM golf guy Members  9985WRX Points: 1Posts: 9,985 Titanium Tees
    I only have one putter that goes in the bag at the moment. I don't really like to switch putters. I do have plenty to switch to if mine starts acting up LOL.
    Posted:
  • jphilbeckjphilbeck NCBanned  371WRX Points: 0Posts: 371 BST Banned
    i have about 6 yes putters and i have this problem so to fix it i am selling 5 of them! but i am getting a miura 006 1957 soon so it might make things awkward again. I put the grip on a 006 miura that someone ordered and it felt sooo amazing so now i have to have one. but serioulsy just get rid of the ones you don't want and slowly work your way down to one

oh and someone gave me advice on how to make decions. my variation

put all of your putters in the bag and get someone to randomly put the headcovers on them. close your eyes grab one and say "this is going to be my gamer" and if you feel like maybe this isn't the ONE and i want to use one of the others then toss it and grab another until one just says "I am the one keep me"

sounds weird but works for decision making
    Posted:
  • jh19jh19 Members  2055WRX Points: 111Posts: 2,055 Platinum Tees
    I have 4 different putters, but they all are different. I do have two plumber's necks, but one is a belly. Right now they are getting the majority of the bag time.

I only take one with me whenever I play, and keep the rest at home.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 8.5* BB7x
    Titleist TS2 16.5* DI7x
    Titleist U510 PX 6.0
    Titleist 718 Combo PX LZ 6.5
    Vokey TVD 52*
    Ping Glide Eye2 60*
    TP Mills Handmade One 

Advertisement
    jphilbeck wrote on Jan 8 2009, 12:43 AM:
    i have about 6 yes putters and i have this problem so to fix it i am selling 5 of them! but i am getting a miura 006 1957 soon so it might make things awkward again. I put the grip on a 006 miura that someone ordered and it felt sooo amazing so now i have to have one. but serioulsy just get rid of the ones you don't want and slowly work your way down to one

oh and someone gave me advice on how to make decions. my variation

put all of your putters in the bag and get someone to randomly put the headcovers on them. close your eyes grab one and say "this is going to be my gamer" and if you feel like maybe this isn't the ONE and i want to use one of the others then toss it and grab another until one just says "I am the one keep me"

sounds weird but works for decision making

The 'ho in me makes we want them all!
    Posted:
    TM M1 Kurokage shaft
    Ping G irons 4-UW
    Nike VR 56*
    Nike VR 60*
    Ping 4 Under carry bag
    Rich,

I haven't even seen the Scratch putters yet! I'm heading out to the shop next week, so I'll get a chance to mess with them then. I've been told they are world beaters, though! I'll look forward to trying out the Byrons, they do look awfully good. Though, with the weather taking the turn it is currently, it won't be any time soon! Stay warm, stay dry, man!
    Posted:
  • daydreamerdaydreamer Members  629WRX Points: 0Posts: 629
    bend, you know I'm a Byron fan, so my vote for you would be to game the Byron 007 A.S.S. The feel is great and the look is perfect. I try and stick with one putter each time out, and if I have a poor putting day I give the gamer a 'time out' and go to the back up....but again, only if it's needed. One does the trick, right now it's my 008x.
    Posted:
  • midwayjmidwayj Members  234WRX Points: 0Posts: 234
    I tend to decide on one putter and stick with it. I'm a mediocre putter and switching around seems to make things worse. I do have that problem with drivers. There are three or four I hit equally well so it's sometimes hard to decide which one to take.
    Posted:
  • finalistfinalist MASHED POTATO! Members  5411WRX Points: 167Posts: 5,411 Bunkers
    oohh man this tough. I actually just went down to Huntington Beach and visited Byron on Saturday. I have about 9 Byron putters and 4 of them are in the rotation. I told Byron he makes it very difficult to stick with one. I always thought I should find the "one" and stick with it like TW. Byron quickly reminded me of Lee Trevino. Lee was constantly switching. It's about programing your feel for that week like Got An Itch's tour elimination. This sits well with me because I now feel freed with knowledge that better players than me change putters constantly.

Got an Itch,

About those Scratch putters... are you guys still going to use Slighter as the maker?
    Posted:
    Many Byron Putters
    Scratch Don Whites
    Scratch Jeff McCoys
    WITB Link

Advertisement
  • whitesharkwhiteshark Members  40WRX Points: 55Posts: 40 Bunkers
    I, like those of you on this thread, have had numerous putters over the years. Each would work for a while (maybe even more than a round or two) but like all my previous putters, the magic would wear off. Then I found the magic bullet--get custom fit for a putter. We use a putter more than any other club in our bag. Why not get one that fits our posture, stroke, ball position, etc. I went to a recommended club fitter armed with one of my favorite putters. After watching me putt for about 15 minutes (I play to a 9 handicap so I'm a decent putter), he made numerous suggestions which resulted in changes to everything except my stroke--length, lie, loft, grip size, and head weight. Got the putter back in less than a week with a charge for only the labor and the grip--around $20.00 total. This happened about 3 years ago. I only own two putters now. My original custom fit putter and a second custom fit putter that is a backup. Did my putting improve. You bet.
    Posted:
    finalist wrote on Jan 8 2009, 03:21 PM:
    oohh man this tough. I actually just went down to Huntington Beach and visited Byron on Saturday. I have about 9 Byron putters and 4 of them are in the rotation. I told Byron he makes it very difficult to stick with one. I always thought I should find the "one" and stick with it like TW. Byron quickly reminded me of Lee Trevino. Lee was constantly switching. It's about programing your feel for that week like Got An Itch's tour elimination. This sits well with me because I now feel freed with knowledge that better players than me change putters constantly.

Got an Itch,

About those Scratch putters... are you guys still going to use Slighter as the maker?

Good thing Byron is on the left coast and I am stuck in freezing Ohio. I like Byron's marketing strategy, buy more for increased programming effect! If I was anywhere inside Byron's shop, I might NOT be able to make the house payment that month!!!!

My 007 A.S.S. spent MOST of the summer in the bag. It got knocked out after a few 26-28 putt rounds (poor for me), and I went to the C&L.

Come spring it's a battle royale to get in my bag!

(heck, I have 4 sets of irons trying to get in there as well!)
    Posted:
    TM M1 Kurokage shaft
    Ping G irons 4-UW
    Nike VR 56*
    Nike VR 60*
    Ping 4 Under carry bag
    Finalist,

I'm not yet sure what the exact deal is on the putters. I'll know more after my trip out the the shop next week. But I can tell you that Slighter will NOT be involved. So, I guess that is at least a partial answer!

KGK
    Posted:
  • nobreak1970nobreak1970 Members  586WRX Points: 0Posts: 586
    If it says PING it'll get some bag time with me. image/wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Posted:
  • edwellyedwelly Space For Rent Members  1254WRX Points: 60Posts: 1,254 Platinum Tees
    I have 4 C&L and 2 custom made Scottys, but I always go back to my C&L SS model. It just seems to produce the best roll for me...
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • jefffannjefffann pablo Members  202WRX Points: 0Posts: 202
    Let's see.I was using 5 different Cameron bullseyes this summer.Then went to ol trusty Ping anser 2.A stint with a Spalding tp mills 12.Then to Odessey 2ball blade and now since I have had some spectacular long putts with it I'm using an old Cleveland KG 3.Who knows what tommorrow will bring.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.