2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Looking to get a mallet-style putter

mkerns12

I am looking to get a new putter to add to the rotation. I would like something that is a small mallet style. I thought I had got a Rife Mr. Beasley but the deal feel through so I am on the hunt again. I am a college player so obviously the budget is small. I pretty much have a blade style gamer lined up for my spring season but would like to get a mallet as well. Please post opinions on good choices as well as an photos you may have. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people here so any input would be great!

Remember- I do not have a lot of funds at all right now so try to keep this in mind when making suggestions! Cant wait to see some pictures and options. Thanks for helping me out.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to www.rockbottomgolf.com and click on the MACGREGOR link.

Hunt down the DCT series mallet (I think it is the SARASOTA). I just got my new SUNSET DCT today and it is a quality piece with great feel and appearance at setup.

The price is a whopping $39.99 and about $10 for shipping. This is quite a good buy, not a piece of junk putter. Give it a look.

I just went on the site, it is under the BOBBY GRACE DCT heading under MACGREGOR. They have both the 34 and 35 inch SARASOTA mallet and I HIGHLY recommend it based on my experience

I did some business with the first poster and the Spider looks good. I got the Rife.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=1416788

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=1399624

And if you can stand the goober on the face this is a smoking deal.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=1418481

Either a Red X3 or Red X5...They're great putters and you can get them for under $200 on Ebay. I got this one Brand New for $180... It's kind of in between a small/mid-mallet and the gigantic mallets.

The original post said he was lower on funds, so how does this fit that category?

Definately check out the link to rock bottom golf for the MacGregor DCT Sarasota model. I just posted in the thread of "your all time great clubs" about this putter. It will be firmly planted in my bag for many years and I am even considering grabbing a second now that they are cheap.

The original post said he was lower on funds, so how does this fit that category?

Definately check out the link to rock bottom golf for the MacGregor DCT Sarasota model. I just posted in the thread of "your all time great clubs" about this putter. It will be firmly planted in my bag for many years and I am even considering grabbing a second now that they are cheap.

Let me add another vote for the Bobby Grace Sarasota model. I just got one from Rock Bottom Golf last week and am simply blown away by the feel and quality of this putter! Perfect weight (slightly heavy,) nice grip, and good alignment. The best feeling insert that I've tried as well, smooth, not mushy at all.

Either a Red X3 or Red X5...They're great putters and you can get them for under $200 on Ebay. I got this one Brand New for $180... It's kind of in between a small/mid-mallet and the gigantic mallets.

$180 is relatively cheap for the most Important club in the bag...Also, if you keep buying lower-end models because they don't feel right, the spending will quickly add up. Why not go for a high-end putter that you will definitely like? Believe me, I've gone down the road of buying $40-$50 putters and it's just not worth it. Before you know it, you'll be spending way over $180. Not to mention, you spend more than that on a driver, which accounts for far less strokes than putting.

Very impressed with the new Odyssey TOUR line. Mid range price wise that I feel is as good as any "high end" putter. Weight, balance, feel and accuracy is bang on for me. Has a firmer insert from previous models.

I picked up the #5 but they also have a Rossie model.

BEST OF LUCK and let us know what you end up using

$180 is relatively cheap for the most Important club in the bag...Also, if you keep buying lower-end models because they don't feel right, the spending will quickly add up. Why not go for a high-end putter that you will definitely like? Believe me, I've gone down the road of buying $40-$50 putters and it's just not worth it. Before you know it, you'll be spending way over $180. Not to mention, you spend more than that on a driver, which accounts for far less strokes than putting.

Uhh...You are way off base with thinking that the DCT is a "low-end" putter. It was originally $130, as Bobby Grace putters are almost NEVER over $179-200 at most, and his designs are never low-end. This model DCT just did not get properly released from Mac before Grace left for personal reasons. Everyone is grabbing one becuase at $39+shipping, you are easily getting a top-notch level putter for a bargin-bin price.

Just one to try - and you will forget all the other silly suggestions - Taylormade Rossa Suzuka .. one of only 2 or 3 putters that INDEPENDENTLY are shown to give true roll and 'topspin' (Golf Monthly UK)

£89 here in uk , so I am guessing 480 USA.... small mallet that is bee-yu-tee-full.

GG you must mean $180 in the US

Ha Yea 480 is way out of my range but im sure he just missed the shift key! I really might try that grace.... anyone game on? If so, how does it perform and how is the feel? Is it stainless?

Video of the DCT series putters http://macgregorgolf.com/video_BobbyGrace_DCT_Demo.asp

Putter details http://macgregorgolf.com/dct_series_putters.asp

Yea i definitely know what you mean. I have a Red X3 right now and am just looking to switch things up for the spring. Thanks for all the responses and keep them coming!

How do you like that X3? Have you tried an X5 with the plumbers neck? Absolutely love my X5! I was in the store and tried out an X3 first, wasn't very impressed. Nearly disregarded the X5 just because I didn't think they could be that much different. Well lets just say I'm extremely glad I gave it a chance anyways because it stayed in my bag for all of 2008 and I don't see it going anywhere in the near future. It's out for a black polymer finish by LaMont right now in fact. Oh, and if this means anything...I went through probably 20-30 different putters in 2007 trying to find my groove. 1 putter for the entire next year says something. (yes I got curious/bored and tried a few others, but nothing ever lasted for a full round :secret: )

Where do you play for?

EDIT: I'm the exact opposite though. I love my mallets, they seem to work the best for me...but I wouldn't mind grabbing an Anser style to throw in the rotation

Driver: Ping G30
3-Wood: Ping G30
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges: Scratch 1018
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5

Ha Yea 480 is way out of my range but im sure he just missed the shift key! I really might try that grace.... anyone game on? If so, how does it perform and how is the feel? Is it stainless?

Definately check out the video that was attached in one of the replies. Please note...there was a guy on here who was present at the filming of the video which took place at the last PGA show. The DCT was only going a little off course because the green was not perfectly level. I am gaming the sarasota that I attachec the picture of and it definately fits what you are looking for. Under $50 shipped is a steal. This is the first putter with an insert that I have ever like for more then a day or two. It is not soft and mushy...and I guarantee that distance control will amaze you with this. Putts off the toe will still get darn close to the hole if it does not get all the way there.