Question about putter Length

callawayguy10 ·  
callawayguy10callawayguy10 Members  600WRX Points: 0Posts: 600
I am about 5'10" and I just ordered and custom putter from C&L and I was just wondering what you quys thought about the length I should get. I know most of you are going to say it all up to me or go get fitted. But I am between a 34-35. I was wondering which one would be better to get? I have sometime a problem with a 35" putter to hit the ground before the ball. Any help would be great
Posted:

Comments

• 502 to Right502 to Right Badds Members  8110WRX Points: 2Handicap: 8.3Posts: 8,110 Titanium Tees
    1) Without seeing you putt it's nearly impossible to tell.

2) At 5'10" you likely would be better with the 34 inch putter. I almost always think you are better off going shorter when choosing between two lengths that you think might be OK.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • AUCallawayGuyAUCallawayGuy Members  160WRX Points: 0Posts: 160
    get the 35 and choke down.
    Posted:
  • SoCalTitleistSoCalTitleist Members  3257WRX Points: 137Handicap: 13Posts: 3,257 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members  6800WRX Points: 67Handicap: 9.8Posts: 6,800 Titanium Tees
    It depends on your setup.

If you do the typical hunched over setup with eyes over the ball, probably somewhere between 34-35.

The putting zone has a putter length calculator - check how they do it based on your setup --

www.puttingzone.com

try a search under putter length calculator
    Posted:
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • nobreak1970nobreak1970 Members  586WRX Points: 0Posts: 586
    It depends on your stance at address as well...I am 5'11" and use a 35" putter...BUT I have a bad lower back, so I don't bend down over the ball like some do. It's all about address.

Peace.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members  6800WRX Points: 67Handicap: 9.8Posts: 6,800 Titanium Tees
    Try this:

http://www.puttingzone.com/MyTips/lengthlie.html

Remember - this guy is very opinionated and is a Mr. Knowitall on putting. His way is the only way. So take his commentary with a grain of salt. Do the calculator as you would set up. Take this as a guide. Find some putters at a store that are this length -- grip up or down and try it.

When I putted with the traditional method - a bit bent over with eyes over the ball, I calculated a 34.5 inch length and 71.5 lie.

Now I use the Pat O'Brien method with eyes inside the ball and more upright with the stance, and I am in the 35.5 length, 69 lie.
    Posted:
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.