The cult of Cameron...

staunty

I hadn't touched a club for about 13 years until I started playing again last year. Obviously a lot has changed. Balata balls and the Cleveland VAS irons were new-ish when I had last played. So what is the deal with the Scotty Cameron putters? No, I have not tried one but it seems to me many people use one more from a status standpoint - to be able to say they have a Cameron.

Has anyone switched from a different manufacturer and noticed a difference in their putting? Has anyone dropped their putting average significantly? I am not knocking anyone who uses them but I want to know if they are THAT much better? I did see that he went to my High School though...thats pretty cool.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No -- Cameron is not better than other high end putters. But they do look good and they are fine putters.

Cameron mania was at its peak a couple of years ago. It's a nice putter if it fits you. But peak through the forums and if you know what you want, you can find a putter that is more customized to what you think you need at a similar price.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I own Scotty Cameron putters. I also own a Ping, an Odyssey or two, and a Never Compromise. I personally prefer the Camerons. They look great, are well balanced, and I prefer the crisp feel at impact.

But as we all know putting is mostly a mind game. There is no way to determine if they are worth the money. You cannot buy a good putting stroke. But if the putter instills confidence, whether it cost you $20 at a tag sale, or $2400 from Table Rock, then it is worth it.

The best advice to give is to go to a golf store that is well stocked and spend a few hours rolling golf balls.

No -- Cameron is not better than other high end putters. But they do look good and they are fine putters.

Cameron mania was at its peak a couple of years ago. It's a nice putter if it fits you. But peak through the forums and if you know what you want, you can find a putter that is more customized to what you think you need at a similar price.

I am not necessarily looking for a new putter. My view is, with a consistent stroke, you could just about use anything. I should probably get fitted at some point to get tips on the best style of putter for my swing. Beyond that however, I don't think I've ever missed a putt and thought to myself that it was the putters fault. Its always due to wrong speed/bad line/push or pull, etc. I guess I was just curious if anyone dropped their putt/round average by...say....5 putts? 4 putts? after switching to a Cameron? It seems to me the hype is due to great marketing. I am not a hater to those that choose things partly due to looks; I somewhat do the same myself.

Cameron makes a fine putter, and they are well received on Tour. There are plenty of other top tier putter companies, each with their own styles.

Ultimately, you need to decide what style of putter fits your eye the best. Then get fitted for length, loft, lie, and weight.

After that, decide what material gives you the best feel. Carbon steel, stainless, copper, aluminum, titanium, as well as other materials are used. Each has a unique feel.

From there, find a putter manufacturer that has what you are looking for. It may be a Cameron. It may be a different brand. The only thing that matters in the end is getting the ball in the hole.

Good luck with your search.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

They are that much better. When talking about price(ebay) they can be had cheaper than most competitors which I consider Bettinardi, Whitlam, and TP mills. Im with you on the status symbol thing though. I once thought that and refused to use one, staying faithful to my old Ping B60. I still wont use a red grip. But, after trying one there just weighted so perfectly and the feedback you get from a good stroke or bad stroke made me slow down my tempo a little which FOR ME equaled a great year in putting.

Cameron makes a fine putter, and they are well received on Tour. There are plenty of other top tier putter companies, each with their own styles.

Ultimately, you need to decide what style of putter fits your eye the best. Then get fitted for length, loft, lie, and weight.

After that, decide what material gives you the best feel. Carbon steel, stainless, copper, aluminum, titanium, as well as other materials are used. Each has a unique feel.

From there, find a putter manufacturer that has what you are looking for. It may be a Cameron. It may be a different brand. The only thing that matters in the end is getting the ball in the hole.

Off topic but how about this? When I dabbled in golf when I was younger, I didn't know anything other than straight back straight forward putting stroke. Now, I see there are two schools of thought with the straight back and straight forward approach and the arc-type stroke. I seem to do better with an arc when it comes to longer putts (feel coming off the head and distance control) yet, feel more confident with a straight stroke from short distance (even though the results aren't necessarily better with a straight stroke vs. arc from short distance). I know most advice says do what feels more comfortable...but...Is it "bad" to use two differing strokes?

They are that much better. When talking about price(ebay) they can be had cheaper than most competitors which I consider Bettinardi, Whitlam, and TP mills. Im with you on the status symbol thing though. I once thought that and refused to use one, staying faithful to my old Ping B60. I still wont use a red grip. But, after trying one there just weighted so perfectly and the feedback you get from a good stroke or bad stroke made me slow down my tempo a little which FOR ME equaled a great year in putting.

Cool, thanks. The money is worth it to me if it = lower numbers.

