Ping Anser 4

TonyD ·  
TonyDTonyD Members  106WRX Points: 50Handicap: 12?Posts: 106 Fairways
Couple of Q's
I bought a Ping Answer 4 this weekend at a used golf shop and need some answers (pun intended!) image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I saw one of these about a month ago in a post but after 10 searches I can't find anything to help.

Here are some pics of the putter -

putterwork005na5.jpg

putterwork001cm9.jpg

putterwork003rm7.jpg

putterwork002ap4.jpg

What kind of finish is on the putter? It appears black, which is not like my other pings that are becu or magenese.

Also, how much do you think it is worth? I don't plan on selling it, but it would be nice to know that I got a good deal!

Does anyone know an easy way to remove the lead tape without scratching the putter?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Posted:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mat562mat562 My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly. Members  10967WRX Points: 198Posts: 10,967 Titanium Tees
    It's tough to tell from the pictures due to the lighting, but Ping did offer a black surface treatment on their putters at one time - effectively very similar to the modern day black oxide finishes that are offered by many companies now. Obviously, an aftermarket finish could be on there just as easily as a factory one. If it's unmarked, and shows no signs of wear or fading on the sole or edges, it's likely to be a recent job, obviously, and my bet would be aftermarket in that case. It's hardly concrete evidence, but the painfill in the sightline looks a bit 'creamy' to me - whereas the original Ping paint stays very white in my experience, based on a few old putters.

Regarding the lead tape, my recommendation would be to use a very fine, pointed blade (e.g. a surgical tool or similar) to lift a corner enough to get a decent hold of the tape with tweezer tips and pull it away. Hopefully, there should be minimal damage to the surface of the club, and any minor marks will be small enough to touch up afterwards.

Value-wise? Tough one. It's a nice putter, in what looks to be very tidy nick and the finish could add or subtract a bit of value depending upon the buyer. It should fetch a reasonable amount (£30-40 or so) but I wouldn't plan on becoming a tax exile on the proceeds.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • TonyDTonyD Members  106WRX Points: 50Handicap: 12?Posts: 106 Fairways
    I updated the first post with two more pics
    Posted:
  • rms25thtarms25thta rms25thta Members  126WRX Points: 0Posts: 126
    I have putted with that exact putter for 20 years now. Mine was also black when I first got it. It is a stainless steel putter so you know. Over the years I have removed the black finish and it is a satin finish now, I like it better. As far as value.....I would say it is worth probalby $30-$40. There is actually a used one at Golf Galaxy near me right now. I think I am going to pick it up just incase something happens to mine. I looked on eBay and there are several on there in that price range that I mentioned above. It is a great stick, I love the reduced offset vs. the anser & anser 2. I have had many other putters over the years and never putted better with anything else, that is why it is in my bag 20 years later. Here is a photo of mine.

2-1.jpg
    Posted:
  • nobreak1970nobreak1970 Members  586WRX Points: 0Posts: 586
    Definately be careful in removing the lead tape, I assume it's in the cavity on the flange!?! The nice Ping address stamp is under that.

Peace.
    Posted:
  • Titleist87Titleist87 Members  2869WRX Points: 57Posts: 2,869 Titanium Tees
    I have a BeCu Anser 4 and it looks like that is what you have. Expect a headweight of 320 grams. If it is the steel with the dark finish, it will have a headweight of 300 grams. If you want a concrete answer, just soak the head in diet coke for a few hours. If you have copper, which I think you do, it will come out bright and shiny.
    Posted:
    Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila DVS
    MacGregor MT 4w Aldila DVS
    Titleist 915H 3
    Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro/'87 Titleist Tour Model/'86 Spalding Tour Edition
    Titleist SM6 50 F Grind
    Titleist SM6 54 S Grind
    Titleist SM6 58 S Grind
    Titleist SC Studio Design 5
  • astamm8astamm8 Members  1291WRX Points: 56Posts: 1,291 Platinum Tees
    rms25thta wrote on Jan 20 2009, 09:12 PM:
    I have putted with that exact putter for 20 years now. Mine was also black when I first got it. It is a stainless steel putter so you know. Over the years I have removed the black finish and it is a satin finish now, I like it better. As far as value.....I would say it is worth probalby $30-$40. There is actually a used one at Golf Galaxy near me right now. I think I am going to pick it up just incase something happens to mine. I looked on eBay and there are several on there in that price range that I mentioned above. It is a great stick, I love the reduced offset vs. the anser & anser 2. I have had many other putters over the years and never putted better with anything else, that is why it is in my bag 20 years later. Here is a photo of mine.

2-1.jpg

those are great putters. although, not particularly valuable. how much less is the offset than an anser 2? i've not have an anser 4 in my mitts in a long time and have really had a hard time getting an answer...

thanks
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MoaningMMoaningM Members  1355WRX Points: 121Handicap: ScrPosts: 1,355 Platinum Tees
    I would imagine it's stainless that has had some aftermarket treatment done to it. As Mat said above Ping did a black version but i've never seen one on an anser 4 (not to say they dont exist). Great putters, and if it's becu under that black then they are usually worth at least double the stainless version!
    Posted:
  • TonyDTonyD Members  106WRX Points: 50Handicap: 12?Posts: 106 Fairways
    It's definetly not becu, as I have one and its not even close to it in color. Sorry for the crappy iphone pics. I've never seen a black oxide putter, but this putter is black enough that it could be.

I'll see if I can post a better pic with more lighting! image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Thanks to all who have helped so far!
    Posted:
  • astamm8astamm8 Members  1291WRX Points: 56Posts: 1,291 Platinum Tees
    i think stage is saying that it could be becu under that black finish, particularly if it's an aftermarket finish, that's a possibility.
    Posted:
  • wildwilly911wildwilly911 Members  2750WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,750
    its stainless like said, heat the tape up and pull it off, probably wont hurt the finish
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.