Welded Necks

simpy19 ·  
simpy19simpy19 Members  647WRX Points: 130Posts: 647 Golden Tee
Any purpose other than just getting the neck you want on a head that otherwise wouldn't have it? Or does it enhance feel in some way?

Thanks
Posted:
Mizuno ST190 9.5*
Ping G410 17*
Ping i200 5-UW
Ping Glide 2.0 58 ES
Rife Brac
Mackenzie Ballistic Walker

Comments

• Bob CatBob Cat Golfopath Members  1942WRX Points: 729Handicap: ~9Posts: 1,942 Platinum Tees
    Good question 'cause I've been wondering about those myself.

I was guessing that the machinest was trying to save some metal. That'd be one big block of material and most of it would be milled away.

True?

FWIW, the welded necks are not as appealing to me as a monolithic neck/head.
    Posted:

"I challenge, transform, and instill confidence in young men through the life lessons learned from the game of golf."

Taylormade M1
    TaylorMade R5 Dual (3) / R580 (7)
    Ping i15 / Zing 2
    Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
    TM Spider Tour Black
    Titleist ProV1
    Sun Mountain Four 5
    Clicgear 3.5+
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • claytonstoker21claytonstoker21 Members  623WRX Points: 55Posts: 623 Golden Tee
    well yes you will see them on handmade putters because on a handmill you cannot mill a one piece anser head. most people like them for some reason, possibily because it shows craftsmanship. also large compaines to it to save time and for a cleaner look. tp mills does it because of milling limitations and most people like them.
    Posted:
  • scotchbladescotchblade Members  2385WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,385
    I've never cared for the look. Yuk.
    Posted:
  • nobreak1970nobreak1970 Members  586WRX Points: 0Posts: 586
    I personally don't like it either.

Looks a bit sloppy IMHO, but in putting looks really don't mean squat to me.

Example of what I mean here: image/wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Peace.
    Posted:
  • MedicaptainMedicaptain Never Forget Members  1170WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,170
    +1 on the yuk...with an ick added...wow that thingy is beeeefugly

but I bet it putts like a peach!
    Posted:
    Epic Project X LZ 6.0
    Epic 15* Project X LZ 6.0
    19* and 23* Titleist 916H2
    2018 X-Forged Proj X 5-P
    MD3 50, 54, 58
    PXG Dagger
    It putts rather well actually. 2 putted 9 holes the other day with it....but regardless it's an example of well a person's taste for a putter?

LOL not sure actually but I love it. Tad Moore went on to Maxfli and utilized this design as a template for a new line of TM-x putters. BUT

Still don't like weld marks though.

image/wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Peace.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Lngnokr71Lngnokr71 Hmmm what to get next? Members  965WRX Points: 0Posts: 965
    claytonstoker21 wrote on Jan 9 2009, 07:39 PM:
    well yes you will see them on handmade putters because on a handmill you cannot mill a one piece anser head. most people like them for some reason, possibily because it shows craftsmanship. also large compaines to it to save time and for a cleaner look. tp mills does it because of milling limitations and most people like them.
    Milling a one piece head with a neck/hosel is is possible and it is done by some of great artist in the putter making world...I believe Byron does it and Serge of Palombi putters does it(CNC),just to name a couple.... so yes it's possible...I does however require a lot more design programming....I've seen pics and I'll try to find one where out of one block of material two putters are milled with plumbers necks....Now as far as a handmade(no CNC) it would be extremely difficult and there probably would be alot of wasted material...As far as putters with welded necks go, if done by someone who has mastered the skill of welding and can lay down some sick beads the putters look beautiful IMO and it just adds another dimension of artistc value....Here's an example of a putter were the weld is done by someone who has mastered the skill.....

av-9642.jpg

post-51082-1229906664-3.jpg
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • TM golf guyTM golf guy Members  9985WRX Points: 1Posts: 9,985 Titanium Tees
    I like a welded neck putter if the weld is done well. That Slighter posted is bad, as are several of his putters.

Lngnokr posted an example of a good neck weld.
    Posted:
    I could most likely enjoy the **** outta that putter in that particular pic from Lngnokr, the weld is very well done. It looks like some effort was made to minimize the impact of the weld noticeability. I have to state this with as much "correctness" as possible but, that weld in that pic means quality in the product and also confidence in design to my overall opinion of a any putter.

Peace.
    Posted:
  • kitsoasiskitsoasis fried chicken Members  3859WRX Points: 56Posts: 3,859 Titanium Tees
    TM golf guy 182 wrote on Jan 10 2009, 05:02 PM:
    I like a welded neck putter if the weld is done well. That Slighter posted is bad, as are several of his putters.

Lngnokr posted an example of a good neck weld.

do you mind explaining a bit more regarding and good and bad weld?

i'm not very familiar with weld necks so if you could tell us more that would be great
    Posted:
  • BEND OF THE RIVER GCBEND OF THE RIVER GC Charter Members  6562WRX Points: 66Posts: 6,562 Titanium Tees
    scotchblade wrote on Jan 10 2009, 12:10 AM:
    I've never cared for the look. Yuk.

Me too! I prefer the cleaner lines of the milled only.
    Posted:
    TM M1 Kurokage shaft
    TM RBZ 3 wood stock Ozik shaft
    TM R11 4 wood Fujikura Rombax 6X07
    TM RBZ with Oban Revenge shaft
    Ping G irons 4-UW
    Nike VR 56*
    Nike VR 60*
    Black Lab oil can 350g custom grind by Geo
    Ping 4 Under carry bag

Advertisement
  • MekeniMekeni Members  300WRX Points: 60Posts: 300 Bunkers
    TM golf guy 182 wrote on Jan 10 2009, 01:02 AM:
    I like a welded neck putter if the weld is done well.

I agree.. Specially when the weld beads ( i think thats what they call em) pattern are nicely uniform.
    Posted:
  • choeppnerchoeppner Blue Ridge, GACharter Members  10365WRX Points: 104Posts: 10,365 Titanium Tees
    I love weld necks. Here is one we just completed and shipped to a member on here.

MACHINE M2A Converter Weld Neck Center Shaft Fat Back

-Chris

fatbackweldneckcs-1.jpg
    Posted:
  • scotchbladescotchblade Members  2385WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,385
    I picked up a SoftTail on Putter Swap last year, fully expecting the welded neck. Much to my surprise, it arrived looking one piece, which pleased me since I'm not a fan of the weld joint. I assume the joint was smoothed down, removing any sign of the weld?? It's flawless!
    Posted:
  • golftechgolftech Members  467WRX Points: 85Posts: 467 Greens
    Here's a Slighter I had made last year. Tom smoothed the welded neck out and it looks awesome.
    Posted:
  • Southside StrikerSouthside Striker Members  281WRX Points: 0Posts: 281
    How does Nike make the Unitized?
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.