I bought into the hype last summer and got one (albeit at a bargain price of $150). I had been using an Odyssey WH and went to the local shop to play around. Practiced with a scotty and found one I liked. Through many rounds I tried to "convince" myself that it would help me putt better. When I didn't see those results I tried a bettinardi, ping anser 2, another odyssey, and several other brands. Three weeks ago I purchased an old Ping Anser for $15 off of craigslist. Best putter I've ever held in my hands. For comparison sake I played two rounds, alternating the scotty and anser each 9 holes. With the anser I putted 15 fewer times. Sure, the greens had an impact. Just sold the scotty for what I had paid and am happy with the anser. Of course that didn't stop me from buying radforas' Mizuno TP Mills he posted pics of...

Find what works for you - don't spend the money just to have one. Doesn't work so well when you're 3 and 4-putting with a $150+ putter.

Very well said!

Find what works for you - don't spend the money just to have one. Doesn't work so well when you're 3 and 4-putting with a $150+ putter.

Hah! I went a long time without picking up a club but I'm not that bad...I've gotten pretty good, pretty quickly actually. Sure, a 3 putt here and there but I need to improve on making those 10-15 foot birdies more consistently.

My putting average did not go down with a Cameron.

Actually, my putting stats decreased when I went to a new stroke. I used a SeeMore to do it.

Having been around awhile, I do not agree at all that you can pick up anything that is quality and putt well with it. A Cameron that doesn't fit your eye for aim won't sink more putts. Research from David Orr and Edel Golf is showing us that putter shape, lines or no lines, and the way you set up, will all affect how you aim and consequently, your ability to make putts. The putter picks you -- you don't pick it. Of course, if you want to be one of the lucky 10% that aims correctly with their putter, take the lotto and pick one that looks good to you.

To buy a putter, find out how you aim it -- aim a laser set just above the ground at a ball about 6-8 feet away with a mirror on your putter face, aim your putter, have someone remove the ball and see where you're aiming. You'll be surprised. But it will help you choose a putter.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I wouldn't refer to Scotty Cameron putters or their owners as a cult. They make a nice product and are comparably priced to other similar high-end putters. Some people favor them just like they favor a certain golf ball. Are pro V-1 users a cult?

Will a Cameron putter save you five strokes a round?...Only if it suits you a lot better than your current putter.

If you have a great stroke does the putter even matter?...Yes an no. Good mechanics help you roll the ball toward the intended target, but feel (weight, length, ball speed off the face, etc.) equals distance control. So a great putter can't just use any putter because distance control varies with model. But it is safe to say that if you have good mechanics you will putt well with any putter similar to the one you are used to. Not that this has anything specifically to do with Scotty Cameron putters, but I digress.

The best putters of the ball tend to stick with a certain putter for longer than any other club in their bag. On the flip side, the guys who I know that really struggle on the greens are the ones who swap putters every third round.

It just so happens that the putter which works best for me is a Cameron. Its not because its a status symbol or because I have fallen under the influence of "the cult of Cameron".

A little arrogant in the statement "they are that much better" I'd say. Really, many are making fine putters these days including some of those stated such as Bettinardi, T.P., Whitlam, C&L, etc. Don't buy from Ebay unless you're going after a collectable or you've gone and determined what style, shape, manufacture, material, etc. works best for you. AND it seems you will pay highest for a Cameron no matter where you buy it because of status and it's what many tour players are seen with.

Also remember these are also the most snaked if you play muni's and leave your bag unattended!

Welcome back to the game!

Scotty Cameron has his reputation from building a nice looking/feeling putter. His lines on his most popular putters are very classic and appeal to many people. However, to say it is better/worse than another putter is truly impossible. Especially this day in age, when we are seeing putters being sold for hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars. I wouldn't base your pick on what sells the most.

The best thing you can do is look at every putter STYLE you can possibly look at. This will let you see what you feel most comfortable with. Another thing to look for is if the putter will make you a better putter. Some say confidence will enhance your putting, some say a system will enhance your putting.

Some people prefer to push their hands forward when putting, some prefer center shafted putters, some prefer mallets while other want a blade.

If you want my opinion. I think that SeeMore is a great putter. Not only do they have good feel, but they give you a system. A system, that when stuck with and practiced, is proven to improve your putting. I hear a lot of people dis-crediting SeeMore because of their "lack" of PGA pros that play it. Truth be told, Zach Johnson (2007 Masters Champion) uses it, Trevor Immelman (2008 Masters Champion uses it, but didn't when he won the Masters, is using it this season) and Padraig Harrington (2008 British and 2008 PGA Champion, uses it for practice and some play in rounds). It is VERY popular with many pros, but they use it to practice with. SeeMore does not pay anyone to use their equipment, which is yet another testimony to it's success.

