Putting Routine

nobreak1970 ·  
nobreak1970nobreak1970 Members  586WRX Points: 0Posts: 586
how important is it to your swing accuracy?
I just realized while I was on my practice green here in my house that my usual putting routine before the actual putt is crucial to me striking the ball in the sweet spot and having a straight roll.

I step back from the ball, feet touching together....I bend down a bit w/ a 35" putter at 5'11", bent at the elbows a bit, and take 2 practice strokes to lock my left wrist(right handed swing). I put the club head up to the ball at address, then right foot forward and to the right and left foot directly forward so that the ball is forward in my stance by an inch or so from center...and then I roll the ball. Works everytime, in the hole from 5-10 feet guaranteed. Now I'm doing this without break, etc. Just basic putting practice here.

Do you all rely on that type of "pre roll routine" to help with accuracy? Is it in my mind? I know it helps to get my left wrist completely locked down tight so I don't yip the ball at address.

Just curious.

Peace.
Posted:

Comments

• funkyfedorafunkyfedora Members  2212WRX Points: 2Posts: 2,212 Platinum Tees
    Look from the ball to the hole. I play the break in my head. When I get to the hole I rewind it back to the ball. That way I have the break in my head. Then, I just glance at the the hole and then at my ball and I putt. This is how I get my distance.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • PuttingDoctorPuttingDoctor The Putting Doctor Members  2119WRX Points: 1Posts: 2,119 Platinum Tees
    NB, by ingraining your routine you are releasing your mind to do what it needs to do to make more putts, WITHOUT you in the way.

A solid and repeatable routine is a winner, as long as it is not getting in the way of your actual success.

Your subconscious mind knows how much effort a putt needs, the more you do to reduce your thought process to minimum the better you'll putt under pressure.

As far as your left wrist breakdown, try taking your face to the target, through and after impact extending a little more down the target line.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Glen Coombe
    The Putting Doctor “Retired!”
    Level 3 SAM PuttLab Instructor
    Carribean Represemtative SAM Sports
    Creator of Perfection Platforms
    Http://puttingdoctor.net
  • PaulNPaulN Members  164WRX Points: 0Posts: 164
    I don't look at my pre-shot routine as being 'pre-shot' at all. It's part of my swing, whether it's a drive, approach, putt, or anything else. I map out the shot I want to play, select the club, then commit. If the routine is interrupted I start over.

That being said I think a solid routine it key to both accuracy and distance control. Just make sure you don't have your playing partners standing around all day while you shuffle and wiggle!
    Posted:
  • PuttingDoctorPuttingDoctor The Putting Doctor Members  2119WRX Points: 1Posts: 2,119 Platinum Tees
    PaulN, well said sir. I actually went in and did an edit to reflect my agreement. Make the whole process "routine."
    Posted:
    Glen Coombe
    The Putting Doctor “Retired!”
    Level 3 SAM PuttLab Instructor
    Carribean Represemtative SAM Sports
    Creator of Perfection Platforms
    Http://puttingdoctor.net

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.