Putter Weight Question

dminn23 ·  
dminn23dminn23 DerekMembers  445WRX Points: 0Posts: 445
Modification question
Okay, question for you guys that tinker or build clubs. If I was take a putter, for instance a 35 inch Newport 2, and stick a 33 inch shaft in (shortening it), I would of course want to bring the weight up to the standard Cameron 33'' weight or heavier. Seeing that a 35 inch Cameron comes with a 340g head, and a 33'' comes with a 360g head, I would want to add 20 grams at least.

Without using lead tape on the head, could I put weight into the hosel end of the shaft, just making the head area heavier, or would this affect the balance. I always thought it would, but I know nothing about club building and heard otherwise.

Set me straight please.

Thanks,

Derek
Posted:

Comments

• iteachgolfiteachgolf Members  17144WRX Points: 1,342Posts: 17,144 Titanium Tees
    it will move the sweet spot slightly and make the putter head close a little faster.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • dminn23dminn23 Derek Members  445WRX Points: 0Posts: 445
    iteachgolf wrote on Jan 10 2009, 11:18 PM:
    it will move the sweet spot slightly and make the putter head close a little faster.

On the opposite end, how will backweighting affect things? Would it offset it?
    Posted:
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members  17144WRX Points: 1,342Posts: 17,144 Titanium Tees
    dminn23 wrote on Jan 10 2009, 11:20 PM:
    iteachgolf wrote on Jan 10 2009, 11:18 PM:

On the opposite end, how will backweighting affect things? Would it offset it?

Doubt it because the weight is added towards the heel lead tape might not be pretty but works the best.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.