There are many PGA pros who you would never consider using a SeeMore who use it, or have used it.

Here are some names that have used or use it currently

Ernie Els

Sergio Garcia

Padraig Harrington

Trevor Immelman

Zach Johnson

Briny Baird

Vaughn Taylor

Stuart Appleby

Robert Allenby

Vijah Singh (won with it in 2000 I believe)

Payne Stewart (most memorable users EVER)

Greg Owen

Peter Lonard

Kevin Staddler

and many more Nationwide/PGA tour guys!

I wouldn't refer to Scotty Cameron putters or their owners as a cult. They make a nice product and are comparably priced to other similar high-end putters. Some people favor them just like they favor a certain golf ball. Are pro V-1 users a cult?

Will a Cameron putter save you five strokes a round?...Only if it suits you a lot better than your current putter.

If you have a great stroke does the putter even matter?...Yes an no. Good mechanics help you roll the ball toward the intended target, but feel (weight, length, ball speed off the face, etc.) equals distance control. So a great putter can't just use any putter because distance control varies with model. But it is safe to say that if you have good mechanics you will putt well with any putter similar to the one you are used to. Not that this has anything specifically to do with Scotty Cameron putters, but I digress.

The best putters of the ball tend to stick with a certain putter for longer than any other club in their bag. On the flip side, the guys who I know that really struggle on the greens are the ones who swap putters every third round.

It just so happens that the putter which works best for me is a Cameron. Its not because its a status symbol or because I have fallen under the influence of "the cult of Cameron".

No need to take offense or justify. I think it was clear that I wasn't referring to Cameron owners as members of a crazy Branch Davidian-type cult. Its a broad term. Same as some would say that Mac users are rather cult-ish in comparison to PC users.

No need to take offense or justify. I think it was clear that I wasn't referring to Cameron owners as members of a crazy Branch Davidian-type cult. Its a broad term. Same as some would say that Mac users are rather cult-ish in comparison to PC users.

Jeez, now you've done it. I use a Mac and a Cameron!

:lol:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I, too, like the feel of the Cameron's but I am a lefty and the styles offered to us do not fit my putting style. I wish they had the anser style with no offset (is that the Newport 1.5?) I just do not like offset putters. I like my Ping G2 ZSB - love the Zing style head with a longer neck and no offset. The Cameron's do have a solid feel though and I wish I had more options.

TItleist 917 D3 Diamana D+ 70s
Ping G 25 15* Diamana D+ 70s
Callaway Apex 20* Kuro Kage
Titleist 714 CB 4-PW DG s300
SM5 56/60 M Grind
Studio Select Newport 2

Kevin

I use a Mac and a Bettinardi does that mean you have a different secret handshake?

My guess is anyone with more then 3 pieces of Scotty paraphernalia or the 8X10 of himself he was selling on his website for $75 should be in a cult.

I use a Mac and a Bettinardi does that mean you have a different secret handshake?

My guess is anyone with more then 3 pieces of Scotty paraphernalia or the 8X10 of himself he was selling on his website for $75 should be in a cult.

Come on now. I was playing friendly and have been saying nice things about Bobby B... Can't everybody just get along? I like my Scotty's and don't give a flying f*** what anybody else uses...

:drinks:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Kevin

I wonder how much business he could get out of GSS Circle-T water bongs. :rolleyes: :lol:

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Kevin

Me too! Haha. I like his older putters, but that's about it

I personally like Camerons, I "used" a newport 2.5, and love it, but I recently just purchased a putter from C&L, and i dont think I will be able to go back to the cameron. It feels so good, and so smooth.

Now the Cameron is on the shelf as a backup.

C&L are great looking putters by first class gentlemen. Make a ton of birdies with it!

Kevin

It can get better...

HaHa, I love it. I'm thinking about getting one of Bobby's Kool-Aid putter covers, Very cool!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

try a ping karsten anser for a month then change to a scotty cameron newport.you will feel the differance thats all i can say,dont know how or why its just the best putter line in the world.although the new one on spy pics is a ping craze rip off!!!!

TITLEIST 913D2 9* rip 60s
TITLEIST 906F2 15* Stock Titleist s
TAYLORMADE RESCUE 09 19* rip std
MIZUNO MP H4 4
MIZUNO MP54 5-PW s300
MIZUNO MP-T4 52* 56*
SCOTTY CAMERON NEWPORT
CALLAWAY SR2