Putter Weight

weissdabigman ·  
weissdabigmanweissdabigman Members  165WRX Points: 0Posts: 165
How does one choose an appropriate weight?
Greetings all.

I'm known as the '3 putt King of Brooklyn'. While I enjoy the laughter that follows my putting performances, I'm looking to relinquish my title.

I'm looking to have a putter custom made and was wondering how does one choose the weight. How about shaft length? My biggest problem seems to be with long putts that never make it close to the pin, leading to the inevitable 3-putt. I currently have an Odyssey White #1.

Thanks to all.
Posted:

Comments

• jefffannjefffann pablo Members  202WRX Points: 0Posts: 202
    when you 3 or 4 putt and sail the putter into a pond if it floats you need a heavier one.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • 502 to Right502 to Right Badds Members  8110WRX Points: 2Handicap: 8.3Posts: 8,110 Titanium Tees
    My advice:

1) Ditch the insert. Inserts are notorious for being inconsistent in distance.

2) Proper weight can only be decided by you. Go to a golf store and sample a variety of putter weights. As an alternative, you can add lead tape to your current putter to see if something heavier feels good.

3) In the absence of being able to sample other weights, I would recommend going with Scotty Cameron's stock set up for length and weight before the Studio Select line came out: 330 gram head at 35 inches, 340 gram head at 34 inches, and 350 gram head at 33 inches.

Finally, good distance putting is the result of proper velocity control in your stroke--and weight only plays a small role in that (in my opinion). Technique is much more important. Take a look at the teachings of David Orr (you can google his name with putters) and that should point you in the right direction.
    Posted:
  • weissdabigmanweissdabigman Members  165WRX Points: 0Posts: 165
    Excellent. I appreciate your helpful answer.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.